If This Was A Scotty Cameron Would You Be Buying?

That's fair, and I was trying to be concise but not judgmental, and failed by half. I had a Futura for about a minute and I thought it was pretty cool, liked the sound, I just don't like mallets that much. You're right about the difficulty of coming up with something new in putters. What are the big putter innovations lately? Movable weights...ok. But are there really any great new headshapes? Not really, unless my brain is blanking on something. The last new thing that became a staple would probably be the 2 ball, right? And that's really more of an alignment aid than a headshape, because they make that in mallets and "blades".

I almost bought a Futura for $50 because I could have flipped it for $150, but decided there was really no point.

• SPY VIP

That's fair, and I was trying to be concise but not judgmental, and failed by half. I had a Futura for about a minute and I thought it was pretty cool, liked the sound, I just don't like mallets that much. You're right about the difficulty of coming up with something new in putters. What are the big putter innovations lately? Movable weights...ok. But are there really any great new headshapes? Not really, unless my brain is blanking on something. The last new thing that became a staple would probably be the 2 ball, right? And that's really more of an alignment aid than a headshape, because they make that in mallets and "blades".

The Futura just missed because it was too light. Just check ebay for weight kits... Was used on tour even. The putter to the right of this post looks like an innovative shape to me. Someone called a potato masher. Seems unfair to me. I entered, I would be stoked to win one, or a Futura...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The Futura just missed because it was too light. Just check ebay for weight kits... Was used on tour even. The putter to the right of this post looks like an innovative shape to me. Someone called a potato masher. Seems unfair to me. I entered, I would be stoked to win one, or a Futura...

Again, not a hater, so I don't get the "potato masher" bit. I think it's a good looking putter, I'd be happy to own one, I just wouldn't game it because I'm not a mallet guy. The one thing that it makes me think of, from the sole picture, is the 2 Ball SRT model by Odyssey.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Again, not a hater, so I don't get the "potato masher" bit. I think it's a good looking putter, I'd be happy to own one, I just wouldn't game it because I'm not a mallet guy. The one thing that it makes me think of, from the sole picture, is the 2 Ball SRT model by Odyssey.

Definite cousin of the SRT. But remember Kim on Big Break used one to win that show. Go NorCal!

Not sure how she has done on LPGA tour though.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I can never understand all the hype about Scotty putters. I tried a lot of them, and I just don't get it; they feel like any good putter. My PING is nothing short in feeling or looks. I seriously don't get it!!!

I think its just about marketing and the high price tag. People tend to cherish what they cannot afford, hence the love for Scotties. Don't get me wrong, he does make great putters, but so does a lot of other high end manufacturers and designers.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

There is a huge difference in Byron 006 and an original Anser 2.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Don't get me wrong, he does make great putters, but so does a lot of other high end manufacturers and designers.

I think people forget this sometimes, myself included. They are great putters, and I think a lot of people go with Scottys because they are the most easily available fully milled putters.

I think people forget this sometimes, myself included. They are great putters, and I think a lot of people go with Scottys because they are the most easily available fully milled putters.

So much of it goes back to the marketing that he does. As I've said elsewhere, when I first started golfing I truly believed that every good player used a Scotty Cameron. I simply didn't know about the other makers that existed. All credit to him for being a master of PR and marketing, but, as Poor said, there are many many good putters out there.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus