TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

I am still waiting on my experiment to show up. 

But after reading these testimonials...do you think part of the success is due to:

1.  people are playing too low of a spin setups for them?  I think with my +4-6* angle of attack, I could probably play a 9* driver.  but I don't...I play a 10.5* and it keeps me in play more vs the low diving one I am sure would happen on a bad swing with a 9*.   /also keeps the spin in a healthier range.  

2.  people have too fast of a tempo/Transition... and this combo helps slow them down?

I have a very deliberate back swing.  one guy said when his swing is off, he thinks of me, lol  I said huh, never thought I'd ever be a swing aid, lol

given I have this type of tempo already I wonder if I will see any of the gains.

As mentioned above I am going from a 45" 50g shaft R flex (90ish mph swing speed) to a ladies flex 45g (uncut) shaft (going to try 46" at first).  Same loft 10.5.   

Just not sure what kind of gains I should even expect if any.  

1 hour ago, Artica said:

So, I dove head first into this. Bought a White Tie Matrix 45g A flex shaft on eBay. Added an adapter and went to range and played 9 holes. On the range, it was performing extremely well. Straight ball flight, somewhat high but penetrating versus rising from spin. The. I went out to the course and swing crashed, not equipment, but my swing. Tempo went to crap and I was so quick that the first was a major slice, second was a drop kick hook. Then 3rd and 4th were awesome. About 270+ each drive. I’m definitely intrigued but I do need to tinker with tempo to make it repeatable. Going to try and get indoors on a simulator today. More to come…

fyi - I play a TSi4 9* and standard shaft is a Ventus red 6x at 44.5”.

this test shaft is playing at 45” and about D2 swing weight. Again, Matrix white tie 45g A flex.

I think the smooth swing will help make an experiment like this more effective for you,  us goons who swing hard may have to change things up a little and swing smoother.

6 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I think the smooth swing will help make an experiment like this more effective for you,  us goons who swing hard may have to change things up a little and swing smoother.

wholeheartedly agree. Whereas I usually have a few mental Q's when swinging, with this setup I solely had to focus on tempo. 

M3 kuro kage XM 6s

g425 3w LST tour ad VR 6s

Baffler F6 5w evenflow red 7s

F7 OL 4i Steelfiber 110cw

Miura PP9005g 5-PW elevate tour

cleveland rtx 50* DG

Glide 3.0 eye 54* DG

Hi-toe 60* DG

I've been looking for more forgiving heads compared to my F9 and won a Radspeed XB on ebay with a Riptide CB 50 Regular shaft. Works out to ~17g lighter than the Stiff ATMOS TS Blue in my F9. Will weigh the heads when I have the new driver in hand to check for differences there (1-2g of lead tape on my F9). I assume it will come with a regular grip to shave another 7-10g versus the midsize I currently use. 

Total build could be 30g lighter and will be able to swap shafts between heads with cobra tips over the winter to compare launch numbers. Not a full OttO Phlex but should still be lighter/whippier in general to see if the trend works for me. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Played a new course yesterday and with the Garafalloy GWX.  Mountainbrook in Gold Canyon. Had a breakthrough front 9 and a heavy realization on the back 9. 

For starters, this course has EXTREMELY narrow fairways and just narrow holes all together. Most other courses I would have been just fine on a wavering tee shot.. this course will take your lunch money, eat your lunch, and pick your pockets if you're not careful. 

The front 9 I was lacing the fairways and hitting my GIR's with ease! Shot the lowest front 9 of my life with a 33/35. It didn't hurt that I made a couple lengthy putts for birdie. The back 9 however, was a totally different story. It took me about 9 holes to realize how well I was playing. The minute I started to think about shooting a par (or lower) round, the wheels immediately started to fall off. Sad to say that part of the back 9 downfall was due to some very poor drives. All of a sudden, the trajectory was low and I was hitting everything off the bottom. Had a few go OB both right and left. I will say though that if I were playing most any other course, I'd still be in play on those OB shots but the quality of shot just wasn't what I was coming to know. 

This goes to prove that Golf is a cruel 'B'. There's no piece of equipment that will magically fix a poor swing. Aid the improvement of maybe? Yes I do believe that. Although I ended on a low note, I shot a 76 which is decent on any day and I did drop an Eagle on the back 9 on a par 5 which I haven't done in years. The 1 decent drive I had on the back was smoked and then I put a really nice 5i within about 5' and made the putt. I honestly think that I was just getting TOO confident and my own subconcience just sucker punched me in the nuggets. 

I'm still fully all in on the OttoPhlex idea and don't see that changing. The benefits and results are just too overwhelmingly positive. Now it's a matter of determining which Garafalloy profile will be the ultimate OttoPhlex. I need to have a few more rounds with each. If things ever start to go sideways, I need to figure out how to use the characteristics of the setup to get me back on track. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

7 hours ago, erock9174 said:

I am still waiting on my experiment to show up. 

But after reading these testimonials...do you think part of the success is due to:

1.  people are playing too low of a spin setups for them?  I think with my +4-6* angle of attack, I could probably play a 9* driver.  but I don't...I play a 10.5* and it keeps me in play more vs the low diving one I am sure would happen on a bad swing with a 9*.   /also keeps the spin in a healthier range.  

2.  people have too fast of a tempo/Transition... and this combo helps slow them down?

I have a very deliberate back swing.  one guy said when his swing is off, he thinks of me, lol  I said huh, never thought I'd ever be a swing aid, lol

given I have this type of tempo already I wonder if I will see any of the gains.

As mentioned above I am going from a 45" 50g shaft R flex (90ish mph swing speed) to a ladies flex 45g (uncut) shaft (going to try 46" at first).  Same loft 10.5.   

Just not sure what kind of gains I should even expect if any.  

I suspect your smooth, slower back swing is going to help maximize any gains.  Tempo and not overswinging seem to be part of the secret to success with Otto.  Keep us posted and good luck.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

10 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Played a new course yesterday and with the Garafalloy GWX.  Mountainbrook in Gold Canyon. Had a breakthrough front 9 and a heavy realization on the back 9. 

For starters, this course has EXTREMELY narrow fairways and just narrow holes all together. Most other courses I would have been just fine on a wavering tee shot.. this course will take your lunch money, eat your lunch, and pick your pockets if you're not careful. 

The front 9 I was lacing the fairways and hitting my GIR's with ease! Shot the lowest front 9 of my life with a 33/35. It didn't hurt that I made a couple lengthy putts for birdie. The back 9 however, was a totally different story. It took me about 9 holes to realize how well I was playing. The minute I started to think about shooting a par (or lower) round, the wheels immediately started to fall off. Sad to say that part of the back 9 downfall was due to some very poor drives. All of a sudden, the trajectory was low and I was hitting everything off the bottom. Had a few go OB both right and left. I will say though that if I were playing most any other course, I'd still be in play on those OB shots but the quality of shot just wasn't what I was coming to know. 

This goes to prove that Golf is a cruel 'B'. There's no piece of equipment that will magically fix a poor swing. Aid the improvement of maybe? Yes I do believe that. Although I ended on a low note, I shot a 76 which is decent on any day and I did drop an Eagle on the back 9 on a par 5 which I haven't done in years. The 1 decent drive I had on the back was smoked and then I put a really nice 5i within about 5' and made the putt. I honestly think that I was just getting TOO confident and my own subconcience just sucker punched me in the nuggets. 

I'm still fully all in on the OttoPhlex idea and don't see that changing. The benefits and results are just too overwhelmingly positive. Now it's a matter of determining which Garafalloy profile will be the ultimate OttoPhlex. I need to have a few more rounds with each. If things ever start to go sideways, I need to figure out how to use the characteristics of the setup to get me back on track. 

Ahh yes, the "if I par the last two holes I'll end up with a xx!!"  Seems those demons come with every box of golf balls or something, they're everywhere.

Great round all in all, glad the driver is working for you.  Next up?  Same process with whatever fairway wood you're using.  The concept holds up at least that far into the bag.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 10/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, azstu324 said:

The same? no. Similar? I would venture to say so. Possibly better? Maybe.. From what I've gathered the tip section might actually be a little more active in the Garafalloy but the butt section a bit more stiff. I would say that it's probably closer to the Fuji Motore F3 in the videos. With an experiment like this I'd put a 75% comparable stamp on it. But I wouldn't count the 25% as a negative. Maybe different, possibly better.  

In case you missed my recent post, below is the separate weight of both the PXG 0311 and the shaft/grip/adapter. The shaft is cut so the driver plays at 45". I do have 10g weight that I swapped in for one of the 7.5g. While the G425 looks heavier, it looks like you might be able to negate the difference with the right grip or a counter weight plug or lead tape under the grip. If you wanted anything longer, you might need to look at other measures. 

Hopefully this was helpful. 

All that I can say is try it out. Before doing this, I would have turned my nose up to anything resembling a distant relative of the Autoflex. Assuming the results hold up, I'm seeing some of the most consistent drives probably ever and I've long since forgotten about my Fujikura MotoreX. From here forward it's OttoPhlex for life! 

1001221034.jpg.a02ff95e05c1e62231b1012c9f554b70.jpg

1001221034b.jpg.9479082b5189b4bb8a539b0bfeb1226e.jpg

I just pulled the trigger on the Grafalloy Senior flex- I ordered it from Golf Galaxy with some coupons. I’ll be putting the Ping adapter on and cut it to 45 inches. I may just try and play the 425 max without the back weight. Or I may order a lighter weight to keep the MOI higher and use a counter weight. I’ll post my experiences once I assemble it.

Is there a way to measure swing weight without a machine/mechanism designed for that purpose? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

18 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I've started using this calculator over my scale and find that if you do it correctly, it's maybe even more accurate than a full scale because there seems to be less eyeballing and fidgeting with the scale weight. You do need a food or light weight digital scale with grams.  The process might seem excessive but it's really using basic shop items to make the results very accurate and takes all of 60 seconds to complete the process. 

http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWEIGHT

Start by picking a balance reference that's flat.

1012221048.jpg.2e9493da6f0d98adccedea5abc4f58b4.jpg

You want to make sure to use something with somewhat of a point to balance the club on. I find that an extra shaft with the grip is very helpful. See how the shaft is perfectly aligned with the horizontal balance reference and the balance point shaft is perfectly vertical. 

Then you just mark the center of the balance with some masking tape. 

1012221114a.jpg.6f925e788853bc30f1cb0b494a73bc1f.jpg

Then measure from the butt end to the balance point. I like to convert the in to mm for the best accuracy. 

1012221116.jpg.d21dac11249232c0bc5c205dea23460f.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-111927.png.bf2375af138cf44e83a342d6c3b5e4f2.png

Then measure the total weight of the driver

1012221110.jpg.ded702242f3e0e653c2dc3c3197f81fe.jpg

Finally plug the #'s into the SW calc and see what comes out. In theis case, the SW is just a feather over D0

Screenshot_20221012-112224.png.b52f1bb5849bc657da8d9f1b9748e0f9.png

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for the instructions!!! 

14 minutes ago, BadgerRick said:

It may take me a few months to figure out how to do those calculations, but thanks for posting that!!

It looks more intimidating than it really is. But.. it wouldn't be a project of mine without some kind of over complication thrown in. 🤣

MAXFLI  Tour CG

27 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

It looks more intimidating than it really is. But.. it wouldn't be a project of mine without some kind of over complication thrown in. 🤣

This is great AZStu.  I'm going to run my TSi3 and TSR3 through the calculator tonight.  I'm still looking for a good soft senior or ladies flex to try out... preferably already titleist tipped... one will pop up on the used bin at my locals I'm sure.  Just curious to see what happens dropping down a few flexes.  I just received the TSR3 with a 10g heavier shaft than I was playing the TSi3, so I'm going the wrong direction for this thread... but first impressions are really good.  Hard to ignore your results though!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I've started using this calculator over my scale and find that if you do it correctly, it's maybe even more accurate than a full scale because there seems to be less eyeballing and fidgeting with the scale weight. You do need a food or light weight digital scale with grams.  The process might seem excessive but it's really using basic shop items to make the results very accurate and takes all of 60 seconds to complete the process. 

http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWEIGHT

Start by picking a balance reference that's flat.

1012221048.jpg.2e9493da6f0d98adccedea5abc4f58b4.jpg

You want to make sure to use something with somewhat of a point to balance the club on. I find that an extra shaft with the grip is very helpful. See how the shaft is perfectly aligned with the horizontal balance reference and the balance point shaft is perfectly vertical. 

Then you just mark the center of the balance with some masking tape. 

1012221114a.jpg.6f925e788853bc30f1cb0b494a73bc1f.jpg

Then measure from the butt end to the balance point. I like to convert the in to mm for the best accuracy. 

1012221116.jpg.d21dac11249232c0bc5c205dea23460f.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-111927.png.bf2375af138cf44e83a342d6c3b5e4f2.png

Then measure the total weight of the driver

1012221110.jpg.ded702242f3e0e653c2dc3c3197f81fe.jpg

Finally plug the #'s into the SW calc and see what comes out. In theis case, the SW is just a feather over D0

Screenshot_20221012-112224.png.b52f1bb5849bc657da8d9f1b9748e0f9.png

I've been using this method for a long time now, I couldn't afford the scale from Golfworks plus the shipping costs. I've checked on a friends scale and I've been spot on or I sw point off which I can live with, and my friend is annoyed that I was that close as he's a perfectionist lol and his calculations were out but I'm not telling him 🙄  

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

2 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

This is great AZStu.  I'm going to run my TSi3 and TSR3 through the calculator tonight.  I'm still looking for a good soft senior or ladies flex to try out... preferably already titleist tipped... one will pop up on the used bin at my locals I'm sure.  Just curious to see what happens dropping down a few flexes.  I just received the TSR3 with a 10g heavier shaft than I was playing the TSi3, so I'm going the wrong direction for this thread... but first impressions are really good.  Hard to ignore your results though!

Ok, not sure what this means yet... but measuring and weighing my existing Drivers as best I could - this is what I get:

TSi3 w/Tensei Blue 55 - fulcrum measurement 857.3 mm and 312 g for a D2 SW

TSR3 w/Tensie Blue 65 - fulcrum measurement 850.9 mm and 320 g for a D3 SW

Then I swapped out the shaft and put the lighter 55g shaft in the TSR3 - fulcrum measurement 869.9 and 313g for a D5 SW.

This will give me a good baseline when I experiment with softer flexes and lighter weight shafts.  Expected is the increase in swing weight with the lighter shaft in the head that was weighted for a heavier shaft... so I'll need to get creative with head weight and counter weight once I find a lighter test shaft.  

Cool stuff!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Ok, not sure what this means yet... but measuring and weighing my existing Drivers as best I could - this is what I get:

TSi3 w/Tensei Blue 55 - fulcrum measurement 857.3 mm and 312 g for a D2 SW

TSR3 w/Tensie Blue 65 - fulcrum measurement 850.9 mm and 320 g for a D3 SW

Then I swapped out the shaft and put the lighter 55g shaft in the TSR3 - fulcrum measurement 869.9 and 313g for a D5 SW.

This will give me a good baseline when I experiment with softer flexes and lighter weight shafts.  Expected is the increase in swing weight with the lighter shaft in the head that was weighted for a heavier shaft... so I'll need to get creative with head weight and counter weight once I find a lighter test shaft.  

Cool stuff!!

I got confused with with the huge 869 balance fulcrum measurements because the swingweight fulcrum is in inches, so I kept to inches just easier...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Quick follow up: went indoors today to try the setup and have an opportunity to measure numbers. I am a high spin player, don’t know if I hit down or flip by for whatever reason my normal spin #’s with the driver are normally between 2900-3400. I’m a 250-260 carry but with a HC of 11 every 3rd or 4th shot is a delete. 

with this setup, I surprisingly had lower spin #’s between 2,500 - 3,000. Had a few at 2,200. I hit a lot of balls and by far had far better consistency with the setup. And while spin was down, yes it felt easier for me to get 270ish I never got passed it. 

current conclusion is this is better for me, but still need to test. I’m playing 18 tomorrow so very excited to take this setup out again. More to come from me…

M3 kuro kage XM 6s

cleveland rtx 50* DG

Glide 3.0 eye 54* DG

Hi-toe 60* DG

18 minutes ago, Artica said:

Quick follow up: went indoors today to try the setup and have an opportunity to measure numbers. I am a high spin player, don’t know if I hit down or flip by for whatever reason my normal spin #’s with the driver are normally between 2900-3400. I’m a 250-260 carry but with a HC of 11 every 3rd or 4th shot is a delete. 

with this setup, I surprisingly had lower spin #’s between 2,500 - 3,000. Had a few at 2,200. I hit a lot of balls and by far had far better consistency with the setup. And while spin was down, yes it felt easier for me to get 270ish I never got passed it. 

current conclusion is this is better for me, but still need to test. I’m playing 18 tomorrow so very excited to take this setup out again. More to come from me…

Great update! Looks like things are moving in the right direction for you with this setup. 

Are you able to see your static loft/launch with your normal setup? My guess is that it's probably quite low.. maybe even negative? This setup should should present a more lofted face at impact and help reduce spin some. This is all hunch and I could miles off. Either way this is great news! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

15 minutes ago, gzman1 said:

Golf galaxy was about 95 for the GPBL set up in the A 45 flex, Anyone got a source/ling for a (USA) Reg45 GPBL cheaper than that? tia Derek

10 pages is alot to read through

Not sure if this helps any or if it even answers your request 

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/grafalloy-prolaunch-blue-45335-graphite-wood-shaft-19gfyuprlnchbl45rshf/19gfyuprlnchbl45rshf

Hireko is another option. Not really sure if you're going to find anything much cheaper 

https://www.hirekogolf.com/grafalloy-prolaunch-blue-45-graphite-2019.html

MAXFLI  Tour CG

29 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Great update! Looks like things are moving in the right direction for you with this setup. 

Are you able to see your static loft/launch with your normal setup? My guess is that it's probably quite low.. maybe even negative? This setup should should present a more lofted face at impact and help reduce spin some. This is all hunch and I could miles off. Either way this is great news! 

I cannot, we use a uneekor which doesn’t read loft or angle of attack which I badly need lol

M3 kuro kage XM 6s

cleveland rtx 50* DG

Glide 3.0 eye 54* DG

Hi-toe 60* DG

OTTO PHLEX - More data to throw out there.  I play a tensei blue 55 stiff as my gamer with a Ping g425 MAX head in 10.5.  My swing speed is roughly 97-104mph on the good ones.

I am a bit of a low ball hitter and typically average around 235-245 carry on good drives.  Ball Speed is usually around 145-146mph on those.  I load my swing slowly going back and then release it.  I am only 143 pounds soaking wet and 5'11.    I have a very hard time getting any type of launch monitor to give me full credit on drives.  What I mean is that I usually see 206-220 carry in a lunch monitor and feel I need to really go at it to get my normal distance like outside.  I might hit 30 balls in the simulator at PGASS and 4 of them will be what I feel is realistic, the other 26 or more the 206-220 B.S. because of the lower launch I have where a simulator likes a higher launch most likely.       I decided to try the PROLAUNCH A Shaft in 45 g.   I glued it up last night and then said lets see how she looks with my rapsodo launch monitor in my net.   FOLKS we could have something here.  The rapsodo was showing consistent carry of 240+ on consecutive balls.   avg was around 245 carry and 265 total.  Ball speeds were 150-154mph 🙂   The rapsodo is pretty legit but I will go do some more testing against the tensei w trackman and report back.    This is pretty legit and worth a the price of the shaft and adapter to test.  BTW I am playing it at 46" length total.

Edited by 2puttbird

29 minutes ago, 2puttbird said:

OTTO PHLEX - More data to throw out there.  I play a tensei blue 55 stiff as my gamer with a Ping g425 MAX head in 10.5.  My swing speed is roughly 97-104mph on the good ones.

I am a bit of a low ball hitter and typically average around 235-245 carry on good drives.  Ball Speed is usually around 145-146mph on those.  I load my swing slowly going back and then release it.  I am only 143 pounds soaking wet and 5'11.    I have a very hard time getting any type of launch monitor to give me full credit on drives.  What I mean is that I usually see 206-220 carry in a lunch monitor and feel I need to really go at it to get my normal distance like outside.  I might hit 30 balls in the simulator at PGASS and 4 of them will be what I feel is realistic, the other 26 or more the 206-220 B.S. because of the lower launch I have where a simulator likes a higher launch most likely.       I decided to try the PROLAUNCH A Shaft in 45 g.   I glued it up last night and then said lets see how she looks with my rapsodo launch monitor in my net.   FOLKS we could have something here.  The rapsodo was showing consistent carry of 240+ on consecutive balls.   avg was around 245 carry and 265 total.  Ball speeds were 150-154mph 🙂   The rapsodo is pretty legit but I will go do some more testing against the tensei w trackman and report back.    This is pretty legit and worth a the price of the shaft and adapter to test.  BTW I am playing it at 46" length total.

Love it! Great start so far! 

I'll be the first.. (well I'm sure others have come before me) to call out the vast inconsistencies of the PGATSS overhead hitting bay monitors. Quite frankly they're shite. They're outdated tech and require constant recalibration that PGATSS just won't pay to have done. I've gotten to know the guys pretty well at mine and they've spilled the beans on those setups. Whenever I go, I request to use the GC2 floor monitors that they typically reserve for sales or fittings with the foresight program. Even still, those are outdated tech but night and day better than the overheads. 

What I've found in the overheads is that spin is about 1k-1500+ RPM higher than actual which throws everything else out of whack. Depending on the store, you should be able to sweet talk them into setting you up on a GC2 if they're slow. You can also use your own ball which will give a more realistic ball speed. The overheads require a marked ball that's kind of a glorified range ball so just not optimal. If you can "make a friend", you might be able to get on the GC4 which I believe every store has 1. Sometimes I tell them that I'm doing some "very important testing" and they hook up the big dog for 30 min or so. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I may have to partially retract my statement about the Garafalloy GWX. After my round on Monday where the wheels fell off on the back 9, I haven't been able to stop thinking about how I let the chance to shoot par slip through my fingers. 

After 2 hours of back and forth on the launch monitors and about 50 swings per shaft, I'm really thinking that the PLB might be the one. 

Keep in mind that spin on these monitors is about 800 RPM higher than the actual spin. The GC2's weren't available tonight so I had to use the overheads. 

What I found out after a bunch of swings with both is that while the GWX feels a little smoother, it doesn't load nearly as easily as the PLB. With the extra 10g it's almost as if the head can get a little lost. I know that 1 SW point can seem negligible but I think with these lighter shafts it can make more of a difference. The 52g shaft might need a D1 or 2. 

The PLB however never gets lost. It loads so easily and just releases the same. I kept seeing more low face, high spin, knuckle balls with the GWX where the PLB just seems to be an efficiency machine. More often I was finding the center of the face and misshits seemed to be minimally punished. I really think it had to do with being able to feel and control the face better through the swing. I was very surprised to see the lower spin from the PLB. 

GWX

1013221920_HDR.jpg.44f1feb5d3faec9e7c3cc7bdabe91741.jpg

PLB

1013221903_HDR.jpg.f239089d1e2856864d0b8244909c024e.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

The Pro Launch Blue has been a design that seems to stand the test of time.  Sometimes "new and improved" simply turns out to be "new"...

Those are still impressive numbers to me, well done.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

19 hours ago, 2puttbird said:

I am a bit of a low ball hitter and typically average around 235-245 carry on good drives.  Ball Speed is usually around 145-146mph on those.  I load my swing slowly going back and then release it.  I am only 143 pounds soaking wet and 5'11.    I have a very hard time getting any type of launch monitor to give me full credit on drives.  What I mean is that I usually see 206-220 carry in a lunch monitor and feel I need to really go at it to get my normal distance like outside.  I might hit 30 balls in the simulator at PGASS and 4 of them will be what I feel is realistic, the other 26 or more the 206-220 B.S. because of the lower launch I have where a simulator likes a higher launch most likely.       I decided to try the PROLAUNCH A Shaft in 45 g.   I glued it up last night and then said let’s see how she looks with my rapsodo launch monitor in my net.   FOLKS we could have something here.  The rapsodo was showing consistent carry of 240+ on consecutive balls.   avg was around 245 carry and 265 total.  Ball speeds were 150-154mph 🙂   The rapsodo is pretty legit but I will go do some more testing against the tensei w trackman and report back.    This is pretty legit and worth a the price of the shaft and adapter to test.  BTW I am playing it at 46" length total.

Glad to hear you're having success because I’m in the process of setting the same combo up. Did you play the G425 with the standard back weight? 
Were you able to measure the swing weight? Any info would be helpful. 
I’m thinking of cutting mine down to 45, as I’ve always choked down on a 45 inch driver- I don’t think I would make solid contact at 46. 
Thanks 

Yes standard back weight at neutral.  The tensei blue stiff was 55g   I did not get it weighed yet with the shaft change.  I went with the 46" as a starting point based on the other gents post that said he was comfortable at 45".   He hits it further than me and made me say to myself, ill start with the 46" under the premise of more length = more speed.  I also pictured the flex of the graffaloy getting a bit stiffer and potentially limiting the kick and effecting the true science of the AFLEX secret sauce.    The other reason I wanted to not mess with the weight yet was the old 45g weight shaft experiment.  B SNEDS on tour also plays a 45g shaft I had heard.   Funny you mentioned it because in all of my excitement yesterday with the numbers, I really didn't think to myself this is very light.  I did add a winn medium dritac 2.0 and have the standard 2.0  on my tensei???  Winn says there is a 3g difference.  So I offset it a little.     I would say try the 46" to start and see,  you can always cut down, and you may see some differences worth sticking to it.  Today I am heading to a trackman with both shafts and will be excited to post the number for everyone. 

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I may have to partially retract my statement about the Garafalloy GWX. After my round on Monday where the wheels fell off on the back 9, I haven't been able to stop thinking about how I let the chance to shoot par slip through my fingers. 

After 2 hours of back and forth on the launch monitors and about 50 swings per shaft, I'm really thinking that the PLB might be the one. 

Keep in mind that spin on these monitors is about 800 RPM higher than the actual spin. The GC2's weren't available tonight so I had to use the overheads. 

What I found out after a bunch of swings with both is that while the GWX feels a little smoother, it doesn't load nearly as easily as the PLB. With the extra 10g it's almost as if the head can get a little lost. I know that 1 SW point can seem negligible but I think with these lighter shafts it can make more of a difference. The 52g shaft might need a D1 or 2. 

The PLB however never gets lost. It loads so easily and just releases the same. I kept seeing more low face, high spin, knuckle balls with the GWX where the PLB just seems to be an efficiency machine. More often I was finding the center of the face and misshits seemed to be minimally punished. I really think it had to do with being able to feel and control the face better through the swing. I was very surprised to see the lower spin from the PLB. 

GWX

1013221920_HDR.jpg.44f1feb5d3faec9e7c3cc7bdabe91741.jpg

PLB

1013221903_HDR.jpg.f239089d1e2856864d0b8244909c024e.jpg

Another note I'll add is that the GWX does appear to be a great candidate for my 3 wood.. TBC

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Chiming in from Norway.
Hireko also has a SW calc I have been using: 
https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-clubfitting-assembled-swingweight-calculator

Just bought the PLB in A and L flex cheap from a local online store. Going to try them in 47 inches and removing weight from the head first.

The indoor season has started here so I have a few months tinkering with this.