TESTERS WANTED! ×

2012 Battle of the Drivers! RBZ, R11S, Ping i20/G20, Razr Fit, Cleveland Classic, 910D2/D2

fairwaygolfusa

2012 Battle of the Drivers  

33 members have voted

1. 1. 2012's Best Driver

• Taylormade Rocketballz
    • Taylormade R11S
    • Ping i20
    • Ping G20
    • Callaway Razr Fit
    • Cleveland Classic
    • Titleist 910 D2/D3

RB ur witb is the R11 tp i cant find ur superfast 2.0 tp anywhere can u post a link up ?

Go to page 2.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Sorry to stray off topic again (interesting thread btw) but thought I'd simply add to the comments about smoking/tobacco.

My good friend and golfing buddy was diagnosed with mouth/tongue, throat and larnyx cancer on Oct. 1/11. I quit smoking that evening.

I won't gross you guys out with details but please believe me when I say, he's been through hell, yes that's understated. His wife and family are devastated and although the doctors have done amazing things, we are fearing the worst and praying for the best. Very nasty disease guys....quit, period.

I think the adjustable shaft is a huge bonus in choosing a driver for me also and being able to change the weights on the head. I still game the r11 with a rip gamma cut to a 44.25 playing length. Anytime I want I can always put in my fubuki that plays at a 45inch and just remove the extra weights on the head to reach my swing weight.

i20 was awesome but I really didnt want to cut it to my playing length and have to lead tape the head or add weights to the tip to get it back up to my swing weight.

Looks like its a close war between r11s and the 910s! which are both fully adjustable!

I so love this answer... that's the secret of TM. So easy to cut shorter and still get SW at good point...

Just for that : WAKE UP OTHER OEM !!!!!

hey guys i knw this has been mentioned somewhere else but i cant find it. would a non Tp sleeve fit a TP and a tp sleeve fit a non tp head? i remember seeing someone mention tp is .335 and non tp is .35

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Even though it seems like TaylorMade will end up being the favorite, I wanted to throw in a vote for the Cleveland Classic. I got to hit one on an indoor launch monitor last week, and I pretty much fell in love with it. I wasn't able to compare it to others (I have never hit the R11 or Razr), but the look, feel, and sound of the club are amazing. Also extremely low spin.

It has been said before, but online pictures don't quite do it justice. The color is pretty dark in person, and from address the head doesn't look much bigger than my 983K, something I look for in a driver. It feels extremely solid, and is quite forgiving as well. Put all this with a real Miyazaki shaft and I think I will be getting fit in a few months.

True it doesn't have the adjustability, but when I had an R9 I changed the settings on the first day and then never messed with it again, so that doesn't do much for me.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

Even though it seems like TaylorMade will end up being the favorite, I wanted to throw in a vote for the Cleveland Classic. I got to hit one on an indoor launch monitor last week, and I pretty much fell in love with it. I wasn't able to compare it to others (I have never hit the R11 or Razr), but the look, feel, and sound of the club are amazing. Also extremely low spin.

It has been said before, but online pictures don't quite do it justice. The color is pretty dark in person, and from address the head doesn't look much bigger than my 983K, something I look for in a driver. It feels extremely solid, and is quite forgiving as well. Put all this with a real Miyazaki shaft and I think I will be getting fit in a few months.

True it doesn't have the adjustability, but when I had an R9 I changed the settings on the first day and then never messed with it again, so that doesn't do much for me.

Cleveland Classics been getting a lot of love over here at our shop and online retail store. I havent got the chance to hit it yet but if I were to own one I would have to cut it 1.5 inches then would have to put led tape on its beautiful driver head which I really dont want to do.

True the adjustability is only used probably the first week I buy it and by the time my swing changes to adjust it again I would of probably bought a new driver but its nice to have because of the fact that it makes it easy for me to set up my specs to my new driver.

I wish my driver set up was a stock friendly one! <_>

-Ryan

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

Cleveland Classics been getting a lot of love over here at our shop and online retail store. I havent got the chance to hit it yet but if I were to own one I would have to cut it 1.5 inches then would have to put led tape on its beautiful driver head which I really dont want to do.

True the adjustability is only used probably the first week I buy it and by the time my swing changes to adjust it again I would of probably bought a new driver but its nice to have because of the fact that it makes it easy for me to set up my specs to my new driver.

I wish my driver set up was a stock friendly one! <_>

-Ryan

Point taken about the swing weight, but that raises a question from me. I can tell when a clubs swing weight is higher or lower, but I have always just adjusted to it. Are there performance benefits to certain swing weights vs swing speed, tempo, etc., or is it mainly just for comfort and feel?

I could probably pick my favorite swing weight out of the drivers I have, I have just never been "scientific" about it.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

I love the Razr Fit, but I've been demoing the Bridgestone 445 and it's a dang good club too!!! Very forgiving, great boring trajectory, nice distance. It's a great club!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

hey guys i knw this has been mentioned somewhere else but i cant find it. would a non Tp sleeve fit a TP and a tp sleeve fit a non tp head? i remember seeing someone mention tp is .335 and non tp is .35

Yes they're all interchangeable. The tips on the outside are the same, the only differences are the hosel bores. All driver shafted ones are .335 tip but some people use the fairway .350 sleeves in driver installs due to the tip size of their shaft. R11 tips also work in RBZ and R11s heads even though they only adjust a degree instead of 1.5 each way. The 1.5 degree tips work in older models too and all adjust as they should. TMag made everything interchangeable so you can use shafts you have from older clubs because they're consumer friendly and know it makes decisions easier for consumers.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I just received my RAZR Fit last week and it looks fantastic! I'm really glad they hid that seem on the crown with this model. For some reason I never really did care for it. I have the 8.5* version with a GD DI7X tipped 1". I have some extra weights coming for it too, so I'll be able to fool around with it a little bit which is nice. Haven't had a Callaway driver that I've ever been able to do that with. I'm interested in seeing the feel and hearing the sound of this driver. I do like a soft and muted driver, so I'm hoping this is similar to the ft tour.

I am going to order the Cleveland Classic next week, I'm just not real sure about what shaft I'm going to go with. I've never tried a Miyazaki shaft and don't know anyone personally who has played/plays one. I just think that the Cleveland Classic might be the one to replace my current driver due to the deep face of it.

I'm really interested to see if either driver will finally kick out old reliable (Speedline Classic DF 7.5* w/ Altus 2007 Proto). I don't really need a new driver; I'm just bored playing the same one.

i just officially jumped on the TM bandwagon today. I saw a deal on Global golf today too good to pass on and with my gamer in the shop right now, i went ahead a pulled the trigger on a used R11 TP with a Diamana Kaili 70 shaft for a little more than 240 bucks. cant wait till i get to play ard with it on the range later this week or the next. will be interesting to find out whether the TP kaili measures up to the Real Kaili

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

i just officially jumped on the TM bandwagon today. I saw a deal on Global golf today too good to pass on and with my gamer in the shop right now, i went ahead a pulled the trigger on a used R11 TP with a Diamana Kaili 70 shaft for a little more than 240 bucks. cant wait till i get to play ard with it on the range later this week or the next. will be interesting to find out whether the TP kaili measures up to the Real Kaili

Same shaft, different paint. All of the TP shafts are the exact same shafts as the aftermarket shafts because that's what the TP shafts are. They're usually a gram or two heavier due to paint but that's absolutely the only difference.

In The Bag

I went back and deleted my vote and revoted for the Callaway Razr Fit. And have to say that Callaway is the greatest club manufacturer ever. Not that they bought my vote. Well, actually they did, and I will give an honest opinion once I have the club and have tested it, but I did hit the Razr Fit 3 wood a few weeks ago and it was very hot. Also, for the past two weeks, my Callaway FT9 has been back in the bag. I loved the Titleist 909D3 but a couple of weeks ago I took the FT9 out on the course and was many yards longer. It is hard to say exactly howmuch longer because of being able to hit the down slope on several holes vs the upslope. But on the 11th hole, which is uphill all 486 yards. I have been right at the 200 yard marker with the FT9 and 230 out with the 909D3. This is mainly spin because the Titleist stop and the Callaway tends to continue to run even up hill. But on the Par 5 fifth the Callaway will catch the down slope and leave me 160 to 175 out. The Titleist hits and stops on top of the hill leaving 200 to 220 out. This is a huge difference.

I am looking forward to the Razr Fit.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Same shaft, different paint. All of the TP shafts are the exact same shafts as the aftermarket shafts because that's what the TP shafts are. They're usually a gram or two heavier due to paint but that's absolutely the only difference.

Yeh I was testing that Combination in the shop and was feeling that it's really awesome. I'm gna also pull the Px out of my Nike n get a sleeve put on it and try that out. I'm super excited

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Based on what you have listed I would say Cleveland Classic for my game. However I think there are others out there that may be better than what's on the list. Nike VRS and Bridgestone J40 would be two that I would add.

....All that said, I'll likely be playing an R11s simply because it will allow me to swap shafts. Other OEMS: WAKE UP AND SELL YOUR TIPS AT RETAIL!

X2. I LIKE being able to tweak my R11 and try new shafts without fuss.

I cut 2" off a driver shaft to see if a "short" shaft would add a little accuracy. It felt funny until I swapped out the 1 gram weight with a 5 gram weight. Can't do that on a lot of driver heads.

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

X2. I LIKE being able to tweak my R11 and try new shafts without fuss.

I cut 2" off a driver shaft to see if a "short" shaft would add a little accuracy. It felt funny until I swapped out the 1 gram weight with a 5 gram weight. Can't do that on a lot of driver heads.

BK

yes its awesome being able to play around with the weights and face angle and flight.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Based on what you have listed I would say Cleveland Classic for my game. However I think there are others out there that may be better than what's on the list. Nike VRS and Bridgestone J40 would be two that I would add.

Yes I'm surprised no one else had mentioned the Nike VR_S. I think it's very forgiving and long. Now I must admit I haven't hit any of the others listed but I do have a Ping i20 on it's way, when it arrives I can compare it to my VR_S.

What I have in my bag

Driver: Nike VR_S 9.5* R Flex Fubuki K shaft

Fairway woods: Nike VR_S 3 & 5 woods R Flex Fubuki FW shafts

Hybrid: Nike VR_S #3 hybrid R Flex Fukuki HY

Irons: Nike VR_S 4-PW R Flex True Temper Dynalite 110 shafts

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Black Oxide 52* and 56*

Putter: ???? haven't decided

I went back and deleted my vote and revoted for the Callaway Razr Fit. And have to say that Callaway is the greatest club manufacturer ever. Not that they bought my vote. Well, actually they did, and I will give an honest opinion once I have the club and have tested it, but I did hit the Razr Fit 3 wood a few weeks ago and it was very hot. Also, for the past two weeks, my Callaway FT9 has been back in the bag. I loved the Titleist 909D3 but a couple of weeks ago I took the FT9 out on the course and was many yards longer. It is hard to say exactly howmuch longer because of being able to hit the down slope on several holes vs the upslope. But on the 11th hole, which is uphill all 486 yards. I have been right at the 200 yard marker with the FT9 and 230 out with the 909D3. This is mainly spin because the Titleist stop and the Callaway tends to continue to run even up hill. But on the Par 5 fifth the Callaway will catch the down slope and leave me 160 to 175 out. The Titleist hits and stops on top of the hill leaving 200 to 220 out. This is a huge difference.

I am looking forward to the Razr Fit.

Agree with Rover, I hit the RAZR Fit driver myself, 10.5 R flex stock shaft, definitely not my specs, BUT I love the sound and feel coming off the driver, low spin, I can see why people are buying into this club, just a VERY good driver even if you don't adjust anything.

Archived