TESTERS WANTED! ×

3w Shaft Weight Help...

brutal brutus

At some point in the near future, I am going to be standardizing the flexes of my "wood's" shafts, making them all 6.5 X. I also want to get a better gapping of the weights and am looking for some advice on what weight I should get for my 3w. My TSi2 3w has a 55g S Kuro Kage shaft on it and while I do like it, I can definitely tell the difference when I'm hitting a lot of 3w's in a round and then pull my driver or vice versa...

Currently, I have 6.5 HZRDUS shafts on my Diver(60g) and 17°(90HY) hybrid. Then a Project X Evenflow 6.5 90HY on my 20° and while not a HZRDUS, I really like this shaft and seems to pair really well with the others. I'm also going to get a HZRDUS 90HY 6.5 for my 24°. 

So... with my Driver at 60g and all three of my hybrids eventually being 90HY models, should I get a 70g or 80g HZRDUS shaft for my 3w? If it makes any difference, keep in mind that my 3w is a High Launch 16.5 TSi2, so it's basically a 4w...

Thanks

Edited by brutal brutus

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

3 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

At some point in the near future, I am going to be standardizing the flexes of my "wood's" shafts,

How can you standardized flexes when there is not standard of flex in the industry. Unless you are putting the same weight class from the same shaft line in all your woods there is no standard.

9 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

looking for some advice on what weight I should get for my 3w. My TSi2 3w has a 55g S Kuro Kage shaft on it and while I do like it, I

The typical recommendation is to go one weight class heavier than driver for 3w for 5w it could be the same or night but for all of that it’s person dependent. I’ve used the same weight in driver and 3w.

12 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

So... with my Driver at 60g and all three of my hybrids eventually being 90HY models, should I get a 70g or 80g HZRDUS shaft for my 3w? If it makes any difference, keep in mind that my 3w is a High Launch 16.5 TSi2, so it's basically a 4w..

Whether or not the hzrdus will work for you in a fairway wood or not is something anyone can say yes or no to. You will need to test and see if that shaft works for your swing in a fairway wood and provides the ball flight you like

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How can you standardized flexes when there is not standard of flex in the industry. Unless you are putting the same weight class from the same shaft line in all your woods there is no standard.

I just meant that I wanted to make all my Woods and Hybrids the 6.5 flex on the TrueTemper scale. Bad choice of words I guess.

The typical recommendation is to go one weight class heavier than driver for 3w for 5w it could be the same or night but for all of that it’s person dependent. I’ve used the same weight in driver and 3w.

Whether or not the hzrdus will work for you in a fairway wood or not is something anyone can say yes or no to. You will need to test and see if that shaft works for your swing in a fairway wood and provides the ball flight you like

Thanks.

Yea, I was a bit worried about that but since I've had good results with the driver and hybrids, I think I will be ok... and if not, then I get to tinker some more... Win/Win😉

Edited by brutal brutus

34 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

just meant that I wanted to make all my Woods and Hybrids the 6.5 flex on the TrueTemper scale. Bad choice of words I guess.

The flex is only comparable to three shaft line and weight class you choose.

If you use hazardous smoke black in 60g 6.5 it’s not the same flex as the black 70g 6.5. It’s not going to nearly the same in the hybrids either.

While butt trimming the shaft isn’t going to change flex you are taking weight off so even if you went hzrdus black 60g 6.5 in all shafts there could be a feel difference once you are done tip and butt trimming. Will this affect how the club feels performs for you that’s an unknown and can only be determined by trying it.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Maybe I'm not quite good enough anymore to notice a difference because all three of my TT 6.5s seem to load the same and I can lay into them without fear of slicing the way my stiff shafts can sometimes.

Edited by brutal brutus

9 hours ago, brutal brutus said:

Maybe I'm not quite good enough anymore to notice a difference because all three of my TT 6.5s seem to load the same and I can lay into them without fear of slicing the way my stiff shafts can sometimes.

If so that’s good. Some people aren’t as sensitive to changes as others. Unless something is way too light or too heavy or like hzrdus black too stiff I don’t have many issues playing same shaft in driver and wood.