TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

42 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Looking fwd to seeing your results, good luck...

And welcome to the brotherhood

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-head-smack.gif.2c4d7fa1c5ddd714adf1849a008c5937.gif

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

59 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

And welcome to the brotherhood

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-head-smack.gif.2c4d7fa1c5ddd714adf1849a008c5937.gif

Thanks, I’m abit concerned about the initiation ceremony maybe I won’t meet the “minimum size and speed”

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

7 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Thanks, I’m abit concerned about the initiation ceremony maybe I won’t meet the “minimum size and speed”

If you're over 4 feet tall, weigh over 85 pounds, and have at least a size 3 shoe you've passed the first set of criteria.

If you can pick up a golf club and swing it at a speed of at least 45 miles per hour you've passed the second set of criteria.

Most importantly is the criteria that you be willing to completely leave your traditional comfort zone and try an experiment or two that would have you immediately labeled as "out of your mind" to see what happens.  The good news is that these experiments do not involve gunpowder, hard to pronounce chemicals, or extended exposure to large open flame.

The final criteria?  IF you decide to reside in the land of Otto Phlex for one or more of your golf clubs it's imperative that you wait for the folks you play with to ask "what the heck have you done??" in relation to your increased distance, reduced dispersion, etc. before letting them in on your membership in Club O-PH.  Then and only then are you to direct them to this thread, wherever in the archive it might be, with strict instructions they should start with Post 1.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, Bobbers said:

The good news is that these experiments do not involve gunpowder, hard to pronounce chemicals, or extended exposure to large open flame.

Soo.. where can I find these experiments?..🤪

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 11/23/2022 at 3:55 PM, azstu324 said:

Sweetness! 

Remind us which 2 you ended up with and what they're being compared against. 

I have the standard Fubuki ZT 60 blah blah blah and I got a kuro kage black 50 reg as my Otto Phlex, then the other was one that I feel is more suited to me which is a Fujikura Speeder Pro 74 stiff.

I hit say 20 balls with each and my initial impressions were as follows. 

Both very straight (the Speed pro is CB ish) and I didn't have my big right hook miss with either. I had the Tsi3 set up in B2 which is 1 up (playing 10*) and fade, weight neutral. The flight though was where I saw a huge different. The Kuro Kage is simply so much higher. Like 20 feet difference on impression. Just an entirely different window and didn't feel whippy at all either. Definitely felt more head weight as it isn't a CB shaft, but good. Ball speeds were similar. Again this was just initial and the numbers I got were preliminary. Nothing concrete. I am hoping to get to the range tomorrow and get a better set of data for everyone between these two. It is clear that the Fubuki isn't quite for me. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Soo.. where can I find these experiments?..🤪

6 hours ago, Bobbers said:

If you're over 4 feet tall, weigh over 85 pounds, and have at least a size 3 shoe you've passed the first set of criteria.

If you can pick up a golf club and swing it at a speed of at least 45 miles per hour you've passed the second set of criteria.

Most importantly is the criteria that you be willing to completely leave your traditional comfort zone and try an experiment or two that would have you immediately labeled as "out of your mind" to see what happens.  The good news is that these experiments do not involve gunpowder, hard to pronounce chemicals, or extended exposure to large open flame.

The final criteria?  IF you decide to reside in the land of Otto Phlex for one or more of your golf clubs it's imperative that you wait for the folks you play with to ask "what the heck have you done??" in relation to your increased distance, reduced dispersion, etc. before letting them in on your membership in Club O-PH.  Then and only then are you to direct them to this thread, wherever in the archive it might be, with strict instructions they should start with Post 1.

Sigh guess I have to commit "hari Kari" if I want acceptance and I do as I'm greedy and needy so my Wife says plus I'm already out of my mind well so I've been told, I'm hoping that gets me the Privileged membership of "Club O-PH" 

@Bobbers I'm so grateful you've chosen me for this great honor before the rest of the riff raff..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

So odd question, and just a very random thought .. speaking of irons....

Has anyone ever tried - err ahh *experimented* 😉 with - playing a slightly lighter weight shaft in their longer irons..?

...eg. say your iron set has 100g shafts, your next club up (hybrid or fairway) is say 70g .. so would it be silly to try say 85g shafts in the longest irons in your set...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

17 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Has anyone ever tried - err ahh *experimented* 😉 with - playing a slightly lighter weight shaft in their longer irons..?

...eg. say your iron set has 100g shafts, your next club up (hybrid or fairway) is say 70g .. so would it be silly to try say 85g shafts in the longest irons in your set...

I'm hoping it gets above 40 here today in which case I'll be testing the concept in a 7 and 8 iron and we can go from there.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I'm hoping it gets above 40 here today in which case I'll be testing the concept in a 7 and 8 iron and we can go from there.

But it is .. 😈

Screenshot_20221125-112508.png.b7e988b4fdf9f3724a51d67d7df2f790.png

MAXFLI  Tour CG

5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

But it is .. 😈

Screenshot_20221125-112508.png.b7e988b4fdf9f3724a51d67d7df2f790.png

Sure, rub it in, rub it in.  We might see that temperature sometime next April...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

And now it is finally here…

14618DDE-6704-4F38-92E8-1A28AC8A376C.jpeg

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

50 minutes ago, vandyland said:

And now it is finally here…

14618DDE-6704-4F38-92E8-1A28AC8A376C.jpeg

Let the games begin!

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

K fwiw I'm totally sold on lighter-flexier!!

..have struggled with driver for years and didn't even carry one .. used an aging Bertha Mini 1.5 = a large head / deep face 3W for my tee club...

..been taking my wife's old Amp Cell (pink 😄 lol) driver to the range and .. combined with lessons and full swing practice .. am (finally.....) starting to send balls downrange with it! 

Looking forward to next season and getting my GPLB dialed in 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

6 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

..have struggled with driver for years and didn't even carry one .. used an aging Bertha Mini 1.5 = a large head / deep face 3W for my tee club...

..been taking my wife's old Amp Cell (pink 😄 lol) driver to the range and .. combined with lessons and full swing practice .. am (finally.....) starting to send balls downrange with it! 

Outstanding!

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Pink huh hmmm...

Ok so first 18 holes was not terrible but not an improvement over current setup. Hit almost every tee shot high and right. Just didn’t feel like I could turn the ball over at all which is odd because the helium shaft in senior flex felt easy to turn over. Maybe it was just a bad day swinging but I wasn’t losing my irons or anything else right. Will have to take it to the range and see what we can figure out.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

44 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Ok so first 18 holes was not terrible but not an improvement over current setup. Hit almost every tee shot high and right. Just didn’t feel like I could turn the ball over at all which is odd because the helium shaft in senior flex felt easy to turn over. Maybe it was just a bad day swinging but I wasn’t losing my irons or anything else right. Will have to take it to the range and see what we can figure out.

One thing that a lot of us have noticed is how this setup really promotes a tempo check . Not to say that's your issue but I really need to stay mindful not to swing too aggressively. This shaft set-up will definitely call me to repentance if I start to get too impatient but that's a good reminder that I can quickly adjust for during a round. The shaft is doing a lot more of the work so just don't get over zealous or the face could hold open a tad longer. That said, with the correct sequencing, I've gotten my club head speed up to 116 and kept complete control of my shot. I felt like I was putting a full bore swing on the club BUT was much better sequenced and connected in my swing if that makes sense. So it's not that the shaft can't handle it is what I'm getting at😁

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Ok, it got up to 48, bit breezy but I just had to get to the range for perhaps the last time this year.

Three things to test:  PXG 3 and 5 woods with ProLaunch Blue L flex shafts, PXG 6 and 7 hybrids with Bassara W series L flex shafts, and 7 and 8 irons in L flex from an Adams Idea V4 women's set of irons I snagged for cheap.

Started with the irons.  Nice, high flight and I could NOT, for the life of me, get them to do anything but fly straight.  Hard to judge any distance gains as I've never hit these irons in my life.  I will, over the winter, be looking for a couple of Recoil shafts in L flex to try in my regular irons.  Yeah, I was impressed overall, with the O-PH concept even into the irons.

Next up were the fairway woods with the ProLaunch Blue L flex shafts.  Wonderful height, nice straight flight, probably gave me 10-15 yards more distance even with the range rock golf balls and the weather.  I have no doubt that next spring will see me off to a fast start knowing I can count on these.  My only decision might be moving to a 5 wood/7wood combination given the added distance I'm seeing.

Hybrids were the third in line for testing.  I realize, slow swinger that I am, that many of you will have trouble relating to having a 6 and 7 hybrid in the bag rather than a 6 and 7 iron.  Nevertheless, added height, probably a 5% increase in distance.  Biggest advantage, again speaking only for myself, is I'll be able to hit shots with a much better chance of "sticking" than was possible with the lower trajectory.

I'm not suggesting or recommending applying the O-PH concept throughout the bag for everyone.  I, as an older, slower swing speed, distance challenged golfer however, am going to see a LOT of benefit from the concept.

Tip of the hat to azstu for starting this madness.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Been lurking since this thread began and finally had to dive in. Ordered a PLB in senior flex for my LTDx to see how it goes. I've previously played an Autoflex in a B21 and I have a smooth tempo, so this feels like it should be right up my alley. Going to start at 46" and go from there. Just wish the weather was nicer so I could get out and hit it once it arrives. 

Has anyone else used an LTDx? Curious if I'll need to add/subtract weight to get the SW down.

1 hour ago, Tywithay said:

Been lurking since this thread began and finally had to dive in. Ordered a PLB in senior flex for my LTDx to see how it goes. I've previously played an Autoflex in a B21 and I have a smooth tempo, so this feels like it should be right up my alley. Going to start at 46" and go from there. Just wish the weather was nicer so I could get out and hit it once it arrives. 

Has anyone else used an LTDx? Curious if I'll need to add/subtract weight to get the SW down.

YES!! Finally! 😜 You're the guy that I was hoping this proverbial bat signal would make its way to. Someone who's had experience with a real life Autoflex and could let us know how close or far off we are. Honestly even if it's nothing like the Autoflex it wouldn't really change my opinion of the PLB but it would be fun to know if we're even in the same ballpark. 

Can't wait to hear about your experience! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Played over the weekend, and decided to try the Ottoflex Grafalloy PLB in my Epic Speed LS again. At the range, there's a fence around 260 yards away, and has to be around 70 feet high I'm guessing. Usually when I hit my driver, I hit high up on the net, but rarely go over. There's a green a bit behind the net, and never really worry about hitting them. Well, after getting lathered up a bit, I kept hitting driver after drive over the fence, and when there was a group on the green, they turned and waved their arms, so I stopped. Used it for a few drives during the round, but I'm so consistent with my Mini300 driver that it's hard to tee off with anything else unless it's really wide open. Such a weird feeling to go back and forth between the two clubs.

On 11/18/2022 at 3:51 PM, azstu324 said:

I hate to break it to you, but you might need to find a 9° head and crank it down to 7 or 8°. You should definitely look into that next time you're at the store. 

I played a 10.5° Mizuno last year. This year I took a gamble on a 9.5° and it paid off when I jumped into this experiment. 

This is what I have been keeping an eye on. My Epic Flash has been dialed from 10.5 to 9.5 since long before this experiment.  Anyone have good recommendations on where to find used heads? Guy on FB Marketplace was trying to overcharge for an old PXG because he had an "upcharge" shaft in it.

Edited by carter18

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

7 minutes ago, carter18 said:

This is what I have been keeping an eye on. My Epic Flash has been dialed from 10.5 to 9 since long before this experiment.  Anyone have good recommendations on where to find used head only clubs? 

I've bought all mine on eBay as there by far the cheapest in New Zealand, we don't have enough golfers to get a used golf clubs shop here...

1 hour ago, carter18 said:

This is what I have been keeping an eye on. My Epic Flash has been dialed from 10.5 to 9.5 since long before this experiment.  Anyone have good recommendations on where to find used heads? Guy on FB Marketplace was trying to overcharge for an old PXG because he had an "upcharge" shaft in it.

I hope I can convey this accurately so bear with me.  The standard adapter for the Callaway allows you to drop down one degree or go up two degrees.

If you'll buy an adapter suitable for a left hander you'll be able to go "up" one degree and "down" 2 degrees for the cost of an adapter.

Just remember that everything you do with the LH adapter is reversed.  So +1 is actually going DOWN one degree, etc.

It's a convenient hack.

Also, if you check with Billy Bob's golf they may have an adapter that goes up OR down 2 degrees for your Callaway.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 11/27/2022 at 2:55 PM, Tywithay said:

I believe the typical head weight in the LTDx is 10 grams.  I'd be looking for a 6 gram and a 4 gram to have on hand when the shaft arrives.  Please keep in mind that D0-D1 swing weight "trumps" length.  So if you end up at 45 1/2 inches at D0?  Go with that rather than D3.5 at a full 46 inches.  I'm assuming your Autoflex shafted driver is in that sweet spot currently?

Are you going to be doing the work or having it done?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 11/25/2022 at 8:48 AM, cksurfdude said:

The whole dynamic gold AMT (ascending mass technology) is based on this. Not crazy at all. I switched my “4 iron” from a Mizuno M18 MMC Fli-hi with a modus 105x (113g I think) to a TM GAPR lo 4 utility with a kbs hybrid shaft to gap that distance better between my 5 iron (also a fli-hi) and next club. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

3 wood - Mizuno 15 deg (@14) ST200 - Tensei Blue X flex

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

5 iron -  Mp18 MMC Fli Hi - Modus 105x - 7 iron length

Irons - (PW - 6) JPX 900 tour - Modus 105x (6 iron is 7 iron length) 

Wedges (50,55) - Vokey SM7

Wedge (60) Callaway PM Grind        

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

30 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I hope I can convey this accurately so bear with me.  The standard adapter for the Callaway allows you to drop down one degree or go up two degrees.

If you'll buy an adapter suitable for a left hander you'll be able to go "up" one degree and "down" 2 degrees for the cost of an adapter.

Just remember that everything you do with the LH adapter is reversed.  So +1 is actually going DOWN one degree, etc.

It's a convenient hack.

Also, if you check with Billy Bob's golf they may have an adapter that goes up OR down 2 degrees for your Callaway.

Thanks sir! That’s an excellent idea I’d never have thought of. Much cheaper way to continue testing. 

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

5 minutes ago, carter18 said:

Thanks sir! That’s an excellent idea I’d never have thought of. Much cheaper way to continue testing. 

That's the joy of shared experience in my opinion.  Together we accomplish a helluva lot more than we do by groping around individually.  I'm glad you found it useful.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

31 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I believe the typical head weight in the LTDx is 10 grams.  I'd be looking for a 6 gram and a 4 gram to have on hand when the shaft arrives.  Please keep in mind that D0-D1 swing weight "trumps" length.  So if you end up at 45 1/2 inches at D0?  Go with that rather than D3.5 at a full 46 inches.  I'm assuming your Autoflex shafted driver is in that sweet spot currently?

Are you going to be doing the work or having it done?

My autoflex plays at D1.5 at 46". Had to swap a 3g weight into the B21. I'm ordering the shaft already built to play as is at 46", but any tinkering I'll do myself.