2022 Official Arccos Bundle Member Test

Sometimes the old ways are the best ways. We are going to go through and continue this test/review under the old method as we intend to create a little competition here. I will leave a link to this thread in the old one, however in the mean time please welcome our testers once again as they look to put the Arccos bundle through its paces and see how it can help/improve their game along the way. 

Stay tuned for more about our side challenges/games to create a bit more fun and involvement in this test and maybe have some of you readers join in on the fun as well!

Testers
@Getoffmylawn 

@MyWifesSwingCoach

@Ben_Howell34

@DiscipleofPenick

• Like 8

⛳🛄 as of Sept 7, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

Hello!  My name is Hayes Weidman, although many of you have come to know me as…

image.png.7bac8b28792086b339c7cda29b32f28c.png

I’m no longer a newb but not quite an MGS veteran compared to some of the other esteemed spies here, but I can’t begin to tell you how honored and excited I am to once again be chosen as a tester, this time of the Arccos bundle.   (My last review was of the Honma TR20 driver, which you can find hyperlinked below in my signature block.)

A little bit about me…I’m a 44-year old Colonel on active duty in the Air Force.  I’m currently assigned as a student at the US Army War College at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania; I’ve only been here for about 3 months after having spent the last 6 years at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha.  I should leave here in 9 months with a Masters in Strategic Studies, and then I go who knows where.

So, I’m a career military officer, and a graduate student of sorts, with a wife and three little kids ages 9, 7, and 5 who are active and energetic as you’d expect, and into just about every sport and activity out there.

IMG_3183.jpg.2d126961a9fca4235606b7fbbbe5f583.jpgIMG_3038.jpg.323b959e23dbc122bd90dbad72cff4d9.jpg

So I get my golf in when I can, how I can.  Over the last few weeks I’ve found a way to get in 9 twice a week, and maybe 18 on the weekend, and I’m of course thrilled to have this test as an excuse to go play some more!

I’ve been golfing for about 9 years now, and I’m currently playing at a 6.5 handicap, and right now my game is pretty inconsistent…I’m as equally likely to shoot an 85 as I am a 75 these days.  Put simply, moving and being busy have been hell on my game, and part of the reason I’m excited for Arccos is the potential to gain insights into how to maximize my practice time.

When I’m playing well, I’m typically above average on or around the greens, and I’ve lately been driving it decent as well.  I suspect when the “results” are in Arccos is going to tell me it’s my approach game that needs the most work.  When I’m going really poorly, the s-word creeps its ugly head into my rounds every now and then.  Even when I’m playing well, I tend to have to get up and down a lot to save par due to poor approach play and low greens-in-regulation numbers.  We’ll see how that pans out.

On a somewhat related note, I have spent, and continue to spend, a ton of time in the gym and using The Stack to try to pick up speed, which is an adventure you can read about here:

So, to summarize, I’m an avid golfer with a very busy schedule…I need to maximize my practice time, and I need insight into where exactly that time is best spent.  I’m hopeful Arccos delivers that, but in a user-friendly low-maintenance manner.  Frankly, Arccos was a non-starter for me for years because I don’t want anything in my pocket when I’m playing, so I’m excited to give Link a try and see just how low-maintenance and unobtrusive this product can really be.

PLEASE...ask me questions, and stay tuned, because some MGS competitions concerning this test with some prime real estate for smack talk are on the way!

To avoid getting too lengthy, I’ll embellish my own experience (or lack thereof) with strokes gained data in subsequent posts…definitely more to post on that.  For now, I will continue to refresh my UPS tracking number…the package is on it’s way!

• Like 5

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

My name is Matt Wardell and I am 30 years old. I live in Southgate, MI with my Wife and two daughters. I want to start off by thanking MyGolfSpy and Arccos for this amazing opportunity.

I am a CAD Designer and now work with wiring harnesses for gas and electric vehicles. I have been working from home since the pandemic began, and while I want to take more advantage of that to go golf, nothing could be better than being at home with my Wife and girls.

image.png.eaeef687c30b6510854bd818c4828361.png              image.png.e58c92175e96becdd7ea209f963c86f4.png

The lockdowns are what brought me back to the game I love after a near decade hiatus, it began with youtube videos and MyGolfSpy whilst I was on medical leave helping my Wife through some severe post-partum issues. This led me to buy some used clubs, swinging and putting in the living room. But lets back up a little bit.

My journey in Golf started with a misunderstanding, while I was getting ready for high school (~early 2000s) my father was talking to me about sports to play. While I have played many sports throughout my life such as hockey, soccer, basketball, and baseball, Golf wasn’t really on my radar. But I misunderstood my Dad and I thought that playing a sport was a requirement to graduate, my old man had been playing golf for a little bit so high school golf it was. 

I played on the varsity team, worked at a virtual golf facility and fell in love with the game, the camaraderie, the fact that it is a difficult game but also fun, always wanting to improve whether it be strategy or form. I think Arnold Palmer said it best… "Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."

These days I can play a couple times a month and thankfully my area has some nice courses as well as some really nice courses if you don’t mind a short drive. I am also working to help my Wife and kids get into the game as they saw my enthusiasm for golf, and we thought it would be a nice family activity. Unfortunately, that has been a slow path lately and I hope that come spring we can really get moving on that, I will still be reviewing the Arccos system during that time as well so that will help.

Testing

For this test, I will be increasing the amount that I typically golf. This is due to Michigans season eventually coming to an end, and to provide as much data as I can for what I will call the first half of the review. As we are being generously provided a year membership to Arccos, I will be attempting to collect data until I am no longer able to play due to weather, I will then look into what areas need improvement per Arccos recommendation. During the off season, I will use Arccos data to work on areas that need improvement and see how much it has helped me in the beginning of next season.

I am also playing with the idea of putting the Arccos system head-to-head against my ShotScope V2 watch, how I would do this is not completely ironed out so I will update when I am able.

According to the Arccos website, new users can expect a 5 stroke improvement. So after getting my initial handicap via their strokes gained analysis, I will be seeing if that kind of improvement is achievable between now and when my prepaid membership expires. It is at that point I will make my decision whether the system will stay with me or not. 

I am very excited to test this product as I have been wondering about stats and what I should keep and not keep while also paradoxically wanting to keep everything as simple as possible while still improving. My hope is that this Arccos system will do just that for me. 

My biggest hope above all else, is for all those reading to take something valuable from my review be it a new interest, perspective, maybe even a laugh. I will end this introduction with one of my favorite prayers...

“Lord, please use my crap as fertilizer for their growth. Amen” 

I hope you all enjoy the review and please do not hesitate to ask questions.

• Like 4

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Introduction

My name is Ben Howell and I am 31 years old, living in Hoover, AL with my wife and two daughters. First, I would like to thank MGS for the opportunity to perform this test, and Arccos for providing the system!

I love sports, outdoors, and am an extrovert, so golf suits me well.  I also love to travel, eat out, and experience new things. I work as a major account sales rep for Xerox, so I get to use golf with my work (or in lieu of it 🙂) sometimes, which is great. 

366704782_FamilyPhoto2022.jpg.2088ff089662af4685bc312d5c93a9c8.jpg

Golf

I started playing golf later in life. Growing up in a small town we did not have a golf course, and put most of my energy into baseball and football. I thought golf would be too slow and boring (wow was I wrong). Ended up playing college football at the University of Alabama which didn’t leave much time for anything else, but I did pick up golf sparingly. 

After college, I started playing golf more, but wasn’t until about 5 years ago that I really started getting more serious about it. I play an average of 2-3 times a month. I am not a member of any club, and the Birmingham area has a lot of great public courses. 

I started to keep an official handicap last year, as well as took a few lessons, which have helped a lot. I have also been fortunate to be able to get some new equipment via a sales program with my work, which is a huge help. My handicap has dropped from a 10.5 to an 8.8 in the past year or so, but more importantly I am having more fun than ever playing golf!

One reason I am excited about this test is the strokes gained (SG) aspect. I always "feel" like I know where I am losing strokes, but this should give a better perspective on that. Typically, it seems I lose more shots on approaches than anything else. Generally speaking, my strengths are putting and length off the tee, although accuracy can be wanting. 1332594726_BigCedarLodge.jpg.af87cf2e65eafbfcf31d3dc5b73fdf8b.jpg

Goals for this test

According to the Arccos website, "The average Arccos Caddie member improves their handicap 5.78 strokes in the first year!" I would love to see how that holds up in my own game, in the short and long term. 

I would also like to see how the strokes gained feature helps gear me towards certain practice habits. Does it help me in terms of practicing correctly, or could it mess with my mental game on the course? 

How well does the actual product work? Is it a smooth look and feel that works almost seamlessly, or can it be glitchy? Is it something fun to use, or just another something that I have to look at my phone for instead of enjoying the golf course? 

How accurate are the statistics? Can it compare to other players? Could it replace my current golf app (i.e. 18 birdies, 19th hole, etc.)? 

I do have one friend who already has this application @Mtbryant01 and he seems to like it. I have not really used it with him, so my "slate is clean" as they say, which is the way I like it with tests such as these. 

If there is anything you would like to see tested or are curious about this product, please let me know. I am very excited to test this out!

1321833315_HoleinOne.jpg.5e760db9266e01e6036c03655c00cbd5.jpg

• Like 6

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Hey spies, it's ya boy back at it again with the Arccos test! 

My name is Tom & I play out of Cleveland, Ohio. I have been golfing since I was in middle school as my dad and uncles got me involved in the game. I currently have a 4.9 handicap, but I got it down to 2.7 a month or so before my daughter was born in 2019. It's the three of us in the house, with our two dogs - Reggie the Hound mix & Otis, our new Bernease Mountain Dog. Reggie is 6 & Otis is 1, and our daughter is almost 3, on October 5th.

For golf, I am a semi-competitive golfer. I played in 3 tournaments this year, but didn't do better than middle-of-the-pack finishes in any of them. I take the game serious and mostly play on public courses, taking advantage of the great munis Cleveland offers. I used to be a very long hitter, but it seems like that playing field has leveled out in the last few years (everyone hits it far). Now I feel like irons & chipping are the best parts of my game. And I think my putting stinks, and my stat tracking this year shows it going the wrong direction, but I am hitting more GIR. 

But that is something I am hoping to learn with this product in the bag. I want to know if my perceptions actually match my performance - above is what I think I'm doing, but now I can see what I am actually doing. I also have a pretty good feel for my carry distances with every club, so I would like to see if that is accurate as well. As they say, we are more consistent than we think. It's just whether or know we know what our consistencies actually are and how we can adapt them for our games. 

As far as the claim about taking 5+ strokes off a golfer's handicap, I find that a little dubious. Though I would love it if it did, because that would turn me into a plus handicap 😎. It's one thing to to turn a 22 into a 17, but it's a completly different world to turn a 4 into a +1. Not without dilligent practice, but hey please prove me wrong Arccos. I've known about Arccos for a few years now and have gone back and forth on wanting it. I'm already a data oriented, analytical minded person, so my fear was that I would wind up on some deep dive and too into the weeds on the data. But now that I've seen it, and I've imrpoved my mental game, I don't think that will happen. It will be a nice test for myself to not become obsessive.

I am already somewhat familiar with this product as I play with @MaxEntropy quite a bit and he has it. It's actually a great help on par 3s and anytime there's lots of wind or elevation. I recall one of the first rounds, I shot a par 3 flag at like 212, he pulled out Arccos and showed it was 175 and instead of a 4i, I hit a 7i to the front of the green. So that had me intrigued. I also play with @MattF and his hat occasionally, so it would be nice to compare it to ShotScope as well. 

My biggest concern right now is that scoring season ends in Cleveland at the end of October. That doesn't give me a lot of time to test this, so when it shows up on Monday, I want to get it set up and get on the course asap. I really want to get those 5 rounds in asap so I can start getting feedback before the end of the year. I mean most years anymore I can play till at least Thanksgiving, if not early December, so I think I will have plenty of time to give this a thorough review. I also want to note, my plan is to play one ball the enitre time I am using this. I want the data to be as consistent as possible, so I want to control what I can. My gamer is the Srixon Z-Star, so that will be what all my shot data is off of. I know it's not everyone's favorite, but I haven't found a ball that works as well for my game.

Hope you all enjoy reading the reviews, watching the competition, and I can't wait to get my hands on this!!!

Edited by DiscipleofPenick
  • Like 5

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Ah competition. Music to my ears! image.gif.7b6baa3d93bc7fa27eae2070e04ebccd.gif

• Love 2
  • Haha 5

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Yes!  Can't wait for a little not-so-friendly competition here! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus TR Red 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

33 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Competitions now I regret being hurt, but I hope this is a good one

Doesn't meant you won't be able to join us somehow during the test!

• Love 5

⛳🛄 as of Sept 7, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Doesn't meant you won't be able to join us somehow during the test!

I’ll definitely be happy to get my back to the point I can golf again this year while swinging freely and not in pain. If not I’ll call it quits a month or so early

• Like 4

On 9/18/2022 at 6:42 AM, Lacassem said:

Ah competition. Music to my ears! image.gif.7b6baa3d93bc7fa27eae2070e04ebccd.gif

Well, not really much of a competition in some cases, but you go ahead and get your hopes up sport.  🤣

• Haha 4

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

15 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Well, not really much of a competition in some cases, but you go ahead and get your hopes up sport.  🤣

I mean I’m already scoring so low it would be tough to improve! Rest of ya have a huge window for before and after handicaps! You’ll win hands down if that’s one of the “competitions”

• Haha 4

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

The bundle is supposed to arrive Monday evening; can't wait.  New driver, 3 wood, and re-shafted hybrids should be right behind too...going to be a fun week!

• Like 3

I also got my notification that these will arrive on Monday, and I got an email from a contact at Arccos confirming they have shipped and wishing me luck.

• Like 6

Take Dead Aim

2 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I also got my notification that these will arrive on Monday, and I got an email from a contact at Arccos confirming they have shipped and wishing me luck.

Got that same email.  Nice little bit of customer service to start this test…

• Like 5

Intro posted, got my delivery date for monday and also an email from Arccos. 

image.png.c6ca3da9ab240fd0b250c0daf531c7de.png

• Like 4

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

On 9/18/2022 at 4:27 AM, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

My name is Matt Wardell and I am 30 years old. I live in Southgate, MI with my Wife and two daughters.

I think we need to be on opposite sides for this competition. A little bit of Cleveland vs. Detroit challenge. And as a Buckeye, well it goes without saying... 😜

Also we should meetup. There's some great courses in Toledo I need an excuse to go play.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I think we need to be on opposite sides for this competition. A little bit of Cleveland vs. Detroit challenge. And as a Buckeye, well it goes without saying... 😜

Also we should meetup. There's some great courses in Toledo I need an excuse to go play.

Huckleberry Doc Holliday - quickmeme

• Like 2