TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Fitting: I Need Some Convincing!

Stuka44

37 minutes ago, Grasmere5 said:

@chisag  @RickyBobby_PR

don’t necessarily disagree with thoughts on “there’s more to it . . .etc” 

but . . . Apart from the pleasure of the game golf is about the numbers and I genuinely believe that in the putting part of the game, very little will improve in putting numbers just by having a “fitted” putter. More time and effort should be spent on other aspects, ‘diminishing returns’ and all that.

Eg I reckon that most single figure players have putting stats similar to when they were mid teen handicap, it’s the last part of the game where numbers will be much different. Driving distance, driving accuracy, approach accuracy, chipping accuracy will all likely to be “much better” as h’cap comes down (or h’cap will come down because those aspects are getting better 😉) number of putts improvement will be marginal - even tour pros hole ‘only’ 50% of 8’ putts. 

Golf is about whatever people want it to be about. I don’t care to track my numbers over the course of a year or a few years. I only care what the scorecard shows at the end of the round. I’ve had days where I drive the ball well and scored high, and days where driving wasn’t great but shirt game and putting saved me.

Having clubs of any kind fit makes it easier to make the swing or stroke you want.

With putters it’s consistency  of roll, hitting intended target line, consistency of speed and tempo.

I promise you that my putting stats as a single digit handicap are much better than they were as a mid to high handicp. Less 3 putts, better lag putting, more holed short putts. And yes even that 8’ where pros make 50% higher handicaps make a much lower percentage. 

Handicaps come down by shooting lower scores. There are many ways of doing that. My handicap dropped significantly just by improving my inside 125 game. More consistent pitching and chipping. Reducing strokes on the green. Without much change in driving accuracy or distance. Some of my old playing partners were mid to low handicaps. Rarely lost a ball off the tee or on approach shots. Some were long some were short. Their scores depended largely on how well they managed the game with a short club in their hands. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, Grasmere5 said:

Apart from the pleasure of the game golf is about the numbers and I genuinely believe that in the putting part of the game, very little will improve in putting numbers just by having a “fitted” putter. More time and effort should be spent on other aspects, ‘diminishing returns’ and all that.

... OK, I guess I need to be more blunt. Having the right equipment matters. Period. You are completely over stating the obvious. I had plenty of students through the years that came to me in ill fitting equipment and changing that equipment made a marked difference not only in their scores but in their enjoyment. Ignorance is off the charts when it comes to golf equipment and especially putters. One of the big advancements is larger grips that helps many take hinging their wrists out of the equation or at least reduces that tendency. Hunched over with arms splayed out using a 35" putter can change radically going to a 33" and allowing the arms to hang more naturally. An arc stroke with a center shafted face balanced putter means you are fighting your equipment every stroke. 

... I could go on and on but it is much harder to hit more greens or make more putts if your equipment is ill fitting. My playing pard had ill fitting knockoff clubs with the exception of his TM Burner driver that had too little loft and too stiff a shaft. I kept asking him to go to a store with me and try some new clubs but he resisted. Finally Callaway had a free Demo Day at my course and I signed him up. It was his first fitting ever and he didn't want another  🤪  so he bought everything. Driver, 5 wood, 2 hybrids, irons and wedges. He changed nothing with his swing but his scores are about 5 strokes better. Never breaking 90, he regularly shoots in the 80's now but more importantly he just hits better shots and enjoys playing more because he is not fighting his equipment. 

... I don't think anyone puts a fitting above lessons, practicing and improving mentally. But all that is just much more difficult if you are in the wrong equipment. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, Grasmere5 said:

but . . . Apart from the pleasure of the game golf is about the numbers and I genuinely believe that in the putting part of the game, very little will improve in putting numbers just by having a “fitted” putter. More time and effort should be spent on other aspects, ‘diminishing returns’ and all that.

Eg I reckon that most single figure players have putting stats similar to when they were mid teen handicap, it’s the last part of the game where numbers will be much different. Driving distance, driving accuracy, approach accuracy, chipping accuracy will all likely to be “much better” as h’cap comes down (or h’cap will come down because those aspects are getting better 😉) number of putts improvement will be marginal - even tour pros hole ‘only’ 50% of 8’ putts. 

Your perspective is 100% correct from a particular vantage point.   The closer you are to the hole the less separation there will be between players.   Given a ball 3" from the hole and almost every golfer is equal.   Move to 8' and start getting some separation.  Move to 100 yards and more separation.  Move to 300 yards and even more separation.  This means as a player I should focus my attention on improvements the farther I am from the hole.   

Can I get better without having a fitted driver? Sure and using your general argument,  how many strokes will a fitted driver save me a round?  How about fitted irons?  Or fitted wedges?   Probably not many if any at all; does hitting 1 more FW make my score go down?      Stroke savings; with any club, can't be measured on a hole by hole or round by round basis;  it really requires season by season type comparisons to see improvements.   With a fitted driver,  my dispersion pattern is still probably going to be 50+ yards wide.  

While pros only hole 50% of their 8' putts,  do you think they would change putters if you told them you would save them 1 stroke per tournament?   

Players have basically 2 options when it comes to clubs:

1. Buy off the rack and figure out how to hit them.  
  2. Find the clubs that work with your natural tendencies.  

With both options, players can achieve professional status.  The potential disadvantage of number 1 is that under pressure players have a tendency to fall back to their natural tendencies.   If you went with number 2 performance may be slightly better under pressure because the equipment works with your tendencies and doesn't fight them 

The advantage of putter fitting is that I can find a putter that works with my tendency.  If I tend to pull putts,  I can find a putter that results in a face that is a little more open at impact.   I can find a weight that gives me better rhythm in my stroke which might help with distance control.   I can fine tune other aspects of the putter that reduces face at impact deviation from 1* to .75* which could result in a few more 10' makes.   

With a few exceptions,  a fitting won't magically transform you into a better golfer,  but it does put the equipment in your hands that could make you work a little less.  

At the end of the day, the only number that matters is the score after you complete your round.   With or without fitted clubs players typically have a range of scores over time.  I think fitted clubs; especially a fitted putter, with help lower the floor and ceiling scores slightly.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosil

I agree 100% that fitted equipment is the way to go - I’ve just been fitted for 4 SM9 wedges to replace my Cleveland RTX’s, next week having a driver assessment/fitting, expecting to end up with either a Ping or Cobra but open to the feel and number results 🤔👍

My point in this thread ( the OP not being convinced that a fitted putter is necessary) is not about “non-fitting of clubs” , it is that a “putter fitting” is the last thing a golfer needs if he is hoping to improve his golf/handicap etc. the improvement to scoring will come massively from every other part of his game before putting UNLESS he is so poor that he typically putts 36+ or has too many 3 putts. Even then a simple putting lesson will yield more useful results (cutting out silly stances or flapping elbows etc) than a ‘finely fitted putter’ which is not a game changer but will be icing on the cake. 😉

So I also think fitted clubs will help lower the floor and ceiling scores slightly but NOT especially with a fitted putter - I would need to see some numeric stats to believe otherwise.

Edited by Grasmere5

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Cleveland RTX mid grind 50, 58, 56, 60

Oddysey Versa Sabretooth putter (as used by Inbee Park)

Bushnell Pro X3 Rangefinder 

2 hours ago, Grasmere5 said:

My point in this thread ( the OP not being convinced that a fitted putter is necessary) is not about “non-fitting of clubs” , it is that a “putter fitting” is the last thing a golfer needs if he is hoping to improve his golf/handicap etc. the improvement to scoring will come massively from every other part of his game before putting UNLESS he is so poor that he typically putts 36+ or has too many 3 putts. Even then a simple putting lesson will yield more useful results (cutting out silly stances or flapping elbows etc) than a ‘finely fitted putter’ which is not a game changer but will be icing on the cake. 😉

The majority of strokes come from inside 125 yards, improving everything in the short game area including putting is going to lower scores much faster than hitting 14 fairways with driver.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, Grasmere5 said:

I'd agree that it can be considered icing on the cake;  just like the aftermarket putter shafts.    You seem to like numbers so I would say 36+ putts  isn't really a good assessment and even 3 putts might not be a great point to look at.   Personally,  if I was hitting 18 greens, I'd be happy with 36-38 putts a round.  If I miss every green,  I'd be worried if I was in the upper 20s.   If you want to really evaluate putting,  you need to look at things like make rates from specific distances,  misses inside 3', first putt distances, etc.   

Also,  have you thought about the fact that the silly stances and flapping elbows could be the direct result of an improperly fitted putter.  Too long, too short, to flat or too upright impacts how the players stands over the ball and how you make a stroke.   The instruction might be go get a putter that fits and then lets see how you putt.  

I do agree with your assessment.  Players should probably fit from tee to green since that would have the biggest impact on ability to score better.   But I would also say that there are different types of fitting.  Everyone should do a basic fitting where someone looks at loft, lie, length of the clubs and our ability to get adequate results; this includes putter.  Based on experience, I know the basic length and lie I need with putters, but I still try them and evaluate startline and distance control.   Detailed fittings where launch monitors and technology is used to perform the fitting might not be necessary especially with the putter.  I'd say the basic fitting would be free and detailed fittings come with a cost.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 10 months later...

Doesn't your putter swing vary over time to some extent?  As you get older, as in my case, you get soreness or tightness in one spot or another OR you are not as flexible as you once were.  How can your putter swing stay consistent and not vary overtime?  I'm sure my swing has changed over the past 12 years just through various attempts to improve it.  Maybe I'm answering my own question as I've been able to play the same putter for 12 years; so did my swing not change as much as I thought?  Maybe it's just that as I make changes to my swing, be that due to aging or due to trying to improve my putting, I learn to make it work with the club I have.  I like many here have problems hitting off mats so I find those type of fittings hard to benefit from.  Also,  you have good and bad days on the course so how do you expect to get a good fitting if you end up performing bad during the fitting?

35 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Doesn't your putter swing vary over time to some extent?  As you get older, as in my case, you get soreness or tightness in one spot or another OR you are not as flexible as you once were.  How can your putter swing stay consistent and not vary overtime?  I'm sure my swing has changed over the past 12 years just through various attempts to improve it.  Maybe I'm answering my own question as I've been able to play the same putter for 12 years; so did my swing not change as much as I thought?  Maybe it's just that as I make changes to my swing, be that due to aging or due to trying to improve my putting, I learn to make it work with the club I have.  I like many here have problems hitting off mats so I find those type of fittings hard to benefit from.  Also,  you have good and bad days on the course so how do you expect to get a good fitting if you end up performing bad during the fitting?

What significant changes do you think happen to the putting stroke?   If you change source of motion or setup there could be some changes.   As you said,  you have made adjustments to make your stroke work and this is how some people approach putting.   Others find the putter  what works  for how they are stroking putts.     

What distinguishes a good or bad performance?   Part of a fitting is establishing  consistency of setup and stroke and to find a putter that helps make things more consistent.    Don't we typically pick tools that are designed to make the specific task easier?  

Edited by cnosil

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

What significant changes do you think happen to the putting stroke?   If you change source of motion or setup there could be some changes.   As you said,  you have made adjustments to make your stroke work and this is how some people approach putting.   Others find the putter  what works  for how they are stroking putts.     

What distinguishes a good or bad performance?   Part of a fitting is establishing  consistency of setup and stroke and to find a putter that helps make things more consistent.    Don't we typically pick tools that are designed to make the specific task easier?  

Some days you tend to putt better than on other days.  Why is that?  Lots of factors that could contribute to it.  Obviously, if you get fit on an off putting day or on a great putting day the putter that is recommended is one that is fit to an extreme of your normal swing.  Say on your bad days you pull left more often and on the best days you are right on line.  Wouldn't a fitting on the pull left days with a club that helps start the ball on the hole not be counterproductive to you on a day that you are normally starting right on line.  Wouldn't the club fitting lead you to miss more right then?  This is also my concern with all single day club fittings and trying to fit someone into a club based on a 1 hour window.   

I think you need some kind of consistency as a minimum to get fit for any club.  Without that it would make more sense for lessons first before a fitting.  Sure a fitting could save time for many in determining club length, lie, grip size but club length and grip size are pretty easy to feel out by yourself and with a little bit of knowledge.  

I guess a fitting could work with lots of communication between fitter and fittee(?).

Am I missing something here in my assumptions?

Edited by Freddie

25 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Some days you tend to putt better than on other days.  Why is that?  Lots of factors that could contribute to it.  Obviously, if you get fit on an off putting day or on a great putting day the putter that is recommended is one that is fit to an extreme of your normal swing.  Say on your bad days you pull left more often and on the best days you are right on line.  Wouldn't a fitting on the pull left days with a club that helps start the ball on the hole not be counterproductive to you on a day that you are normally starting right on line.  Wouldn't the club fitting lead you to miss more right then?  This is also my concern with all single day club fittings and trying to fit someone into a club based on a 1 hour window.   

I think you need some kind of consistency as a minimum to get fit for any club.  Without that it would make more sense for lessons first before a fitting.  Sure a fitting could save time for many in determining club length, lie, grip size but club length and grip size are pretty easy to feel out by yourself and with a little bit of knowledge.  

I guess a fitting could work with lots of communication between fitter and fittee(?).

Am I missing something here in my assumptions?

We all putt better on some days than others but that is probably more related to picking the right speed, face variability, and green conditions.   I think people incorrectly believe that our swings and putting strokes vary widely.  We all have biases and we need to account for those biases…the left miss is a bias or a stroke flaw.   Your fitting tries to minimize the variability window because your biases are the same day in and day out.  A good putter fitter can observe what you are doing with your stoke and make recommendations.   Sure you can take lessons,  but we don’t always need to change what we do; sometimes we just need to understand what we do to be able to reduce our variability via practice and make corrections on the “bad” days.    

This is the same with a full swing.   The fitter looks at how you deliver the club and determines what components help get better performance from how you deliver the club.  Even with improvements through lessons that doesn’t mean the fitting changes.     

yes communication is key and your game should be discussed prior to and during any fitting.   This helps the fitter determine if you are having a bad day to help avoid the bad fit you are worried about.  

you can always fit yourself, but that takes significant time, effort, knowledge, and money.  

I think these thoughts are all genuinely plausible and most likely true.

iirc the OP was wondering about the usefulness of getting ‘fitted’ for a putter. Whilst I would never say don’t bother, or otherwise scoff at this I do believe it depends on what’s trying to be achieved. 

if it’s lowering scores and/or reducing handicap this is likely to be the last step after improving all other aspects of getting to the green.

As for putting stats, no one will ‘ever’ become a consistent  <30 putter even if they play with a perfect putter daily for 100 years, even tour pros av 31 putts.

So it’s not about better putting, it is about fewer putting, I’d love to hear of genuine consistent recorded fewer putts and my guess is it will be few!

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

1 hour ago, Grasmere5 said:

f it’s lowering scores and/or reducing handicap this is likely to be the last step after improving all other aspects of getting to the green.

As for putting stats, no one will ‘ever’ become a consistent  <30 putter even if they play with a perfect putter daily for 100 years, even tour pros av 31 putts.

So it’s not about better putting, it is about fewer putting, I’d love to hear of genuine consistent recorded fewer putts and my guess is it will be few!

no one has debated that improving your game farther from the green will produce more benefit than just improving  putting.  But that will depend on the skill set of the player.  A player they 3 putts regularly and misses half of their three footers could benefit from improved putting. Those type of improvements are would be more liked to skill building than fitting.   That said, finding a putter that works with versus against your stroke tendencies is always beneficial.  I have the opportunity to hit many of the putters that are release each year and while my putting skills is a large contributor to how well they perform, they each perform differently due to balance and weighting.  

PGA tour average for last season was sub 30 putts with the best players being sub 28 just like pretty much every season.  Couldn’t find year by year data, but Aaron Baddeley would be a good option for sub 30 average.  

that said, total putts is a terrible metric to measure putting.  Hit more greens you have more putts; miss greens putts are lower.   This is why metrics like stroke gained are now used.   You could also look at make rates from distances.   

Edited by cnosil

On 9/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, Stuka44 said:

Thank you to all 3 for the responses.  Cnosil I will take yours first.  I guess this is the question I am actually asking,  "I don't know what the benefit can be, or should be".  I "think" I am a decent putter.  I guess I'm kinda answering my own question here, "but I won't know unless I try something different perhaps",   I guess I would want to make sure that going back to what my putting was before, wouldn't be a problem.  Wouldn't want  that to get messed up.

Ricky Bobby & Kenny B  This is the type of "endorsement" I guess I am looking for.  Someone who didn't have a perceived problem, but found that a fitting that perhaps suggested a different type, length, or whatever they felt improved their putting.  So this is good I'm tilting a little more.

And Yikes I guess if I had bought a new putter in the last 10 years I would know they had gone up.  And I guess I am also just afraid(which doesn't seem to be the case depending) that it would be just another "sell job" to get me to buy something expensive!

So I just did a putter fitting as part of my official review of the Edel Array. I made a pared down video of the process, it might be worth checking out.

I thought I was a decent (maybe good) putter until I started keeping stats. Turns out that I am not nearly as decent as I thought. My fitting told me, at a minimum, that my current putter was too heavy. It also told me that I have a slightly arcing stroke and that I tend to slightly close the face through impact. Even if I end up not liking the Edel, I now have good information to get me into a putter that fits me better, and I would expect to see an improvement in my putting stats. Like you, I tend to balk at the price of new putters, so having the info from the fitting would help me find a used putter that actually fits my game.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

Well done #ProdigalDuffer for getting fitted, I’m all for players trying to do the best they can to feel better, play better etc. 

The new WHS system is scored over average of best 8 rounds out of the last 20, I’m fascinated to hear of your putting numbers over that period with new putter compared to previous putter. My expectation would be that the putting numbers best v worse v average will be little different but that’s not to say what’s been done is a waste of time - if it at least feels better then that is success. Fewer putts is a bonus.

The numbers are the truth but not necessarily the only thing that matters.

please let us know 👌

Edited by Grasmere5
Spellcheck

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

• 2 weeks later...

Go CROSS HANDED!  Then get fitted after you establish your own grip.   I did 8 yrs ago.  Per Jordan Spieth.  Love it, can use any face balanced mallet.  Nervous Nellie Brian Harman and now many other top pros are cross.  Spend 10 - 15 hours to start.  It took me a while to figure out exactly where and how to place the left, low hand.  LPGA rookie Hae Ran Ryu won an event last October cross handed, shooting 29 on her final 9.  I think the obvious part of fitting is shaft length and club head lie angle.  But really, figure out your grip first. 

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃