TESTERS WANTED! ×

2022 PGA Tour Player of the Year - Scottie Scheffler

GolfSpy TCB

image.png

Scottie Scheffler was named the 2022 PGA Tour Player of the Year this week with 4 victories.  

• 1st Major of his career - The Masters Tournament
  • WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
  • Arnold Palmer Invitational
  • WM Phoenix Open

2022 was certainly a breakout year for Scottie, as his first career win came this year at the Phoenix Open.  

In your opinion... was this the right choice?  Should another player have won Player of the Year?  

Cameron Smith won the Players Championship and the Open Championship along with the Sentry TOC.  Rory McIlroy also had 3 wins with the Tour Championship, RBC Canadian Open and the CJ Cup (including 2nd, 8th, T5th, and 3rd at the 4 majors respectively).  

Will there be a breakout player in 2023?  What are your thoughts?

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

image.png

Scottie Scheffler was named the 2022 PGA Tour Player of the Year this week with 4 victories.  

• 1st Major of his career - The Masters Tournament
  • WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
  • Arnold Palmer Invitational
  • WM Phoenix Open

2022 was certainly a breakout year for Scottie, as his first career win came this year at the Phoenix Open.  

In your opinion... was this the right choice?  Should another player have won Player of the Year?  

Cameron Smith won the Players Championship and the Open Championship along with the Sentry TOC.  Rory McIlroy also had 3 wins with the Tour Championship, RBC Canadian Open and the CJ Cup (including 2nd, 8th, T5th, and 3rd at the 4 majors respectively).  

Will there be a breakout player in 2023?  What are your thoughts?

Definitely agree with this. In part because he helped me win Fantasy Golf this year, but he was so steady and just such a force this whole season. 

Big fan of Scottie and his game.

For next season Cam Young is the obvious pick I think. However guys like Theegala and Riley also had stellar new seasons.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For next season Cam Young is the obvious pick I think. However guys like Theegala and Riley also had stellar new seasons.

Cam Young is REALLY impressive... I think it is just a matter of time for him - I agree... and I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Major Champion in 2023. I also can't argue with Sahith Theegala he has the game to post multiple wins this next year.

Even though Tom Kim came out of nowhere to win last year... He is also an intriguing potential for a young star in the making!  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Yes, pretty hard to argue against this decision/award. One of the best season records in tour history. That he also helped Jamie win the FTx league, well, I won't hold that against him. 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Scottie was outstanding this year, incredible how consistent he played. I really enjoy watching Will Zalatoris as well. Some other young players mentioned that has me excited for the future of the PGA! 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I think Scottie was a great choice for this award. Though I think Cam Smith would have won it, if not for joining LIV. His stretch lasted more through major season than Scottie's did. And he won 2 of the 5 majors (that's right I said it and you @ me all day) and he was in the final pairing at Augusta with Scheffler. Rory is always a great pick. And Zalatoris did get stronger as the year went on. I would say a notable name not included here are Rahm and Justin Thomas. Thomas at least won the PGA, but overall it was probably slightly disappointing seasons for both of them. Still top tier players that are young and full of talent, so I expect to see them back in this conversation soon.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I think Scottie Scheffler was the obvious choice for the 2022 PGA Tour Player of the Year.  He had a consistently good year start to finish.

I'm not sure how much of a breakout candidate he is, but Sam Burns played well this year and may be poised for a good next year.  It's sort of hard as there are several younger players who have committed to or have been rumored to join LIV.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

4 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

I really enjoy watching Will Zalatoris

I agree JNoble - it is hard not to talk about the future of the PGA without mentioning Will Zalatoris.  I mean it seems like everyone has been asking "when will he finally win" for several years... but he is only a year+ into his PGA career.  I hope the injury is a short lived one, and not something that plagues him in years to come.

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

And he won 2 of the 5 majors (that's right I said it and you @ me all day)

I'm not arguing with that comment DoP.  The Players is as much a Major in my book as the PGA is.  The Masters is... well The Masters... and the Opens are unique in their own right... the Players should be ranked up there with the PGA as far as cred.  In my opinion, if there was anyone giving Scheffler a run for this year's vote... it would be Cam Smith.  Crazy to think Scheffler had all those wins by the Masters in April.

1 hour ago, Golf2Much said:

Sam Burns played well this year and may be poised for a good next year

That is another great choice for leading the pack next year G2M.  He did have a great year this year too, but was overshadowed by some of the others mentioned above.   

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

I think Scottie Scheffler was the obvious choice for the 2022 PGA Tour Player of the Year.  He had a consistently good year start to finish.

I'm not sure how much of a breakout candidate he is, but Sam Burns played well this year and may be poised for a good next year.  It's sort of hard as there are several younger players who have committed to or have been rumored to join LIV.  

Totally forgot Burns, yes he really improved as the season progressed. Could make a big move in '23.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I believe the obvious choices were Cam Smith and Scottie Scheffler.  Cam's move to LIV took that hard choice away.  I think that either of those two were deserving of the PGA Player of the Year, both peaking at different times of the year, but both also showing strong throughout the year.

Wil Zalatoris is my pick for coming into his own in 2023.  His game is just too solid to ignore and with the first win under his belt, I see much more confidence when the pressure is on next year.  I'm also keeping an eye on Theegala.  His game impresses me.

Dylan Wu, a member from my last club, had his rookie year on the big tour, but failed to keep his card.  I look to see him do well on the KF Tour and earn his card again.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

13 hours ago, CarlH said:

I'm also keeping an eye on Theegala.  His game impresses me.

Theegala at Fortinet.. I'm making my prediction now. 😉

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I think it was a great decision--- Scottie came a long way in a year. With all the fresh talent I see it being a great year for the Tour.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 9/14/2022 at 7:40 AM, Golfspy_TCB said:

Theegala at Fortinet.. I'm making my prediction now. 😉

Well... so much for my predictions...but he did play pretty well 🙂 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I don't disagree with Scheffler as player of the year.  But I was really pulling for McIlroy.  I know a lot of guys put Smith as Scheffler's competition, but in my mind McIlroy had a better season than Smith.  McIlroy and Smith both had 3 wins this year, and while Smith won a major, McIlroy was the only one to finish in the top 10 in all 4 majors, won the Tour Champ, and was 1st in strokes gained.

I can't really argue McIlroy beating out Scheffler based on numbers though.  Scheffler had more wins and more top 10 finishes overall.  And even Rory said that he should win Player of the Year.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

wz has a serious injury. i’m just hoping he recovers fully and is able to swing away pain free at some point next year. rory is playing possibly his best golf right now, but scheffler deserved the win. i’m betting on lowry and rory to be in the thick of it next year, with scheffler and spieth back in the mix. i’m always pulling for finau, but he just can’t seem to put it all together. 

on the ladies side i’ll be cheering for s.h. park to get back to and eclipse her previous form, hannah green and georgia hall. would obviously love to see nelly korda continue to get even better. i think she has enough talent to be the best ever on the ladies side, though she can probably never win as many as annika, who is and will most likely continue as the lady g.o.a.t. kupcho and fassi should continue to make strides as well. 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

5 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

hannah green and georgia hall.

2 of my favorite swings on the LPGA, along with Jin-Young Ko.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1