Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

I’ve got a cobra radspeed draw I bought but only tried it twice because I don’t need help going left, anyone have one and understand the adapter settings and happy to share with me I would appreciate it so much. I’ve tried +one today but not sure if I can straighten it out, I’d love to use the 13deg loft if possible or should I just sell and try something else?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 5/29/2023 at 9:50 PM, PACK7483 said:

Anyone tried this with the new BRNR mini yet?  I just picked up the 11.5 head.  Thinking the A flex pro launch blue at 44".  Just not sure how much weight to take out of the head.  

It’s a great looking club, however in my opinion OP works because you get launch and a bit of extra spin which allows you to drop loft … the loft drop delivers their ball speed as well. 
So if you go this route, can you drop the flex significantly without getting a balloon flight. Perhaps you can with the MP shaft but it’s a costly experiment. 
Maybe look at the specs and try a reduction in shaft length and get a feel on launch and spin.

But it’s a bit of eye candy for sure and the head cover is the best out there !

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

After consulting with the architect of this thread, I have decided to get the Mitsubishi Chemical VANQUISH shaft in the same profile as the Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue. I will post my results of the VANQUISH shaft vs my GLPB vs a control stiff shaft (it will most likely be the Kail'li Blue 60 gram as that is the stock shaft on Cobra drivers these days). It is my understanding that the VANQUISH is the "new lightweight offering and the successor to the Bassara". It is certainly more on the premium price point than the GLPB so I would imagine it would have to be SPECIAL to get most people's attention. I read the pluggedingolf review on the VANQUISH and he noted that it feels really solid and mid kick (granted he tested the 50 gram X flex). I love the graphics and will see how I get along with the feel. 

image.png.964e7a38bca036d7cacfb8debe28abd6.png

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 5/29/2023 at 10:46 AM, Vernon said:

Well I finally got a good bond with the MP in Ladies flex and the adapter tip and I gotta say that I really, really like it in the G430 Max.  I still think the feel is very similar to the Ventus Blue that I played in my G410 Plus and that's a good thing.  

One of the best feeling shafts ever in my opinion.

More importantly however is I hit three of my longest drives of the year yesterday with the MP.  I had a 288 on a flat fairway, a 303 on a slightly downhill hole and a 291 on another pretty flat fairway.  And there was virtually no wind so that wasn't a factor.  I had hit a couple pretty close to those distances earlier with the Pro Launch but they were with a 20- 25 mph tailwind.

Warming up on the range it was pretty evident that I was carrying the ball considerably longer than I had been with the Pro Launch but was really surprised when I actually got out on the golf course.

On a couple of holes that the tee shot lands into an upslope and my average distance is typically in the 225 - 230 range I was 245 and 251.

Most others were pretty consistently in the 260's which ain't bad for a 70 year old has been!

I did have one crazy way right miss on the sixteenth but it was after a couple of beers and I was getting pretty cocky at that point and just really went after one.  Found the ball in the way right rough though and it was 257 and couldn't have gotten more than a couple yards of bounce and roll in the tall grass.

Playing again this afternoon and pretty excited about getting back out there with this thing and again the feel is really, really good.  Not that the Pro Launch feels bad by any means it's just that the loading and unloading and the sensation at impact with the MP is exactly what I like in a driver shaft.

Also kinda like a Blue Board feel as best I can remember.

Really hoping that this wasn't a one shot wonder!

And it was also well worth having my wife laugh at me for playing an L flex driver shaft........

Well my last two rounds haven't gone nearly as well as the first but I don't think it's the fault of the MP.  Hit it great on the range in warmup but have been struggling with pulls and hooks on the course but it's pretty much throughout the bag.

Went from a 74 with twelve fairways and fourteen greens to 82 and 83 with very few of either!

I still really like the feel of the MP and I'm far from giving up on it.  Really feels like the Ventus Blue to me and as I mentioned earlier I like that a lot.

Rained out today but will hopefully give it another go tomorrow.

Worst case I might try an A flex or cut an inch off of the L but I really like the way this thing swings.

Playing at 45" at the moment but it looks and feels longer than that.

The mind is a terrible thing...........

Thanks @Vernon!  I plan to try the MP also.

And @azstu324 I am going to join your bandwagon.  I found a Paradym 3D for a good price, and plan to put it with the MP (L) and GWX (A) shafts to try.  As you suggested, it will look great with the MP shaft.

And?  I plan to use one of these to complete the look, which I am passing on in case you are similarly inclined.

https://www.amazon.com/Gofotu-Adapter-Sleeve-Compatible-Callaway/dp/B086C1FGF9/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=callaway+adapter&qid=1685551748&sr=8-16

AdapterBlue.jpg.6e0dffe9fc50c045e6b81abd60c4e964.jpg

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (ACCRA FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

18 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Thanks @Vernon!  I plan to try the MP also.

And @azstu324 I am going to join your bandwagon.  I found a Paradym 3D for a good price, and plan to put it with the MP (L) and GWX (A) shafts to try.  As you suggested, it will look great with the MP shaft.

And?  I plan to use one of these to complete the look, which I am passing on in case you are similarly inclined.

https://www.amazon.com/Gofotu-Adapter-Sleeve-Compatible-Callaway/dp/B086C1FGF9/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=callaway+adapter&qid=1685551748&sr=8-16

AdapterBlue.jpg.6e0dffe9fc50c045e6b81abd60c4e964.jpg

🤩

Oooohhhhh

That would really bring the color scheme together. I may just have to pick one up! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 1/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, Bulldog said:

It's been interesting following this topic.  I decided to give it a try  - PXG 0811X driver with PLB 45 A flex at 45.5".  My results were not encouraging.  Middling shots.  Still fighting the hook.  So I cut it down to 44" (thanks, Tom Wishon).  I'm a long time hobby club-builder.  I used the PXG weight kit to get the swing weight to D0.  I saw a shot improvement but nothing outstanding.  

So I decided to really get crazy and added a JumboMax JMX Zen Lite medium grip to the mix.  It feels like a baseball bat, and takes some getting used to. A few trips to the range and it looked like things were improving.

Yesterday I played on a soggy California course.  I hit 10 out of 14 fairways.  Of the 4 drives that missed the fairway, none were in trouble.   Distance was good (considering the soft, squishy ground and un-mowed fairways). My best drive was 238 which isn't bad for being 5' 8" and 72ish...

I think I may have found my sweet spot.

I just got three more JumboMax grips.  I'm going to test them on a short, middle, and long clubs. 

I've been playing the PXG 0811X driver with PLB 45 A flex at 44" since January.  I won't bore you with numbers and data points.  Just know that I'm keeping this configuration in the bag, period. Accuracy and distance are both clearly improved.

I did recently buy a new 2021 Callaway Epic Max LS.  I've replaced the shaft with a PLB 45 A flex at 44.5".  Swing weight is very low now, and I'm waiting for a new adjustable weight to get the swing weight back into a reasonable range.  Stay tuned.

The JumboMax grips haven't worked for me so far. It's mostly the weirdness factor of the baseball bat feeling. I plan to keep experimenting with them.

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

Got out tonight with the short OP. Well it’s not so short really and my yardages were rather good, excess of 280yards .. control is there, no need to increase loft currently, so still set at 8 degrees and neutral .. it’s open though. 
I also tried out a Snell Prime X , which feels soft off the club face, no noticeable yardage difference to the Q star tour from what I can tell. But 2 negative points , it’s affected by the wind and it’s not so durable ( you won’t be playing this for 18 holes without some discolouration). The wind was strong tonight and I will just accept the conditions may have been more to blame than the ball. I do like the ball it feels nice on all types of shots… does it spin, who knows our greens are concrete and it’s a waste of money buying premium balls from the Pro.

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

I hit the Paradym 💎💎💎 9° with the GWX 50 A shaft yesterday, and BOOM!  290-300 repeatedly when set at -1D.  That’s crazy long for me.  I want to dial it in to ensure I can control it consistently, but this is very encouraging. 

I plan to build the MP 50 L this week and try that too.  Will report in after.  

•  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

On 6/3/2023 at 10:56 PM, IndyBonzo said:

I hit the Paradym 💎💎💎 9° with the GWX 50 A shaft yesterday, and BOOM!  290-300 repeatedly when set at -1D.  That’s crazy long for me.  I want to dial it in to ensure I can control it consistently, but this is very encouraging. 

I plan to build the MP 50 L this week and try that too.  Will report in after.  

Nice, how much longer is that compared to your gamer and dispersion which is more important to me?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

3 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Nice, how much longer is that compared to your gamer and dispersion which is more important to me?

I am surprised to say that I am getting 10-20 yards more carry when compared to the Rogue ST Max LS, which I attribute to less spin and a lower, more piercing ball flight.  I had another range session yesterday and was able to consistently carry 270 into a slight wind and dispersion was essentially the same as the Rogue.  Dispersion is most important to me also.  If I get a decent swing on the Paradym at all, I find it surprisingly forgiving.  Even toe hits are on target.  Bad swings are bye-bye, but that was true with the Rogue too.  This is based on two range sessions and two very easy fairway-seeking swings on course (both found fairway at 250 yards).  More on-course testing is clearly needed.

I found moving the heavier weight to the front of the head did not negatively affect dispersion.

The GWX 50A shaft still seems best for me. Dispersion is much better than with the Fuji MotoreX F1 60S.  I have not yet tested the Fuji with the Paradym.  That’s next.  

The MP 50L did not yield more distance in limited testing, but was equally long while feeling more “boardy.”  It seemed to have a lower trajectory than the GWX, which means I need to tinker with settings.  It may be lower spinning too, so …?  I think I need to take them both to the Superstore sims and compare bc there may be more to squeeze out of the MP.

Hooe that helps @Bang60!

4 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

I am surprised to say that I am getting 10-20 yards more carry when compared to the Rogue ST Max LS, which I attribute to less spin and a lower, more piercing ball flight.  I had another range session yesterday and was able to consistently carry 270 into a slight wind and dispersion was essentially the same as the Rogue.  Dispersion is most important to me also.  If I get a decent swing on the Paradym at all, I find it surprisingly forgiving.  Even toe hits are on target.  Bad swings are bye-bye, but that was true with the Rogue too.  This is based on two range sessions and two very easy fairway-seeking swings on course (both found fairway at 250 yards).  More on-course testing is clearly needed.

I found moving the heavier weight to the front of the head did not negatively affect dispersion.

The GWX 50A shaft still seems best for me. Dispersion is much better than with the Fuji MotoreX F1 60S.  I have not yet tested the Fuji with the Paradym.  That’s next.  

The MP 50L did not yield more distance in limited testing, but was equally long while feeling more “boardy.”  It seemed to have a lower trajectory than the GWX, which means I need to tinker with settings.  It may be lower spinning too, so …?  I think I need to take them both to the Superstore sims and compare bc there may be more to squeeze out of the MP.

Hooe that helps @Bang60!

So when I had my initial fitting and so far ONLY opportunity to hit the TD (still waiting for mine), I really found it to be as advertised in the spin variation department. 

Historically, and mainly pre-OttoPhlex, my detrimental misses have been the spin-killing closed toe duck hook, and the high flying/spinning low heel mega power fade into the adjacent fairway or neighborhood. The OP has helped negate a good deal of those shots that fly out of play due to promoting a better quality contact.. BUT heel and toe shots do still creep in and can wreak havock on the spin. 

What I noticed with the TD is that spin shifts from low heel, to centered, to high toe, were REALLY tight. Sure shots were off line on missed hits, but distance loss was minimal on missed shots left and right, and the offline disbursement from center seemed well within play, and much further down field than I'm accustomed to. 

NOW.. if I could only find out where my TD is.. 🫤

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Due to the Otto Phlex experiment, I have two sets of woods.  On Saturday's, I play the stiffer set and on Sunday's I go with the A flex woods.  Yesterday (Sunday), I had my best round off the tee with the Otto Phlex woods.  I had really been struggling with hooking the Otto Phlex clubs, but a tip from a Danny Maude video helped reduce the hook to a nice draw.  I can't say for sure that I am hitting the Otto Phlex woods further, but my swing just feels easier and more effortless.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

On 5/31/2023 at 11:18 AM, Vernon said:

Well my last two rounds haven't gone nearly as well as the first but I don't think it's the fault of the MP.  Hit it great on the range in warmup but have been struggling with pulls and hooks on the course but it's pretty much throughout the bag.

Went from a 74 with twelve fairways and fourteen greens to 82 and 83 with very few of either!

I still really like the feel of the MP and I'm far from giving up on it.  Really feels like the Ventus Blue to me and as I mentioned earlier I like that a lot.

Rained out today but will hopefully give it another go tomorrow.

Worst case I might try an A flex or cut an inch off of the L but I really like the way this thing swings.

Playing at 45" at the moment but it looks and feels longer than that.

The mind is a terrible thing...........

A little tardy with this update but last week after six more pull hooks in seven holes I bagged the MP and put the Pro Launch Blue back in the G430.  First swing was 278 right down the middle........

Shot 42 on that front nine with three doubles due to the pull hooks and then was even on the back with the Pro Launch.

In the three rounds since I've driven it pretty dang good and shot 75, 78 and 79.

Now a rational man would say enough is enough and just stick with the Pro Launch but I just ain't that guy!  

If I can get to the course early enough today to get a dozen or so swings with the MP on the range and hit it decent I'm gonna give it another shot this afternoon.

I just love the feel of the thing and still might try shortening the length a little bit.

That first round with the MP was the best I'd hit the tee ball in five years and I know it's still in there somewhere!

I had the chance to test the MP5 40-L shaft against the GWX 50-A, and my old gamer the Fujikura MotoreX F1 6-S.  Both the Otto-Phlex shafts are the same length (I think 44.25"); the Fuji is +1".

Based on these results and some range work earlier this week, as I suspected I was able to squeeze out more distance from the MP5 over the GWX.  I did not suspect the difference would be 7 yards, or that the dispersion of the longer MP5 would be far superior to the GWX.

Here is the data (limited sample size, but I cut out a few awful swings (not the club's fault) and I was getting tired after also comparing some irons and checking some distance gaps):

ForesightShaftComparison.jpg.5ed1ea45cc1e1949bee9b7d5a84be13c.jpg

I failed to capture it graphically, but the dispersion of the MP5 was by far the tightest.  For that reason, it appears to be superior to the 2nd best Fuji.  I have no desire to trade significantly more dispersion for an additional 3 yards.

Interestingly, carry yards were longer outdoors.  I adjusted the elevation on the Foresight to match local conditions.  Different balls, wind, temperature, etc., I suppose.

I still want to test the Fuji against the MP5 at the same length.  So I will cut down the Fuji and see if it can keep the better distance and match the MP5's tight dispersion, and I suppose then I will have my gamer.  Both the Otto-Phlex MP5 and the non-Otto-Phlex Fuji are easy to hit.

I hope this is helpful to others choosing OP shafts.

P.S.  My nerd status is now official.  And if you were wondering, the negative sidespin numbers mean left spin; positive sidespin numbers mean right spin.

Ball speed is king, so mp5 has potential you just have to fiddle launch conditions..

I wore a hole in my hands today trying to hit the ball in a direction of my choosing.

I did try my Ping 3 wood with the 55 g A flex shaft, it’s very promising and no sloppy feelings .. so look for the low torque or boardy shafts for heavy heads is my conclusion 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

1 hour ago, IndyBonzo said:

I had the chance to test the MP5 40-L shaft against the GWX 50-A, and my old gamer the Fujikura MotoreX F1 6-S.  Both the Otto-Phlex shafts are the same length (I think 44.25"); the Fuji is +1".

Based on these results and some range work earlier this week, as I suspected I was able to squeeze out more distance from the MP5 over the GWX.  I did not suspect the difference would be 7 yards, or that the dispersion of the longer MP5 would be far superior to the GWX.

Here is the data (limited sample size, but I cut out a few awful swings (not the club's fault) and I was getting tired after also comparing some irons and checking some distance gaps):

ForesightShaftComparison.jpg.5ed1ea45cc1e1949bee9b7d5a84be13c.jpg

I failed to capture it graphically, but the dispersion of the MP5 was by far the tightest.  For that reason, it appears to be superior to the 2nd best Fuji.  I have no desire to trade significantly more dispersion for an additional 3 yards.

Interestingly, carry yards were longer outdoors.  I adjusted the elevation on the Foresight to match local conditions.  Different balls, wind, temperature, etc., I suppose.

I still want to test the Fuji against the MP5 at the same length.  So I will cut down the Fuji and see if it can keep the better distance and match the MP5's tight dispersion, and I suppose then I will have my gamer.  Both the Otto-Phlex MP5 and the non-Otto-Phlex Fuji are easy to hit.

I hope this is helpful to others choosing OP shafts.

P.S.  My nerd status is now official.  And if you were wondering, the negative sidespin numbers mean left spin; positive sidespin numbers mean right spin.

Now.. if you really wanna geek out, would be interesting to see what a lower loft setting, or lower spinning ball would do for #'s on the MP. If you could somehow shed 200 to 300 RPM or 2° of lunch you might just find yourself a clear winner in this group. 

Great testing stats though! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Thx @azstu324.  I think I can reduce the launch angle either by aiming less behind the ball (Rahm style) or reducing the loft by 1° with the adjustable adapter. That is a good suggestion. I tested with a low spinning ball already -  the Vice Pro Soft.  I may repeat the test with a pro V1 or even the AVX, although I have not traditionally been a fan of that ball. 

Thank you for all the good input and suggestions!

Spent today getting my eyes checked and the pressure was 34 about 50% above normal because of a admin cockup at the hospital, 7 weeks without medicine "eye drops" bastards...

So tomorrow should be nice so back to practice mostly working the drivers looking for tighter dispersion, still not done anymore lie angles on my irons but it's on my to do lists...

23 hours ago, Vernon said:

A little tardy with this update but last week after six more pull hooks in seven holes I bagged the MP and put the Pro Launch Blue back in the G430.  First swing was 278 right down the middle........

Shot 42 on that front nine with three doubles due to the pull hooks and then was even on the back with the Pro Launch.

In the three rounds since I've driven it pretty dang good and shot 75, 78 and 79.

Now a rational man would say enough is enough and just stick with the Pro Launch but I just ain't that guy!  

If I can get to the course early enough today to get a dozen or so swings with the MP on the range and hit it decent I'm gonna give it another shot this afternoon.

I just love the feel of the thing and still might try shortening the length a little bit.

That first round with the MP was the best I'd hit the tee ball in five years and I know it's still in there somewhere!

Well the MP behaved itself much better yesterday.  Distances weren't quite as long as they were in round one but we've had some rain and they've also been watering quite a bit this week so the fairways have softened up considerably.

I had two drives that were slight pulls but nothing like the pull hooks that screwed everything up previously.

Only hit six fairways but that's a little deceiving as two drives were through the fairway on doglegs and only a couple of feet into the rough and two others were in fairway bunkers that aren't typically reachable so that's kind of a plus sort of negative I guess.

Averaged around 260 which is pretty good for me these days.

Highlight was a 297 yarder on the last hole that left a nine iron to fifteen feet and a birdie to finish with a 75.

Both of the "good" rounds with the MP produced a couple of those strikes that have the guys in the group (all ten to fifteen years younger than me) going "wow".  High, long tight draws that just seem to go forever.  

If I could bottle those swings up I could die a happy man!

At this point I still think that the Pro Launch is more reliable and forgiving overall (and still plenty long) but I still prefer the feel of the MP and the top end of the distance potential is greater with the MP.

If I was teeing it up for money today I think I'd probably go with the Pro Launch but if I was playing in a scramble it'd be the MP for sure.

Really wanting to cut a half inch off of the MP and maybe even an inch but I'm afraid I'm gonna screw it up if I do although for fifty five bucks I could always then try it in a fairway wood and just order another one.

I'm at least gonna try the five gram heavier weight some today on the range with both shafts and decide from there.

Got my VANQUISH today. Just need to set the adapter and I am debating butt trimming it 0.5 inches but will consult with Mitsubishi Chemical just to make sure that is advisable. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

7 hours ago, Vernon said:

Well the MP behaved itself much better yesterday.  Distances weren't quite as long as they were in round one but we've had some rain and they've also been watering quite a bit this week so the fairways have softened up considerably.

I had two drives that were slight pulls but nothing like the pull hooks that screwed everything up previously.

Only hit six fairways but that's a little deceiving as two drives were through the fairway on doglegs and only a couple of feet into the rough and two others were in fairway bunkers that aren't typically reachable so that's kind of a plus sort of negative I guess.

Averaged around 260 which is pretty good for me these days.

Highlight was a 297 yarder on the last hole that left a nine iron to fifteen feet and a birdie to finish with a 75.

Both of the "good" rounds with the MP produced a couple of those strikes that have the guys in the group (all ten to fifteen years younger than me) going "wow".  High, long tight draws that just seem to go forever.  

If I could bottle those swings up I could die a happy man!

At this point I still think that the Pro Launch is more reliable and forgiving overall (and still plenty long) but I still prefer the feel of the MP and the top end of the distance potential is greater with the MP.

If I was teeing it up for money today I think I'd probably go with the Pro Launch but if I was playing in a scramble it'd be the MP for sure.

Really wanting to cut a half inch off of the MP and maybe even an inch but I'm afraid I'm gonna screw it up if I do although for fifty five bucks I could always then try it in a fairway wood and just order another one.

I'm at least gonna try the five gram heavier weight some today on the range with both shafts and decide from there.

Like reading about your trying different things to find the best fit for you, I've just tried going down the the shafts and inch bcuz once it's cut it no good as a driver shaft not for me anyway...

Today’s range session with the mp was quite interesting. I got the swing weight down to 0.9 and got rid of the high right miss. It was very straight, with every shot falling just left or just right of my start line. However I really struggled to find the center of the face today, which was funny because I couldn’t miss with my gamer that I hit first to get baselines. Numbers-wise, I hit a few bombs with the mp at 317 and 320, but averages were lower than my gamer due to the inconsistent strike. My swing speed was way up, though, like 10mph on average vs the gamer, and even those bombs were not great strikes but went so far due to just more speed.

I think my next step is to cut the shaft down a quarter to half of an inch to see if my strike consistency improves. I think if I can find the right length and keep the swing weight between D0 and D1.5, this could be my new shaft just due to dispersion. In addition, if the length ends up being what it seems it potentially could be and can get consistent, it will be a no brainier.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

49 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

Today’s range session with the mp was quite interesting. I got the swing weight down to 0.9 and got rid of the high right miss. It was very straight, with every shot falling just left or just right of my start line. However I really struggled to find the center of the face today, which was funny because I couldn’t miss with my gamer that I hit first to get baselines. Numbers-wise, I hit a few bombs with the mp at 317 and 320, but averages were lower than my gamer due to the inconsistent strike. My swing speed was way up, though, like 10mph on average vs the gamer, and even those bombs were not great strikes but went so far due to just more speed.

I think my next step is to cut the shaft down a quarter to half of an inch to see if my strike consistency improves. I think if I can find the right length and keep the swing weight between D0 and D1.5, this could be my new shaft just due to dispersion. In addition, if the length ends up being what it seems it potentially could be and can get consistent, it will be a no brainier.

Man you're so close! This is exactly what I did initially. Even @ 45" matching my original gamer, I was still 4-5 mph faster without doing anything and actually found the center more often which bumped up smash factor resulting in that "no brainer" choice to make the change. After time, you just naturally adjust your tempo to synch with the shaft and you find yourself never looking back. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

Those are great numbers!  I admit I am jealous.  I bet you lose very little yardage if you cut the shaft down bc you will hit center, as @azstu324 says.   Isn’t the MP a great shaft?  I am amazed at how solid it feels despite the L flex.  

1 hour ago, IndyBonzo said:

Those are great numbers!  I admit I am jealous.  I bet you lose very little yardage if you cut the shaft down bc you will hit center, as @azstu324 says.   Isn’t the MP a great shaft?  I am amazed at how solid it feels despite the L flex.  

That’s my hope. My gamer is 44.75”, and I hit it as far as anything I have ever had that was longer shaft length. I have always struggled with longer drives shafts, but wanted to start longer with the Otto to see if the extra flex and things would help me control it better. While the experiment overall seems to control direction really well, I guess I still need to get the length in a good spot for me. I am going to cut it down 0.5” and try it again this week. 

Yes, the mp is super stable! Feels like a much stronger shaft, but smooth loading and fast. I feel like if I get the length right and am hitting the center, this thing will be huge.

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

1 hour ago, MuniGolfer said:

That’s my hope. My gamer is 44.75”, and I hit it as far as anything I have ever had that was longer shaft length. I have always struggled with longer drives shafts, but wanted to start longer with the Otto to see if the extra flex and things would help me control it better. While the experiment overall seems to control direction really well, I guess I still need to get the length in a good spot for me. I am going to cut it down 0.5” and try it again this week. 

Yes, the mp is super stable! Feels like a much stronger shaft, but smooth loading and fast. I feel like if I get the length right and am hitting the center, this thing will be huge.

In theory a longer shaft of any flex is meant to create a little more whip and help with distance so that's why a lot of guys play the longer shaft. What's great about this concept is that you still get the same whip effect but can play it in a shorter length for more control. Best of both worlds. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

In theory a longer shaft of any flex is meant to create a little more whip and help with distance so that's why a lot of guys play the longer shaft. What's great about this concept is that you still get the same whip effect but can play it in a shorter length for more control. Best of both worlds. 

That makes sense, and hopefully works out well. 

Bit of a mixed bag for me … range is pretty reasonable, on course and I am random .. definitely me, not the shaft set up!
I dropped my 5 wood and put the Ping G425 max in std 14.5 loft with the A flex shaft in. Suffice to say this works despite my uselessness. I was hitting it 250 yards with about 6ft of peak apex 🙄 and when I eventually got it right it was a little further. Dispersion was good and I was in play when ever I used it ( perhaps I should have used it more!) 

I am still committed and despite my off tee woes I am still seeing handicap cuts .. but I have practiced my short game, and fiddled my scrambling stats to decent .. but I think I may have diagnosed my self with a flying trail elbow … but no range time this week due to a business trip and if I slip off on Saturday evening for a quick 20 balls I am pretty sure the current wife  ( I won’t bother with another if the opportunity arose) will divorce me, so it’s a case of fudging it the next Sunday competition!

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Have played two rounds now with the Mitsubishi VANQUISH in a regular flex and I have been loving it. I don't know the EI profile on it but I would say the VANQUISH feels just as "active" or "whippy" in the regular flex as my GPLB does in A/Senior flex. The VANQUISH is pretty expensive and I will have to get on a monitor to see if it is markedly better than the GPLB but so far, through 2 rounds, I am loving it. Feels like I am hitting it a tad farther but still feels ultra stable at impact even though it is kicking like crazy. At this rate I might be selling a Cobra tipped GPLB to a new Otto-phlex recruit soon....