Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

8 hours ago, Bang60 said:

One thing I'm 100% positively certain of is when using a lady's 40gram shaft that "LOW loft" is key, I played with a visitor to my club and he let me hit one drive with his 12deg 50gram driver lady flex shaft that went straight up with distance of 120 metres. I've now got a pinched nerve behind my left shoulder that's killing me even though I'm taking ibuprofen and paracetamol. I'm not sure when I'll be ready to hit balls again as it's extreme paid when I turn to the right...

I hope you feel better and soon, my friend.  I myself find it as frustrating as all get out when I'm on the sidelines during our golf season for any reason.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

16 hours ago, Bobbers said:

My hope, and I know I speak only for myself, is that any effort in this area would include some of us in the 70-80 mph driver swing speed.  Age is a "******" but it does eventually get us all if we're lucky enough to hang around.

I read a LOT of what gets posted here and on other sites.  I have a hard time finding anyone, regardless of age/handicap that doesn't have "an average drive for me is 220-240" on up to "my typical drive in the 295+ carry range".  Hard to express how disheartening that is.  You'll note in earlier posts how pleased I am that the O-PH concept gets me around 175-180 yards; up from 160-165...

But when I look at the "retro" videos that compare an older driver with it's new counterpart I see numbers for the "slow swing speed/below 90 mph" showing that even with the new driver the average drive is in the 180 yard range.

Nope, you speak for at least for me also Bobbers.  Lower 80's swing speed, 200 avg drive, (on a good day.).

Still great fun following this article.  Dove down this rabbit hole months ago.  My swing is way less than ideal so have not experienced the results of others.  Haven't given up on OP, just taking a few steps back to see if I can develope a litte rhythm, (key the music.)

1 minute ago, Gemba2 said:

Nope, you speak for at least for me also Bobbers.  Lower 80's swing speed, 200 avg drive, (on a good day.).

Still great fun following this article.  Dove down this rabbit hole months ago.  My swing is way less than ideal so have not experienced the results of others.  Haven't given up on OP, just taking a few steps back to see if I can develope a litte rhythm, (key the music.)

I’m also following this thread and have changed Driver and hybrid with no difference.  Still a work in progress.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

18 hours ago, Bobbers said:

My hope, and I know I speak only for myself, is that any effort in this area would include some of us in the 70-80 mph driver swing speed.  Age is a "******" but it does eventually get us all if we're lucky enough to hang around.

I read a LOT of what gets posted here and on other sites.  I have a hard time finding anyone, regardless of age/handicap that doesn't have "an average drive for me is 220-240" on up to "my typical drive in the 295+ carry range".  Hard to express how disheartening that is.  You'll note in earlier posts how pleased I am that the O-PH concept gets me around 175-180 yards; up from 160-165...

But when I look at the "retro" videos that compare an older driver with it's new counterpart I see numbers for the "slow swing speed/below 90 mph" showing that even with the new driver the average drive is in the 180 yard range.

My dad is in the same speed range, had him try my PLB shaft in my old g400 head, set to 11,5 degrees. He got at least a 15 yard increase in carry. He was so happy with the results that he ordered one right away. Will first try it in his GBB Epic head, will be interesting to see if the gain holds up with that.

I wanted to get out for a few more sessions to do some trial and error, however with colder temps, sick wife, sick baby, work, dogs, mgs and now travel then christmas and more work looks like January I'll be back on it! Thankfully courses are open year round so I'll still be able to get some time in, but won't be for likely another month until I swing a club again. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Well folks, you will benefit from my mistake. I was taking an adapter off an Evenflow Senio 40 gram shaft and a melted the tip. Doesn’t seem to be damaged an inch up so I tipped it an inch. I’ll report back what that does to our Otto Phlex journey. Maybe my anger/frustration with my impatience (not enough heat when I made the first twist) will turn into something great. We’ll see. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

47 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I wanted to get out for a few more sessions to do some trial and error, however with colder temps, sick wife, sick baby, work, dogs, mgs and now travel then christmas and more work looks like January I'll be back on it! Thankfully courses are open year round so I'll still be able to get some time in, but won't be for likely another month until I swing a club again. 

Man that's a full plate. Take care of that fam! Golf.. and MGS will always be here. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I hope you feel better and soon, my friend.  I myself find it as frustrating as all get out when I'm on the sidelines during our golf season for any reason.

Hey @Bobbers appreciate your kind words my friend, I don't deal well with my body letting me down at all lol. I started yesterday on Magnesium Citrate a friend recommends and found good feedback online, have to say it's taken the edge off so hoping I'm back real soon.

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

1 hour ago, DukeStKing said:

Well folks, you will benefit from my mistake. I was taking an adapter off an Evenflow Senio 40 gram shaft and a melted the tip. Doesn’t seem to be damaged an inch up so I tipped it an inch. I’ll report back what that does to our Otto Phlex journey. Maybe my anger/frustration with my impatience (not enough heat when I made the first twist) will turn into something great. We’ll see. 

Ahhh graphite don't like the twist mate, I learnt that the hard way just as you've done lol...

This is my shafts extraction tool that works like a charm, plus it's so cheap and using the F clamp I used it on the Dinner table but don't tell Wifey...

IMG_20220921_085312.png

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

You got more issues than a one arm paperhanger, but sick family comes first take care...

Coming from Sub70 659 Combo with KBS 130x - just went to the range and tried out my new Honma TW-X irons with graphite Vizard 85g Reg. 
Oh man these babies are stupid good. Feel is amazing, forgiving, and looooong. The lighter, softer shafts didn’t feel too whippy. As long as I kept a smooth tempo going these things were buttoned, and flew forever- like it kicked into another gear mid flight with a nice little draw. Something I couldn’t really get with the KBS xstiff. Only when I got aggressive and quick did I fan a couple out left with a slice, and I could definitely feel the club head left open. I’m going to take them out Tuesday for my round with my weekly group on my Birthday and we’ll see how they are on the course. Will have to get used to being about a club longer in distance, but I was landing the pitching wedge in the same spot every time. So far so money. 

E651C383-CDC0-4697-B5E6-5C89231458B4.jpeg

6B15EC6A-2CBD-42F8-8AD7-3C28B6EF0C4F.jpeg

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Take good care, the thread will undoubtedly be here and active when your time permits.  Best wishes for health for you and your whole family.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

54 minutes ago, FLefty18 said:

Coming from Sub70 659 Combo with KBS 130x - just went to the range and tried out my new Honma TW-X irons with graphite Vizard 85g Reg. 
Oh man these babies are stupid good. Feel is amazing, forgiving, and looooong. The lighter, softer shafts didn’t feel too whippy. As long as I kept a smooth tempo going these things were buttoned, and flew forever- like it kicked into another gear mid flight with a nice little draw. Something I couldn’t really get with the KBS xstiff. Only when I got aggressive and quick did I fan a couple out left with a slice, and I could definitely feel the club head left open. I’m going to take them out Tuesday for my round with my weekly group on my Birthday and we’ll see how they are on the course. Will have to get used to being about a club longer in distance, but I was landing the pitching wedge in the same spot every time. So far so money. 

Happy almost birthday.  LOVE the "F Bomb" putter cover, where'd it come from?  And please keep us posted on your round with the new sticks.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

58 minutes ago, FLefty18 said:

This is awesome feedback! I'm on the fence about going to Reg flex with this MGS Nippon shaft test but I think this might just nudge me in that direction. I've been playing S++ in a pretty mid flight "flighted" set i.e. lower flying short irons, higher long irons, etc. I'm going to go to PGATSS this weekend and do a "mock" setup with both the R and S to see which one plays better. I'm really hoping the R flex does well soni can cross-pollinate the Nippon testing thread with the OttoPhlex thread. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

This is awesome feedback! I'm on the fence about going to Reg flex with this MGS Nippon shaft test but I think this might just nudge me in that direction. I've been playing S++ in a pretty mid flight "flighted" set i.e. lower flying short irons, higher long irons, etc. I'm going to go to PGATSS this weekend and do a "mock" setup with both the R and S to see which one plays better. I'm really hoping the R flex does well soni can cross-pollinate the Nippon testing thread with the OttoPhlex thread. 

My guess is if you keep the same tempo as with the driver you'll be pleasantly shocked at what the R flex does for you.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Use the lowest loft setting, that's getting good results too from many. Let's know what works for you?

Had a good day on the course today with Grafalloy Pro Launch today. Drives were mostly straight and hit a few bombs. It was about 40 degrees outside today so having an easy to swing shaft was a big bonus today. Lost one left, lost one right and the rest were all super straight. Had a few 290+ drives which is pretty good for me. Of course, I am now going to loft it down and drop the weight in the back as I hit a few high spinny ones. Still going to experiment for a while but this is a dramatic improvement over the first time out. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

45 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Had a good day on the course today with Grafalloy Pro Launch today. Drives were mostly straight and hit a few bombs. It was about 40 degrees outside today so having an easy to swing shaft was a big bonus today. Lost one left, lost one right and the rest were all super straight. Had a few 290+ drives which is pretty good for me. Of course, I am now going to loft it down and drop the weight in the back as I hit a few high spinny ones. Still going to experiment for a while but this is a dramatic improvement over the first time out. 

Nice update! 

So in essence, we're all fitting ourselves into these shaft and head combos because regular fitting pro's aren't likely to ever recommend or even know about this path. 

#trailblazingsob's! 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Nice update! 

So in essence, we're all fitting ourselves into these shaft and head combos because regular fitting pro's aren't likely to ever recommend or even know about this path. 

#trailblazingsob's! 😜

My apologies telling the man who knows what we want to know, Ooooopsjust a senior moment...

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Nice update! 

#trailblazingsob's! 😜

But doing it en masse is streamlining the process and helping to minimize if not eliminate the "am I nuts or ??!?" moments that, for me, take place when I'm experimenting.  I find it easier to trust the results of an experiment when other people are getting similar results (and similar glitches).

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Quick question. If I’m at D2 with a midsize grip, if I switch to a regular (lighter grip) that should bring the weight down, or no. My brain hurts and I can’t remember. 

43 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

Quick question. If I’m at D2 with a midsize grip, if I switch to a regular (lighter grip) that should bring the weight down, or no. My brain hurts and I can’t remember. 

Smaller grip will make the head play heavier so it will increase your SW. If you go with a smaller grip, you'll want to find a counter weight for the grip end. Usually a strip of lead tape making up the difference in weight, or if you do your own grips, I like to use aluminum duct tape in place of build up tape. It weighs 2x more than standard masking tape. You can also opt for a butt plug (🤨).. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

37 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Smaller grip will make the head play heavier so it will increase your SW. If you go with a smaller grip, you'll want to find a counter weight for the grip end. Usually a strip of lead tape making up the difference in weight, or if you do your own grips, I like to use aluminum duct tape in place of build up tape. It weighs 2x more than standard masking tape. You can also opt for a butt plug (🤨).. 

Thanks. It’s funny- I had a Ping G30 head on the shaft originally and switched it to a Sim Max- I weighed the heads and they were exactly the same. The G30 was at D1, the Sim Max is at D2 with the midsize grip. I guess the adapter on the Sim Max is heavier. Crazy. 

3 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Thanks. It’s funny- I had a Ping G30 head on the shaft originally and switched it to a Sim Max- I weighed the heads and they were exactly the same. The G30 was at D1, the Sim Max is at D2 with the midsize grip. I guess the adapter on the Sim Max is heavier. Crazy. 

I have a Graphite Design reg flex shaft that works well with my Mizuno MP Type 2 Driver head, but it didn't work with my Titleist 8.5 deg 917 D3  head. BUT the 917 head works super good with my lady's shaft magic huh, I don't know why or how just one of the vagaries of golf no rhyme or reason..

8 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

It will bring the swing weight UP, not down.  True, the overall static weight of the club will be a few grams less than it was (assuming there IS a weight difference in the old vs. the  new grip) BUT the weight reduction at the butt end makes the head end "heavier" in a relative sense so the swing weight increases.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

6 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Yes, the TaylorMade adapters are much heavier, relatively speaking, than for example the Ping or PXG adapters.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

If it's helpful to anyone I can offer the following adapter weights:

Ping 4 grams

TaylorMade  6 grams

Titleist  8 grams

Every 2 grams at the head end of your driver is going to increase swing weight by 1-1.5 swing weight points.

Every 4 grams at the butt end is going to decrease swing weight by 1 point.

Hope that helps.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

I have learned something:  I have to play the butter cut with the softer shafts. These Honmas are such missile launchers that hitting a 190 yard 7i that lands with a big hop isn’t practical. But the cut shot with these softer shafts is reliable and lands like a pillow at 175-180. I may put something stiffer in later but it’s fun playing these shots and if I have to launch one to a 200yard par 3 I can go at it with a little draw. 

On 12/3/2022 at 8:15 PM, vandyland said:

Vandy, did you play in the Nashville area? I play most of the local public courses. Heading out to play Greystone next Saturday when my Dad visits!

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/