Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2012 Battle of the Drivers! RBZ, R11S, Ping i20/G20, Razr Fit, Cleveland Classic, 910D2/D2

fairwaygolfusa

2012 Battle of the Drivers  

33 members have voted

1. 1. 2012's Best Driver

• Taylormade Rocketballz
    • Taylormade R11S
    • Ping i20
    • Ping G20
    • Callaway Razr Fit
    • Cleveland Classic
    • Titleist 910 D2/D3

2012 brought us a lot of new choices of drivers ( like every year :) ) Which one is the best in your opinion or which one did you buy and game?

Couple of drivers I'm looking forward to testing out are the Cleveland Classic and the Razr Fit.

203.jpg

Ryan

Fairway Golf

logo.jpg

Email: [email protected]

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

If I had to buy one driver and play it stock, it would be between the i20 and the RAZR Fit, I think. I absolutely LOVE the look and feel of the i20, just not sure if it has the forgiveness I need.

All that said, I'll likely be playing an R11s simply because it will allow me to swap shafts. Other OEMS: WAKE UP AND SELL YOUR TIPS AT RETAIL!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

i sstill voted D2 n D3 because its still that good with plenty of shaft options.

but if were talking 2012 alone id go with the R11s, it feels good, very forgiving. probably doesn feel as nice as the i20, but the forgiveness and the ability to swap out shafts trumps it.

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I think the adjustable shaft is a huge bonus in choosing a driver for me also and being able to change the weights on the head. I still game the r11 with a rip gamma cut to a 44.25 playing length. Anytime I want I can always put in my fubuki that plays at a 45inch and just remove the extra weights on the head to reach my swing weight.

i20 was awesome but I really didnt want to cut it to my playing length and have to lead tape the head or add weights to the tip to get it back up to my swing weight.

Looks like its a close war between r11s and the 910s! which are both fully adjustable!

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

RAZR Fit

Razr Fit is getting a lot of love this year. Good work Callaway for stepping it up and bringing a driver people wanted!

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

• SPY VIP

Razr Fit is getting a lot of love this year. Good work Callaway for stepping it up and bringing a driver people wanted!

Granted I have been taking a bunch of lessons, but the RAZR Fit is easier to hit and much longer than my RAZR Hawk.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Granted I have been taking a bunch of lessons, but the RAZR Fit is easier to hit and much longer than my RAZR Hawk.

Have you played around with the adjustable settings on the razr fit yet?

Ryan-

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

• SPY VIP

Have you played around with the adjustable settings on the razr fit yet?

Ryan-

When I got fit with it in Carlsbad, we determined that I was getting the best results from setting it open with draw weighting. So far, that has been the magic combination. I have kept the 3w and 5w at neutral.

Volvo Intorqueo

When I got fit with it in Carlsbad, we determined that I was getting the best results from setting it open with draw weighting. So far, that has been the magic combination. I have kept the 3w and 5w at neutral.

I would of never thought of having that combo of open face and draw weighting. I will try that on the launch monitor and see if its works for me also. Did you go to the Callaway headquarters to get fitted? would love to visit them since we are located just 30mins away.

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Surprised no one has said the Adams Fast 12LS. Its going in my bag.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

If I had to buy one driver and play it stock, it would be between the i20 and the RAZR Fit, I think. I absolutely LOVE the look and feel of the i20, just not sure if it has the forgiveness I need.

All that said, I'll likely be playing an R11s simply because it will allow me to swap shafts. Other OEMS: WAKE UP AND SELL YOUR TIPS AT RETAIL!

are you referring to the Taylormade Tip Inserts for the shafts to be inserted to the head? $(KGrHqMOKn!E5DBrNh9DBOVU6DuNb!~~48_3.JPG

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Surprised no one has said the Adams Fast 12LS. Its going in my bag.

I absolutely loved hitting the Adams Fast 12LS and I heard a lot of tour pros are gaming them but I still cant take my R11 out the bag

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

• SPY VIP

I would of never thought of having that combo of open face and draw weighting. I will try that on the launch monitor and see if its works for me also. Did you go to the Callaway headquarters to get fitted? would love to visit them since we are located just 30mins away.

Fit at Callaway Ely Performance Center. You can read more HERE

Volvo Intorqueo

Fit at Callaway Ely Performance Center. You can read more HERE

Reading the article now. I should of asked this after reading it all but just curious how much a fitting like yours would cost? Thanks and Im going to go back to the article now.

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

I have decided to get a new driver in 2 months. Why two months? Because one it is my birthday and two, I am rewarding myself and that gives me something to work towards. Actually it is 77 days until my birthday, if I take the money that I currently spend on tobacco I will have almost $400. (Extra) in my golf budget.

If I had to make a choice then the Titleist 910D3 is my first choice right now, but I think by the time I am ready to make the choice, it could very well be something else.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I have decided to get a new driver in 2 months. Why two months? Because one it is my birthday and two, I am rewarding myself and that gives me something to work towards. Actually it is 77 days until my birthday, if I take the money that I currently spend on tobacco I will have almost $400. (Extra) in my golf budget.

If I had to make a choice then the Titleist 910D3 is my first choice right now, but I think by the time I am ready to make the choice, it could very well be something else.

I am also having the d3 on the top of my list but theres also R11 n R11s.the pain in the ass thing is that the r11 has been pulled off the shelf here at many major golf stores so i can t get a hold of them to try side by side

but im definitely goin to change the Nike once it comes back so i guess its another driver another year. i was hoping not to buy a driver in 2012 but i guess not

dude quit the tobacco, i jst quit as well. thk abt it a scotty every 10 weeks. at least thats wut it costs in australia

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I am also having the d3 on the top of my list but theres also R11 n R11s.the pain in the ass thing is that the r11 has been pulled off the shelf here at many major golf stores so i can t get a hold of them to try side by side

but im definitely goin to change the Nike once it comes back so i guess its another driver another year. i was hoping not to buy a driver in 2012 but i guess not

dude quit the tobacco, i jst quit as well. thk abt it a scotty every 10 weeks. at least thats wut it costs in australia

I actually quit smoking jan 1st of 2012 and bought myself a Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 to celebrate. We have R11 and R11s heads here to test out at our shop but thats a far walk from Australia to San diego,CA :)

Good luck with the quitting and spend that money on golf!

logo.jpg

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

I vote for none of the above. Why? Because after trying all of them, my Tour Issued Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP with the Tour Issue RIP Phenom is still longer than all of them, by 12 yards at the narrowest margin (RBZ Tour was next longest followed by the R11 TP I played all of last season).

And I've figured it up, if I were to quit dipping Copenhagen, I'd save right at $2k a year (10-12 cans a week at $3.33 a can).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Gamed the Adams 9064LS...until last Friday. It was club-fitting day, and while the Titleist 910D3 was very, very nice (and a close second), the i20 is now in my bag (stock shaft, 45 1/4"). Great contact, distance and ball flight for my swing (+20-25 yards over the Adams). Sweet feel and sound. I could care less about its lack of adjust-ability. Immediately traded the Adams and an older Titleist 905R for a little scratch to help offset the *ouch* cost of a new model club- something I'd never bought before now. The Adams was long and forgiving, but the Ping is better IMO. Have I gamed it for a full 18-hole round yet? No. But I can't wait.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I vote for none of the above. Why? Because after trying all of them, my Tour Issued Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP with the Tour Issue RIP Phenom is still longer than all of them, by 12 yards at the narrowest margin (RBZ Tour was next longest followed by the R11 TP I played all of last season).

And I've figured it up, if I were to quit dipping Copenhagen, I'd save right at $2k a year (10-12 cans a week at $3.33 a can).

is snuff tobacco better than cigarette tobacco?we dont really chew it over here.

is the new tour issued superfast neutral in face angle? would it be similiar if i bought just a off the shelf tp head and have the face angle bent to neutral? i tried the RBZ non tp model and i could care less for the feel of that club.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

is snuff tobacco better than cigarette tobacco?we dont really chew it over here.

is the new tour issued superfast neutral in face angle? would it be similiar if i bought just a off the shelf tp head and have the face angle bent to neutral? i tried the RBZ non tp model and i could care less for the feel of that club.

Its a habit I'm trying to break. I'll say that.

I have a version 2 head off the tour van. There is also a retail version 2. Here distinguished by having dual serial #'s on the hosel. The difference in tour and retail is tolerances. Mine is marked 8.5 and it digitally lofts at 9.2 degrees with a 2.1 degree open face angle (the version 1's were 3.5+ degrees open). Mine was also COR tested and tested at the legal limit of .830. The retail versions have a more broad range of tolerance. That said, the retail version 2's are still longer for me when testing them.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Its a habit I'm trying to break. I'll say that.

3.33 per can, that is cheap, it is $6 a can here now. I am using the patches. In the past when I tried to quit after about 36 hours I was concerned that I would become homicidal and started back. It is now 7 days and not a real problem.

Now back to golf.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

3.33 per can, that is cheap, it is $6 a can here now. I am using the patches. In the past when I tried to quit after about 36 hours I was concerned that I would become homicidal and started back. It is now 7 days and not a real problem.

Now back to golf.

I buy it 3 cans at a time at that price, it's over $4 if I don't buy 3 at a time. I don't want to use a patch or gum or anything cause I'd still have a dependence.

And yes, back to golf.

In The Bag

battle of the drivers is compliment with the topic of battle of tobacco here. lol good to knw many of u guys out there are battling tobacco with me.

i will have to try out the version 2 if it ever comes out in australia. its actually quite a pain to get shafts and stuff here it costs a lot more and its harder to source

when u say dual serials u mean they have 2 independent serials etched on the hosel?

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

battle of the drivers is compliment with the topic of battle of tobacco here. lol good to knw many of u guys out there are battling tobacco with me.

i will have to try out the version 2 if it ever comes out in australia. its actually quite a pain to get shafts and stuff here it costs a lot more and its harder to source

when u say dual serials u mean they have 2 independent serials etched on the hosel?

Yes, they're stacked. You should be able to see it in my WITB pics.

In The Bag

Yes, they're stacked. You should be able to see it in my WITB pics.

RB ur witb is the R11 tp i cant find ur superfast 2.0 tp anywhere can u post a link up ?

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Archived