TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver shafts

Anyone recommend a driver shaft? Swing speed Is 102mph plus, stiff shaft territitory, mid-high trajectory.

Want value for money , not break the bank. handicap is roughly 20.

Cleveland dst 10.5 diamana blue

Cleveland 3/5 wood/hybrid diamana red

Callaway x-24's hot 4-gap wedge

Titleist vokey 54/58

Pinfire blade prototype

I actually just bought a True Ace Blue Crush for $20 from Hireko. I'm going to put up a full review later this week, after I get some numbers to back up what I'm visually seeing. Visually though, the thing is a beast; it has a mid trajectory and just carries for miles. It's a $20 shaft that performs like a $200 shaft.

If you get a chance, try to post some launch monitor data from your current set up. It's tough to make a recommendation without that.

That said, my current favorite shaft is the Matrix RUL (though that shaft does live in the high rent district). I will be doing some MGS reviews of some more affordable shafts in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Would you put yourself in the slow/medium/fast tempo category?

The Blue crush is extremely stiff, so unless your SS is 102 with a fast tempo (for the R version), it is probably too stiff for your SS. I have around the same swing speed and currently use a True Ace Deathstick regular because I've been working on getting my tempo pretty slow. Just remember that the R/S/X marking mean almost nothing since some R shafts are as flexible as some X shafts.

Also, do you want to keep the same trajectory or lower it?

Hireko's DSFI listing is my bible for this sort of thing: http://support.hirekogolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2011SFAchapter5.pdf

That said, my current favorite shaft is the Matrix RUL (though that shaft does live in the high rent district). I will be doing some MGS reviews of some more affordable shafts in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled.

I don't know if you're taking any suggestions, but I'd like to see the True Ace Blue Crush and a Arthur Xcaliber Tour or Tour SL in those reviews. This Blue Crush is the real deal; 3.3* of torque in a 65g shaft, for only $20, thats impressive.

I don't know if you're taking any suggestions, but I'd like to see the True Ace Blue Crush and a Arthur Xcaliber Tour or Tour SL in those reviews. This Blue Crush is the real deal; 3.3* of torque in a 65g shaft, for only $20, thats impressive.

I'm always happy to take suggestions! We do have some things in the works with Robin Arthur. I will reach out to Hireko about getting some of their shafts in for review.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have two drivers with almost the same shafts. A Titleist 909D3 with a UST Proforce V2 Regular Flex, and a Callaway FT9 UST Proforce V2 Stiff Flex. Now my swing speed is 104, but I have a very smooth tempo and change at the top. The theory is that you play the weakest flex you can control. I hit both of these straight. however, I hit the Stiff at least 15 yards further than the regular. Sometimes 25 yards. Oh Yeah, the regular flex is 1" longer. I am sure this is more of a spin issue than anything else. I think I will change the shafts around and see how it works out.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

There are several shafts out there comparable and that can bring launch up or take it down as well as cutting spin, but without any numbers, it's going to be tough to give any recommendations.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have similar stats and use the Fujikura Max, 56 gram, stiff shaft. Hope this helps.

Anyone recommend a driver shaft? Swing speed Is 102mph plus, stiff shaft territitory, mid-high trajectory.

Want value for money , not break the bank. handicap is roughly 20.

Cleveland dst 10.5 diamana blue

Cleveland 3/5 wood/hybrid diamana red

Callaway x-24's hot 4-gap wedge

Titleist vokey 54/58

Pinfire blade prototype

• 2 months later...

I know this post is kinda old but as long as its back ill say this:

Like you, I have a handicap around a 20 and have a swing-speed around 107 and I use a Graphite Design YS-6+ Stiff and it really allows me to attack the ball. I've never been happier with another shaft. You can get it for under $100 in some places.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I have two drivers with almost the same shafts. A Titleist 909D3 with a UST Proforce V2 Regular Flex, and a Callaway FT9 UST Proforce V2 Stiff Flex. Now my swing speed is 104, but I have a very smooth tempo and change at the top. The theory is that you play the weakest flex you can control. I hit both of these straight. however, I hit the Stiff at least 15 yards further than the regular. Sometimes 25 yards. Oh Yeah, the regular flex is 1" longer. I am sure this is more of a spin issue than anything else. I think I will change the shafts around and see how it works out.

Since I posted this I recieved a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7. By killing my spin issue I gained serious yardage. The Tour AD DI certainly does not fit into the $100 catagory but killing the spin can do wonders for you game. I am working on that with the irons now.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I'm still head over heels with my Aldila Rip'd NV. Picked it up for a song on ebay. I've got a RIP beta in my 3 wood and absolutely loving it as well. I bought them both thru Golfvortex. They're directly associated with Tour Edge and everything is authentic. Just my 2 cents but what works for some won't work for everyone.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Archived