Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

GolfSpy_TCB's Iron Journey and Unofficial Review - TaylorMade Stealth Irons

GolfSpy TCB

A bit undercover, at least from the forum perspective, for the past several weeks I have been trying out a new set of irons to see what pro's and con's they may have for my game.  

As I have mentioned in other posts, I learned to play the game of golf on a set of Ping Eye 2's:

image.png

As my game improved I transitioned to forged clubs with a set of used Mizuno T-Zoid Pros.

image.png

Until purchasing a set of forged blades.

Specifically Mizuno MP33's.

image.png

Some of the best golf of my life came from these beautiful irons.  They were stolen from my trunk many years ago… I still miss them.

image.png

After a few years away from the game as I focused my energy on my 5 kids and my career (to support the 5 kids)….  I picked up the game again along with a set of MacGregor MT Pro M's in black... man these were sweet clubs – and underrated. 

image.png

I also had a set of original Nike Blades that I mixed into my bag on occasion. 

image.png

And then a set of Mizuno MP68's, which I still own. 

image.png

A move to Texas accompanying yet another break away from the game for a few years, I returned to the game I love 2 years ago, and this time for good... my kids are grown, my job is steady, and the only life change in my future will be retirement (too many years from now for my liking) but that will only allow me to play even more golf. 

Last summer, being frustrated with my age induced decrease in swing speed and resulting decrease in distance, I started looking for a little more help in the form of technology.  Enter the new line of Titleist irons - and during my first ever fitting - I began with and moved past the T100 line quickly - to the T100s - and ultimately landed on the Titleist T200's

image.png

Big change for me, but I did recognize the increased distance and consistency in my mis-hits.  While not blades - still forged, and I shrugged off a little less feel and that buttery feel of a forged blade in exchange for improved performance.  I was also fit into a graphite shaft, which in hindsight, may not have been the best choice for me.  I was fortunate enough to be selected as a MGS Forum Tester for the Nippon Modus3 Tour 115 steel shafts and they REALLY improved the performance of the T200’s. 

Because I'm never completely satisfied even when hitting my well - I started reading about the new offerings in 2022 - including the

TaylorMade Stealth. 

A lot of good press around these irons, and favorable reviews from many of my frequented websites and youtube channels.  The tip of the bucket for me came with the MGS Most Wanted GI Irons Review. 

image.png

Not only did the TaylorMade Stealth Irons take the Most Wanted top honor, but they did so with a large margin:

BEST-DRIVER-FOR-MID-SWING-SPEED.png

However, one thing I was surprised about – is that there wasn’t a lot of traction on the forum for these irons.  It caused me pause as to why these irons would be rated so highly in performance tests across the web, but I was hard pressed to find anybody playing them, including my fellow MGS forum members.  This conundrum actually intrigued me and pushed me even more to see what these irons were all about.

image.png

image.png

image.png

But could I play a true GI?

At least with the T200's there was a short blade and it is a forged club.  It has a thin-ish top line and minimal offset compared to other 3rd level offerings (My own tier designations: 1st Level - Players, 2nd Level - Players Distance, 3rd Level – Not Quite Game Improvement, 4th Level – Game Improvement, 5th and 6th Level Super Game Improvement). 

But the Stealth is cast – where would the “feel” come from? 

image.png

And a thicker top line with more offset – how could I look at that for 18 holes? 

image.png

And lofts even stronger than my PD T200’s – how would I hope to stop an even LOWER lofted 6 iron on the green? 

image.png

Not to mention the wider sole (though my T200’s were significantly wider on the sole than any of my previous MB’s by a long shot) – how would my swing react to the turf interaction of a beefy bottom line?

image.png

I decided that my ego may have been getting in the way for too long.  And I committed to giving the GI Stealth an open minded test.  After doing an ad-hoc fitting at my local shop, I opted for the standard 5-GW set in the stock KBS Max MT85 steel in regular flex – which is much lighter than the Nippon Modus3 Tour 115’s I have in my T200’s (and I have loved since installing them for the MGS test earlier this year).

To say I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Stealth irons would be a HUGE understatement.

The Look.

Yes, they are a bit chunkier to look at than the series of butter knives I have had in my bag over the years.  But to be honest, with the brushed steel and the sleek (and neutral colored) cap back – these have a blade-ish look to them.  It didn’t take me very long to get over the thicker top line, and even the increased offset.  After a few swings… I was too busy watching high flying launches to pay any attention to what the clubhead looked like.  If I focused on the club behind the ball, the differences are evident to a players iron… but it isn’t nearly as off-putting as I expected them to be.  From every angle, it is a confidence inspiring club.

The Feel.

In my opinion, this is one of the shining successes of this iron.  Moving from the cap back design of the T200, I expected a bit of click when I hit these – as that was my experience with the T200’s.  In fact when moving from the graphite shaft induced “clack” to the Nippon steel shaft “click” I was almost forgetting what a purely struck forged blade felt like.  Then I hit the Stealth.  Not Butter Blade feel, but powerfully solid feel (and as discussed at length on the forum… solid SOUNDING – which is a large factor in the “feel” experienced by golfers).  Be it sound or actual feedback into the hands… these irons are the equivalent of barreling up a fastball with a Louisville Slugger. S-O-L-I-D. 

The Performance.

From my first swings with the TaylorMade Stealth irons at the hitting bay at my local golf shop, to my first range session with the new sticks, and on to the course for situational play – all I can say is these irons are performers.  I found extra distance – which was nice and somewhat expected with the stronger lofts than I’m used to playing – but more importantly, that extra distance came in the form of higher launch, and more carry distance.  If anything, when compared to my T200’s, my roll-out distance decreased largely due to the higher apex, and steeper angle of descent into the landing area… but that landing area was 10-15 yards further than the T-200’s.  More carry and slightly less roll out netted me about 10 yards total improvement between like numbered clubs. 

I know what you are thinking… or getting ready to type in response to my last statement… “great, the Stealth 8 iron is 10 yards longer for you than the T200 8 iron, but the loft is more like the T200 7 iron”.  I don’t disagree with that statement – pertaining to loft.  What I would disagree with is the shot shape profile.  The Stealth 8 iron flies the distance of a T200 7 iron… with the shot shape profile of the T200 9 iron.  And that is what I was most surprised about.

I attribute the improved launch and descent profile to the technology built into the Stealth Irons.  From the MGS Blog Review:

CAP BACK TOE WRAP

According to TaylorMade, 72 percent of all iron shots occur at the center of the face or lower.

“We want to place iron performance where the game-improvement golfer needs it,” says TaylorMade irons chief Matt Bovee. “That means we need to drive the center of gravity down in the clubface because where the CG goes, the sweet spot follows.”

TaylorMade started driving the CG down in last year’s SIM2 lineup with Cap Back Technology. It’s essentially a hollow-body design but instead of a steel “cap” closing off the hollow body, TaylorMade developed a low-density polymer cap that’s nearly eight times lighter than steel. That weight savings helped push SIM2’s CG lower compared to the original SIM.

Toe Wrap Construction attacks another area of wasted mass. TaylorMade is carving up to 10 grams of steel out of the high toe area. The polymer cap is then extended into the void to replace that mass. The result is a CG that’s nearly a full millimeter lower. That may not sound like a lot but it’s enough to make a difference, especially with strong-lofted GI irons.

“We’ve carved away a large chunk of mass,” says Bovee. “We’ve repositioned that mass from high on the clubface to down low in the sole … That’s critical for creating that high launch and forgiveness that’s so important to game-improvement irons.”

All that being said, where all the marketing jargon and tech injections matter is on the course – hitting shots into the green, and how my score is impacted, and probably more importantly, my confidence with an iron in my hand. 

These irons are FUN to hit.  I have confidence across the entire set (5 iron to PW – in testing head to head, I decided to keep my Vokey 50 degree SM9 in the bag over the Stealth 49 degree GW for finesse inside 100 yards), and with the improved launch and carry I am seeing – I’m hitting more greens – and I am able to take more aggressive lines to tight pins guarded by green front water of sand traps requiring a more exact carry distance and a shot that stops quickly on the green. 

Aside from one round that I cost myself an avalanche of penalty strokes with my driver (iron game was good), the range of my last 15 scores – all with the Stealth has been between 75 and 82 - and if anything the Stealth irons helped me save some potentially worse scored due to other clubs (yes putter, I'm talking to you) in the bag.  

It is difficult to compare set to set, especially when they are set up differently.  The improved performance I am seeing in my own game may be in the new Stealth tech, it may be in the fact that this is my first foray into a true GI club and all the advantages that brings a slower swinger such as myself, it may be in the weight difference between or the kick profile between the shafts in each set, or it may be all of the above and then some… but what this particular setup has given me is a game more reminiscent of my younger playing days, coming out of my 53 year old body. 

While it is a stretch to call any TaylorMade offering a “hidden gem”, especially when the Stealth Driver was one of the most talked about releases in recent history.  But maybe the fact that a matching iron set to a driver release is widely panned as a bandwagon offering by manufacturers.  Whatever the reason the Stealth irons have not garnered more focus and play – I have found these irons are the real deal.

image.png

============================================

20220909_091.jpg  ~GolfSpy_TCB

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

44 minutes ago, gmmiddle said:

Great review. At the edge of 60 I’m trying to convince myself to try something more forgiving.  This was a good push. 

Thank you... it was definitely an eye opener for me once I set aside my ego...haha.  There are a host of options out there... the Stealth was the one I tried... and I'm definitely not disappointed in the results.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Awesome write up Tim and glad that these have seemingly hit a sweet spot for you. I wish I could see your game in person to see the irons in action, however I am just happy that these are doing what they should be doing for you and helping you enjoy the game a little more!

Here is to continued success moving forward!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Awesome write up Tim and glad that these have seemingly hit a sweet spot for you. I wish I could see your game in person to see the irons in action, however I am just happy that these are doing what they should be doing for you and helping you enjoy the game a little more!

Here is to continued success moving forward!

Thanks Jamie,

If you saw my game in person you would probably say to yourself "how is he a 5?"  haha.  I ask myself that often.  

Seriously though, I decided to go down this path for my own education on what technology can really do for me, and it has brought a lot of options into the picture for me going forward. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Awesome stuff Tim!  I like to think that I wouldn't get along with "chunky" game improvement irons, but the Forged Tec were bigger than my AP2's were prior and I've been really appreciating the difference in forgiveness in the 5 and 6 irons, and the slightly larger footprint doesn't bother me at all.

The only issue I ever find with GI style clubs (I remember this from trying out @Lacassem PING G710 irons during his official review) is that the wedges can feel too hot for me around the green.  I mean, I even prefer using my 52* MIM Black wedge over the set GW in my irons.  Or if the offset it too much I just don't like that look, but it's less about toplines and sole width for me. 

From what I can see the stealth's look like a really nice package!  I'll be interested to see how you do with them! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Awesome stuff Tim!  I like to think that I wouldn't get along with "chunky" game improvement irons, but the Forged Tec were bigger than my AP2's were prior and I've been really appreciating the difference in forgiveness in the 5 and 6 irons, and the slightly larger footprint doesn't bother me at all.

The only issue I ever find with GI style clubs (I remember this from trying out @Lacassem PING G710 irons during his official review) is that the wedges can feel too hot for me around the green.  I mean, I even prefer using my 52* MIM Black wedge over the set GW in my irons.  Or if the offset it too much I just don't like that look, but it's less about toplines and sole width for me. 

From what I can see the stealth's look like a really nice package!  I'll be interested to see how you do with them! 

Thanks Bryan,

I agree with your comment about less than full shots around the green, great take on that.   I touched on it a little in my write-up.  Full swings... no issue, but the 100 yard and in shots are much better attacked with a specialty wedge opposed to the set options in my opinion, I found them too hard to control my distances around the green.  The largest thing I had to overcome was the offset, initially feeling like I would pull hook everything... but then I realized, I was setting up a little closed with my less offset irons anyway, so one of my epiphany moments came when I squared up the club face and let the offset do it's job.  

I plan to chart my progress with these irons as I play them more... at least until my next "new favorite club" comes along 😉.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Great write up Tim. Reminds me of the speedblades I used to have and then convinced myself to ditch for a cleaner looking iron. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I'm enjoying the write-up so far, Tim. Like you, it blows my mind we haven't seen more chatter here about the Stealth irons. I guess the driver has taken all the thunder from them with the carbon face. 

I think they're really good looking, especially for a game improvement iron. TaylorMade did a wonderful job hiding all the tech behind the carbon badge on the back and I bet they look good in the bag.

I'm going to give this thread a follow, I'll be excited to see how they perform for you in your quest to get better. 

6 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Great write up Tim. Reminds me of the speedblades I used to have and then convinced myself to ditch for a cleaner looking iron. 

Thanks VG.  Yes, they do have that Speedblade look to them. Honestly, most iron releases have fingerprints from one historical iron set or another... except the Cleveland VAS... they are in a league of their own... haha!!  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm enjoying the write-up so far, Tim. Like you, it blows my mind we haven't seen more chatter here about the Stealth irons. I guess the driver has taken all the thunder from them with the carbon face. 

I think they're really good looking, especially for a game improvement iron. TaylorMade did a wonderful job hiding all the tech behind the carbon badge on the back and I bet they look good in the bag.

I'm going to give this thread a follow, I'll be excited to see how they perform for you in your quest to get better. 

Thanks SirC!  That was really the most shocking thing to me... in the weeks and weeks after the Most Wanted review came out, I was expecting to see some forum talk about them, but there was maybe one or two that mentioned the Stealth, but only in passing.  I'm sure they are in someone's bag out there other than mine, but they aren't talking about them... yet.    I think I'm past the honeymoon period, and I still have stars in my eyes - I will keep sharing my experience with them on this thread.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Went to the range today with full intent of utilizing the TopTracer, but I couldn't get it to recognize my shots inside the sessions.  Impatient as I am, I put my phone away and decided to eyeball my distances.  The trip to the range was specific to compare three irons with each other.  

• TaylorMade Stealth - KBS MT85 reg.
  • Titleist T200 - Nippon Modus3 Tour 115
  • Mizuno Pro 221 - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105

I did a little preliminary research and found that the lofts are close - though the numbers on the clubs are not (not unexpected).  So I took my full set of Stealths, along with the T200 8 iron and the Mizuno 221 7 iron.

• Stealth 9 iron - 37 degrees
  • Titleist T200 8 iron - 35 degrees
  • Mizuno Pro 221 7 iron - 34 degrees

I mentioned above that one of my concerns with the GI club was the thick top line and offset.  And in general play - I either don't notice as much as I thought, or quickly get over it.  When lining the clubs up against each other in real time, and cycling through the clubs while hitting shots - much more evident and harder to get past the look.  

What I found was I subconsciously was holding off the GI Stealth and releasing the T200 and even moreso the MP221... resulting in shots that were blocked, straight, and pulled respectively.  Especially in the first few swings after switching between the models.  

The other thing I noticed was the carry distances between these three clubs were similar - but the launch angle and descent angle was different, causing differences in roll out.  Now there is a 3 degree difference between the stealth and MP 221, so I would expect there to be a lower trajectory and more rollout, which is what I got... however the Stealth, even with it being 3/4 club higher lofted (3 degrees compared to 4 degrees... estimation) it was carrying the same distance as the MP221.

I was not surprised to find that the forged blade feel made me fall in love with those irons all over again.  I hit some non-centered shots, and I was made immediately aware of them in my hands, and yes the resulting shot was impacted.  Hard to tell if there was a difference in mis-hit performance with the T200 or worse with the Stealth, because even mis-hits don't feel that bad - to the point I really can't tell if I am "a little" on the toe or thin with the Stealth.  And therein lies the advantage of the GI club.  Forgiveness on mis-hits.  

More to follow based on my session today, but between the three clubs today, all were about 135 in carry, with the MP221 rolling out to 150, the T200 8 iron rolling out to 140, and the Stealth pretty much stopping on the number.  I can game any of these three sets and be happy with them... The MP221 would take a little work to find the right clubs to fill the gap between the 5 iron and my hybrid because it is about 2 clubs shorter than the Stealth 5 iron.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Here are a few pics of the three clubs I was comparing today... the thing that surprises me the most is the length of the Mizuno Pro 221 compared to the T200.  Titleist touted the shorter blade length... I guess they really meant it!!  

In order: Mizuno Pro - Titleist T200 - TaylorMade Stealth (pardon the grooves, I didn't get a chance to clean them after my range session.)

image.jpeg

Same order as above - top to bottom: 

image.jpeg

If I have to tell you which is which - send me an IM and I'll put you in touch with a good optometrist 🤣:

image.jpeg

You can really see the blade length in this pic (interestingly... much less visible from the top view) and look at the offset differences!!  (left to right: Stealth - T200 - MP221):

image.jpeg

Now granted, we are talking about different "numbers" and the lower the club number, the longer the blade could be... but also consider that these are similar lofts (within 3 degrees).  

Not sure what this all means... but there it is. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

The Main Blog site just posted their detailed review of the TaylorMade Stealth Irons yesterday...  Interesting to see what similartities and differences I found with my personal testing compared to HQ!

https://mygolfspy.com/taylormade-stealth-iron-review/

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

What a great write up!  If you don’t mind my asking, what is your 7 iron club head speed and do you think of yourself as a high ball hitter or low or medium?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

4 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

What a great write up!  If you don’t mind my asking, what is your 7 iron club head speed and do you think of yourself as a high ball hitter or low or medium?

Thanks HD!

My 7 iron swing speed is right about 79-80 mph average and consider myself a mid flight hitter, though the TM Stealth - when I'm make the best contact and my swing is in sync... I border on a high ball hitter (but I think that has to do more with my faulty technique than anything).  What I mean is my default swing adds loft through the swing (flipping at the bottom rather than pure compression of the ball).  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 1 year later...

I was recently fitted at Club Champion.  I previously had the Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pros.  I don't play a whole lot so looking for something a little more forgiving.  The Cobra Aerojet was the longest, Paradym X had the best feel, Ping 430 was straighest, but Stealths was the best mixture of all.  I went with Stealths and C Taper shaft.  I love them and i hit these much better than my previous set. 

Woo Pig

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks HD!
My 7 iron swing speed is right about 79-80 mph average and consider myself a mid flight hitter, though the TM Stealth - when I'm make the best contact and my swing is in sync... I border on a high ball hitter (but I think that has to do more with my faulty technique than anything).  What I mean is my default swing adds loft through the swing (flipping at the bottom rather than pure compression of the ball).  

Let’s hear it for my fellow impact wrist flippers! Although I’m finally working with a swing coach to fix it, along with a new Hackmotion waiting for me at home.

Great write up Tim. Really enjoyed it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder