Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shot Clock in Golf - Ratings Boost or Sport Killer?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

shot-clock-banner.jpg

Golf Falling Through The TV Cracks

It is no secret that in the world of televised sports, Golf has never been the darling of the ratings. With the exception of the most major tournaments like the Masters, PGA Championship and the U.S. Open, it is a sad reality that most of the golf tournaments that populate our television's lineup on a weekly basis simply fall through the ratings cracks. Too many of all of us tune into baseball, football, basketball, or most recently, the Olympics to watch golf. The question is, why?

The Pace Of The Game

There are many arguments, on many different levels as to why people find televised golf, well, boring, for lack of a better term. One of the most interesting I have heard in recent memory, however, is that it is the pace, more than any other thing, that ends up pushing our finger down on the Channel Up button. Is golf too slow for you? Is it the multiple warm-up swings, the constant walking around the ball, the checking, re-checking, and testing of the wind? Is it just too slow?

Install Shot-Clocks?

So what do you do? What about a shot-clock? What if each and every player only have 35 or 45 seconds upon reaching their ball to check yardage, test the wind, practice swing, address and hit? What if there were penalties for any player that exceeded the shot clock...a stroke per infraction? I know this sounds ridiculous, that it sounds like spoiling the sport, ruining the precision and pace that set it aside from the other fast-paced sports like basketball and hockey, but once again, there are arguments on both sides of the coin.

It Could Work

The question is, would this boost ratings? Would the added pressure, speed and excitement of having to hurry up and golf bring more people in, or would it cause the golfer's score to go up, and up, and up and cause the overall quality of golf to go down, and down, and down? I personally worry most for the scores that we'd see posted if and when a shot clock ever did go into effect. In all honesty, a shot clock is probably the last thing we'd see introduced to the PGA Tour, but still, it begs the question as to what golf needs to get over the ratings hump, and start being as popular as we all know it should be.

We Want To Hear Your Opinions

One thing I think we can all agree on, golf without Tiger means an automatic loss of A LOT of viewers around the world. Whatever the case may be, sound off, we want to hear your opinions. Want the shot clock? Hate the idea? What are your ideas on the pro's and con's of adding something like this to the golf we all know and love? Better ideas? Sound off!

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Only if it has a buzzer too like in basketball. ;)

Really this is not necessary. There is so much money at stake that I can't fault them for taking their time. It wrecked Paddy's game when they put him on the clock last summer. Maybe there should be a faster pace of play on Th and Fri, but on the weekend, they have earned the right to play at their pace.

If TV dictated the game, the groove change would not have happened. It is good TV to hit it 20 yards past and spin it back into the cup. Common folk view that as fancy golf magic.. so do I. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Here's my thought: would the shot clock get someone who doesn't watch golf to tune in? My guess is that the first tournament with the clock would get a lot of curiosity viewers, but it would not be a long term ratings booster. On the downside, I think a lot of people would be turned off by the idea and might not watch anymore.

For me, I wouldn't turn golf off because of the clock, but I wouldn't like it. Some shots you can walk up to and hit quickly, some take time. That's the nature of the game, and I like watching the decision making process (we should mic more caddies), the pre-shot routines, etc.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Adding carts would do the same thing. Speed up play, but ruin the game.

This seems like when Fox added the comet graphic to the puck in hockey games. OK intentions but total failure.

Bannng using a line on the ball would also speed up the putting. No logo line either. Just putt the ball.

Volvo Intorqueo

Maybe there should be a faster pace of play on Th and Fri, but on the weekend, they have earned the right to play at their pace.

Nor sure I agree with this one my friend. Paddy is one thing, but watching Ben Crane lead a golf tournament is downright excruciating.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Adding carts would do the same thing. Speed up play, but ruin the game.

This seems like when Fox added the comet graphic to the puck in hockey games. OK intentions but total failure.

Bannng using a line on the ball would also speed up the putting. No logo line either. Just putt the ball.

I actually found myself wishing for the comet graphic during the Olympics. Is that bad?

I think they should use the PROTRACER technology more during golf telecasts. I love watching the ball flights because you get a better appreciation for how the pros work the ball in different circumstances.

Protracer Website

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think if the current rule on pace of play were enforced, things would probably be better.

That said, from where I'm sitting, they can take all day. If I wanted to watch something happen quickly I'd watch basketball. I enjoy the leisurely pace of golf paired with a little grading of papers and a little napping on a Sunday afternoon.

• SPY VIP

I actually found myself wishing for the comet graphic during the Olympics. Is that bad?

I think they should use the PROTRACER technology more during golf telecasts. I love watching the ball flights because you get a better appreciation for how the pros work the ball in different circumstances.

Protracer Website

I line the protracer too. Especially on the weekends so you can see how the hole played during the week. I definitely think there is room to expand its use. That ball is hard to track on TV.

Every time I watch hockey, I still expect to see the comet...

Volvo Intorqueo

Protracer Website

I agree I love watching how the pros shape their shots... I don't think it's needed on every shot, but it would be nice on replays...

I don't think there should be a clock, but there should be a push to speed up play... and not for individuals, but for everyone...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

I agree I love watching how the pros shape their shots... I don't think it's needed on every shot, but it would be nice on replays...

I don't think there should be a clock, but there should be a push to speed up play... and not for individuals, but for everyone...

The push is already there with the 'on the clock' designation. I think that the OP was just thinking of something a little more overt.

Volvo Intorqueo

I line the protracer too. Especially on the weekends so you can see how the hole played during the week. I definitely think there is room to expand its use. That ball is hard to track on TV.

Every time I watch hockey, I still expect to see the comet...

Good call on the Protracer, I'm a fan of that. I'm also a big fan of the aiming line on the greens, though I may be in the minority. Any of the graphics that should how pros play the holes, graphics that illustrate statistics, I like all of that.

I don't think it would change much for TV. As it is the TV guys can just switch to another player while one guy is getting ready. It may make the last couple groups on sunday a little better though, they end up going to commercial more than they show the players.

• SPY VIP

Good call on the Protracer, I'm a fan of that. I'm also a big fan of the aiming line on the greens, though I may be in the minority. Any of the graphics that should how pros play the holes, graphics that illustrate statistics, I like all of that.

Aiming line in replay is good. During the live putt though I want it clean without the announcer talking either.

Volvo Intorqueo

I sort of wish they could do Protracer live. I would even accept a slight delay so they don't have to replay it. The putting line is pretty cool too, and it has pretty good accuracy.

I learned something watching the coverage today that I will add to my routine. I will use the hand on the chest in my routine from now on..

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

I learned something watching the coverage today that I will add to my routine. I will use the hand on the chest in my routine from now on..

Can you elaborate on this for those of us who were unable to watch today? How does it relate to pace of play/shot clock?

Volvo Intorqueo

Can you elaborate on this for those of us who were unable to watch today? How does it relate to pace of play/shot clock?

Charl put his left hand on his sternum and swung the club with his right. I love to see every detail... Routines, Slow motion swings, the commentary and explanations.

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

Charl put his left hand on his sternum and swung the club with his right. I love to see every detail... Routines, Slow motion swings, the commentary and explanations.

Thank you for explaining that. I can see how such a preshot routine could impact pace of play.

Volvo Intorqueo

Also, when the difference of 1 position on the leader board, is hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars... I would line the putt up and check it a few times.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

Also, when the difference of 1 position on the leader board, is hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars... I would line the putt up and check it a few times.

Absolutely. I think that the clock should be off on Sunday. Give them the chance to play their best. They should be mentally tough enough to handle the pressure, but why give them the unnecessary time constraint. You miss, you lose seems enough pressure to me.

Volvo Intorqueo

Why not off the other days? How are they supposed to get to Sunday without keeping the same routine?

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

Typically the field is larger and the stress, although high is not as high as after the cut. I think that Saturday works too, as the tension increases. It is almost like earning the right to play the weekend earns you the right to be off the clock. With fewer players after the cut, time rules can be relaxed. Someone who is a slow player would have difficulties on Thursday and Friday, granted.

Volvo Intorqueo

Wouldn't that make it unfair? There is nothing wrong with the way it is.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

Wouldn't that make it unfair? There is nothing wrong with the way it is.

But there is a clock now. I am not saying make if faster Thursday and Friday, just enforce it. Then get rid of it on Sat and Sun. I don't think it is unfair because it is already there. It would just help improve performance on weekends. I don't think that the field would finish without pacing on the first two days.

Volvo Intorqueo

Putting a limitation on such a craft is absurd and I would stop watching.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

I think that I mentioned previously how Paddy was placed on the clock for slow play last summer when he was paired with Tiger. I remember hearing other On the Clock comments during various rounds last year. The timing limitation is already a rule. Enforcement is really the issue. Or removing this existing timing rule.

Volvo Intorqueo

Tiger broke the time limit too yet a word isn't spoken to him...

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

Tiger broke the time limit too yet a word isn't spoken to him...

And there in lies the problem. Unequal enforcement. It is similar to fouls in the NBA, stars get the calls. Totally backward there, the stars don't need the breaks that the journeyman players do.

Enforce the current rule for all, or get rid of it. Or modify it like I suggested above. That is my free gift to the PGA.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived