TESTERS WANTED! ×

If This Was A Scotty Cameron Would You Be Buying?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

f2-putter-banner.jpg

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

Scotty Cameron Is One Of The Best...BUT

Don't get me wrong...Scotty Cameron is a super-talented putter designer...BUT...and this a big but...the man uses his fame to sell some f-ugly putters.

I mean come on...seriously...when did it become popular to own a putter with sloppy welding jobs? Or better yet...when was it cool to own a putter that looks like it was left in a room filled with 30 toddlers armed with a stash of flourescent crayons. It really baffles me what people will buy with this mans name on it.

scotty-welds.jpg

So...That Got Us Thinking

We were looking over some spy pics of a new prototype putter from F2 Golf over the weekend. Yeah...the same F2 Golf that made those wacky looking wedges that you all had nightmares about because of all the late night info-mercials they bombarded you with on the Golf Channel. Anyway...we were looking over this new prototype putter from F2 Golf for a sign of some actual useful technology that could really help golfers get the ball in the hole quicker...but we all said, "typical odd shaped mallet putter with some more useless 4-gram MOI weights...just another disappointing prototype putter" Right? Well maybe not....if you look at it like this.

f2 big luv putters

Take Another Look...But This Time From A Different Angle

Take a look at this putter again....but this time imagine it was designed by the famous Scotty Cameron. (Cue the Yoga music please) Imagine now that the name Scotty Cameron is so elegantly engraved in the sole and on the back cavity. Now visualize some of those beautiful crazy stampings that Scotty loves to insert pound all over his limited edition prototypes. Now remember folks, this is a "limited edition" these will only be available for a very short time. So act fast...before they are all gone and you're chance to own a classic is gone forever.

SEE! WE CAUGHT YOU! YOU WERE ALREADY REACHING IN YOUR WALLET FOR THAT CREDIT CARD!

Your Honest Opinion...Don't Worry We Won't Tell Scotty

So you tell us...do you think you would feel more compelled to purchase this putter if it had the Cameron name welded on? We really want to hear your honest opinion...chime in...hell start a fight. I think the Cameron Collector Cult (AKA: Cameron Crazies!) are very interesting. Scotty's putters have become to men what BeanieBabies were to women

P.S.

- For more pictures of the new prototype putter from F2 Golf...click here

- For more information on the new putter...click here

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Big luv is funny because of the TV show. I have friend who loves the show so I would show this to him, but as a lefty, he probably would be out of luck.

Buy it, no. With Scotty branding, no. While I love the Futura and the first Futura Phantom, the Phantom Mallet is fugly, to me. Same with detours.

I would love to have the garage putter though. Mainly for the investment though. It would promptly be flipped. I think that Scotty is sometimes goofing around when he makes these. I hope he is sometimes thinking, "Let's see how much I can mess with this one..."

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'll go first: regardless of who made this, I would not buy it. I don't like mallets and I don't like center shafted putters. Furthermore, I'm not moved by the Cameron name anymore. When I was new to golf, I assumed that Cameron was the pinnacle of putters. Now, I realize that there are MANY great putter makers out there and you could make a case that any of them (Byron, Bettinardi, Sunset Beach, TP Mills, etc) are the best.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I struggle to understand the Cameron Crazies also. I purchased my Studio Style because I loved the GSS insert (and I still do). It has a crisp feel that many of the Cameron's lack. I do love his headcovers and I wish others would do more of that. But, otherwise, I just don't get paying the amount of money he demands for essentially mass produced product. And the resale values are unbelievable. $500 for any headcover? Get real!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I struggle to understand the Cameron Crazies also. I purchased my Studio Style because I loved the GSS insert (and I still do). It has a crisp feel that many of the Cameron's lack. I do love his headcovers and I wish others would do more of that. But, otherwise, I just don't get paying the amount of money he demands for essentially mass produced product. And the resale values are unbelievable. $500 for any headcover? Get real!

Don't forget that if the Big Luv had a circle T stamp and FTUO headcover, that would make it putt better for you.

Volvo Intorqueo

I'm not a Scotty hater BY ANY MEANS, I've owned a number of Scottys, lots of HCs, etc, but you hit the nail on the head: except for the very very high dollar items, it's all mass produced product. For the same price as a Scotty OTR, I can get a custom putter that is built to my specs and is hand crafted (be that stamping, grinding, etc) by a true craftsman (Byron, Lamont, etc). When it comes down to where I'm going to spend my money, it's just not a contest.

I'm not a Scotty hater BY ANY MEANS, I've owned a number of Scottys, lots of HCs, etc, but you hit the nail on the head: except for the very very high dollar items, it's all mass produced product. For the same price as a Scotty OTR, I can get a custom putter that is built to my specs and is hand crafted (be that stamping, grinding, etc) by a true craftsman (Byron, Lamont, etc). When it comes down to where I'm going to spend my money, it's just not a contest.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that. A hand crafted custom putter is a work of art in my book. It's an heirloom that I could pass down to my kids. I have no problem whatsoever paying $300-500 for such an item (if I have the means).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Don't forget that if the Big Luv had a circle T stamp and FTUO headcover, that would make it putt better for you.

If somebody could spirit away a Circle T stamp from Scotty's studio - that could be a bigger heist than breaking into Fort Knox.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

If somebody could spirit away a Circle T stamp from Scotty's studio - that could be a bigger heist than breaking into Fort Knox.

I won't go into the tangent that your post put into my head, but lots of stamping of everyday products was involved. Just a nibble: Circle T TP

Volvo Intorqueo

I won't go into the tangent that your post put into my head, but lots of stamping of everyday products was involved. Just a nibble: Circle T TP

Wasn't there a Scotty quote out there about him putting his name on underwear? Can't seem to find it right now, the search is coming up with stuff about Tiger's cell phone number changes. I believe the sentiment was, "I could put my name on underwear and sell it on ebay." Advanced apologies if I'm mistaken/took the quote out of context.

• SPY VIP

I don't fault Scotty for his merchandizing, that's where the big money is: Scotty Cameron-the T-shirt, Scotty Cameron-the Coloring Book, Scotty Cameron-the Lunch box, Scotty Cameron-the Breakfast Cereal, Scotty Cameron-the Flame Thrower. Merchandizing.

His name sells product. Good for him. His ugly putters don't move though. There are still Detours and Phantom Mallets in the local shop. They will likely be there for a long time...

Volvo Intorqueo

Not sure I would classify Cameron as a "super-talented putter designer" but I don't want to open that can of worms, although he is really good at taking other people's idea's and making them his own. I just think there are lots of other guys out there that have created a lot more "original" putters than Cameron.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

• SPY VIP

Not sure I would classify Cameron as a "super-talented putter designer" but I don't want to open that can of worms, although he is really good at taking other people's idea's amd making them his own. I just think there are lots of other guys out there that have created a lot more "original" putters than Cameron.

You bet. Cameron is a tweaker of the existing. Many of his models have roots in known designs. Pro's wouldn't bag them if they didn't work though. Granted the pro model is not the one I could find in a shop. Karsten he is not, but he is more than a person who puts his logo on junk to sell.

Volvo Intorqueo

I don't fault Scotty for his merchandizing, that's where the big money is: Scotty Cameron-the T-shirt, Scotty Cameron-the Coloring Book, Scotty Cameron-the Lunch box, Scotty Cameron-the Breakfast Cereal, Scotty Cameron-the Flame Thrower. Merchandizing.

His name sells product. Good for him. His ugly putters don't move though. There are still Detours and Phantom Mallets in the local shop. They will likely be there for a long time...

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame him AT ALL. If I could sell pictures of myself for a bunch of bucks, I would do it. Not everyone can buy 10 putters, but lots of people will buy 10 t shirts, hats, HCs, etc, and he's taken advantage of that. Good for him.

You're right about the "ugly" putters - even with all the devoted Cameron fans out there, there is still a line in the sand they won't cross.

• SPY VIP

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame him AT ALL. If I could sell pictures of myself for a bunch of bucks, I would do it. Not everyone can buy 10 putters, but lots of people will buy 10 t shirts, hats, HCs, etc, and he's taken advantage of that. Good for him.

You're right about the "ugly" putters - even with all the devoted Cameron fans out there, there is still a line in the sand they won't cross.

Ugly is so hard to pin down though. Especially if you are trying to come up with something new. Misses are obvious down the road, but in design they probably seem new and cool. I for some reason am drawn to the KOMBI, especially the new stainless model. Very ugly to some/many, but it catches my eye...

Volvo Intorqueo

I didn't buy the Futura, the Detour or the Kombi. So even if Don - Scotty's real name - were to personally hand deliver me the Big Luv for free, I'd still say no.

Don!?! Really? It's not Scott?

Everything I know is a lie! :(

I wouldn't buy that F2 putter, even if it had SC on it. First off, because I don't like the looks of it. Secondly, because I've already got a center shafted Bobby Grace Amazing Grace putter that is similar in design -- but looks better to my eye. Thirdly, being a F2, it's value just wouldn't hold. Fourthly, see "How many putters do you have?" thread.

Ugly is so hard to pin down though. Especially if you are trying to come up with something new. Misses are obvious down the road, but in design they probably seem new and cool. I for some reason am drawn to the KOMBI, especially the new stainless model. Very ugly to some/many, but it catches my eye...

That's fair, and I was trying to be concise but not judgmental, and failed by half. I had a Futura for about a minute and I thought it was pretty cool, liked the sound, I just don't like mallets that much. You're right about the difficulty of coming up with something new in putters. What are the big putter innovations lately? Movable weights...ok. But are there really any great new headshapes? Not really, unless my brain is blanking on something. The last new thing that became a staple would probably be the 2 ball, right? And that's really more of an alignment aid than a headshape, because they make that in mallets and "blades".

That's fair, and I was trying to be concise but not judgmental, and failed by half. I had a Futura for about a minute and I thought it was pretty cool, liked the sound, I just don't like mallets that much. You're right about the difficulty of coming up with something new in putters. What are the big putter innovations lately? Movable weights...ok. But are there really any great new headshapes? Not really, unless my brain is blanking on something. The last new thing that became a staple would probably be the 2 ball, right? And that's really more of an alignment aid than a headshape, because they make that in mallets and "blades".

I almost bought a Futura for $50 because I could have flipped it for $150, but decided there was really no point.

• SPY VIP

The Futura just missed because it was too light. Just check ebay for weight kits... Was used on tour even. The putter to the right of this post looks like an innovative shape to me. Someone called a potato masher. Seems unfair to me. I entered, I would be stoked to win one, or a Futura...

Volvo Intorqueo

The Futura just missed because it was too light. Just check ebay for weight kits... Was used on tour even. The putter to the right of this post looks like an innovative shape to me. Someone called a potato masher. Seems unfair to me. I entered, I would be stoked to win one, or a Futura...

Again, not a hater, so I don't get the "potato masher" bit. I think it's a good looking putter, I'd be happy to own one, I just wouldn't game it because I'm not a mallet guy. The one thing that it makes me think of, from the sole picture, is the 2 Ball SRT model by Odyssey.

• SPY VIP

Again, not a hater, so I don't get the "potato masher" bit. I think it's a good looking putter, I'd be happy to own one, I just wouldn't game it because I'm not a mallet guy. The one thing that it makes me think of, from the sole picture, is the 2 Ball SRT model by Odyssey.

Definite cousin of the SRT. But remember Kim on Big Break used one to win that show. Go NorCal!

Not sure how she has done on LPGA tour though.

Volvo Intorqueo

I can never understand all the hype about Scotty putters. I tried a lot of them, and I just don't get it; they feel like any good putter. My PING is nothing short in feeling or looks. I seriously don't get it!!!

I think its just about marketing and the high price tag. People tend to cherish what they cannot afford, hence the love for Scotties. Don't get me wrong, he does make great putters, but so does a lot of other high end manufacturers and designers.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

There is a huge difference in Byron 006 and an original Anser 2.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Don't get me wrong, he does make great putters, but so does a lot of other high end manufacturers and designers.

I think people forget this sometimes, myself included. They are great putters, and I think a lot of people go with Scottys because they are the most easily available fully milled putters.

I think people forget this sometimes, myself included. They are great putters, and I think a lot of people go with Scottys because they are the most easily available fully milled putters.

So much of it goes back to the marketing that he does. As I've said elsewhere, when I first started golfing I truly believed that every good player used a Scotty Cameron. I simply didn't know about the other makers that existed. All credit to him for being a master of PR and marketing, but, as Poor said, there are many many good putters out there.

Archived