Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron Suggestions - For Senior Golfer

Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

Hi folks:

My dad is 86 and has been talking about getting new irons for a while. Historically, he tends to gravitate toward Callaway and Cobra brands, but would not say he's brand loyal. He's very reluctant to go for $1K+ for big brand new irons, so I was hoping this community could give me a few ideas on higher quality value brands/models, that he might be able to get into for around $80-$120/club. He is definitely interested in fitting and has always played extra length (he's 6'3") and want to make sure he gets right weight/flex shaft. As a younger man he played to +/- 5 Hcp and he still hits the ball solid with a crazy good shart game.

Any suggestions appreciated. 

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

I am almost 72 and recently got fit for Titleist T300 irons with Fubuki MV Senior shafts.  So far they are doing great.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Check out Sub 70. They have very affordable high quality irons. They have sets for all skill levels. They are great people to work with. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

If you have a PXG fitter near by, check out the 0211 XCOR2 irons. They’re $119 per club when you buy 5 or more. Sub 70 is a great suggestion. 
I play with an 84 year old low handicapper who has switched to Cobra hybrid irons and is glad he did. I don’t know how much they go for but used ones should be available in his price range. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

13 hours ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Hi folks:

My dad is 86 and has been talking about getting new irons for a while. Historically, he tends to gravitate toward Callaway and Cobra brands, but would not say he's brand loyal. He's very reluctant to go for $1K+ for big brand new irons, so I was hoping this community could give me a few ideas on higher quality value brands/models, that he might be able to get into for around $80-$120/club. He is definitely interested in fitting and has always played extra length (he's 6'3") and want to make sure he gets right weight/flex shaft. As a younger man he played to +/- 5 Hcp and he still hits the ball solid with a crazy good shart game.

Any suggestions appreciated. 

At his age (God bless him) I’d go with an all hybrid set. Tour Edge, Wilson, Cleveland and Cobra all make them and he can get a 50g Senior shaft with the set. They’re so easy to elevate, and very forgiving. If it were my dad, I’d have him play a very high lofted driver, a 18* Cleveland Hy-wood (fantastic club for a Senior with a 40g Cypher shaft) and then once he decides on the iron set he likes, find out his gapping and how many irons he actually needs. With the hybrid sets he’s probably going to be fine with a 5, 7, 9, PW. Add a SW (he probably has one already) and a putter and he’s good to go.

The Hy-wood goes for about $219, and the irons are about $80-110 each depending on the brand he chooses. I believe Tour Edge is the least expensive?

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

On 9/29/2022 at 1:27 AM, Grand Stranded said:

At his age (God bless him) I’d go with an all hybrid set. Tour Edge, Wilson, Cleveland and Cobra all make them and he can get a 50g Senior shaft with the set. They’re so easy to elevate, and very forgiving. If it were my dad, I’d have him play a very high lofted driver, a 18* Cleveland Hy-wood (fantastic club for a Senior with a 40g Cypher shaft) and then once he decides on the iron set he likes, find out his gapping and how many irons he actually needs. With the hybrid sets he’s probably going to be fine with a 5, 7, 9, PW. Add a SW (he probably has one already) and a putter and he’s good to go.

The Hy-wood goes for about $219, and the irons are about $80-110 each depending on the brand he chooses. I believe Tour Edge is the least expensive?

Plus 1. Bought the XL Halo hybrid irons in a Sr shaft. They were much lighter and more flexible. But, I was able to get used to it and my thought was at the time of purchase, I am not getting any younger and I would grow into them. It just took one season. Love the Hy-Wood in the hybrid shaft. If money is a concern you can buy all of the hybrid irons used or prior gen. 

I'll add that I recently had a Maverick rental in a senior shaft while on vacation and that was very playable. Ordering through CPO is a steal. 

Edited by NC Golfer

If you can find a set of Mavrik Max irons in senior flex give 'em a try.

I'll also recommend the PXG 2021 0211 irons; the MMT shafts that come stock are great.

Final thought would be Ping 710 irons.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

• 3 weeks later...