TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

10 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

See there I go.. still stuck in conventional wisdom land. It's a hard place to leave. I think I just assumed 115++mph.. must be XS+ (SMH at myself)😜

Still requires some thinking and planning.  For example my shaft is 50 grams and Stiff which should mean I should go to 30 and Senior.   I am probably won't go lighter than 45/50 and Senior.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 hours ago, BadgerRick said:

I'm going to give it a try in my spare driver head, and Epic Speed Max LS. I normally game a PIng 425 LST 10.5 set to 9, with an Aldila Rogue Silver 130msi. I don't use driver that much anymore, as I started playing a Taylormade Mini 300, and can get that well over 300 yards and much more accurate and consistent than the Ping. The distance isn't that big between the two, so I'd like to see if this experiment can get me a few yards more over the Mini 300 to make it worth using. My swing speed with my playing speed is around 115, sometimes getting it up to 120 if I step on it slightly. I bought the Grafalloy pro launch blue in the 40 gram version, A flex. Will report my findings when I get the set up.

Are you going to try the Grafalloy with the Ping 425- I’m thinking of trying it, but I’m not sure if it’ll handle the weight of the 425. I have a counter balance weight plug I could put into it to bring the swing weight down. Would be interested to know what your experience is with the Grafalloy?

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

23 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

Are you going to try the Grafalloy with the Ping 425- I’m thinking of trying it, but I’m not sure if it’ll handle the weight of the 425. I have a counter balance weight plug I could put into it to bring the swing weight down. Would be interested to know what your experience is with the Grafalloy?

To answer a question posed, the Aldila is an X flex. I probably won't try the light shaft experiment in the Ping, the head is 203 grams, it is probably too heavy at that weight unless I put a lighter weight in it, but who knows? I have been experimenting with a shorter, heavier shaft in the PIng, and that seems to be going pretty well. I love to tinker I guess, and the way I hit the Mini 300 is allowing me to play around with the driver right now. I had been playing with an injured knee since Thanksgiving last year, and I just had surgery to repair a torn meniscus finally. Still a little pain from the MCL sprain from that injury. I'm hoping that I can resume speed training soon, and I was averaging around 115 with the injured knee. The light, whippy shaft may let me swing easy while I return to swinging the club in another week or two.

Edited by BadgerRick

The Prolaunch GWX looks interesting? Please report asap! I will pull the trigger on your findings….               
Co-Designed by the Grafalloy and The GolfWorks R&D teams - The GWX graphite wood shafts were developed to produce a consistent mid to high penetrating trajectory with controlled spin rates to maximize both carry and roll out. Each shaft is 100% frequency tested in both the 0⁰ and 90⁰ planes for unparalleled consistency and quality in an ultra lightweight driver shaft.

Two steps forwards one step back!

I know a big question that's coming up is head weight, shaft weight, Swing weight, etc. This is what a setup with the Garafalloy non-CB PLB 45g A flex looks like cut to play 45" and D1 SW. I've got a Lamkin Sonar wrap grip that weighs 50g and 3 wraps. 

1001221034a.jpg.a247b6e2ee17c55549c2cbf42e6d1bce.jpg

1001221034b.jpg.a8c001fa99e1e15e91890252351df4fb.jpg

1001221035a.jpg.b37a947f4128c124c0b025d82f322bfa.jpg

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

19 minutes ago, TheFonzzz said:

Want to go further down the rabbit hole seeing aesthetic is important to us all! I think Robin designed worked for Grafallow. His shafts are very interesting!

1607D56D-9469-4801-8F39-FA76542E30B7.png

I have a TS light X flex in my Epic Speed right now. Amazingly stout for such a light shaft. All his shafts that I've hit have been really good.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:35 AM, azstu324 said:

You read it correctly.. "Otto Phlex". I'm sure there's not a person on MGS or in the golf world who hasn't heard of (or seen) the Auto Flex shaft. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past couple of years, Auto Flex is a South Korean company that has basically branded their flagship shaft as a very flexible, but high performing, high tech, and somewhat "magic" shaft made with "Secret Hidden Korean Technology". The concept lends itself to the idea that a specific flexy profile can help increase clubhead and ball speed, while increasing launch and keeping spin relatively low, and improving disbursement and forgiveness, therefore yielding results of long, straight, towering bombs.. I mean, who doesn't what that right? Another claim is that while keeping the profile relatively soft, tempo improves, and the overall risk for injury can be reduced. 

Well I'll be one of the first to admit it. I was NEVER enamored by the claims and especially the price of the AutoFlex. Oh, and let's not forget about the color scheme.. Ultra Hot Pink? not my jam Sam. As a sole provider trying my best to balance a decent golf game on a budget with my family life, spending $800+ on a hot pink golf shaft just isn't something that interests me.. regardless of the claims. 

Well over the past year or so, there have been a few Youtube channels that have showcased the AutoFlex Hack.. or as I like to call it, the "Otto Phlex". It has been somewhat theorized that the secret sauce to the AutoFlex is based on the following basic profile characteristics: 2-3 flexes lighter than your preferred flex or frequency, at least 1 or even 2 weight classes lower than your preferred weight, a swingweight between D1 and D2 depending on the flex, and a mid/high launch profile. It has also been debated that the Autoflex works best when it's at least 46" or longer. I tried starting at 46.5" and just didn't like the length. I then tried shorter .5" increments and I ended up at 45" and I'll explain how I got there in a bit. 

OK before anybody sounds the alarm, I realize that all of these characteristics are subject to each shaft company's interpretation and that there is no such thing as a standardized R, S, X, etc, flex shaft. All of these characteristics are based on broad generalities and this experiment has quite a bit of wiggle room so don't get your plaid golf knickers in a twist. (there, got that out of the way)

I've been playing the MotoreX F1 6X for the past 2 years. It's an XS shaft according to Fujikura, it weighs in at about 68g uncut. I've played it at about D5 SW but the shaft can take the extra head weight with no issues. Up until very recently, this was supposed to be my "Forever" shaft. It just works and up to this point I just couldn't find anything better. This is however going by conventional wisdom standards that with 110+ mph swing speed, I need to play either a hefty stiff or XS profile shaft and my preferred weight has always been sub 70g in driver. 

InShot_20200305_221841708.jpg.541d033200b300b2437e53ea96abea52.jpg

InShot_20200305_133644033.jpg.aa8d0e1e7e5e9f7bd4d19c09a0cffdc9.jpg

My Otto Phlex profile should look something like this: A flex, 45 - 55g, High Launch with low loft setting or mid launch with standard loft setting. Torque is another factor that can be thrown into the debate ring as having any value. The AutoFlex from what I've read is around a 4.0 torque rating. I believe torque can be important with this experiment because we're really treading on the edge of making sure the shaft bends but doesn't twist. Too high of torque rating and you may be pushing things a little too far. 

DISCLAIMER 1: I realize that this is a subject that might rub some folks the wrong way.. namely those who've spent the $ and are completely bought into the Autoflex concept.. or those who've done the research, had a fitting, and are about to pull the trigger on one. I think that this topic fully encompasses the MGS spirit of debunking a pretty hyped up marketing claim and/or discussing alternatives that take all of the marketing hype out of the equation and stick to the hard facts. Does the concept actually work? Can I make an Otto Phlex shaft that performs similarly or better than the real thing while nixing the insane price tag by following the guidelines listed above? 

DISCLAIMER 2: just because I'm finding success with this at the moment, it doesn't mean that it's for everybody. This is definitely a concept that even I'm still working to wrap my head around after playing for 30 years. It definitely has a lot of allure and appeal so the best we can do is try it out, give it some time and formulate final conclusions when the data is adequate. 

Below are a few of the videos that influenced my journey (and a few others like @Samsonite, @blackngold_blood, @cnosil, @cksurfdude, @tommc23, (forgive me if I missed anyone else) down this Otto Phlex rabbit hole. We all started up in the thread discussing the new PXG 0311 Gen5 Driver and ended up directing most of our discussion towards this AutoFlex Hack project because it just worked in such harmonized synchrony with the Gen5 head. Below is the PGX Gen5 thread if you'd like to catch up on what lead to this topic. The top of about page 3 is where the discussion starts to go sideways and turn into AutoFlex hack project 😜

Here is the original review by MrShortgame of the Autoflex. Very supportive of the Autoflex performance benefits

Here are the colab videos by MrShortgage and MobileClubmaker. Both guys make great and very informative videos and they both know their stuff. 

Simon from SAS did something similar a while back.. He kind of rolls like me. He's all about getting the most out of a budget and still getting some really killer gear. 

Freddie Meikle Golf. I found this one as I was looking up more reviews for the PXG Gen 5 and it happened to be that he also stumbled upon the Otto Phlex 

After watching these videos about 10x each and saying "hey I can actually do that!", I tracked down a Project X Evenflow Riptide CB. In fact, it's the exact same spec of the shaft in the MrShortgame video. 40g 5.0 A flex. I sourced the shaft from a local OfferUp listing for a PXG Gen4 driver for sale. I reached out and offered the guy a straight trade for the Diamana S series that initially came with my Gen5 driver. Being that he was trying to sell his driver and I was able to gently convince him that an S flex might appeal to a broader audience, he was open for the trade. My fallback plan if all else fails is to plug in my trusty MotoreX and resell the experimental shafts and get on with my life. The only concern that I had was that the Evenflow played at 45" and I was convinced that it needed to be at least 46" for max results so I was already sourcing my shaft extension piece to have ready. Well eventually I discovered that 45" was absolutely perfect and that no extension was needed. I took the shaft back to the workshop, put it in the Gen5 and got the SW calculated to D0. Because of the higher balance point, I needed to add just a little more weight to the head. Luckily I was able to find a 10g PXG weight to replace one of the 7.5g weights and there we go.. I'm sitting right at D1.5.

0918222111.jpg.f250799100572234f05f85f12dd4c7d2.jpg

Now why is the SW so important with this build? Well this shaft isn't made for swing speeds over 100 MPH.. let alone the 110 - 115 that I'll be imparting on it. From my obsessive gathering of info, if you're able to keep the head weight to a minimum, and keep the swing weight optimal based on the desired shaft frequency (D1 lighter to D2 heavier), you should still be able to apply a max swing without any unwanted torsional head twisting. This is where the head can twist open or shut in addition to the shaft flexing the face up or down and then even more damaging is finding some odd variation in between where the face is flexed open or shut to some degree and then the face lofted or delofted to another degree and then who knows which direction the ball goes? Ultimately, the idea is to be able to put a hefty swing on the club and the ONLY reactional bending is the face increasing in loft, therefore assisting with an easier launch. Other variations are the actual club head itself. Every driver head is engineered for something specific. Luckily in my case, the PXG Gen5 seems to be a perfect mate for this experiment. It's naturally a lower spinning head and has a load of variable weight configurations. I have the 9* head option. 

Here are some standardized #'s from what I've seen with the MotoreX. I no longer have my membership with PGATSS (due to their recent 50% cost spike) so I'm just basing this off of memory from my last few sessions. (not 100%). As you can see though, the MotoreX works well for me. It's not an overly stiff profile. I'd say that it falls right where I need it to be between S+ and XS if I could give it my own classification. It's in the 65g weight class but actually closer to 70g than 65g. 

Launch - 10-12*
Ball Speed - 157 MPH (probably not accurate)
Swing Speed - 111
Carry 270
Spin 1900

Moment of Truth

I took the Project X Evenflow Riptide along with the MotoreX to the Foresight Monitors at an outdoor range. This way I can see true flight and get some basic #'s to help quantify what I'm seeing with my eyes. The only downside is that the balls they use are limited flight which supposedly cut the flight down by 20% and the monitors weren't showing club or ball speed and weren't showing Spin so I was kind of disappointed. The limited results that I did see however blew my socks off. I started off the session with about 20 hits from the MotoreX and saw a nice low-ish draw. The carry was about 250 with rollout to about 270+. Not bad considering the balls were limited flight. I did see my miss come into play a few times which is a hard pull hook. This happens when I'm not fully sync'd and I'm swinging with my arms, chasing the ball, and just flipping the face closed. My shot can quickly go from fairway to neighborhood finder on the wrong layout. 

As soon as I plugged in the "OttoPhlex1" (I'll get to that "1") I could immediately feel the difference but that's to be expected.. the difference however isn't what I was expecting at all. The club actually doesn't feel lighter by weight or Swing Weight. I think there's some kind of trickery about the D1 SW and overall lighter club. The club doesn't feel too light at all. In fact if feels perfect! The SW also doesn't feel like D1 but closer to my preferred D4-5. I'm sure it's more to do with physics than witchcraft but to a lay fool like me.. it's the devil at work! 🤣 JK. when I tee'd up my first ball, it was a high fowl ball to right field.. probably into the parking lot. weird.. OK this is a new sensation to me. At first impression I'm thinking, man this thing's too whippy and twisty. Well I buried that though and hit a few more. The more I hit, the more in sync I was getting and then the easier it became to just hit high towering baby draws. I'll say that the overall height at 9* was probably more than I wanted to see so I ended up cranking the loft down to 7.5 and just like old Bob Parsons himself would put it "KABOOM BABY".. ok I actually really hate PXG marketing but I guess it can have a time and place. You can read more about my thoughts on the Gen5 in the thread above.. but the overall feeling of it paired with the OttoPhlex1 is something else. The launch is effortless and even though I couldn't see the spin or ball speed #'s, I was getting about 15 yds more carry and rollout to about 290 - 300 yds. I went back and plugged the MotoreX in, bumped it back to 9° and then found myself struggling to get the ball in the air. A shaft that I've been familiar with for 2 years all of a sudden became a stranger to me. I had been so completely overtaken by the feeling, flight, and performance of the OttoPhlex1 that I'd completely forgot everything I knew about the MotoreX.. and that was just in 1 hitting session. 

So of course I go home all giddy happy but my silly brain just couldn't rest on 1 thing.. Just like the video with MrShortgame, the PX Evenflow Riptide didn't really feel how the Autoflex looks from videos. Those guys got some real 1/1 comparison and I don't know if I'll ever have that luxury. The shaft just felt like a really smooth, stable "Me" flex. Take the stigma of "# Flex" out of the equation. It isn't really whippy or overly explosive feeling but it just feels like a really nice, stable shaft to play that gave some great results and something that I could definitely game. So that night I went back to looking around for possibly another option that might land me a little closer to the Motore F3 like they used in the video. Looking at all of the comments, it's literally impossible to find that exact shaft anywhere and people were frustrated. Even the current MotoreX F3 is a tad pricy for an experiment. Off the top of my head I knew of a few light weight, low cost options that I could look into. I looked at the UST ProForce V2 in both the HL and standard version, the Aldila NXT GEN NVS Orange, and the classic Garafalloy Pro Launch Blue. All in A flex and ranging between 45 and 55g. Well I settled for the Garafalloy PL based on a very technical analysis of.. Aesthetics 😝. Now we have OttoPhlex2 in the mix. This and all of these are shafts that you can pick up at Golf Galaxy, PGATSS, or Golfworks for around $60, which is about the same price that AJ (Mobileclubmaker) paid for the OG Motore F3 and all seem to fit that general profile. I will add that I started out the GPLB at 46.5". The SW was just too much and I wasn't loving the length. So this is where I shortened it in .5" increments until I just found my glass slipper at 45". 

0925220749.jpg.1cc2be691971bf286a523ef632f62f75.jpg

0925220750.jpg.06c5af256a8b97475a213898625c31b4.jpg

I took this out to play a round on Saturday 9/24 and I tell you what.. Just like I was blown away by the improved results with the Evenflow Riptide, I was even more so impressed with the Garafalloy PLB. The round I played was on a tight community Exec course with very narrow fairways. I played the front 9 with the OttoPhlex1 and hit everything! then I played the back with OttoPhlex2 and not only did I hit everything but it was a noticeably longer and higher flight. Not feeling content with the limited amount of playing time during the round, I immediately took to the course driving range afterward to compare both shafts in a long drive battle. Same situation as the other range, they have limited flight balls. It's in a retirement community so the back wall of the range stops at about 290 from the matts and on the other side behind the back wall is a gigantic aluminum storage facility. When it's matts only, I haven't ever hit over the fence. When they push it to grass, and depending how far forward, and when you smash a good drive, you're rewarded with a loud PING when the ball hits the storage facility over the fence.. too many good drives, and the storage facility calls the golf course and you are kindly asked to put your driver away 😬. like I said, from the matts, that's that furthest point from the end of the range and I've never hit one over the fence. So I started the contest with the OttoPhlex1 (Riptide). I hit a lot of nice straight bombs that bounced to the wall but not over. When I put the OttoPhlex2 (GPLB) in, I was clearing the fence almost every 2 or 3 balls. Not only was I clearing the fence but I kept a directional point of a large tree at the back end of the range and everything was at or just outside of the tree. Luckily I finished the bucket and wasn't asked to leave 😛 Well for the finale, I took a used ball from my bag that I planned to retire to my backyard for chipping practice and tee'd it up. I didn't hit the side of the storage facility.. I landed it on the roof which had to be about 30' high and I wasn't rewarded with 1 PING.. but a series of pings as the ball bounced all the way across the rooftop🤯.

I've already made a short story very long but I had a chance to take both shafts to PGATSS to get some better #'s with the Garafalloy PLB. What I found just added to some of the crazy things that I've already seen with this club. Launch from a 7.5* head with little to no effort is right at about 14*. Club head speed 112+ without breaking a sweat. Spin.. 2000 - 2200 RPM. Carry distance an avg of 285 - 290 rolling out to around 315. Shots that I felt like I hit off the planet were just right or left of the green. I will add that I was using my game ball Maxfli Tour CG. 

I've got 1 more potential candidate that I would like to add to the mix and that's the UST ProForce V2 HL or regular V2. TBC

It's getting late. This is phase 1. I'll add some pics and continue more tomorrow. 

PLEASE feel free to start commenting or sharing any similar stories. I think this could be a really good topic for MGS to cover on their GolfScience channel. 

Cheers!

I want to try this experiment with the Grafalloy Blue you mentioned. So it has the same bend characteristics as the Autoflex? 

What head weight were you having success with in your PXG? I want to try this with my Ping 425, which I believe weighs around 204 grams. 

Great thread for us tinkerers - thanks. 

31 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I want to try this experiment with the Grafalloy Blue you mentioned. So it has the same bend characteristics as the Autoflex? 

What head weight were you having success with in your PXG? I want to try this with my Ping 425, which I believe weighs around 204 grams. 

There is a thread on WRX that has the bend profile for the AutoFlex and shafts that are similar in profile.   The Grafalloy isn't listed in that list so it may not be the same bend profile.  I did a quick google search but couldn't find the profile numbers for the light A flex.   The Miyazaki C.Kua is supposed to be the closest match,  but there was someone in the thread that compared it side by side and said the feel was different. 

The general setup isn't about the headweight of the driver but the resulting swingweight.  With the  Autoflex the target swingweight seems to be in the D0 to D1 range for optimal performance.   So for this type of experiment you should make adjustments to get your Otto phlex configuration in that same range.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There is a thread on WRX that has the bend profile for the AutoFlex and shafts that are similar in profile.   The Grafalloy isn't listed in that list so it may not be the same bend profile.  I did a quick google search but couldn't find the profile numbers for the light A flex.   The Miyazaki C.Kua is supposed to be the closest match,  but there was someone in the thread that compared it side by side and said the feel was different. 

The general setup isn't about the headweight of the driver but the resulting swingweight.  With the  Autoflex the target swingweight seems to be in the D0 to D1 range for optimal performance.   So for this type of experiment you should make adjustments to get your Otto phlex configuration in that same range.  

I think I found it. Now to find a cheap one of these.

885BC499-E928-4DCB-8B9D-B805DAC72169.jpeg

45 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

The same? no. Similar? I would venture to say so. Possibly better? Maybe.. From what I've gathered the tip section might actually be a little more active in the Garafalloy but the butt section a bit more stiff. I would say that it's probably closer to the Fuji Motore F3 in the videos. With an experiment like this I'd put a 75% comparable stamp on it. But I wouldn't count the 25% as a negative. Maybe different, possibly better.  

In case you missed my recent post, below is the separate weight of both the PXG 0311 and the shaft/grip/adapter. The shaft is cut so the driver plays at 45". I do have 10g weight that I swapped in for one of the 7.5g. While the G425 looks heavier, it looks like you might be able to negate the difference with the right grip or a counter weight plug or lead tape under the grip. If you wanted anything longer, you might need to look at other measures. 

Hopefully this was helpful. 

All that I can say is try it out. Before doing this, I would have turned my nose up to anything resembling a distant relative of the Autoflex. Assuming the results hold up, I'm seeing some of the most consistent drives probably ever and I've long since forgotten about my Fujikura MotoreX. From here forward it's OttoPhlex for life! 

1001221034.jpg.a02ff95e05c1e62231b1012c9f554b70.jpg

1001221034b.jpg.9479082b5189b4bb8a539b0bfeb1226e.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

16 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I think I found it. Now to find a cheap one of these.

885BC499-E928-4DCB-8B9D-B805DAC72169.jpeg

If you were to stick strictly to this list, I recommend the UST V2 HL. Only because I had it on my list😜 that said, the neither the Fuji Motore F3 or the PX Riptide Evenflow CB are on it either and according to the Videos, they were frequency measured to be similar also.. AND both yielded better results than the Autoflex. Soooooo 🤷🏼‍♂️

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

If you were to stick strictly to this list, I recommend the UST V2 HL. Only because I had it on my list😜 that said, the neither the Fuji Motore F3 or the PX Riptide Evenflow CB are on it either and according to the Videos, they were frequency measured to be similar also.. AND both yielded better results than the Autoflex. Soooooo 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is odd that Motore and Evenflow aren’t on the list. I think I’m going to try the Grafalloy- thanks for pictures on the scale @azstu324. I’ll see if a butt weight will help get the 425 to D1- if not I can order a lighter head weight.

thanks! 

2 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

You might want to consider using a lighter weight in the driver head to allow you to play a longer length shaft.  It seems the "formula" with the Autoflex is to shoot for a D0-D1 swing weight and a 46 inch club length.

Just a thought.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Yes, it’s all about the swing…length…weight…grip…club face…and path and what this all boils down to seems to be that judging a golfers swing speed and matching it to a stiffness is all wrong! I think if you got a tempo, you are obligated to find the lightest, flexible, easiest Driver shaft that you can hit without thinking but feeling absolutely +++ eager to drive into the sky! There are a bunch of you-tubers that are shaft antonyms! Justin T got tempo, we are not professionals but are tinkerests with tempo on some glorious given days!

15 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Do you know the swing weight of your G425 with the Autoflex. I may try to build $50 version with mine. 
thanks

D5. 

Fussing about getting to a D0 or D1 swing weight will make the driver too light and hard to control. Counter weighting does not help. I went through that journey when I first got Autoflex. I was about to give up when I decided to put the standard G425max head on it. So glad I did. It's the most reliable club in the bag. 

Edited by pbclubdude

8 hours ago, pbclubdude said:

D5. 

Fussing about getting to a D0 or D1 swing weight will make the driver too light and hard to control. 

Sounds like you are making a blanket type statement here.   This thread is showing that these type of blanket statements are generally false.    BTW,  my G400 max is just under D1 and it isn't too light or hard to control.   The D0/D1 weight is what is often stated as the target for an Autoflex setup; which obviously doesn't work for you.  D5 won't work for everyone either.  

10 hours ago, pbclubdude said:

D5. 

Fussing about getting to a D0 or D1 swing weight will make the driver too light and hard to control. Counter weighting does not help. I went through that journey when I first got Autoflex. I was about to give up when I decided to put the standard G425max head on it. So glad I did. It's the most reliable club in the bag. 

Believe me, I too struggled with the idea that D0-D2 could be a playable swing weight. D5 is what I've known for so long to be my ideal match. And in a 65-70 g much stiffer profile shaft it is.

This whole subject in itself is about breaking through that conventional barrier. If I had tried this experiment and found that none of these theories and claims worked, this thread would have never been started. Per Autoflex, they've even state that for maximum performance results, D0-D1 is needed. Anything heavier and you might be exceeding the limits of how the shaft is meant to perform. Is that 100% accurate? Couldn't tell ya. 

Without going into 14" fulcrum vs balance point, and swing weight being an arbitrary and not a static measurement, we know that it's a measurement that represents a general feeling and not an actual scientific or mathematical outcome. Under the conventional platform # Swing Speed = # flex + # g shaft, SW does make sense when trying to find a feeling that allows the player to maintain a good tempo and adequately feel the club head moving through impact without getting lost. It's been agreed by expert smiths though that a major component that was never really factored into SW was flex profile. For a long time and still common practice, "flex" has typically been a swing speed only designation.. I.e. you swing 100-105 mph, then you're an S flex.

A club SW of D1 with a S flex 65g shaft at 45" will feel substantially different (lighter) than a D1 A flex with a 45-50g shaft at 45". I'm finding that to be 100% accurate with this experiment. I'm not a physicist or mechanical engineer so I can't spout out the specific science behind it all, but overall the mass of the head isnt changing. It's not like we're building a scale model where everything's precisely 35% smaller. From my measurements you can see that 2/3 of the mass of the club comes from the head alone. The balance point has been substantially shifted downward. Couple that with a much more bendy profile, the result is a much heavier feeling than the conventional D1 SW would suggest. 

Hopefully all of that sounded ok. I'm on vacation with my kids with limited resources. I woke up early to check on my 3rd child "this thread". I'm off to the waterslides for the day so don't beat me up too badly while I'm not around to defend myself 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I found the beast! 55g, 4.0T, mid launching in L flex! Tipped 1”, Paint job included !!!🥹The green got a similar profile if your not into the bubba colors! For you only $59!

B267352A-6D50-441D-9ACA-912556A30609.png

Edited by TheFonzzz

I currently play an Autoflex s405 with a Sim Max 2 @ 45 inches.  After watching the Mobile Club Maker I ordered an Even Flow Rip Tide CB L flex.  If it works I could sell the Autoflex and have some $ to buy some more stuff.  

Took them to the range and I was a little disappointed.  As far as I could tell the distance was similar, but the Rip Tide felt stiff compared to the Autoflex and the dispersion was not as good.  I tried adding weight to the head with no success.  

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Sounds like you are making a blanket type statement here.   This thread is showing that these type of blanket statements are generally false.    BTW,  my G400 max is just under D1 and it isn't too light or hard to control.   The D0/D1 weight is what is often stated as the target for an Autoflex setup; which obviously doesn't work for you.  D5 won't work for everyone either.  

OK, Im generally making false statements. 

Good luck all. Just trying to add my experiences. Should have known better. Im out. 

48 minutes ago, lucky_leroy said:

I currently play an Autoflex s405 with a Sim Max 2 @ 45 inches.  After watching the Mobile Club Maker I ordered an Even Flow Rip Tide CB L flex.  If it works I could sell the Autoflex and have some $ to buy some more stuff.  

Took them to the range and I was a little disappointed.  As far as I could tell the distance was similar, but the Rip Tide felt stiff compared to the Autoflex and the dispersion was not as good.  I tried adding weight to the head with no success.  

Thanks for sharing your experience. The field of people who have actually done a side by side comparison with the real deal is going to be limited so this definitely a helpful post!

What I really wish they had done was do 1 more test where they took the Fujikura Motore F3 and then put together a group of these sub-$100 options that are plentifully available. I too was hooked by the PX Evenflow Riptide as they said it was the closest match #'s wise.. but the Fuji was actually the overall winner for feel and performance.. but then again the PX is much easier to find so my money went that direction initially. 

If I were already the owner of an Autoflex, I probably would have been met with the same disappointment too. Like I mentioned, for me the PX Was a pretty solid performer and I would probably even keep it in the bag over the MotoreX F1 if the Garafalloy PLB weren't just so good. Just like you and Mobile Club Maker/Mr Short game stated, it just wasn't the profile that I was hoping for. Well because I didn't already have an Autoflex to go back to, that's where I gave fate another chance and picked up the Garafalloy PLB 45g. I actually had planned to just keep buying and reselling until I found what I thought I was after. The GPLB just seemed to be the instant winner. The more and more I kept hitting, and then playing with it, the more I just became disinterested in looking for anything else. I really feel like my search started with the PX Evenflow and ended with the GPLB. Luckily it only took me 2 tries to get it right. 

I'm really hoping to get someone who can compare a Garafalloy or any of these other $60-$70 possibilities to an autoflex.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, TheFonzzz said:

I found the beast! 55g, 4.0T, mid launching in L flex! Tipped 1”, Paint job included !!!🥹The green got a similar profile if your not into the bubba colors! For you only $59!

This was initially on my list of shafts to look at. Unfortunately Pepto pink is less my jam than ultra hot pink. But if that's how you gotta roll, go get it my man! 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

44 minutes ago, pbclubdude said:

OK, Im generally making false statements. 

Good luck all. Just trying to add my experiences. Should have known better. Im out. 

Your experience is that D5 works for you and that D0/D1 didn't. Great to know that players should tweak and play with the configuration of the Autoflex.   How may people have you fit using the Autoflex alternative approach?  Was your suggestion of D5  targeted at all golfers or just what you experienced?  I read it as D0/D1 shouldn't be used by anyone as it is uncontrollable.   If I misunderstood explain your findings in more detail.

I most probably going to try the NV green in A,54G,3.9T, no tipping. Its low launching. My Mizuno ST220 head is 10.5 and I don’t like dropping the degrees as it opens up the face. I’m a heigh hitter so I think the low launching A flex at 10.5 should work!?

8 minutes ago, TheFonzzz said:

I most probably going to try the NV green in A,54G,3.9T, no tipping. Its low launching. My Mizuno ST220 head is 10.5 and I don’t like dropping the degrees as it opens up the face. I’m a heigh hitter so I think the low launching A flex at 10.5 should work!?

Let us know how it works man! This thing is building up to be pretty awesome so far! 

I'm hopeful to have my Garafalloy WRX shaft this week to add to the mix. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

17 hours ago, TheFonzzz said:

My wife has this shaft on her driver. Ive hit it at the range after hitting my driver and I slice the heck out of it, but when I slow my swing down and swing really easy the ball jumps off of it.  

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Played yesterday and hit the range today.  I find that sometimes on the course if I'm playing well I can lost track of the details of any testing I might be engaged in.  Alternated yesterday between the PXG gen 5 driver with the Diamana Red Board in and set at 11 degrees and a Callaway Epic Max set at 10 degrees with an L flex Titleist Bassara series "W" (the Wyvern profile which I've always really liked). 

Close call but the nod yesterday went to the Bassara W.  Both setups were at 46 inches length and D0; wanted to keep things as close to equal to create a level playing field for the evaluation.

Took both to the range today, the Bassara was the clear winner.  Nice high, arcing flight, tiny, tiny draw shape to the ball flight.  As a short hitter I've never enjoyed a useful amount of spin on my tee shots...until today.  The ball just kept going and going, the trajectory was, to me at least, really pleasant.  Seems my slow but smooth swing matched up with the combo perfectly.

Average drive yesterday was between 12-18 yards longer, on average, than what's normal for me.  Longest was a wee bit of a pull that went 200 yards.  Last time that happened was, well, yeah, that long...

Playing Wednesday with my cousin's husband, Friday with my son for our "we finally got it scheduled" annual Father's Day outing, and again on Sunday.  Going to take just the one driver and give it a good work out and collect some more yardages.

Oh, also tried a Project X PV or something similar Callway used to offer in the PXG and it didn't top the Diamana.  Might snag one more the the Bassara shafts and put a PXG adapter on it to see what it can do.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter