Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What's your go-to rescue shot?

We all do it more often than we like.  Put a ball into a bad spot and have to dig ourselves out of the situation.  So do you guys have a go to get out of trouble shot that you are confident in? Or are you coming up with whatever you think will work best on the spot?

For me trouble is usually an errant tee shot that puts me in the trees, or near enough that I can't flight a normal shot back into play.  So my most confident rescue is a punch/short stinger 6 iron, played far back in my stance, to get back into play.  I feel confident enough that I can hit it short and accurately enough to get out of the trees, or play longer and run it up the fairway closer to the green if I have the room.  It's saved bogey for me several times on holes where I should have scored far worse.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

I don't mind the blank thought hit and hope shot. Had to use it a few times the last few rounds and its worked out well. However my go to recovery shot is usually when I get to the green and need to make a big putt. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I’m with you a low stinger is 99.9% my go to because like you typically my rescue shot is from a group of trees. If I am able to advance I typically go 5 iron and like you with the 6 can control the 5 pretty well and can hit it really any distance needed.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

29 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I’m with you a low stinger is 99.9% my go to because like you typically my rescue shot is from a group of trees. If I am able to advance I typically go 5 iron and like you with the 6 can control the 5 pretty well and can hit it really any distance needed.

i need this shot, like yesterday. 

i can’t, for the life of me, keep the ball low enough to pull this off. 

and in the rare event i do, it comes out so hot that i end up back in jail behind the green or through the other side of the fairway. 

luckily, my misses off the tee are usually bad enough to leave me in the next fairway with a shot over the trees and back in to play. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

19 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

i need this shot, like yesterday. 

i can’t, for the life of me, keep the ball low enough to pull this off. 

and in the rare event i do, it comes out so hot that i end up back in jail behind the green or through the other side of the fairway. 

luckily, my misses off the tee are usually bad enough to leave me in the next fairway with a shot over the trees and back in to play. 

I struggled with distance for a while. The most helpful thing for me was when using planemate and keeping my hands low, and the ball in the back of the feed. 
unfortunately  had to use it a lot the second half of the year this year, felt like I was getting myself in trouble for a lot of holes

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

^^ Same here. You have to have a repertoire of recovery shots, being good at one limits your chances of success. I don't have a best or favorite, and unfortunately I get to practice most of my repertoire often. Punch outs, very high loft over trees, fairway bunkers, short sided chip/pitch, partial swing layups, bunker fried eggs-under a lip-against back lip, severe sidehills, etc. I've made scrambling pars and birdies, and some double bogeys too.

To me one of the greatest recovery skills is knowing when to just take your medicine, versus going for a risky low odds recovery shot - too many people opt for the latter, self included sometimes...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
On 9/24/2022 at 2:29 AM, TheCanadianBogeyman said:

For me trouble is usually an errant tee shot that puts me in the trees,

I will 3rd, or 4th this.  I am not ashamed to say I am becoming something of an expert, in answering the question, "Exactly how hard do you hit a 4 iron from 125 yards, out from underneath the trees".  Ball almost uncomfortably far back in my stance, hands slightly in front of the ball, ignore the tree 35 feet in front of you, and all the others, and let it rip!  If the gaps in the trees are a little more forgiving I will use a 5 iron.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

I will 3rd, or 4th this.  I am not ashamed to say I am becoming something of an expert, in answering the question, "Exactly how hard do you hit a 4 iron from 125 yards, out from underneath the trees".  Ball almost uncomfortably far back in my stance, hands slightly in front of the ball, ignore the tree 35 feet in front of you, and all the others, and let it rip!  If the gaps in the trees are a little more forgiving I will use a 5 iron.

I have actually worked out how far 5 through 8 iron run out on a punch trying to keep the recovery game strong.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

21 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

I have actually worked out how far 5 through 8 iron run out on a punch trying to keep the recovery game strong.

I should probably do that as well.  I typically just have my 6 iron dialed.  But I need to make a shot like that enough that it would probably be beneficial to know my distances with different clubs.😅

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX