Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Puttout trainer and perfect practice

SteveD

Hi gang,

Maybe this is a lousy idea-admittedly This is after a Night of drinking. But would it make any sense at all to junk the 12x 3 puttout Matt I have, and pair the 2 puttout trainers I have with the perfect practice perfect  Putting Matt? Read the stimp is adjustable on that vs what I have, and thus can provide more effective training.

Comments about what a moron I am, or better alternatives strongly encouraged.  

Edited by SteveD

16 hours ago, SteveD said:

Hi gang,

Maybe this is a lousy idea-admittedly This is after a Night of drinking. But would it make any sense at all to junk the 12x 3 puttout Matt I have, and pair the 2 puttout trainers I have with the perfect practice perfect  Putting Matt? Read the stimp is adjustable on that vs what I have, and thus can provide more effective training.

Comments about what a moron I am, or better alternatives strongly encouraged.  

What are you trying to accomplish; is it just speed adjustment?  Speed adjustment is nice, but not something that I think is mandatory.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

What are you trying to accomplish; is it just speed adjustment?  Speed adjustment is nice, but not something that I think is mandatory.  

More or less. Ive heard that Matt is better than the putout one because I can play around with the stimp. So since every course has holes that are different in stimp, wouldn’t it make sense to train at different ones?

2 hours ago, SteveD said:

More or less. Ive heard that Matt is better than the putout one because I can play around with the stimp. So since every course has holes that are different in stimp, wouldn’t it make sense to train at different ones?

Per the site you can change the speed based on the surface you place it on.  Hardwood floors would be faster than carpet.   

IMO,  I'd work on figuring things out at a single speed and then making adjustments when you get to the course.   Determine the stroke/feel that rolls the ball specific distances on your current mat and then when you get to the course figure out how far that distance is on that course and make the adjustment.   You'd also have to corelate the speed of the mat to the course which I think will require a huge amount of time.    

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

Per the site you can change the speed based on the surface you place it on.  Hardwood floors would be faster than carpet.   

IMO,  I'd work on figuring things out at a single speed and then making adjustments when you get to the course.   Determine the stroke/feel that rolls the ball specific distances on your current mat and then when you get to the course figure out how far that distance is on that course and make the adjustment.   You'd also have to corelate the speed of the mat to the course which I think will require a huge amount of time.    

Gotcha! Only thing is, my old lady wants my Matt confined to the basement concrete floors. Not to mention a 12x 3 mat would be tough to move regardless.

The logic here is that the more speeds/stumps I can get used  to, the better I’ll be. I’ll be  joining a CC soon,  but I still assume that green speeds  can vary (greatly?) per hole. And the guy himself said that seasonal changes can influence them as well. 

Which leads me to this. I’m think I MAY have found what I’m looking for, the Varispeed:

https://www.amazon.com/VariSpeed-Putting-System-Practice-Different/dp/B01ND1OIME?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1JG162COFTAIC

Seems to be some trade off though:

while the varispeed has adjustable stimp from 7-14 and putout is a permanent 10, the mat is smaller. 10ft x 20 inches and  I’d be replacing my puttout mat that is 12x3 ft.

I also see the puttout mat frequently on “best mat” lists, but not so much for varispeed. Am I overrating the benefits of varying speeds or should I swap the mat?

7 hours ago, SteveD said:

I’ll be  joining a CC soon,  but I still assume that green speeds  can vary (greatly?) per hole. And the guy himself said that seasonal changes can influence them as well. 

Am I overrating the benefits of varying speeds or should I swap the mat?

Typically courses try to keep all the greens the same speed on the same day.  There are some variations based on how sunny or shady or how well the water runs off  and over the course of the day.  You probably won't see more than a 2 on the stimp meter.    Course also alter based on weather;  fast greens in hot sunny weather are hard to maintain and in the fall they may be a little slower.

While it is nice to be able to vary speed, I think you are putting too much emphasis on needing a putting mat with variable speed especially if you are joining a CC where the speed will probably be pretty much the same.  You'd be better off matching their general speed rating.   

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Typically courses try to keep all the greens the same speed on the same day.  There are some variations based on how sunny or shady or how well the water runs off  and over the course of the day.  You probably won't see more than a 2 on the stimp meter.    Course also alter based on weather;  fast greens in hot sunny weather are hard to maintain and in the fall they may be a little slower.

While it is nice to be able to vary speed, I think you are putting too much emphasis on needing a putting mat with variable speed especially if you are joining a CC where the speed will probably be pretty much the same.  You'd be better off matching their general speed rating.   

My man! Thanks for helping as always!

• 10 months later...

I'm a huge fan off my puttout. Probably the best training tool I've ever had. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Also a big fan of the puttout.  I have the puttout mat too, not necessary but it was on sale and has helpful markings for using the puttout.  I only had space for the 6 footer and my putting from that distance has significantly improved.  Now i just need a new house with space for a longer mat to start getting better with my longer putts...

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 4 w/ Tensi AV White 75 X-Stiff

3 Wood: Ping i25 w/ Ping PWR 75 Tour X-Stiff

2 Iron: Taylormade 770 w/ MMT 105 Stiff

4-5 Iron: Callaway Rogue ST Pro w/ Modus 120 X-Stiff

6-9 Iron: PXG 311 ST w/ Elevate Tour v2 Stiff

46 Degree: Vokey SM8 F Grind

50 Degree: Mizuno T22 D Grind

54 Degree: Mizuno T22 D Grind

60 Degree: Vokey SM9 M Grind

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 1.5+

Mark me down as another fan of the Puttout. I leave it set up in my finished basement year round so I can use it whenever I feel the need which is usually several times each week. I have the six foot mat and can easily switch it from laying on the carpet to laying it on a hardwood floor to change things up. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black