TESTERS WANTED! ×

Leave your ego and your long irons at home.

Zac, there is one guy in West Michigan who could bend the hybrid. Luckily, he's at Maple Hill. Go find Ed Tonak, 5bucks and you'll have a new hybrid.

I will probably buy a 21 degree before getting the 20 degree bent. Also, I would appreciate it if you would not call me by my name on the forum, a forum name does the job just as well.

Thanks

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will probably buy a 21 degree before getting the 20 degree bent. Also, I would appreciate it if you would not call me by my name on the forum, a forum name does the job just as well.

Thanks

Sounds good jay hawker.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

It's very normal for a player with a sound swing to have a large yardage gap between his longest iron and shortest hybrid. I don't know that the hybrid can be bent open in order to weaken it - the last time I tried I was told mine couldn't so instead I strengthened the loft on my longest iron 2 degrees and strengthened the next longest iron 1 degree and it worked fine.

My current set has stronger lofts in the irons normally so I'm finding that I don't have the same issues - yet! B)

I hit the MP Fli-hi 185 or the 4 hybrid 185 and the 20 degree 200 so I'm good with either one in the set - hit the 5 iron 172, the 6 160 - the 7 148, the 8 135, the 9 123, the W 110 and the GW 105 so there's a problem because I hit my 55 88 - I think I'm going to have to weaken the GW.

I like the idea with the idea with the irons. My irons in general are shorter than they should be, considering I drive it on average 270 yards, sometimes 280 or 290 on the big ones, while I only hit my 4 iron 180 yards, my 7 only about 150.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

For Blade if you hit 3 iron 230 why in the world would you use anything else off the tee? You should be able to shoot around par with that distance - that's how far I hit my driver and I go through long streaks where I play right around even - hit the 3 iron - work on the driver and slowly bring it back into the bag.

Blade, ya obviously have talent and a hell of a swing, your scores aside. You don't play enough & obviously you your short game/putting could use some work, and those score would fall like rain.

As he's a Reverend and can't really say it(lol), RK hit the nail on the head & I'll ask it in a different tone(;-)). Why in the hell would ya hit anything else if you're hittin a 3i 230yds? You obviously have a rock solid, consistently reproducable swing.

That's the only type of swing that can hit a 3i well. When guys get cocky, I hand 'em my 68 3i, and say swing away. Most shy away. You, my man, would wail away.

Work on the short gamme/putting :-)

The Best to ya

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

RK and RP- You're right about using it off the tee. I came to that realization this summer. It's a reliable shot I started using. Use my driver to get better with it. I haven't played much this summer like I thought I would. But when I make it out, it's to have fun and see what I can do as well. I played around with my driver at home last night because I knew I was launching it way too high. My lm camera is acting up so I couldn't get spin numbers. But I was measuring the launch angle with a tape and a little trig based on where it hit the net. It was about 24° with driver set to 9.5° and stiff shaft. I had the same shaft in X flex with a tip for my driver on it. With that and a little more pressure through the ball to load the shaft with my right hand, I dropped it to 15 or 16. Don't know what that did to spin though. I should get out for 9 tomorrow, so I'll be able to see the flight.

As for my short game near the green, I'm fairly solid. I get to practice that in my back yard. I can always get better though. Putting is the biggie. I want to put up a green and even sand trap out back. Maybe someday. Like RP said, I don't play enough. Scores come second to having fun right now. Of course the better you play, the more fun you have. I don't like hitting a bad shot any more than anyone else. But if I got upset, it would take the fun away. I kid that we pay to play. So the more shots you hit, the more you get for your money!!!

Dude, I just saw you mention the Jaws, and I gotta say that the non CofC Jaws are the most amazing wedges I'VE ever hit from a spin stand point & also the most destructive.

Amazing from the stand point that I am a very moderate-low spin wedge player. It is what it is. I have excellent distance control, so it's never hindered me. However my brother had these in his bag & I hit 'em & man, It was incredible. I mean I might have gotten a tad "wristier," though not noticably, and these babies spun like I was Phil, Jr.

Well, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point. It was amzing. I mean I was spinnin balls back 6-10' depending on my yardage. Now, I couldn't control it, though I never really worked on it nor pursued it cuz the ruling had already come down.

Destructive from the standpoint that when I hit a flush wedge, ball seriously scuffed. Like I had to use my tee to get the paint outa the grooves. I hit eight wedges and ruined 7 balls. 8 swings, 7 balls. It was ridiculous!

But man, could those things spin :-p

Fairways & Greens 4ever

RP

I have the Mac Daddy grooves on my wedges you're referring to. You're not kidding about some ball shredding groove edges! If I hit a number of full shots with it into the net, the grooves are filled with ball cover! That can be good if you need it or it can be bad. I've complained several times about landing a ball right at the pin thinking it was a great shot only for it to suck back to the front of the green. But I've done that with my short irons too which have the CC grooves. I'm learning how to control how aggressive I get to keep from backing a ball up when I don't want it to. I remember Kyle Stanley's otherwise great shot that spun back into the water and cost him the tournament. A shot isn't great just because it lands in a good spot. It has to stop moving in a good spot.

Blade, my statement wasn't a shot at ya. First, though you're fairly new, I'd never do that. Nor would any of the other guys. I can say from two years on here, that none of the guys would take an undeserved shot at someone.

It's just that someone who bags a 3i AND hits it 230yds has a nice swing. That doesn't compute with 90. Hell, it odesn't really compute with 80.

What seperates the 8-9 hdcper from the scratch-2 is from 120yds in, including the putter.

What seperates the average 90 scorer for from a scratch-2 is a hell of a lot more than that.lol

My point was that you're not the aveerage 90 scorer. Really, not the average 80 scorer, cuz I don't know too many 8-10 cappers that hit a 3i, much less hit it 230 yds.

Hell, I don't hit it 230yds

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Oh I didn't take it that way at all. Don't worry. The only reason my pitching and chipping is reasonable is because I have five acres of yard to practice in. No matter how much experience you get, practicing the short game is where you make up for other mistakes. That's never bad advice. If the only practice I got in was at the course, I would be pretty bad. I read on one particular site guys constantly asking how far to take the club back for 30 yds or whatever as if there's a formula for it. I learned early on to mentally focus on where I want the ball to land and just swing like I'm tossing it there. If you toss a ball with your hand, you don't think about how to move your body, arm or hand, you just do it.

I learned there are two things primarily that cause me to make a bad swing. First is thinking about hitting the ball. It takes your focus away from the target and changes your swing mechanics. The best way to hit an object on the ground in front of you is an OTT move. When your intent is moved up and toward the target your brain tells your body to move differently. My head turns with my body and I'm not even looking at the ball when the club gets to it.

The second thing is thinking mechanically, how to move. If I let myself think about it, it's almost a guaranteed bad swing.

Also, the only reason I do have a solid swing is because of having as much as 200 yds of length in my back yard to hit balls in and the indoor practice area I set up. Again, there's no way I would have developed any reliable swing if I only worked on it at the course. I live 25 min from the nearest course I play. I'm not there that often.

One more thing about the 230 yds. Everyone seems to think it's remarkable. But remember, I think I mentioned it, I live at 6600 ft. and the courses I play are about 5500 ft. I think at sea level you could knock a good 10% off that which puts me just over 200. It's not anywhere near "pro" distances we're talking about. So no, it's not quite what it sounds like for anyone at lower elevations.

I just wish I hadn't waited until I was 40 to start playing. I didn't know I liked golf! I never even watched it until a year and a half ago. Go figure! I do think I could score well in a reasonably short period of time if I just had the time to actually play more. I would love to put a putting green up out back. I just don't know if keeping up with maintenance on a real one, or paying for a synthetic one is the way to go.

I carry Driver 3w and switch between my 3h and 3i depending on wind I hit the hybird quite high so when it's windy I go with my 3 iron. That being said I play 4- PW VR pro Blades but my 3 iron is a vrs cavity because I can't hit the 3 blade with any consistency.

Edit my 3iron is a vr pro cavity not vrs.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I had never carried a hybrid before last season when I added the 18* hybrid in place of a two iron. This season I began to rotate a 21* hybrid in rather than the three iron from time to time. I have kind of settled on a 4-PW set with a 52, 56, 60 wedge set up.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• 4 weeks later...

It's people. More specifically, men.

I still find it very difficult to acknowledge that my driver is 12*. But that all goes bye-bye when I spank it 40 yards past Mr. X-stiff, 7.5*.

Getting the right equipment is sexy!!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived