Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Roy

frank56

• Playing over the weekend and my partners ball went into bunker when we got there we saw the bunker had sleeper (wooden) face now on this face a lot of weeds had grown through the sleeper joints and my partners ball had caught up halfway down in the weeds in bunker we played it as it lied but I thought he might have been entitled to a free drop

On 9/27/2022 at 8:20 AM, frank56 said:
  • Playing over the weekend and my partners ball went into bunker when we got there we saw the bunker had sleeper (wooden) face now on this face a lot of weeds had grown through the sleeper joints and my partners ball had caught up halfway down in the weeds in bunker we played it as it lied but I thought he might have been entitled to a free drop

Here is my interpretation:  

start with rule 12.1, I would say he wasn’t in the bunker

12.1  When Your Ball Is in Bunker

Your ball is in a bunker when any part of it touches sand on the ground inside the edge of the bunker.

Your ball is also in a bunker if it is inside the edge of the bunker and rests:

If your ball lies on soil or grass or other growing or attached natural objects inside the edge of the bunker without touching sand, your ball is not in the bunker.

180_1.0.svg

Moving on and trying to determine if relief is allowed from the wooden bulkhead. The question is whether the bulkhead is considered an integral object.

Integral Object

An artificial object defined by the Committee as part of the challenge of playing the course from which free relief is not allowed.

Artificial objects defined by the Committee as integral objects are treated as immovable (see Rule 8.1a). But if part of an integral object (such as a gate or door or part of an attached cable) meets the definition of movable obstruction, that part is treated as a movable obstruction.

That is defined by the course and it’s local rules.  For tournament play it problem would be considered and integral object on the course so no relief.  The course could also define it as an immovable obstruction to prevent people from hitting it with their clubs,  if the course defines it as an immovable obstruction then relief is allowed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with @cnosil, it sounds like the ball wasn't in the Bunker.  We can't know whether those sleepers were Integral Objects or Immoveable Obstructions.  If they're defined as Integral Objects, there's no relief.  If they're not specifically defined as Integral Objects, they're Obstructions, and relief is available.  Refer to Rule 16.1 to understand where your Reference Point and Relief Area are.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm expanding on this to test my knowledge. If another theoretical bunker didn't have the sleepers and the ball had lodged into the front wall (that has no sand) of a bunker area:

My thinking: It's not in the bunker, it's in the general area and because it's embedded in it's own pitch mark, you get free relief. When you drop, the relief area must be in the general area, not the bunker (going from 16.3b).

Things that might change this that I'm unsure about:

• 16.3a says that part of the ball must below the area of the ground. If it's embedded in an upright face, is any part of the ball below the ground? Does "below the ground" in this case mean perpendicular into the face, or because it is already below the level of the surrounding ground, it's below the ground.
  • Are there other rules I'm missing that clarify it?

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

9 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

I'm expanding on this to test my knowledge. If another theoretical bunker didn't have the sleepers and the ball had lodged into the front wall (that has no sand) of a bunker area:

My thinking: It's not in the bunker, it's in the general area and because it's embedded in it's own pitch mark, you get free relief. When you drop, the relief area must be in the general area, not the bunker (going from 16.3b).

• 16.3a says that part of the ball must below the area of the ground. If it's embedded in an upright face, is any part of the ball below the ground? Does "below the ground" in this case mean perpendicular into the face, or because it is already below the level of the surrounding ground, it's below the ground.

I think this article explains it for you:

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/rules-of-golf-ball-embedded-bunker/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

You generally have it right.  A ball is not in the Bunker when its embedded in the face of the bunker, see Rule 12.1 to determine when a ball is in a Bunker.  Your Reference Point and Relief Area MUST be in the General Area.  In general there will be at least a sliver of General Area for you to drop in, most likely on that steep bunker face.  If it won't stay when dropped twice, and still won't stay when you try to place it, you find the nearest point in the General Area where it WILL stay when placed (14.2e).  This spot could be some distance away, and could be outside of the original Relief Area.  Also look at the Clarification to 16.3b.  If the ball is just barely above the sand, and both the Reference Point and the entire potential Relief Area are in the Bunker, you don't get to take free relief. 

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia