TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are talking stiffness profile aka ei proflie so yes there would be a difference. This is what is important and not the flex labor which is just an arbitrary label. You can take a px evenflow black 6.0 and a hzrdus black 6.0 and there’s going to be a difference even though both are stiff flex from the same manufacturer 

okay, let me flip this back around to you,  how should we be communicating about this experiment?  What do we as regular non industry people have available that would enable us to communicate about what is being done and tried? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for posting your experience with the lighter shaft. I have done the same test with the Ping Distanza Shaft in my G400 Max Driver 9*. The results were very similar to what you experienced. I found the max length most optimal was 45" with a C9 to D0 SW. I think the problem getting any higher in SW is the high torque of the shaft can't handle the additional weight in the head...IMHO.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9*

Fairway - Ping G425 #5 & #7

Hybrid - Ping G425 #4

Irons - Mizuno JPX HM 923 5-AW

Putter - Scotty Pro Platinum Newport two

34 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are talking stiffness profile aka ei proflie so yes there would be a difference. This is what is important and not the flex labor which is just an arbitrary label. You can take a px evenflow black 6.0 and a hzrdus black 6.0 and there’s going to be a difference even though both are stiff flex from the same manufacturer 

Shaft frequencies don’t really do anything other than giving readings two shafts can have the same measurement and be completely different in stiffness 

https://www.golfwrx.com/73753/wishon-shaft-frequency-can-be-misleading/

as mentioned above in my reply to cnosil if your fitter ain’t trying different weights and ei profiles or taking feedback about what you are trying to accomplish in your swing, what you want to see on the course, whether you are working on your game and what that entails along with your feedback on each combo you are getting a real fitting. 

Here's the deal man, if you're gonna disagree and argue in circles about everything we're trying to do here, you simply don't need to be a part of this thread. Super easy! I'm really not trying to be an @$$ but out of all of the fantastic comments so far, you're like the 1 guy trying to unravel what we're doing here. Can you please just let us all be idiots and do our own idiot experiments in our own idiot ways? I promise you, if you leave the thread you don't have to feel obligated to come back. I hereby officially relieve you of any further responsibility you feel you may have to tell us all how and why we're wrong. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

41 minutes ago, Geogolf007 said:

Thanks for posting your experience with the lighter shaft. I have done the same test with the Ping Distanza Shaft in my G400 Max Driver 9*. The results were very similar to what you experienced. I found the max length most optimal was 45" with a C9 to D0 SW. I think the problem getting any higher in SW is the high torque of the shaft can't handle the additional weight in the head...IMHO.

I think you're absolutely right! What's weird is that for so long, I've known that D4-D5 is my optimal SW.. but that's been with a 60-70g much stiffer profile. But it's been engrained in my head that it's D5 or bust. 

When I started down this road I saw D0-D2 as the preferred SW and came in with some doubts that this wouldn't work for me. With the lighter weight and flex, I can't see that I'd want to go any heavier than D2. The weight of the head feels pretty substantial in this setup so I wouldn't have it any other way 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I think you're absolutely right! What's weird is that for so long, I've known that D4-D5 is my optimal SW.. but that's been with a 60-70g much stiffer profile. But it's been engrained in my head that it's D5 or bust. 

When I started down this road I saw D0-D2 as the preferred SW and came in with some doubts that this wouldn't work for me. With the lighter weight and flex, I can't see that I'd want to go any heavier than D2. The weight of the head feels pretty substantial in this setup so I wouldn't have it any other way 

Stu, just curious, what's your swing weight in your irons and irons for reference. I've got a fitting coming up an I can say that this intrigues the hell out of me.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

12 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I totally agree. All thru my younger age I swung a 60g D3-D4 Reg and now that I'm 70 the lighter weight shaft with a D0 SW works really good but it took a long time for my mind to accept the lighter SW. Thanks again for the confirmation.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9*

Fairway - Ping G425 #5 & #7

Hybrid - Ping G425 #4

Irons - Mizuno JPX HM 923 5-AW

Putter - Scotty Pro Platinum Newport two

29 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Stu, just curious, what's your swing weight in your irons and irons for reference. I've got a fitting coming up an I can say that this intrigues the hell out of me.

So my irons are somewhat a progressive SW ranging from about D5 in the higher lofts, and then stepping down a SW about every 2 clubs. My wedges start at about D5, My 22.5° driving 4 iron with a 80g graphite shaft is about a D1. 

My iron and shaft choice, like this topic, and many of my life choices 😜 is a bit unconventional. I play Maltby TS1's with an early 2000's defunct shaft brand called Royal Precision. They're the Rifle Flighted option. Around about the 115g weight. My fairway woods are still around about D3. 

Don't be fooled by the light SW requirements of this test. I spent a good amount of time going back and forth between wedges and driver last night and there's no unnoticeable hitches in the transition. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd guess the driver to be a D4+ just by the overall feeling when you pick it up. 

I think the waggle effect tricks your brain into thinking it's much heavier than it is. 

Hopefully that answered your questions😬

MAXFLI  Tour CG

5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I think the waggle effect tricks your brain into thinking it's much heavier than it is.

Just watched a TXG video testing the AutoFlex irons shaft and Ian mentioned that when going lighter in the shaft even though the SW goes down usually, but the head weight is now a larger portion of the weight so it can actually feel heavier. Just another reminder that SW is not everything and you can get to almost any swing weight at a number of total club weights and they can al still feel different.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 minute ago, ejgaudette said:

Just watched a TXG video testing the AutoFlex irons shaft and Ian mentioned that when going lighter in the shaft even though the SW goes down usually, but the head weight is now a larger portion of the weight so it can actually feel heavier. Just another reminder that SW is not everything and you can get to almost any swing weight at a number of total club weights and they can al still feel different.

Good find! If Ian says it.. then it is so 😜 he's a knowledge beast! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 9/28/2022 at 12:35 AM, azstu324 said:

You read it correctly.. "Otto Phlex". I'm sure there's not a person on MGS or in the golf world who hasn't heard of (or seen) the Auto Flex shaft. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past couple of years, Auto Flex is a South Korean company that has basically branded their flagship shaft as a very flexible, but high performing, high tech, and somewhat "magic" shaft made with "Secret Hidden Korean Technology". The concept lends itself to the idea that a specific flexy profile can help increase clubhead and ball speed, while increasing launch and keeping spin relatively low, and improving disbursement and forgiveness, therefore yielding results of long, straight, towering bombs.. I mean, who doesn't what that right? Another claim is that while keeping the profile relatively soft, tempo improves, and the overall risk for injury can be reduced. 

Well I'll be one of the first to admit it. I was NEVER enamored by the claims and especially the price of the AutoFlex. Oh, and let's not forget about the color scheme.. Ultra Hot Pink? not my jam Sam. As a sole provider trying my best to balance a decent golf game on a budget with my family life, spending $800+ on a hot pink golf shaft just isn't something that interests me.. regardless of the claims. 

Well over the past year or so, there have been a few Youtube channels that have showcased the AutoFlex Hack.. or as I like to call it, the "Otto Phlex". It has been somewhat theorized that the secret sauce to the AutoFlex is based on the following basic profile characteristics: 2-3 flexes lighter than your preferred flex or frequency, at least 1 or even 2 weight classes lower than your preferred weight, a swingweight between D1 and D2 depending on the flex, and a mid/high launch profile. It has also been debated that the Autoflex works best when it's at least 46" or longer. I tried starting at 46.5" and just didn't like the length. I then tried shorter .5" increments and I ended up at 45" and I'll explain how I got there in a bit. 

OK before anybody sounds the alarm, I realize that all of these characteristics are subject to each shaft company's interpretation and that there is no such thing as a standardized R, S, X, etc, flex shaft. All of these characteristics are based on broad generalities and this experiment has quite a bit of wiggle room so don't get your plaid golf knickers in a twist. (there, got that out of the way)

I've been playing the MotoreX F1 6X for the past 2 years. It's an XS shaft according to Fujikura, it weighs in at about 68g uncut. I've played it at about D5 SW but the shaft can take the extra head weight with no issues. Up until very recently, this was supposed to be my "Forever" shaft. It just works and up to this point I just couldn't find anything better. This is however going by conventional wisdom standards that with 110+ mph swing speed, I need to play either a hefty stiff or XS profile shaft and my preferred weight has always been sub 70g in driver. 

InShot_20200305_221841708.jpg.541d033200b300b2437e53ea96abea52.jpg

InShot_20200305_133644033.jpg.aa8d0e1e7e5e9f7bd4d19c09a0cffdc9.jpg

My Otto Phlex profile should look something like this: A flex, 45 - 55g, High Launch with low loft setting or mid launch with standard loft setting. Torque is another factor that can be thrown into the debate ring as having any value. The AutoFlex from what I've read is around a 4.0 torque rating. I believe torque can be important with this experiment because we're really treading on the edge of making sure the shaft bends but doesn't twist. Too high of torque rating and you may be pushing things a little too far. 

DISCLAIMER 1: I realize that this is a subject that might rub some folks the wrong way.. namely those who've spent the $ and are completely bought into the Autoflex concept.. or those who've done the research, had a fitting, and are about to pull the trigger on one. I think that this topic fully encompasses the MGS spirit of debunking a pretty hyped up marketing claim and/or discussing alternatives that take all of the marketing hype out of the equation and stick to the hard facts. Does the concept actually work? Can I make an Otto Phlex shaft that performs similarly or better than the real thing while nixing the insane price tag by following the guidelines listed above? 

DISCLAIMER 2: just because I'm finding success with this at the moment, it doesn't mean that it's for everybody. This is definitely a concept that even I'm still working to wrap my head around after playing for 30 years. It definitely has a lot of allure and appeal so the best we can do is try it out, give it some time and formulate final conclusions when the data is adequate. 

Below are a few of the videos that influenced my journey (and a few others like @Samsonite, @blackngold_blood, @cnosil, @cksurfdude, @tommc23, (forgive me if I missed anyone else) down this Otto Phlex rabbit hole. We all started up in the thread discussing the new PXG 0311 Gen5 Driver and ended up directing most of our discussion towards this AutoFlex Hack project because it just worked in such harmonized synchrony with the Gen5 head. Below is the PGX Gen5 thread if you'd like to catch up on what lead to this topic. The top of about page 3 is where the discussion starts to go sideways and turn into AutoFlex hack project 😜

Here is the original review by MrShortgame of the Autoflex. Very supportive of the Autoflex performance benefits

Here are the colab videos by MrShortgage and MobileClubmaker. Both guys make great and very informative videos and they both know their stuff. 

Simon from SAS did something similar a while back.. He kind of rolls like me. He's all about getting the most out of a budget and still getting some really killer gear. 

Freddie Meikle Golf. I found this one as I was looking up more reviews for the PXG Gen 5 and it happened to be that he also stumbled upon the Otto Phlex 

After watching these videos about 10x each and saying "hey I can actually do that!", I tracked down a Project X Evenflow Riptide CB. In fact, it's the exact same spec of the shaft in the MrShortgame video. 40g 5.0 A flex. I sourced the shaft from a local OfferUp listing for a PXG Gen4 driver for sale. I reached out and offered the guy a straight trade for the Diamana S series that initially came with my Gen5 driver. Being that he was trying to sell his driver and I was able to gently convince him that an S flex might appeal to a broader audience, he was open for the trade. My fallback plan if all else fails is to plug in my trusty MotoreX and resell the experimental shafts and get on with my life. The only concern that I had was that the Evenflow played at 45" and I was convinced that it needed to be at least 46" for max results so I was already sourcing my shaft extension piece to have ready. Well eventually I discovered that 45" was absolutely perfect and that no extension was needed. I took the shaft back to the workshop, put it in the Gen5 and got the SW calculated to D0. Because of the higher balance point, I needed to add just a little more weight to the head. Luckily I was able to find a 10g PXG weight to replace one of the 7.5g weights and there we go.. I'm sitting right at D1.5.

0918222111.jpg.f250799100572234f05f85f12dd4c7d2.jpg

Now why is the SW so important with this build? Well this shaft isn't made for swing speeds over 100 MPH.. let alone the 110 - 115 that I'll be imparting on it. From my obsessive gathering of info, if you're able to keep the head weight to a minimum, and keep the swing weight optimal based on the desired shaft frequency (D1 lighter to D2 heavier), you should still be able to apply a max swing without any unwanted torsional head twisting. This is where the head can twist open or shut in addition to the shaft flexing the face up or down and then even more damaging is finding some odd variation in between where the face is flexed open or shut to some degree and then the face lofted or delofted to another degree and then who knows which direction the ball goes? Ultimately, the idea is to be able to put a hefty swing on the club and the ONLY reactional bending is the face increasing in loft, therefore assisting with an easier launch. Other variations are the actual club head itself. Every driver head is engineered for something specific. Luckily in my case, the PXG Gen5 seems to be a perfect mate for this experiment. It's naturally a lower spinning head and has a load of variable weight configurations. I have the 9* head option. 

Here are some standardized #'s from what I've seen with the MotoreX. I no longer have my membership with PGATSS (due to their recent 50% cost spike) so I'm just basing this off of memory from my last few sessions. (not 100%). As you can see though, the MotoreX works well for me. It's not an overly stiff profile. I'd say that it falls right where I need it to be between S+ and XS if I could give it my own classification. It's in the 65g weight class but actually closer to 70g than 65g. 

Launch - 10-12*
Ball Speed - 157 MPH (probably not accurate)
Swing Speed - 111
Carry 270
Spin 1900

Moment of Truth

I took the Project X Evenflow Riptide along with the MotoreX to the Foresight Monitors at an outdoor range. This way I can see true flight and get some basic #'s to help quantify what I'm seeing with my eyes. The only downside is that the balls they use are limited flight which supposedly cut the flight down by 20% and the monitors weren't showing club or ball speed and weren't showing Spin so I was kind of disappointed. The limited results that I did see however blew my socks off. I started off the session with about 20 hits from the MotoreX and saw a nice low-ish draw. The carry was about 250 with rollout to about 270+. Not bad considering the balls were limited flight. I did see my miss come into play a few times which is a hard pull hook. This happens when I'm not fully sync'd and I'm swinging with my arms, chasing the ball, and just flipping the face closed. My shot can quickly go from fairway to neighborhood finder on the wrong layout. 

As soon as I plugged in the "OttoPhlex1" (I'll get to that "1") I could immediately feel the difference but that's to be expected.. the difference however isn't what I was expecting at all. The club actually doesn't feel lighter by weight or Swing Weight. I think there's some kind of trickery about the D1 SW and overall lighter club. The club doesn't feel too light at all. In fact if feels perfect! The SW also doesn't feel like D1 but closer to my preferred D4-5. I'm sure it's more to do with physics than witchcraft but to a lay fool like me.. it's the devil at work! 🤣 JK. when I tee'd up my first ball, it was a high fowl ball to right field.. probably into the parking lot. weird.. OK this is a new sensation to me. At first impression I'm thinking, man this thing's too whippy and twisty. Well I buried that though and hit a few more. The more I hit, the more in sync I was getting and then the easier it became to just hit high towering baby draws. I'll say that the overall height at 9* was probably more than I wanted to see so I ended up cranking the loft down to 7.5 and just like old Bob Parsons himself would put it "KABOOM BABY".. ok I actually really hate PXG marketing but I guess it can have a time and place. You can read more about my thoughts on the Gen5 in the thread above.. but the overall feeling of it paired with the OttoPhlex1 is something else. The launch is effortless and even though I couldn't see the spin or ball speed #'s, I was getting about 15 yds more carry and rollout to about 290 - 300 yds. I went back and plugged the MotoreX in, bumped it back to 9° and then found myself struggling to get the ball in the air. A shaft that I've been familiar with for 2 years all of a sudden became a stranger to me. I had been so completely overtaken by the feeling, flight, and performance of the OttoPhlex1 that I'd completely forgot everything I knew about the MotoreX.. and that was just in 1 hitting session. 

So of course I go home all giddy happy but my silly brain just couldn't rest on 1 thing.. Just like the video with MrShortgame, the PX Evenflow Riptide didn't really feel how the Autoflex looks from videos. Those guys got some real 1/1 comparison and I don't know if I'll ever have that luxury. The shaft just felt like a really smooth, stable "Me" flex. Take the stigma of "# Flex" out of the equation. It isn't really whippy or overly explosive feeling but it just feels like a really nice, stable shaft to play that gave some great results and something that I could definitely game. So that night I went back to looking around for possibly another option that might land me a little closer to the Motore F3 like they used in the video. Looking at all of the comments, it's literally impossible to find that exact shaft anywhere and people were frustrated. Even the current MotoreX F3 is a tad pricy for an experiment. Off the top of my head I knew of a few light weight, low cost options that I could look into. I looked at the UST ProForce V2 in both the HL and standard version, the Aldila NXT GEN NVS Orange, and the classic Garafalloy Pro Launch Blue. All in A flex and ranging between 45 and 55g. Well I settled for the Garafalloy PL based on a very technical analysis of.. Aesthetics 😝. Now we have OttoPhlex2 in the mix. This and all of these are shafts that you can pick up at Golf Galaxy, PGATSS, or Golfworks for around $60, which is about the same price that AJ (Mobileclubmaker) paid for the OG Motore F3 and all seem to fit that general profile. I will add that I started out the GPLB at 46.5". The SW was just too much and I wasn't loving the length. So this is where I shortened it in .5" increments until I just found my glass slipper at 45". 

0925220749.jpg.1cc2be691971bf286a523ef632f62f75.jpg

0925220750.jpg.06c5af256a8b97475a213898625c31b4.jpg

I took this out to play a round on Saturday 9/24 and I tell you what.. Just like I was blown away by the improved results with the Evenflow Riptide, I was even more so impressed with the Garafalloy PLB. The round I played was on a tight community Exec course with very narrow fairways. I played the front 9 with the OttoPhlex1 and hit everything! then I played the back with OttoPhlex2 and not only did I hit everything but it was a noticeably longer and higher flight. Not feeling content with the limited amount of playing time during the round, I immediately took to the course driving range afterward to compare both shafts in a long drive battle. Same situation as the other range, they have limited flight balls. It's in a retirement community so the back wall of the range stops at about 290 from the matts and on the other side behind the back wall is a gigantic aluminum storage facility. When it's matts only, I haven't ever hit over the fence. When they push it to grass, and depending how far forward, and when you smash a good drive, you're rewarded with a loud PING when the ball hits the storage facility over the fence.. too many good drives, and the storage facility calls the golf course and you are kindly asked to put your driver away 😬. like I said, from the matts, that's that furthest point from the end of the range and I've never hit one over the fence. So I started the contest with the OttoPhlex1 (Riptide). I hit a lot of nice straight bombs that bounced to the wall but not over. When I put the OttoPhlex2 (GPLB) in, I was clearing the fence almost every 2 or 3 balls. Not only was I clearing the fence but I kept a directional point of a large tree at the back end of the range and everything was at or just outside of the tree. Luckily I finished the bucket and wasn't asked to leave 😛 Well for the finale, I took a used ball from my bag that I planned to retire to my backyard for chipping practice and tee'd it up. I didn't hit the side of the storage facility.. I landed it on the roof which had to be about 30' high and I wasn't rewarded with 1 PING.. but a series of pings as the ball bounced all the way across the rooftop🤯.

I've already made a short story very long but I had a chance to take both shafts to PGATSS to get some better #'s with the Garafalloy PLB. What I found just added to some of the crazy things that I've already seen with this club. Launch from a 7.5* head with little to no effort is right at about 14*. Club head speed 112+ without breaking a sweat. Spin.. 2000 - 2200 RPM. Carry distance an avg of 285 - 290 rolling out to around 315. Shots that I felt like I hit off the planet were just right or left of the green. I will add that I was using my game ball Maxfli Tour CG. 

I've got 1 more potential candidate that I would like to add to the mix and that's the UST ProForce V2 HL or regular V2. TBC

It's getting late. This is phase 1. I'll add some pics and continue more tomorrow. 

PLEASE feel free to start commenting or sharing any similar stories. I think this could be a really good topic for MGS to cover on their GolfScience channel. 

Cheers!

This was a well done and compelling read. Definitely not TL;DR. It’s not something I’d try given my game but I thoroughly enjoyed what you shared. Thanks. Oh and the picture below is what came to mind after reading this. 😂 I’ll just let myself out now.

118968E4-227C-4049-A32D-950237C23A29.jpeg.8180b23928f3a16eeb3c278b9d803961.jpeg

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I have no doubts that the Autoflex lives up to all of its claims and that it's an Excellent option for a lot of people. So far in my testing with the OttoPhlex I'm seeing exactly everything that the Autoflex claims. As I mentioned though, I may not have the opportunity to ever personally compare the Autoflex with the OttoPhlex so that's definitely a hole in my game here. I'm hoping that maybe I can attract the right attention and perhaps get some folks to join in who might have an Autoflex and see how much of the same sandbox these 2 are actually playing in. 

I'm sure that the Autoflex might have it's own unique or specific bend profile, but so does every other shaft company. Like you and quite a few others have mentioned in other forums and reviews, it's not completely for everybody. 

What I will give Autoflex 100% credit for is cleverly marketing a light weight, light flex shaft in a way that would intrigue the general population to take interest. Whatever their "proprietary" bend profile happens to be, it's a lighter flex, lighter weight L, A, or R frequency cleverly disguised with a X or XX. Sheep in wolf's clothing scenario. My theory: There's a lot of ego and pride in the world. Autoflex knew that many could benefit from this type of shaft but in order to get it into more hands, they needed to call it something more than it is.. AND charge an ungodly premium for it in order to get noticed. Just like the videos though, and now that the cat's getting let out of the bag, there are a decent handful of alternatives at a super-fraction of the price that can yield similar.. or dare we say better results. MrShortgame's video kind of proved that. If you took a high, mid, and low cost option of 3 shafts having similar (not exactly the same) bend profiles and conceptual performance properties, took the price tag and aesthetics away and just compare them strictly off of feeling and performance, the cheapest option pretty handedly took home the medal. 

I mean, it's because of Autoflex though that we're here telling our success stories of soft flex shafts and and before Autoflex was around, these are secrets we'd all be keeping bottled up and buried in the backyard. 😜

It's like my kids and broccoli.. I'll cover it with cheese, bacon, and butter just to get them to try it.. I too once needed it to be disguised in order to accept it.. now that I'm older and know better, I just eat it plain with no disguises because i know the benefits. 

Moral of this story: Autoflex = broccoli covered in cheese, bacon, and butter. 

You made me think with your “wolf in sheeps clothing” comment on the flex and Autoflex’s marketing. I wonder if they chose hot pink intentionally to attack the ego and “take the Mickey” as the Brits say. 

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

31 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

You made me think with your “wolf in sheeps clothing” comment on the flex and Autoflex’s marketing. I wonder if they chose hot pink intentionally to attack the ego and “take the Mickey” as the Brits say. 

Oh I don't doubt that there could be some underlying strategery there haha.

It's almost like they're saying "y'all don't care what the shaft looks like or feels like as long as it has XXS written down the side of it"

And they're not completely wrong 

And my reference was supposed to say "sheep in wolf's clothing " hopefully I didn't screw that up..  meaning that it looks all crazy and aggressive on the outside.. but really it's soft and cuddly on the inside

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

So my irons are somewhat a progressive SW ranging from about D5 in the higher lofts, and then stepping down a SW about every 2 clubs. My wedges start at about D5, My 22.5° driving 4 iron with a 80g graphite shaft is about a D1. 

My iron and shaft choice, like this topic, and many of my life choices 😜 is a bit unconventional. I play Maltby TS1's with an early 2000's defunct shaft brand called Royal Precision. They're the Rifle Flighted option. Around about the 115g weight. My fairway woods are still around about D3. 

Don't be fooled by the light SW requirements of this test. I spent a good amount of time going back and forth between wedges and driver last night and there's no unnoticeable hitches in the transition. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd guess the driver to be a D4+ just by the overall feeling when you pick it up. 

Hopefully that answered your questions😬

No it did help. I'm a D5 guy across all irons and wedges so to see what's working for you gives me some food for thought and some inspiration. I do want to try something in the lighter realm shaft weight wise at this fitting in a couple weeks and knowing I need the help with launch, perhaps I'm in a perfect world with the lighter flex. The only issue may be the transitional issue as I'm more hitter than swinger. We'll see what happens with the fitting.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

@azstu324 your next project?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

@azstu324 your next project?

I can barely handle this one .. let alone a whole bag full of them to review 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Just now, azstu324 said:

I can barely handle .. let alone a whole bag full of them to review 😜

We are getting into the off season... what else do you have planned to do?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

We are getting into the off season... what else do you have planned to do?

I'm in Arizona.. there is no off season 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I'm in Arizona.. there is no off season 

All the more reason to do it to keep all of us in winter entertained with you trials of different shafts and more! 

Love what you have done in the thread and it is definitely one to follow. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

All the more reason to do it to keep all of us in winter entertained with you trials of different shafts and more! 

Man you've got me at every angle!🤣

Here's one you just can't beat me on.. if I start another project like this my wife will probably take the kids and leave me.. and leave me with the cat.. 2 things I don't want to happen😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Man you've got me at every angle!🤣

Here's one you just can't beat me on.. if I start another project like this my wife will probably take the kids and leave me.. and leave me with the cat.. 2 things I don't want to happen😜

Can't say you're doing it for a friend? Or trying to single handily change the golf world for the betterment of all golfers?

I'll stop now, but this whole thread has certainly made me curious about all of this and made me debate on a few different options. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

On another note, and it looks like it's a matter of time, I'm really hoping to start having some others chime in who have started down this path. I'd love to get more feedback from others and maybe hear about some other shaft model options.. al the while praying that I don't get crucified for inadvertently leading a bunch of people into the darkness 😬

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Can't say you're doing it for a friend? Or trying to single handily change the golf world for the betterment of all golfers?

Last one for me too and I'm done.. she would certainly call BS on both accounts.. A. I have like 2 friends.. (let me finish 🤣) who golf and I've done all that I can do for them.. B. If I quit golf tomorrow she'd probably be as happy as a wife could be. So ANYTHING for the betterment of all golfers, therefore ensuring my continued interest in the game.. is of no interest to her🤣

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Just saw this for the AutoFlex fans not crazy about the hot pink.

D9181F86-BE53-4C5D-802B-5C0636C91305.jpeg.78a2d1dd98497b87263b949741210073.jpeg

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

On another note, and it looks like it's a matter of time, I'm really hoping to start having some others chime in who have started down this path. I'd love to get more feedback from others and maybe hear about some other shaft model options.. al the while praying that I don't get crucified for inadvertently leading a bunch of people into the darkness 😬

Still had good results with the Grafalloy Supercharged Pro Launch during my round today.  Came home to find a Diamana Red Board in L flex arrived while I was on the course.  Got an adapter and an extension added and the epoxy should be set by tomorrow.  Hopefully  time allows a quick trip to the range to see what happens.

So far so good.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

23 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

Still had good results with the Grafalloy Supercharged Pro Launch during my round today.  Came home to find a Diamana Red Board in L flex arrived while I was on the course.  Got an adapter and an extension added and the epoxy should be set by tomorrow.  Hopefully  time allows a quick trip to the range to see what happens.

So far so good.

Yeah man please let the group know your thoughts on how those 2 compare. What is the weight of the Diamana? 

I'm really itching to try 1 more shaft and that's the UST V2 HL. I honestly don't see how anything can out perform the GPLB but I think it's worth adding it to the mix just to see if it could be another option. The V2 is such a solid and classic shaft just like the GPLB

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Yeah man please let the group know your thoughts on how those 2 compare. What is the weight of the Diamana? 

I'm really itching to try 1 more shaft and that's the UST V2 HL. I honestly don't see how anything can out perform the GPLB but I think it's worth adding it to the mix just to see if it could be another option. The V2 is such a solid and classic shaft just like the GPLB

Nominal weight of the Diamana is 50 grams.  I'll weigh it in the morning once the epoxy has cured and let you know.

I also have a Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara W Series 40 Titleist SureFit Tour Driver Ladies Shaft on the way, that will be the lightest of the bunch.

Edited by Bobbers

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Try the UST55 gold at 49g in A, mid/heigh  launching with 4.5T@$44 TheGolfworks, 54 now I started playing 5 years ago and got obsessed with getting better and love tinkering. Build a couple of sets at home in my sons bedroom during the pandemic and shooting around 80 consistently now with around a 100 Swing speed. I just went from R 55 that I got fitted for 2 years ago to a S 67 handcrafted blue evenflow that I picked up at pgast for $49. Love this shaft and more forgiving but not as long. I am ordering one of 2 shafts after this forum to try out , UST55 or the GPL 45. Still doing my research? Leaning towards the UST55, thinking of tipping 1” and plying it at 45 with a D1 swing weight. It’s light, with a 4.5 torque, any thoughts?  The V2 is 51g 4.5T but heigh launching that I don’t need. The V2HL is The Average Golfers (YouTube) fitted shave @$66 , not bad if you can play any shaft in the world!

Edited by TheFonzzz

Two steps forwards one step back!

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

okay, let me flip this back around to you,  how should we be communicating about this experiment?  What do we as regular non industry people have available that would enable us to communicate about what is being done and tried? 

As forum members and so called smarter than the average golfer so many still get hung up on concepts, notions and old thought processes that have been debunked, or shown to be incorrect in the theory. They are supposedly more up to speed on technology and more informed yet the EI profile of shafts are ignored when talking about shafts and everyone focused on a letter that is only significant to the manufacturer who put it on a shaft. 

It didn’t help that there are people who work in the industry that in their videos, blogs or social media posts don’t talk about this. This is why imo txg is far and above when it comes to content. Unfortunately even they fall into misleading or misstating information on their videos. This doesn’t help the consumer.

There is information out there if people want it. Golfshaftreviews has plenty of data to compare shaft profiles. This can be used to figure out how to reduce stiffness or add it compared a letter code on a shaft.

People can communicate however they want I’m just pointing out that comparing certain aspects of shafts isn’t the best way to do it because there is no standard and that the EI profile is more important than the flex letter.

PX is probably one of the best examples to use because the hzrdus line is has a different design than the evenflow line and despite both having shafts in the same weight class and flex marking they are going to feel different and play different. PX said when they designed the original hzrdus line feel wasn’t even in the equation. It was all about performance. They changed that approach with even flow and kept the performance aspect while making sure how the shaft would feel be considered.

Experiments are fun and i get it, there was this short term craze over autoflex and many were running out to buy ii, try it and thought it was going to be this magic shaft. They saw pros putting it in the bag, heard some success stories and there were those who wanted it but didn’t want to pay the price tag it came with. So some guy comes up with an experiment to mimic the shaft based on what he thinks is the design, tests it out and it performs similar. Tells people they can get a cheaper shaft that performs as good as a high end shaft. There’s enough fitting stories on forums that say the samething. The cost of a shaft, the materials used don’t determine how good or bad a shaft is. How it feels and how it works or doesn’t work with one’s swing determines if it’s a good shaft or not. Tom Wishon has at least one article on wrx about this which I’ve posted several times and creates several threads on the myths he breakdown in that article.

Many on the internet who didn’t go thru a fitting, get the swing weight and length right in their experiments ditched the shaft. Many if not all the pros who saw some early honeymoon success dropped it pretty quickly. So is it really that great of a shaft? Is it better than anything else on the market?  For both questions the answer is probably yes for sum. Just like the ventus shaft was a hot item. It’s a good shaft for some and not so good for others. It’s also a shaft that has the same profile of other shafts on the market. 

Anyways, I’m glad the op found something that works and is having fun with the experiment. But I’m out on this thread 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As forum members and so called smarter than the average golfer so many still get hung up on concepts, notions and old thought processes that have been debunked, or shown to be incorrect in the theory. They are supposedly more up to speed on technology and more informed yet the EI profile of shafts are ignored when talking about shafts and everyone focused on a letter that is only significant to the manufacturer who put it on a shaft. 

It didn’t help that there are people who work in the industry that in their videos, blogs or social media posts don’t talk about this. This is why imo txg is far and above when it comes to content. Unfortunately even they fall into misleading or misstating information on their videos. This doesn’t help the consumer.

There is information out there if people want it. Golfshaftreviews has plenty of data to compare shaft profiles. This can be used to figure out how to reduce stiffness or add it compared a letter code on a shaft.

People can communicate however they want I’m just pointing out that comparing certain aspects of shafts isn’t the best way to do it because there is no standard and that the EI profile is more important than the flex letter.

PX is probably one of the best examples to use because the hzrdus line is has a different design than the evenflow line and despite both having shafts in the same weight class and flex marking they are going to feel different and play different. PX said when they designed the original hzrdus line feel wasn’t even in the equation. It was all about performance. They changed that approach with even flow and kept the performance aspect while making sure how the shaft would feel be considered.

Experiments are fun and i get it, there was this short term craze over autoflex and many were running out to buy ii, try it and thought it was going to be this magic shaft. They saw pros putting it in the bag, heard some success stories and there were those who wanted it but didn’t want to pay the price tag it came with. So some guy comes up with an experiment to mimic the shaft based on what he thinks is the design, tests it out and it performs similar. Tells people they can get a cheaper shaft that performs as good as a high end shaft. There’s enough fitting stories on forums that say the samething. The cost of a shaft, the materials used don’t determine how good or bad a shaft is. How it feels and how it works or doesn’t work with one’s swing determines if it’s a good shaft or not. Tom Wishon has at least one article on wrx about this which I’ve posted several times and creates several threads on the myths he breakdown in that article.

Many on the internet who didn’t go thru a fitting, get the swing weight and length right in their experiments ditched the shaft. Many if not all the pros who saw some early honeymoon success dropped it pretty quickly. So is it really that great of a shaft? Is it better than anything else on the market?  For both questions the answer is probably yes for sum. Just like the ventus shaft was a hot item. It’s a good shaft for some and not so good for others. It’s also a shaft that has the same profile of other shafts on the market. 

Anyways, I’m glad the op found something that works and is having fun with the experiment. But I’m out on this thread 

Again I don’t think anyone disagrees with anything you are saying here.   The reference to the golfshaftreviews is great, but I’m not willing to pay the $12 a year to get information I won’t use on a regular basis so I can’t get the profiles..  I personally think the value of these experiments is that it helps to show that people should not lock in on what is printed on the shaft and that you need to try/get fit for shafts to find what combination works for the player.  If these videos and experiments went to the depths of showing the Ei profile they would probably lose 99% of their viewers. But by using the information printed on the shaft you can show that these values are basically meaningless, that common thought is inaccurate, and that cost doesn’t indicate performance.  You can point people to these videos and experiments and show examples that prove what is printed on the shaft doesn’t indicate anything and you should look toward actual performance.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, TheFonzzz said:

Try the UST55 gold at 49g in A, mid/heigh  launching with 4.5T@$44 TheGolfworks, 54 now I started playing 5 years ago and got obsessed with getting better and love tinkering. Build a couple of sets at home in my sons bedroom during the pandemic and shooting around 80 consistently now with around a 100 Swing speed. I just went from R 55 that I got fitted for 2 years ago to a S 67 handcrafted blue evenflow that I picked up at pgast for $49. Love this shaft and more forgiving but not as long. I am ordering one of 2 shafts after this forum to try out , UST55 or the GPL 45. Still doing my research? Leaning towards the UST55, thinking of tipping 1” and plying it at 45 with a D1 swing weight. It’s light, with a 4.5 torque, any thoughts?  The V2 is 51g 4.5T but heigh launching that I don’t need. The V2HL is The Average Golfers (YouTube) fitted shave @$66 , not bad if you can play any shaft in the world!

I think the UST55 looks like a great profile to try out and I say give it a shot. 

Some food for thought, I used to steer clear of anything high launching before this project. Could have maybe been part of "feeding the macho", could have been misinformation, or maybe the truth outside of this experiment..? The GPLB is a higher launching shaft. As technical as I'd like to say my approach was for picking it over another mid launch shaft that i had in mind.. well I picked it based on liking the aesthetic better. (I know, shake your heads I deserve it 😜) but like Bob Ross would put it.. this was definitely a happy accident. I had already cranked the loft down to 7.5° for the Riptide and this project. I was loving the launch and overall performance of the riptide already and it was supposed to be a mid launch mid spin. Well the GPLB seems to launch a tad lower and my spin about 1-200 rpms less. But ball and swing speed is higher with the Garafalloy. 

I'm not in any way touting that the GPLB is the best option.. but maybe don't completely shut out higher launching options. Keep in mind that we're all kind of going down an unconventional path here so everything that we've played or have been fit for may need some kind of adjustment to work with this idea.

On another note, there's a 52g Garafalloy colab project shaft with Golfworks called GWX that's a mid/high and seems to meet the profile. I might be placing an order to Golfworks soon... 

I'm loving seeing all of the interest and possibilities out there! Can't wait to start hearing about the results!

MAXFLI  Tour CG