TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Until I can get on trackman or GCQuad I am going to abandon this project. Not that I didn't or couldn't hit my Otto Phlex, but I definitely noticed some inconsistency with it. The feel was fine and I will revisit this later on, however for now I am much more comfortable with my Fuji stiff shaft and the feel along with performance was much better. 

We will see what happens later on, but at least for now I have to call this a bust... or maybe it was just cold, not comfortable with the higher tee or a variety of other things however with so many other questions going on with my swing and so on it just doesn't help adding this as another variable. 

I'm thinking that's another symptom that each of us has to explore to find what works best, I have a 40gram and a 65gram shaft ladies flex that I'm hitting and the 65 shaft just doesn't work for me. The 40gram is much more forgiving, yesterday I slightly drop kicked off the tee up hill and I was almost as long. That's a surprise for me, I'm using a white tee about 1inch high to save myself when using much higher tees as I try to HIT them way too hard and I can go hook or slice..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Hey man, real honesty is what I wanna see so thanks for providing your experience thus far. Just like ANY piece of golf equipment from tees to golf carts and everything in between, it'll work great for some but definitely not for others. 

Up to this point, I'm just stoked to see all of the participation and general success rate. 

Simply doesn't hurt to try something new! I should have another session tomorrow and the shaft will be in the bag so who knows maybe I get bored and give it a try again. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

54 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Simply doesn't hurt to try something new! I should have another session tomorrow and the shaft will be in the bag so who knows maybe I get bored and give it a try again. 

I'm thinking of taking out my regular shaft smoke Mizuno this afternoon or tomorrow, just want to bash some frustration out lol or I might say something to the club manager I.e. that he's not a managers elbow....

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 10/19/2022 at 9:24 AM, azstu324 said:

Technically no tipping this time. I had already cut a half an inch off for the driver project but decided to just go with the standard trimming and it worked out great! 

Follow up as i am learning about shaft trimming. Are you stating you cut a half inch off the tip end already from the Driver project or was that from the butt end?

I have the GWX on my 3 wood and i do like it just feel like possible tightening the whippyness a little. Same as my driver. As spin rate seems a little too high. Driver around 2800 and 3 wood 3800. 

Also did you decrease the loft on the 3 wood like in the driver or left standard?

Driver- Tsi3

Irons- Srixon Zx5

Wedges- Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter- Sik 

3 minutes ago, qLofty said:

Follow up as i am learning about shaft trimming. Are you stating you cut a half inch off the tip end already from the Driver project or was that from the butt end?

I have the GWX on my 3 wood and i do like it just feel like possible tightening the whippyness a little. Same as my driver. As spin rate seems a little too high. Driver around 2800 and 3 wood 3800. 

Also did you decrease the loft on the 3 wood like in the driver or left standard?

So on the PLB I did clip 1/2" off the tip from the start and then butt trimmed the rest so the driver plays at 45" when all setup.

DISCLAIMER: it's not recommended by Garafalloy to tip trim the PLB due to the extremely short 2" tip section... BUT 1/2" won't hurt anything and should tighten up that tip section just a hair. 

As for the GWX, I think I have at least 1/2", or maybe an inch trimmed off the tip. 

I have my 3 wood cranked down to 13° which is the lowest it will go. Just like the PLB though, my flight is higher but my spin is pretty optimal at around 2800. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Hey all, throwing a question out related to a potential “ottophlex” opportunity. I won a giveaway on Instagram from Project X for a Cypher driver shaft. The Cypher is high launch, high spin, and lightweight. I currently play a Tensei Raw AV White 65. Wondering if you guys think it would work in the Ottophlex fashion potentially? Thanks!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

6 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Hey all, throwing a question out related to a potential “ottophlex” opportunity. I won a giveaway on Instagram from Project X for a Cypher driver shaft. The Cypher is high launch, high spin, and lightweight. I currently play a Tensei Raw AV White 65. Wondering if you guys think it would work in the Ottophlex fashion potentially? Thanks!

From what I've read on here I'm guessing your normal swing makes it very difficult to get the ball off the ground, if so then it may well suit you but I'd wait for the more knowledgeable guys to comment....

11 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

If it’s the Cypher 40 5.0 give it a shot.  I have that in my PXG 2021 driver and it’s pretty good.  Took some getting used to on tempo.  
will try it in. 3031 gen5 when I can.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 minute ago, Bang60 said:

From what I've read on here I'm guessing your normal swing makes it very difficult to get the ball off the ground, if so then it may well suit you but I'd wait for the more knowledgeable guys to comment....

So essentially with a shaft profile and set up of that Cypher, I’d need to make some tempo adjustments to my swing? Am I understanding your comment correctly?

#LeftyGang

Just now, Rickp said:

If it’s the Cypher 40 5.0 give it a shot.  I have that in my PXG 2021 driver and it’s pretty good.  Took some getting used to on tempo.  
will try it in. 3031 gen5 when I can.

I believe it’s the 50 5.5

#LeftyGang

1 minute ago, Jnoble89 said:

That’s different from what I have.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, Rickp said:

That’s different from what I have.

Thanks, I’ll definitely have to do some thinking on it. Otherwise I’ll probably try to pay it forward and let them pick another winner or try to find someone who plays that specific shaft or could play it

#LeftyGang

6 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

So the 50 5.5 could be a partial rendition of the OttoPhlex but you might not get the full effect as PX 5.5 has typically been a more rigid R flex (historically speaking). PX frequencies have always been about 1/2 flex stiffer than the general population. 

In the video from Freddie Meikle at the begging of the thread, he used a 40g 5.0 Cypher and loved it.  If I recall though, his SS is in the 105++ mph range so take that into consideration. 

Are you limited to that specific profile? 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Just now, azstu324 said:

So the 50 5.5 could be a partial rendition of the OttoPhlex but you might not get the full effect as PX 5.5 has typically been a more rigid R flex (historically speaking). PX frequencies have always been about 1/2 flex stiffer than the general population. 

In the video from Freddie Meikle at the begging of the thread, he used a 40g 5.0 Cypher and loved it.  If I recall though, his SS is in the 105++ mph range so take that into consideration. 

Are you limited to that specific profile? 

I believe so, but I am waiting to hear back from them. It was a special edition run they did for Valentine’s Day so I’m guessing it’s going to be unique to that 50 5.5 as that is what is in the video. My swing speed is usually around 100-103

#LeftyGang

8 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

So essentially with a shaft profile and set up of that Cypher, I’d need to make some tempo adjustments to my swing? Am I understanding your comment correctly?

How close does it match the Tensei, Otto phlex shaft should be 2 flexes less and 40grams and tempo is important. Up until I became a Otto phlex convert I tried to hit the ball as hard as possible with some control, now I'm trying to be smooth and not swing to far back and my ball striking has got me to 255 metres+....

1 minute ago, Bang60 said:

How close does it match the Tensei, Otto phlex shaft should be 2 flexes less and 40grams and tempo is important. Up until I became a Otto phlex convert I tried to hit the ball as hard as possible with some control, now I'm trying to be smooth and not swing to far back and my ball striking has got me to 255 metres+....

I will have to compare the two. My Tensei is 65g stiff flex, so it’s definitely not two flexes down if it’s the 50 5.5

#LeftyGang

1 minute ago, Jnoble89 said:

I will have to compare the two. My Tensei is 65g stiff flex, so it’s definitely not two flexes down if it’s the 50 5.5

Sounds like the ladies or senior flex 40gram is what your looking for, I found 1 ladies on eBay for $15 that works very well so bought 2 more as I will try different driver heads later to see if I can improve on distance and dispersion. I'm in any hurry as I don't think I can better 255 metres, but I like to tinker lol...

24 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

So essentially with a shaft profile and set up of that Cypher, I’d need to make some tempo adjustments to my swing?

This is something that I think a lot of us have noticed that the OttoPhlex strongly promotes. Not that it requires a "swing change" to use the shaft, but it helps to find a more repeatable and stable tempo that many of us were missing all along. It's really a training aid and driver in one

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

This is something that I think a lot of us have noticed that the OttoPhlex strongly promotes. Not that it requires a "swing change" to use the shaft, but it helps to find a more repeatable and stable tempo that many of us were missing all along. It's really a training aid and driver in one

Thanks for the feedback stu and @Bang60

I will update when I heard back from PX. May see if they will let me swap it out for a lighter and softer flex or else a shaft that fits more my profile if I pay it forward on the 50 5.5. Either way, cool to actually win a giveaway. First time ever! 😂

#LeftyGang

19 hours ago, azstu324 said:

PX 5.5 has typically been a more rigid R flex

Yes was gonna mention their 5.5 is more like an "R+" or a "Firm".

fyi... the PX 5.0 is kinda in-between what most call Regular to Senior; while their 4.5 would be more like other manufacturer's Senior and the 4.0 would be Ladies.

Great shaft, though!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

19 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Thanks for the feedback stu and @Bang60

I will update when I heard back from PX. May see if they will let me swap it out for a lighter and softer flex or else a shaft that fits more my profile if I pay it forward on the 50 5.5. Either way, cool to actually win a giveaway. First time ever! 😂

It's nice to WIN golf gear, if they swap great but people I know who won stuff couldn't get a change because it's already setup in the system and they just print a label...?

4 hours ago, Bang60 said:

It's nice to WIN golf gear, if they swap great but people I know who won stuff couldn't get a change because it's already setup in the system and they just print a label...?

Yeah I’m not sure. I’m certainly not trying to come off as disappointed to the fact that it may not work out. 

#LeftyGang

This is my first post at MGS, and I want to use it to say hello, share my excitement, and mostly say thank you.

I found this thread via Google after watching the MrShortGame and MobileClubFitter videos.   I have read all 57 pages, and have learned a TON - and not just about the Otto Phlex.  I am anxious to dig into other threads.  I am so thankful for all the knowledge and insights shared here.  THANK YOU.

I game a 9 degree Rogue ST Max LS with a Fuji Motore X F1 Stiff 68g at D2.  From lots of practice and lessons, I have started hitting it much better, and 300+ with some regularity-  but not nearly as consistently as I like, and dispersion is still rough.  That is mostly about my swing problems, not the club.  

That said, I was fortunate to find the OG Fuji Motore F3 55-R on eBay (in an old Lefty Cobra driver for cheap).  This is the shaft MrShortGame actually preferred over the AF in the video.  GG is building it for me today at 46" and D0-1, and I get to hit it for the first time tomorrow with my Rogue head.  I am beyond excited, as I think swinging a bit slower, and feeling the load more in the backswing, will help a ton with my swing faults (which relate primarily to my finish and tempo). 

I also have a PLB L shaft on the way to try.

So, no data to share yet, but I will be back when I have news.  But I want to stress again - thank you!  

Edited by IndyBonzo
more detail

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (UST Mimaya MP5 40-L Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

35 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

This is my first post at MGS, and I want to use it to say hello, share my excitement, and mostly say thank you.

I found this thread via Google after watching the MrShortGame and MobileClubFitter videos.   I have read all 57 pages, and have learned a TON - and not just about the Otto Phlex.  I am anxious to dig into other threads.  I am so thankful for all the knowledge and insights shared here.  THANK YOU.

I game a 9 degree Rogue ST Max LS with a Fuji Motore X F1 Stiff 68g at D2.  From lots of practice and lessons, I have started hitting it much better, and 300+ with some regularity-  but not nearly as consistently as I like, and dispersion is still rough.  That is mostly about my swing problems, not the club.  

That said, I was fortunate to find the OG Fuji Motore F3 55-R on eBay (in an old Lefty Cobra driver for cheap).  This is the shaft MrShortGame actually preferred over the AF in the video.  GG is building it for me today at 46" and D0-1, and I get to hit it for the first time tomorrow with my Rogue head.  I am beyond excited, as I think swinging a bit slower, and feeling the load more in the backswing, will help a ton with my swing faults (which relate primarily to my finish and tempo). 

I also have a PLB L shaft on the way to try.

So, no data to share yet, but I will be back when I have news.  But I want to stress again - thank you!  

Welcome IndyBonzo, you've made a great start with your first post. Looking fwd to reading your input,happy golfing...

Any thoughts on the Fuji Cobra Baffler Motore shaft for OP FW wood shafts?

3B8349BB-DA75-4335-8E70-27B44E5D95AC.jpeg

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (UST Mimaya MP5 40-L Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

3 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

Any thoughts on the Fuji Cobra Baffler Motore shaft for OP FW wood shafts?

3B8349BB-DA75-4335-8E70-27B44E5D95AC.jpeg

I bought a set of cobra irons with fw and hybrid woods with Motore shafts but NO driver in the set, I've not played the woods as I like my Widex ll ladies shafted 5wood too much but NOT selling the Motore shafts did sell the irons tho...

Good Morning all,

I’ve been following this thread since January but had not looked at for a couple weeks. 
I built a OP club in January with these specs and thought I would at least take the time to post my initial findings.TM SIM 9 degrees head, PLB-A shaft, SW=D1, length = 45.5”, shaft tipped 1/2”, adapter set at 7.5 degrees, Champkey x standard grip built up with 4 wraps, total club weight is 303g.

I was fitted and purchased a Titleist TSR3 driver about a week before I built the OP club so I’m torn as the OP club does have an extra gear on really good hits. We have had a mild winter in Ohio so I’ve played a lot in January and February and go to an indoor teaching/ practice golf facially with 4 Trackman bays once a week. So I have a lot of TM data and outdoor experience with the club and I hope to post some hard data at some point. Played 9 yesterday and on a tight hole I hit 4 balls with each driver. The OP had 3 in play and TSR3 had 2. The out of play shots hit trees. The 2 TSR shots and 2 of the OP shots were within a few yards of each other, but one OP shot was 15+ yds longer. I have had similar results other times that I hit a bunch of balls on one hole with both drivers and the SIM with its Diamana standard shaft ( have the course to myself on those days as weather not that good plus not many golfers willing to walk).

so I would summarize by saying the OP has the potential to be longer with absolutely no loss of accuracy for me.

A quick look at my TM data shows my club speed ( 106 vs 103) and ball speed (154 vs 149) to be faster and spin rate lower around 2000, on average for the OP club. Key is the Dispersion with OP club is very good.

I have several other retired buddies that are also willing to walk and play in the milder winter weather and they are impressed with the OP driver also. 

tired of typing so that’s it for now. Crappy day so heading for the indoor facility in a few hours.

thanks for reading

:titleist-small:Driver TSR3 B1 HZDS BLK; :titleist-small:3W TSI 15;:titleist-small:5W TSI; :mizuno-small: Irons JPX 921 Forged 4-PW; :cleveland-small:Wedges 50,54,58 degree; :ping-small:Anser putter (circa 1960);  :titleist-small: Prov1 ball

5 hours ago, IMBO said:

Good Morning all,

I’ve been following this thread since January but had not looked at for a couple weeks. 
I built a OP club in January with these specs and thought I would at least take the time to post my initial findings.TM SIM 9 degrees head, PLB-A shaft, SW=D1, length = 45.5”, shaft tipped 1/2”, adapter set at 7.5 degrees, Champkey x standard grip built up with 4 wraps, total club weight is 303g.

I was fitted and purchased a Titleist TSR3 driver about a week before I built the OP club so I’m torn as the OP club does have an extra gear on really good hits. We have had a mild winter in Ohio so I’ve played a lot in January and February and go to an indoor teaching/ practice golf facially with 4 Trackman bays once a week. So I have a lot of TM data and outdoor experience with the club and I hope to post some hard data at some point. Played 9 yesterday and on a tight hole I hit 4 balls with each driver. The OP had 3 in play and TSR3 had 2. The out of play shots hit trees. The 2 TSR shots and 2 of the OP shots were within a few yards of each other, but one OP shot was 15+ yds longer. I have had similar results other times that I hit a bunch of balls on one hole with both drivers and the SIM with its Diamana standard shaft ( have the course to myself on those days as weather not that good plus not many golfers willing to walk).

so I would summarize by saying the OP has the potential to be longer with absolutely no loss of accuracy for me.

A quick look at my TM data shows my club speed ( 106 vs 103) and ball speed (154 vs 149) to be faster and spin rate lower around 2000, on average for the OP club. Key is the Dispersion with OP club is very good.

I have several other retired buddies that are also willing to walk and play in the milder winter weather and they are impressed with the OP driver also. 

tired of typing so that’s it for now. Crappy day so heading for the indoor facility in a few hours.

thanks for reading

I've been looking at doing exactly what you've done hitting 2 or 3 drivers off the Tee, I've got 3 Bassara Otto phlex shafts and 3 Titleist heads that I could try and next week weather wise is looking good. Thanks for the prompting....

I have been using the PLB 45g senior in several driver heads; Ping G425 MAX, G425 LST, Titleist TS1 and currently G430 LST and have seen good results with all. I am now looking to do an Otto Phlex shaft for my Ping G410 3 wood and wondering which shaft and specs would make sense in trying.

I do have a second PLB 45g which I used in the Titleist driver, not sure if this would be too light especially after cutting it down to length.

39 minutes ago, Tsc said:

I do have a second PLB 45g which I used in the Titleist driver, not sure if this would be too light especially after cutting it down to length.

Fyi if you haven't seen his earlier posts @azstu324 has been liking the GWX - from Golf Works - which is just a bit heavier in his fairway.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg