Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Maxfli TriFli...whos tried them?

LickyNatch

Has anyone tried the TriFli balls? I've always been curious but haven't bought any due to the low compression and fear of losing too much spin. The price is always intriguing. What are everyone's thoughts?  

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST200 9.5*

4 Wood: :ping-small: G25 16.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 19*

Irons: :cobra-small: MAX 4-GW

Wedge: :nike-small: VR X3X 56*

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER11v

Launch Monitor: Ernest Sports ESB1

I found a couple in one of my dew sweeper rounds. The next day I did play 18 with one and frankly was impressed with the performance. If I did not have so many Srixons and had to go back to buying balls I would put those near the top of my list for the quality and price point.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

From a distance it appears to be a 3 piece with an Ionomer cover instead of urethane. Judging from the quality and performance of other Maxfli balls under DSG ownership, should be worth trying if you don't want to pay the extra $5 for Maxfli Tour.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

So I grabbed two boxes on a 2/$40 deal at GG and played with them yesterday. They feel GREAT. Drivers were carrying 250-260 and rolling out another 20+. Irons felt great as well. I was nervous about the greenside spin but I had no problem putting on the brakes and even backing up a few approach shots. I was REALLY nervous about how they would feel off the putter but they were great there too. This is a true sleeper ball. I hope MGS gets it in the test in the upcoming years! 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST200 9.5*

4 Wood: :ping-small: G25 16.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 19*

Irons: :cobra-small: MAX 4-GW

Wedge: :nike-small: VR X3X 56*

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER11v

Launch Monitor: Ernest Sports ESB1

• 4 months later...

Picked up a couple of dozen of these recently and gamed one today. Pleasantly surprised to say the least!  Good spin into the greens and solid off the tee.  They were on sale for 2 for $45 so I had to give em a chance.  The only problem is they don't come in yellow however I will tee the same ball up tomorrow. It reminds me when my Uncle Rufus told Aunt Gertrude to bring him another glass of stump liquor.  He said he can't tell by the first glass if it was drinkable.  I'll be taking another sip of those triflis!💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

45 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

OG,

Are you playing the new one of prior gen? It's sad that many new balls do not come out in yellow these days.

It's the new ball so if it continues to impress I suppose I will have to get used to the white version.  

Cleveland

I have two rounds under my belt (80 & 83)  with this ball and it continues to bring a smile.  More to come!

Cleveland

• 2 months later...

I’m a frequent hacker - not particularly good, but play 2-3 times weekly spring-fall in MN.   On my muni home course, mid-80s to mid-90s is my norm on that lovely 5200yd par 68.  After 3 so-so rounds I was feeling pretty down about my game.  My fourth round of the year was with the Trifli.  It was easily my best round of the year and one of my best ever there.  I have been playing mostly Kirkland balls for the past few years because I’m cheap and Kirklands were supposed to be a great “cheap” ball.  I’ll occasionally play a found ball, but have given-up that bad practice.  Last year I went through a dozen Maxfli Tour yellow balls.  They were OK, but not the best performers for me - similar feel and results as the Kirklands. I had 2 more boxes of yellows that I returned, mostly because the yellow scuffed so badly from iron shots, they were practically unplayable after 2-3 holes each (assuming I didn’t lose one).  With my refund, I bought a couple boxes of Triflis near the end of last season and finally started hitting them yesterday.  I’m in the 85-95 mph driver swing speed - not really sure - 220-230 yd is a good drive for me.  Sometimes 250.  

The Trifli, I know, is a lower compression and is an ionomer cover, but seems to be a well-made 3-piece ball.  Yesterday the Trifli yielded 3 or 4 of my best drives ever (subjectively) and felt noticeably soft off the tee but not at all “squishy”.  And the ball really flew on a piercing trajectory.  Nice.  Iron shots were finally flying as far as I expected (unlike the Kirklands which were predictably unpredictable), had a nice trajectory, stopped nicely on the green (which I was hitting more frequently).  Well-struck irons had a nice crisp feel and didn’t scuff much.  They felt good putting and I like the alignment stripes (but one player asked if I was playing a range ball because of the stripes😄). 

My next couple rounds will be with the Trifli, for sure, and I’ll be able to be a bit more objective, but I’m really impressed after one round.

Edited by Aim490

Lousy golfer, but playing makes me happy.😀

WITB:
PXG Proto 0811X+ Driver
PXG Proto 0341X 5W
PXG Proto 0317X 22deg and 25deg Hybrids
PXG Gen3 0311XP irons 5-GW (5i only for chipping from under trees 😕)
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52deg & 56deg wedges
Putter-PXG Gunboat w/Superstroke regrip + others I design and mill from super-dense wood.

So, I forgot to ask - when will MGS get around to testing this ball?  At $40 for 2 doz. they are a very good deal.  Will there be a review of non-urethane-cover balls for the 80-90 percent of us who are simply happy just to hit a green in regulation and greenside spin has minimal impact on our game?  

WITB:
PXG Proto 0811X+ Driver
PXG Proto 0341X 5W
Putter-PXG Gunboat w/Superstroke regrip + others I design and mill from super-dense wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Trifli has emerged for 2023 with a new "Fairway Finder" dimple pattern.  The 2022 Trifli has an icosehedron (regular) pattern with fairly uniform sized dimples (unknown #).  The 2023 Trifli now has the same dimple pattern used by last year's StraightFli (and possibly 2023's, too) odd-ish dimple pattern with larger dimples configured into triangular groups around the ball and smaller dimples between them.  Maxfli says it helps the ball flight bend less.  I can't reasonably expect THAT much help from a "legal" golf ball.  I'm still a firm believer that hitting the ball properly will make it go straight, but, like my "Game Improvement" club models, I'll take all the help I can get.  In the 2 pics I attached here the 2023 Trifis are on the left.  The 2nd pic, if you zoom, shows the different dimple patterns (2023 on the left).  The new alignment lines are orange vs. black.  They both work.  Funny story - a guy I was playing with a week or two ago asked if I was playing a range ball.  The black alignment stripes on the Trifli had confused him.  I said "No" a bit indignantly then then yanked my tee shot into a field out of bounds...sigh.

Anyway, I now have 5 rounds in on my home course using only Trifli balls and have nothing but praise.  I've had some very good front 9's but got more erratic on the back. Three times I finished with the same ball I started with (yet lost a bunch on a couple "stinky" rounds) Still, I think the ball felt and performed well.  The covers have held up well even after some pretty rugged tree strikes.  The Trifli balls have performed really well off the tee, and today's round (the first with the new model ball), I sliced/faded less, I hit more fairways, had longer drives and had my best round ever there.  Irons and hybrids (when not duffed in one way or another) were very predictable in length and whatever greenside control I showed (whatever that is 😀) was just fine.  My putting, regardless of ball, still varies from good to bad each round.

IMG-2955.jpg.97cb2bceec95d38af5491b8145c81a1d.jpgIMG-2957.jpg.a44e3569a44b3a49ddacdd02f2512b60.jpg

WITB:
PXG Proto 0811X+ Driver
PXG Proto 0341X 5W

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for the information. Been thinking about using the Trifli. DSG has great deals. Not sure what I think about that dimple pattern, but glad pics were posted. I would have thought they were messed up! 🤣

Jason Catlin, Ole Duffer

I've been using them in my last couple of rounds.  I've seen no noticeable drop in distance with the driver.  More spin than most 2-piece Ionomer balls I've played (but not as much as lower-priced Urethane, e.g., TM Tour Response.  Feel is soft off driver (85-88 SS), and medium (by my standard) off other clubs.  So far they behave pretty good for me.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

On 5/12/2023 at 12:36 PM, Aim490 said:

I’m a frequent hacker - not particularly good, but play 2-3 times weekly spring-fall in MN.   On my muni home course, mid-80s to mid-90s is my norm on that lovely 5200yd par 68.  After 3 so-so rounds I was feeling pretty down about my game.  My fourth round of the year was with the Trifli.  It was easily my best round of the year and one of my best ever there.  I have been playing mostly Kirkland balls for the past few years because I’m cheap and Kirklands were supposed to be a great “cheap” ball.  I’ll occasionally play a found ball, but have given-up that bad practice.  Last year I went through a dozen Maxfli Tour yellow balls.  They were OK, but not the best performers for me - similar feel and results as the Kirklands. I had 2 more boxes of yellows that I returned, mostly because the yellow scuffed so badly from iron shots, they were practically unplayable after 2-3 holes each (assuming I didn’t lose one).  With my refund, I bought a couple boxes of Triflis near the end of last season and finally started hitting them yesterday.  I’m in the 85-95 mph driver swing speed - not really sure - 220-230 yd is a good drive for me.  Sometimes 250.  

The Trifli, I know, is a lower compression and is an ionomer cover, but seems to be a well-made 3-piece ball.  Yesterday the Trifli yielded 3 or 4 of my best drives ever (subjectively) and felt noticeably soft off the tee but not at all “squishy”.  And the ball really flew on a piercing trajectory.  Nice.  Iron shots were finally flying as far as I expected (unlike the Kirklands which were predictably unpredictable), had a nice trajectory, stopped nicely on the green (which I was hitting more frequently).  Well-struck irons had a nice crisp feel and didn’t scuff much.  They felt good putting and I like the alignment stripes (but one player asked if I was playing a range ball because of the stripes😄). 

My next couple rounds will be with the Trifli, for sure, and I’ll be able to be a bit more objective, but I’m really impressed after one round.

And you can play a range ball, if you want to, as far as I know...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

On 9/15/2022 at 9:27 AM, LickyNatch said:

Has anyone tried the TriFli balls?

Have not but have tried the MaxFli StraightFli.

Usually play the MaxFli Tour CG but over the winter when I bought a "cube" saw the StraightFli at a real value price so what the heck.

Honestly at my level there were not large, really noticeable differences between the two and I'm happy playing either one. 

Yes $5 is $5 .. times the # of boxes you might use in a season .. but imo not a enough of a value vs the full Tour CG model (which has earned lots of praise from MGS and forum members).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Have not but have tried the MaxFli StraightFli.

Usually play the MaxFli Tour CG but over the winter when I bought a "cube" saw the StraightFli at a real value price so what the heck.

Honestly at my level there were not large, really noticeable differences between the two and I'm happy playing either one. 

Yes $5 is $5 .. times the # of boxes you might use in a season .. but imo not a enough of a value vs the full Tour CG model (which has earned lots of praise from MGS and forum members).

The MaxFli StraightFli is a great value ball.  I wish the new yellow color would come in gloss instead of matte and if so I would have picked up a couple dozen for my mountain golf trip in July.    

Cleveland

I picked up a couple of dozen of the TriFli in green and played them the last few rounds. I really like feel and the performance. I was playing Kirklands, but I'm going to play the TriFlis for a while, maybe a long while.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R