Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Head covers - protection or fashion?

Guest Todd Early

• Guests
Guest Todd Early

I bought a TSi earlier this spring, but have been using my old 910d head cover since the new one leaves a gap that exposes the shaft to dings from the irons.  I carry, use a push cart and ride in carts.  I alternate between 2 bags.  I always thought headcovers were for protection of the head and shafts.  Am I a dinosaur?  (I believe in protecting my investment)

On 9/15/2022 at 1:22 PM, Guest Todd Early said:

I bought a TSi earlier this spring, but have been using my old 910d head cover since the new one leaves a gap that exposes the shaft to dings from the irons.  I carry, use a push cart and ride in carts.  I alternate between 2 bags.  I always thought headcovers were for protection of the head and shafts.  Am I a dinosaur?  (I believe in protecting my investment)

Hi Todd and welcome to MGS forum.  Form me, headcovers serve both purposes.  Absolutely nothing wrong with protecting clubs from bag/cart chatter. Having switched from PING's indestructotanium alloy irons to forged irons, I now use iron head covers too.  In recent years, club head covers have bloomed as it pertains to fashion - with a seemingly endless array of colors and designs.  The old, boring covers of yesteryears are living out their last days in garages, basements, attics, and thrift stores. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Head covers certainly serve a purpose, and I wouldn't go without them. But I know guys who never use any head covers, and their clubs look like they're 20 years old after a couple years. I leave a head cover on my 3w, 3h and every other iron (covering every iron is unnecessary IME). I only have my driver covered off the course, on the course it sticks up so far above the others that nothing touches the head, and the shaft is protected by the head covers on all the adjacent clubs. Seems like best of both worlds, protection and convenience?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Clubs depreciate the minute you buy them. Unless you have high end clubs like miuras or similar you will lose about 1/2 the value upon purchase. I’ll use Ping i525 irons as an example. They are roughly $1400 for a full set. Current trade in/resale value is $600-700.

As for head covers of woods they are there to protect the club but also can be for decoration.

For irons they are designed to hit a hard round object and hit the ground. They are going get beat up to some extent.

I don’t care if someone wants to use headcover to keep nicks and dings off the irons but for me irons are the workhorse and I don’t care if they show they’ve been used 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For me, the headcover's sole purpose is to protect my clubs.  I'm that guy that you would want to buy a used club from, because my clubs will not have bag wear.

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

IMO headcovers are 80% about protection and 20% about looks and it really only matters for the woods and hybrids where carbon materials and painted finishes are used. I wholeheartedly agree with @RickyBobby_PR about the irons. They're going to get beat up no matter what you do and while you can keep them looking better for longer with covers, at some point it won't really matter.

On a side note, there's a lot of hate for iron headcovers in general but I simply wouldn't want to add 8 more things to potentially lose on the golf course lol.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Maybe it's slight OCD for me as well, but I HAVE to have a matching head cover for my woods, unless it is an aftermarket head cover (see my most recent unofficial review of Craftsman head covers in my signature). For example, I picked up a Sim2 Max 3 wood off of GlobalGolf this year. It did not come with a headcover, so instead of using my M4 head cover from my previous 3 wood, I bought a Sim2 Max head cover off of eBay. Head covers first and foremost serve the purpose of protecting your equipment. But there's nothing wrong with wanting them to look nice as well 😉. When I got my TSi3, the gentleman I bought it from included a Titleist Stars & Stripes headcover with it. IMO it looks better than the stock one.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

On 9/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Hi Todd and welcome to MGS forum.  Form me, headcovers serve both purposes.  Absolutely nothing wrong with protecting clubs from bag/cart chatter. Having switched from PING's indestructotanium alloy irons to forged irons, I now use iron head covers too.  In recent years, club head covers have bloomed as it pertains to fashion - with a seemingly endless array of colors and designs.  The old, boring covers of yesteryears are living out their last days in garages, basements, attics, and thrift stores. 

I know some guys love club chatter. Every time I hear it, I think there's another mark on my clubs. I'm all for covers - both long clubs and irons provided that those using them don't take undo time covering and recovering them. I don't know if Cobra uses " indestructotanium alloy " but my Speedzones sure do look good. OEM headcovers for my long clubs and craftsman covers for my itrons. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I view the wood headcovers as 100% protection. I don't really care if I make a fashion statement with my protection. If someone gifted a custom headcover, I would use it, but I don't see myself spending money on them.

For irons, I like the dings (not gouges) that come from use. It adds to the "patina" to me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• 1 month later...

I use aftermarket head covers for my driver, wood and utility club.  My home course sells them (Dormie) at a good price.

Many OEM covers are too short which can lead to the irons contacting the graphite shafts.  

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

On 9/22/2022 at 10:09 AM, MaxEntropy said:

I view the wood headcovers as 100% protection. I don't really care if I make a fashion statement with my protection. If someone gifted a custom headcover, I would use it, but I don't see myself spending money on them.

For irons, I like the dings (not gouges) that come from use. It adds to the "patina" to me.

I basically feel the same way. I do not care on the fashion side either. The only reason I use head covers is because I can not stand hearing metal woods clanking. Now forged irons that sound is not offensive to me. Back in the persimmon days I did not use covers. I also flat refuse to game a putter I have to use a cover on. As far as covers I have mismatches mostly different courses and eras. 3 wood cover is a 80s Ping Barrel cover from Charlotte CC my home town. My 7 wood cover is a AM&E from a course down here I bought for $1 at Goodwill. The 9 wood cover I also bought at GW and it is a red white and blue Rocket Tour pom pom. The driver for now is branded ---- I recently did a trade for a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- It came with a stock cover that is cool looking and goes on and off easy

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 5 months later...

I use iron covers when I transport my golf clubs.  Do not want more dings on the irons when they are bouncing around in the back of the truck.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

One thing I didn’t see in here, that I curious if others consider, is using a generic drab looking cover to disguise the value from thieves.

Granted my driver is old now, so it’s not a big deal, but if I owned a 2023 driver, it would for sure have my old ratty one on it. For what it’s worth my hybrid lives without a cover and looks mangled with its chipped paint, scratches and lead tape…but I like it that way. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 2:22 PM, Guest Todd Early said:

I even use iron covers *ducks*.   I cant afford a new set and intend to keep these for many many years.  As they are out of production, I cant easily replace one.  

But But Skraeling sir... you slow up play!  

Lol no.  I know what club ill need from yardage.  Grab club and as im walking to the ball pull it off and tuck the cover into my pocket.  Take shot.  While walking back put it on.  It adds 0 time.  

Edited by skraeling

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

I feel there are both for protection and fashion. I would not let my woods bang together in my bag. I might be a freak when it's come to that. And I love the statement my headcovers makes (see pics). There are all made by Dormie (Nova-scotia based). More than fashion, it's a trademark for me. For example, I use the Ninja headcover for my 3W and my playing partners often go: " Ah! the ninja is out" (because they know something magical is about to happen! 😉 )

And on the plus side, by storing the original headcovers of my clubs, on the resale market, the value is up with a mint headcover. I have a scotty (circa 2005) and you would'nt believe the look of the headcover.

PXL_20230426_154336360.jpg

PXL_20230426_154409577.jpg

PXL_20230426_154425687.jpg

PXL_20230426_154440326.jpg

PXL_20230426_154510383.jpg

Playing one length clubs in Canada 

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed, 9°  (soon to be replace by :titleist-small: TSR2 thanks to 2023 MyGolfSpy PGA Championship Pool Sponsored by Titleist TSR Woods)
3 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Hybrid - , :cobra-small:19° Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S
Irons - :cobra-small:Speedzone One length 5-GW, 
Wedges - :cobra-small:King One 56° & 60°, 
Putter -   :mizuno-small:Mcraft II
Ball -   :vice:pro

Bag  :motocaddy:Pro series

• 1 month later...

I use head covers for protection. I use single-length irons and replacing one is an expensive proposition so I opted for covers. 

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade R15, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Heat II Single Length Irons 4-AW, SW, LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico