TESTERS WANTED! ×

Leave your ego and your long irons at home.

hi all

have just read through the thread, and from the perspective of a high handicapper (29 at the moment) a hybrid is DEFINITELY a much better option than a long iron.

i play mizuno mp-53s, so i can hit the ball pretty decent. i have had days at the range where i'm striping the 4 and 5 iron, but i had to make some good swings to do so.

i recently got a 2nd hand adams a3 boxer 19* hybrid off ebay for cheap, and have hit some pretty good shots with it.

i also decided to get a #4 hybrid, and ordered the adams a12os #4 in 22*. i only got it yesterday, so haven't played with it yet.

but i did play a round with a guy who was playing the set last friday, and i hit about 5 or shots with his #5 a12os hybrid.

it is ridiculous how easy it is to hit, and how straight it goes. i must also add this was a no-pressure round, and my mind was quite clear on the day (no unnecesssary swing thoughts), which helped plenty in making sure my swings were good.

i also tried to not waste too much time over the ball. mostly because my playing partner on the day was playing golf for the first time ever, so i was giving him some advice.

some of the advice i gave him (including not thinking over the ball) rubbed off on my game, and i played 104 shots, as opposed to my last round of 113 shots. i know, 104 is still pretty crap, but for me to improve by 9 shots over my last round, was quite gratifying.

and a lot of this had to do with some of the shots i pulled of with both my #3 hybrid, and my playing partner's #5 hybrid.

on the back 9, the two par threes were 200yds (quite a big downhill, prob playing around 180ish), and another of 175yds (slightly downhill).

on both holes there were some cross winds, but i managed to put the 5H on the green on the first hole, and just to the left on the second par 3.

i also hit some good approach shots with the 5H out of the rough, and the fairway, and can definitely say that it saved me a couple of strokes.

looking forward to hitting my new a12os 4H this weekend.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like i mentioned in my post above, i have a 19* 3H and a 22* 4H.

i also recently ordered a 4W, that is at 17*.

i got the 4W as my pro advised it would be easier than a 3W to get up in the air.

but i am now wondering the 19* 3H and 17* 4W aren't too close to each other.

i haven't had a chance to hit the 4W just yet, so maybe it is not such a big deal. i am also a high handicapper, so with the 3H working quite well, and me having confidence in it, the 4W won't see much action anyway.

if you don't mind me going OT, what would a 4W add to my bag? (i'm sure it will give me a few yards on the 3H, but at a 29 HCP i'm not going for the green from 220yds out anyway...)

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

If you just take into account the longer shaft and the change in degree you are probably looking at least an inch longer and 2 degrees. I would think you could easily get 15-20 more yards out of the 4W. Plus it will be easier to get off the deck. I think this is an excellent set up for you.

When I started this thread months ago it was based on my swing and equipment at the time. I was playing Titleist blades and hit the 3 and 4 irons well but the still did not have a lot of mass in the head compared to a hybrid. Now

I am using Mizuno MP FLI HI and while still half the moi of a true Hybrid they are double that of a stock 3 or 4 or 2'iron. However height and spin are not an issue for me. Well they are but not lack of, abundance of is my problem.

My 14 hybrid will be 42" oal which is 3w dimensions pretty serious hybrid. I will also be putting together 19 and 21 and 24 hybrids and when my game is not spot on I can easily change a club or two for the day.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

I grew up with Ping Eye 2's and from a mental aspect no matter what the brand I could never get comfortable with a long iron in hand. I've probably sprayed more mishits as a result of lack of confidence than based on skill. I now play Nickent 4DX pro 3/20° and 4/23° with Aerotech SteelFiber HLS75 shafts and they are by far the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I know I'm going to get them in the air, no lie scares me and the trajectory is always low-mid and controlled. I can step on them too and easily cover an extra 10-15 yards but swinging controlled the distance is always very reliable. I'm sure I could hit a 3 iron the same as a hybrid but at the cost of that mental hurdle ever time I pulled it out of the bag.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

The Nickent 4DX pro was a really good club, and Nickent like Hogan was really ahead of their time. They pioneered the adjustable hosel and removable shaft etc... But then they put that cheap looking "blingy" green on them and ruined it.

• SPY VIP

The Nickent 4DX pro was a really good club, and Nickent like Hogan was really ahead of their time. They pioneered the adjustable hosel and removable shaft etc... But then they put that cheap looking "blingy" green on them and ruined it.

Hey I like my "blingy" green!

But then again I also love my yellow putter

yellowputtersm.jpg

and the pink lowrider I had in the 90's

trucksm.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Well, there is no accounting for taste.:D

Actually, "blingy" was the wrong adjective. A little bling is good. I love the yellow putter head. I am getting to like colored ferrules, since I have them now. And I am about to add a little bling with a custom paint fill on my New To Me Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 and will replace the grip. Right now I am leaning towards a shade I call, "Holy, _____ing ____ yellow." but I see from your picture that your putter is already that color. Or perhaps, some "Kiss my ___ red." But I am just going with paint fill, not set the putter in the can.

But back to what started this the Nickent 4 DX line had costume jewelry type look to it to me. Obviously, you like them so I should shut up but I will say, I am not the person who bought your pink low rider. Even if were a different color, and not a low rider, I am not in the market for that. However, if it started when you turned the key and the alarm did not go off and immoblize the engine it is better than a Range Rover. Twice a week the _____ thing decides I am trying to steel it as sits and waits for the cops to come. I have to get out and reset the alarm. It takes all of 30 seconds, and never fails to so it when someone is riding with me.

Finally replaced the Bridgestone J33 2 iron with a Callaway 17* Heavenwood. Depending on the course I will still use the 2 iron as I can hit it low with a lot of roll.

Driver:Bridgestone J33R 460

Fairway:Bridgestone J33 3 Wood

Irons: Bridgestone J33 Forged Combo 2-PW

Wedges Titlest Vokey Spin Mill 56 60

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport

I have a 19* hybrid and a 3 iron in the bag, but i use the 3 iron as a utility club (hitting under trees and low punch shots) and an occasional par 3. I am more comfortable hitting a hybrid off the turf and the tee and i can hit it as short as 190 and as long as 210 depending on the shot shape.

I play hybrids (TM Rescue 11, Titleist 910h, and Adams V3) in basically two different loft configurations ...

15, 19, 23.25, 27.75, 33

... or ...

15, 19, 24, 29, 33

I definitely don't miss the fairway wood, long irons, and even some of the mid irons! :lol:

• SPY VIP

Dude, I like the putter, that's slick, however I frickin LOVE that SUV!...That would take Breast Cancer awareness to a whole nother level...lol....Did you do that paint job yourself?....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Ya I built that truck (1985 Jimmy) from ground up in '92. Saw that color in a magazine and thought it would seriously turn heads at shows. Sure did and combined with the coffin pleated purple velvet interior I racked in a solid haul of trophies. It really brought the ladies a flocking too. ;)

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

If you just take into account the longer shaft and the change in degree you are probably looking at least an inch longer and 2 degrees. I would think you could easily get 15-20 more yards out of the 4W. Plus it will be easier to get off the deck. I think this is an excellent set up for you.

Sparnar, RR said it best...As you stated that you normally don't go for the green from 220yds, well, that 4M may allow you to do that when you're swinging well....

That best to ya.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever......

thanks for the comments, RR and RP.

work is a little hectic right now, but looking forward to get the 4W into play, together with the new 4H.

i suspect the 4H will be seeing more action at this stage, as i still need to get some confidence going with the 4W before i'll put it into play.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

while we're talking about this, it feels like there aren't too many hig handicappers (20+), like myself on the forum. but i'll mention the following anyway...

if there are other spies, like myself, who are looking at hitting their first hybrid, or maybe looking for an easy-to-hit hybrid, make sure you try out the Adams A12OS hybrids.

i have read of people using the phrase 'stupid easy to hit', and while it's not a phrase i thought i would ever use, these hybrids are just that. 'stupid easy' just feels like the right description.

i played with a first timer a week ago, and i arranged his club rental to be a set of these as i wanted to try the #4 hybrid (a little selfish i know, but it is a great set for a beginner). this guy had never hit a golf shot in his life, and by the 17th hole, i managed to 'coach' him into just about reaching a 440yd par 4 in three shots. all by playing the #6 hybrid.

admittely, the hole has quite a severe downhill, and my playing partner's first shot was a duff, which i gave him a mulligan on, but he managed to hit some pretty decent shots for a first timer. we started calling the 6H his 'magic-maker' by the fifth hole already.

this round also proved to me again how much c

confidence plays a part in the real hackers\beginners' game. this guy, being new to the game, had no clue about club selection, and asked my opinion every time.

he kept asking me what i was hitting, thinking he should be doing the same. but as soon as he got some confidence hitting the 6H, he was doing reasonably well. a couple of times i had him try to hit a different club, but the results didn't follow.

he basically played all day long with the 6H and the 8 iron. i had him play these little punch type shots as his chips with the 8 iron.

just a note, when i say he did reasonably well, he got the ball of the deck, but he still had plenty of balls running along the fairway, and going left. but he thoroughly enjoyed it, and is already talking about going to the range sometime soon.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I have a friend (10 Hcp) who plays the a12OS. He complains that the short irons are not as accurate as he would like but loves the hybrids. He also says he can talk on the cell phone, and even read a book and still hit good shots with them.

I have another friend who while he carries a full set of irons, he makes 90% of his shots are Driver, 8 iron, putter. He hits those clubs from any distance, and is a big joke with us. He is now trying to work in a hybrid to the rotation, but he shoots 82. Nearly every time he goes out he shoots 82.

That's funny on "stupid easy" Sparnar...I'd never heard of the phrase prior to MGS & not only have I used it here, however I've used it in a board meeting...It drew a few chuckles, yet my point was made...I get more out of MGS than just golf enjoyment...lol...

Regarding you friend, that's great that he had such a good time with you...You obviously are kind and have the patience to spend the time with a true beginer...I believe how someone takes to the game is dependent upon #1, their actual experience hitting the ball & #2, their experience with their playing partner(s) or whomever they are with at the time...

It's funny about him only really hitting two clubs because my first year, my grandmother only gave me & let me hit a 9i & my second year, I added a 5i & a 7i....I think it lends itself to being creative with your clubs because I was forced to hit a lot of different shots with a few clubs vs. on type of shot going X amount of yds. or possibly another distance....

Have a nice week-end.....

Fairwasy & Greens 4ever.....

i would have loved to be in that board meeting!

funny enough, when playing with the first timer, i spent so much time 'coaching' and helping him, that i didn't overthink my own game, and shot my best score in the last 2 months. i must admit, the hardest thing about playing with a first timer (or someone fairly new to the game), is to relay all the etiquette of golf.

they don't always understand why you sometimes need to take just a little less time on a shot, just to open up a bit of a gap between yourself and the group behind you. we were riding, and at first i was driving, but i thought he guy would love to drive the cart himself, and when he started driving, it was hard to explain to him where the best place would be to park around the greens.

how does one explain that you must look for a spot, where:

1. firstly, you won't damage any area where approach shots might land

2. you can quickly get to the cart once all playes are finished, so the fourball behind doesn't wait while you're clearing the green

3. the cart is not in the way of the fourball behind you

4. the cart is on the way to the next tee box

i usually had to point to a spot where he could park. and i could see he was a bit flummoxed about me being so specific about the parking spot.

also, a few times he nearly drove away to his ball, before i got a club out.

so it does take a bit of patience. but introducing a new player to this game we love, and seeing the enjoyment (and even some progress in their game over the 18 holes), is priceless.

another thing i have to mention, is that i didn't hesitate to have him play off the ladies\seniors tees when the club tees had water to clear on the tee shot. there was no way he would clear a large body of water with a tee shot.

on one hole, he did however have to clear a very little stream. he managed to do so, and actually jumped for joy. literally. with his jump, came a not-too-soft shout of 'yeah!'. the fourball behind us, was quite surprised with his unbridled joy.

anyway, i'm making a habit of going off topic, so i'll rather stop here.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

This weekend I replace my 2 iron head with a 19* hybrid, and put together a 14* hybrid with a 41" C Taper XS shaft. I was only 5 yards behind the other guys when they used driver and I used the 14 degree hybrid. It is going to be a money maker. However, I am not so happy with the 2 iron replacement. I will keep it that way this week and see, but on perfectly struck balls it was not as good as the 2 iron, and on poorly struck balls it was much worse than the 2 iron, but it was easier to hit. The jury is still out. But the number two spot in the bag, if driver is number one and putter is 14, is going to be the 14* hybrid or 0h.

This weekend I replace my 2 iron head with a 19* hybrid, and put together a 14* hybrid with a 41" C Taper XS shaft. I was only 5 yards behind the other guys when they used driver and I used the 14 degree hybrid. It is going to be a money maker. However, I am not so happy with the 2 iron replacement. I will keep it that way this week and see, but on perfectly struck balls it was not as good as the 2 iron, and on poorly struck balls it was much worse than the 2 iron, but it was easier to hit. The jury is still out. But the number two spot in the bag, if driver is number one and putter is 14, is going to be the 14* hybrid or 0h.

The jury is back. The 19* hybrid is gone and the 2 iron is back, probably to stay. This is a 2 iron but on a 3 iron C Taper XS shaft, the reason for this is simple. That is the shaft I had. It is only half an inch shorter so this is not significant. It turns out that the hybrid was not that much easier to hit, plus bad shots with the 2 iron tend to be short right fades, and the hybrid had some nasty 40 yard hooks in it. It is much easier to deal with a shot that turns out 20 yards short and 10 yards right than one that is the right distance but 40 yards left.

I still have the 14 hybrid but that is because I do not hit anything better than in that range.

I've been playing the original Cobra Baffler 18 & 20 degree hybrids with steel Nippon 950 shaft for years. Nothing even comes close to them for me.

Titleist 910 D3 9.5 w/Oban Devotion 75g

Titleist 910F 15 w/Oban Devotion 75g

Cobra Baffler 18 Hybrid

Cobra Baffler 20 Hybrid (originals) w/stiff steel shafts

Mizuno MP57 4 - PW +1/2 2UR Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Titleist Vokey 54 & 60

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback 35"

Excellent topic and great information from the replies.

For my 2 cents worth I have dropped my fairway and 2 iron from the bag for an Adams hybrid.

Never having used a hybrid before, I purchased the Adams on the strength of the review on MGS and my personal opinion is that I will not go back to either the wood or the 2.

After reading some of your comments RR on your tests, I will have to consider replacing the 3 & 4 with a hybrid as well.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Thanks AJ. I said that I have a 2 and 4 iron in the bag but these are not traditional irons but iron based hybrids. I am glad you find this beneficial.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread. But I wasn't following it when it started and it's made an interesting read. When I started playing, I tried a number of clubs. SGI and a nice set of Ping Eye 2+ BeCu's. I practiced a lot at home and played probably three dozen rounds on a short Executive course with two short par 4s. I came across a load of clubs from a shop that went out of business. Among them was a set of Wilson FG 17's. Hitting them at home, I loved the incredible feel. So the first time I played 18 holes on the "real" big boy course, guess what I brought? Yup. I couldn't hit a driver worth a darn having not practiced much with it. Slices and one big hook, but always recovering from somewhere. Be darned if I didn't recover and get on the green either in reg. or one extra shot. The guys I played with, knowing this was my first time were astonished. One we didn't know that joined us to make 4 could not believe how many great shots I hit onto greens especially considering the tiny old blades I was using. I scored 95 on my first time out. I've never shot over 100. My driver is much better now and if I got fit would probably improve a lot more. I'm still shooting around 90 a couple of years later with maybe 15 rounds under my belt. But most of that is due to the fact that I still can't putt worth a darn.

With that long preface, I will say I play with Callaway's X-Prototypes now. They feel great and I have tremendous confidence with them. I've never had a big problem finding the center of the club face, especially over the last year. Those clubs while considered "blades" have more weight on the top line which makes them more forgiving than typical MBs. My favorite one to hit? The 3 iron. I can count on 220 yards and rarely mishit it enough to really hurt. When I really flush it, I can carry it 230. That's at a mile high though. It wouldn't be that much at sea level. I tried a hybrid and tended to hook it. Granted I haven't tried several or been fit for one, so it's not fair to say I wouldn't do great with one if I did. But, I absolutely love the feel of pounding an effortless 3 iron off the tee or fairway. I can hit it high or low when I want and tend to draw it slightly. I strengthened the loft from 21 to 20 just to get a little more out of it. The rest of the set is standard.

As for playing blades instead of G.I. clubs as a relatively new player? I don't do it out of ego for sure. I honestly have more confidence standing over them the the big headed wide soled things I tried before. I also can't stand the looks of those things which is kind of beside the point, but affects your attitude. But besides hitting blades well, the reason I wanted to go with them is I can feel where I strike the ball on the face. Those G.I. clubs don't let you know. Could I score better with a G.I. set? Possibly. However, I don't think I lose many strokes to my irons. I lose them still due sometimes to the driver, but mostly 3 putting or worse. I play the blades to get better. If I couldn't feel when I missed the center of the face, I wouldn't correct it. I think playing with more challenging clubs makes you a better ball striker even though it may not be the quickest way to score lower.

Sorry if I rambled on too much.

Sorry if I rambled on too much.

I would never complain about someone rambling on. The way I look at it, is if it is too long for you don't read it.:D

I started this in February, and did not go back and read everything I have written since, but if you look at my what's in the bag at the bottom you will notice that the hybrids are gone and the Mizuno Fli Hi are in. These are really just chunkier irons. I have the problem of high pulls with most hybrids. I continually put them in the bag and pull them back out again. I have tried to get rid of the Hogan Hybrids but these are just perfect for me. Not too high very workable. I have tried to fall in love with the Titleist and TMag hybrids but like you said, they have some massive hooks hiding in them. The Hogans do not.

When I wrote the initial post, I was playing Titleist ZB irons. Before that I have the Callaway TA Prototypes that you play.I had these in 6-P and the X Forged in 3-5. I hated the X Forged and loved the Protos. I also had the Jaws matching wedges but did not like these, The reason was I could not hit a short pitch with them. They were just too hot for me, and I sold all of them as a set and got the ZB's.

Since last Feb, I have dropped 10 points on my handicap and am a much better ball striker. Now it is not about which one I hit the best, it is all about were the mishits go. With a hybrid it will be a big hook but long. With the irons it will be a straight shot, but very short or maybe a slight fade. I often carry one of each so that if I am playing a hole with trouble right, I will hit the long iron, but if trouble is shortI will hit the hybrid. Since we have two finishing holes that require a 200 yard shot but have water short and the bale out is right, I have been carrying the hybrid lately. I use the 4 iron on 12 and 14 because OB is left. And the hybrid on 17 and 18 because water is short.

I would never complain about someone rambling on. The way I look at it, is if it is too long for you don't read it.:D

I started this in February, and did not go back and read everything I have written since, but if you look at my what's in the bag at the bottom you will notice that the hybrids are gone and the Mizuno Fli Hi are in. These are really just chunkier irons. I have the problem of high pulls with most hybrids. I continually put them in the bag and pull them back out again. I have tried to get rid of the Hogan Hybrids but these are just perfect for me. Not too high very workable. I have tried to fall in love with the Titleist and TMag hybrids but like you said, they have some massive hooks hiding in them. The Hogans do not.

When I wrote the initial post, I was playing Titleist ZB irons. Before that I have the Callaway TA Prototypes that you play.I had these in 6-P and the X Forged in 3-5. I hated the X Forged and loved the Protos. I also had the Jaws matching wedges but did not like these, The reason was I could not hit a short pitch with them. They were just too hot for me, and I sold all of them as a set and got the ZB's.

Since last Feb, I have dropped 10 points on my handicap and am a much better ball striker. Now it is not about which one I hit the best, it is all about were the mishits go. With a hybrid it will be a big hook but long. With the irons it will be a straight shot, but very short or maybe a slight fade. I often carry one of each so that if I am playing a hole with trouble right, I will hit the long iron, but if trouble is shortI will hit the hybrid. Since we have two finishing holes that require a 200 yard shot but have water short and the bale out is right, I have been carrying the hybrid lately. I use the 4 iron on 12 and 14 because OB is left. And the hybrid on 17 and 18 because water is short.

Interesting. I tried a set of X Forged I compared to the Proto's. They didn't feel as good and were noticeably shorter. I had that set laying around for quite a while and just sold it on ebay. They had the Project X Flighted 6.0 shafts. Those were definitely not for me. I usually use a 5 iron for a solid 200 yd shot and I was maybe getting 185 out of it. Those shafts launch the mid and long irons too high for me. I checked on a launch monitor and the 5 iron was going as high as the 7. I have the Jaws wedges also. I love them myself. I haven't noticed having a hard time with high pitches in my experience, although that extra weight behind the blade will make them hotter like you said. I find it easy to hit very high shots or a low penetrating 110 yard shot with the sand wedge. I have targets set up 100 yards apart in my back yard I hit balls back and forth to. That has helped me a lot. Sometimes to practice hitting lower shots I'll take the 60* and hit it 100 yds. That takes a good strike to keep it low enough to get that far. Good practice. I really like the sole grind on them. You can lay it open and still get the leading edge low.

I noticed you have KBS Tours in XS. Same here except not the Black Nickle finish. I love the look of those, but not enough to replace mine just to get it.

Interesting. I tried a set of X Forged I compared to the Proto's. They didn't feel as good and were noticeably shorter. I had that set laying around for quite a while and just sold it on ebay. They had the Project X Flighted 6.0 shafts. Those were definitely not for me. I usually use a 5 iron for a solid 200 yd shot and I was maybe getting 185 out of it. Those shafts launch the mid and long irons too high for me. I checked on a launch monitor and the 5 iron was going as high as the 7. I have the Jaws wedges also. I love them myself. I haven't noticed having a hard time with high pitches in my experience, although that extra weight behind the blade will make them hotter like you said. I find it easy to hit very high shots or a low penetrating 110 yard shot with the sand wedge. I have targets set up 100 yards apart in my back yard I hit balls back and forth to. That has helped me a lot. Sometimes to practice hitting lower shots I'll take the 60* and hit it 100 yds. That takes a good strike to keep it low enough to get that far. Good practice. I really like the sole grind on them. You can lay it open and still get the leading edge low.

I noticed you have KBS Tours in XS. Same here except not the Black Nickle finish. I love the look of those, but not enough to replace mine just to get it.

With the Jaws wedges, I just did not have the distance control that I had with the blade (Vokey - Cleveland style) wedge. Since I did not like the wedges or the long irons I had I sold them as a complete set and got what I paid for them. The wedges were not selling good by themselves (which was why I bought them.) I only had them for a month but really wanted to go with the Titleist ZB's. Then I was going to change the shaft in them but my neighbor offered me as more than I paid for them so I had to let them go. And that is how I ended up with the Mizzies.

I have a set of Chrome KBS Tours XS also with some Hogan heads on them. These Hogan CFT lauch the ball a bit high for me and am considering making some changes at some point. It simply is not a priority.

I'm always fascinated by this discussion whenever and where ever it erupts. You need to play with what you're comfortable with and what you hit relatively well given your playing ability. Like RR I'm most concerned about what's going to happen when I miss a shot.

I'm amazed at the difference in the Mizuno's with a change in shaft in this regard. My misses are very playable all of a sudden - in fact thin hits have gone from not going far enough with my old irons to going too far with the new ones - given the fact that like all golfers save the very best I tend to under club this is not a bad thing at all. Bottom line for me is its the miss - I'm not trying to find out stuff about my swing anymore - I'm an old dog - I've been playing for 45 years - I know how I swing the club - for me a club with some GI is a good thing - I like the Mizuno JPX 825 pros because they have a nice balance between improvement and workability - they suit me just right now that they have the proper shaft in them.

For Blade if you hit 3 iron 230 why in the world would you use anything else off the tee? You should be able to shoot around par with that distance - that's how far I hit my driver and I go through long streaks where I play right around even - hit the 3 iron - work on the driver and slowly bring it back into the bag.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm always fascinated by this discussion whenever and where ever it erupts. You need to play with what you're comfortable with and what you hit relatively well given your playing ability. Like RR I'm most concerned about what's going to happen when I miss a shot.

I'm amazed at the difference in the Mizuno's with a change in shaft in this regard. My misses are very playable all of a sudden - in fact thin hits have gone from not going far enough with my old irons to going too far with the new ones - given the fact that like all golfers save the very best I tend to under club this is not a bad thing at all. Bottom line for me is its the miss - I'm not trying to find out stuff about my swing anymore - I'm an old dog - I've been playing for 45 years - I know how I swing the club - for me a club with some GI is a good thing - I like the Mizuno JPX 825 pros because they have a nice balance between improvement and workability - they suit me just right now that they have the proper shaft in them.

For Blade if you hit 3 iron 230 why in the world would you use anything else off the tee? You should be able to shoot around par with that distance - that's how far I hit my driver and I go through long streaks where I play right around even - hit the 3 iron - work on the driver and slowly bring it back into the bag.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been on the fence about a four hybrid for a while now. I carry a four iron, and the only place I use it other than full shots is low punches. I don't use it for chipping or anything else. I also have a huge distance gap between my long irons and 3 hybrid. I hit my four iron 180 yards, yet my 3 hybrid goes 215. Given my 3 hybrid has four more degrees of loft than my four iron, while my large iron gaps are 3 degrees. I do hit the four iron consistently, just not as consistently as I would hit a hybrid. Come spring I will be considering either bending the three hybrid up a degree or buying a 21 degree, then get a four hybrid.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I've been on the fence about a four hybrid for a while now. I carry a four iron, and the only place I use it other than full shots is low punches. I don't use it for chipping or anything else. I also have a huge distance gap between my long irons and 3 hybrid. I hit my four iron 180 yards, yet my 3 hybrid goes 215. Given my 3 hybrid has four more degrees of loft than my four iron, while my large iron gaps are 3 degrees. I do hit the four iron consistently, just not as consistently as I would hit a hybrid. Come spring I will be considering either bending the three hybrid up a degree or buying a 21 degree, then get a four hybrid.

It's very normal for a player with a sound swing to have a large yardage gap between his longest iron and shortest hybrid. I don't know that the hybrid can be bent open in order to weaken it - the last time I tried I was told mine couldn't so instead I strengthened the loft on my longest iron 2 degrees and strengthened the next longest iron 1 degree and it worked fine.

My current set has stronger lofts in the irons normally so I'm finding that I don't have the same issues - yet! B)

I hit the MP Fli-hi 185 or the 4 hybrid 185 and the 20 degree 200 so I'm good with either one in the set - hit the 5 iron 172, the 6 160 - the 7 148, the 8 135, the 9 123, the W 110 and the GW 105 so there's a problem because I hit my 55 88 - I think I'm going to have to weaken the GW.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Zac, there is one guy in West Michigan who could bend the hybrid. Luckily, he's at Maple Hill. Go find Ed Tonak, 5bucks and you'll have a new hybrid.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Archived