Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

When did you give up on traditional fairway woods? What was your ultimate replacement?

vandyland

I have a 55 yard gap at the top of my bag between my driver (260 yds on a good strike) and my 4hybrid (205 yds on a good strike). I have tried to fill this gap with the following:

Cobra 3W (15*)
Callaway Epic 4W (16*)
Off brand 3W (16*)
Taylormade Rescue Fairway (from 2003 thereabouts) (17*)
Taylormade Sim Max 2 5W (18*)

None of these have proven to be reliable so I have been playing with this gap in my bag for the last few months. It has been largely fine. I have been tempted by the King Tec Hybrid and the Callaway UW but I know those will likely be a road to nowhere. Have others given up on fairway woods entirely? How do you fill (or not fill) that spot in your bag? Utility irons? Strong lofted hybrids? Crossovers?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Love higher lofted fairway woods and even will throw a longer shaft in them to cover a distance off the deck. My driver is there to go as far as possible. My fairway woods are setup in my bag to cover a distance off the deck. 

I asked this question in a thread sometime back but why care what the gap is between driver and next longest club in the bag for anything other than off the tee.

What are you trying to use a fairway wood for and what issue(s) are you having with them

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’m trying to advance the ball more than 200 yds on a par 5. So basically I am looking for a club that goes 220-230 yds which I think I would use 2-3 times per round.

The main issue I have is I hit weak shots off to the right or almost top them at times. I probably flush a fwy wood 1 out of 4 times hence why I don’t carry one.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

10 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I’m trying to advance the ball more than 200 yds on a par 5. So basically I am looking for a club that goes 220-230 yds which I think I would use 2-3 times per round.

The main issue I have is I hit weak shots off to the right or almost top them at times. I probably flush a fwy wood 1 out of 4 times hence why I don’t carry one.

Based on the hybrid being 205 on a good strike I doubt something like a utility/driver iron is going to get you want you need.

This would seem like a swing or ball placement issue with long clubs. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

If your miss is a weak fade, hybrids seem like the best choice considering your club head speed is around 95-100 based on driver distance. I use a 19 deg 3 H for that 220-230 distance gap. Something between 17-19 deg of loft should get you aroudn that number. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

My 3W and 3H are my least reliable clubs, but I’d never give up on my 3W. I hit my driver and 3H about the same as the OP, my 3W is good for 220-235 when I hit it square. I can’t think of anything that will really replace a 3W.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I still carry 1 fairway wood, an 18.5 degreree 5 wood turned down to 17 degrees so basically a 4 wood. I love my 4 hybrid and tried the matching 3 hybrid, but I could not get the launch I needed out of it, so it didn't go any further than the 4 hybrid.  You have more clubhead speed than I do, so I wouldn't be surprised if a 3 hybrid would work in that spot for you.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 (Testing)
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

The more I think about it, I am probably just chasing a problem that doesn't really exist. I score pretty well as is and when I make mistakes it generally isn't from not being able to reach par 5s in 2. Typically I lose most of my shots on longer par 3s and 4s. If I bogey a par 5 it is typically the result of a bad drive rather than not advancing the ball far enough on my 2nd shot. This will kick around in the back of my head for a while but I should probably try to go a few months without buying a new club. So I am back to an 11 club bag of clubs that I trust:

Driver - Cobra Radspeed Xb 10.5 - carries about 250
4hyb - Pinhawk 20* one length hybrid - carries about 200
5i-PW - Ben Hogan PTxPro 
GW - Ben Hogan Equalizer II 50*
LW - Ping Glide 4.0 58*
PT - LAB DF 2.1 34"

The only thing I can think of that MAY be an option... and RB eluded to it above.... is a 7 wood with a 5wood or even 3 wood shaft.  It is going to give you help off the fairway, and it should carry farther than the 4 hybrid with the longer shaft installed.  Other than that as a possible option, the comments above about the driver to hybrid in the setup are spot on if you have trouble with the fairways off the deck. 

I have the opposite problem.  I have a bag FULL of fairways.  I hit them all better than my long irons and sometimes my hybrids, even the 3 wood.  My issue is my bag is all compressed with my ~220 carry driver.  I currently have my 7 wood in the on deck circle, but it will be making its way into the line up again very soon.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:04 AM, vandyland said:

I have a 55 yard gap at the top of my bag between my driver (260 yds on a good strike) and my 4hybrid (205 yds on a good strike). I have tried to fill this gap with the following:

Cobra 3W (15*)
Callaway Epic 4W (16*)
Off brand 3W (16*)

None of these have proven to be reliable so I have been playing with this gap in my bag for the last few months. It has been largely fine. I have been tempted by the King Tec Hybrid and the Callaway UW but I know those will likely be a road to nowhere. Have others given up on fairway woods entirely? How do you fill (or not fill) that spot in your bag? Utility irons? Strong lofted hybrids? Crossovers?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 55y gap.If you ave say 240 on your driver and 200 on your hybrid...I Don't see an issue...its all about position and strike.Personally, I feel you have too many duplicated clubs in your setup. I would try and play with a TMR (17*) as your go to club for distance and accuracy.If you are hitting the hybrid 200...you don't need a 3w.Then change the shaft on one of the others to replicate a 20*...try that and see ?

I would give a higher lofted fairway wood a try.  Of the ones you mentioned, I only saw one 5W.  I carry my driver between 240-260 depending on the day.  I have a 3W, and for me that's about a 220-230 carry off the tee.  I can't reliably hit it off the deck though, so I don't even try.  I had all but given up on ever playing a fairway wood off the actual fairway until I tried a 7W.  For me it was the answer on long par 5s, or any approach over 200 really.  I carry mine around 205-210.  It's super easy to hit off the fairway, and it gives me a lot of confidence.  If it's a longer shot that 215, I just accept that I won't be able to get there.  As others have said, you could throw a longer shaft in it, or even turn it down a degree or two to make sort of a 6W.  I think you'd have a lot better luck than with a 3W.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

Why not just go with a 2 hybrid ??

Driver , Taylormade Sim2 10.5, Hzrds black 6.0

3Wood, Taylormade R15, Hzrds blank 5.5

3Hybrid, Taylormade SLDR, Stock stiff shaft

Irons, 4 - P Callaway Apex 19 stiff tour elevate 

Wedges, 48, 52, 59 Vokey SM 6

Ball, Prov1x

You'll need the right FW wood or Hybrid and the shaft that optimizes a higher launch. Two things to consider. Try a softer shaft R vs S and try a softer tip shaft. One with a low kick point. Without getting too technical, find a wood/hy that has the weight toward the back of the club. Once you start hitting the ball in the air, your carry distance will increase and your renewed confidence will fix a lot of flaws.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

On 10/3/2022 at 6:04 PM, vandyland said:

Cobra 3W (15*)
Callaway Epic 4W (16*)
Off brand 3W (16*)

I had a similar issue for years until I tried a short er shaft in my 3 wood.  I took an inch off the butt end of my 3 wood and it was like magic I started striping it.  Before I cut it down I started hitting it chocked down.  It was an improvement but I have such big hands I can't choak down enough but I could tell I was on the right track.  After cutting it down I could still chock down some if needed.  

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

On 10/3/2022 at 9:37 PM, vandyland said:

Go get fit.  Sometimes it’s the club doesn’t fit your swing and you should be looking at a different brand.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

6 minutes ago, Shinnman said:

Go get fit.  Sometimes it’s the club doesn’t fit your swing and you should be looking at a different brand.  

Or at least a different shaft.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

19 minutes ago, Shinnman said:

That is probably the answer. I did extensive "testing" when I bought new irons which involved demoing like 8 different sets of irons (over 3 different range sessions) hitting them off actual grass on a range with a trackman. I don't quite have that luxury at the moment since I no longer have easy access to a trackman. But I still think hitting them off of real grass is the answer. Unfortunately most fitters in the area use indoor, turf bays and I find I can get away with a heavy strike off a turf mat. Better than nothing I guess.

I am leaning towards testing lower lofted hybrids (17-18*) and maybe 7 woods or utility woods. A lot of options out there but I am quite confident a traditional 3 wood is not going to work for me.  

5 minutes ago, vandyland said:

maybe 7 woods

just sayin'

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

This year I started gaming the Callaway utility wood which is a cross between a hybrid and a 3 wood. I purchased this club for something "safer" off the tee and to have a better success rate than my 3 wood off the fairway. I have to say this club is my favorite in the bag and has made my 3 wood irrelevant. It also works wonders out of the rough. I would really consider testing this club out because if you hit your 4 hybrid 205 you can get this club at 19* (hybrid 3 loft) and should be able to get to 220+. Thats a great par 5 club distance as well as a more conservative/strategic tee shot. 

-Z-

• Callaway - Epic MAX LS Midnight Edition - Tensi Orange Pro CK series
  • Callaway - UW 19*
  • Mizuno - Pro Fli Hi 4 Iron 
  • Mizuno JPX - Hot Metal Pros -5,6
  • Mizuno - Pro 225 - 7,8,9,PW
  • Mizuno - T22 - 50*, 54*, 58*
  • Titilest - Vokey SM9 - 62*
  • Odyssey - Tri-Hot 5K Three Putter
  • PRO V 1X

Oh the old 3 wood issue! When I had my son and stopped playing as much this same problem crept into my game. (big left miss for me). I tried quite a bit to fill that 14th spot in the bag:

• I built a 7.5 deg 5 wood length driver (I didn't necessarily need a club for going for par 5's or laying up, needed more of that "3 wood length" off the tee) and loved it for stroke play. 
    • I do play a decent amount of match play/team best ball where I want that 250 option to go for the green though, so that club was out
  • Sub 15 deg hybrid - I tried 2 of these, both adams (an XTD and a Insight XTD hybrid fairway) At less the $50 to try it was worth a shot. I liked them both but I didn't get much more out of them then my driving iron so I kept looking
    • I would recommend this you give this a shot, I shortened them about .5 of an inch and liked it. for the purpose of just getting one down the fairway, they are a good option.
  • I'll spare you the details, but I tried quite a few fairway woods from 18 - 15 deg at various lengths, styles, etc. 

The fix for me:

• A 3 wood! lol. A mizuno st200 15 deg set at 14. The key was Swingweight. When I set it to D6 the big left miss was gone and the club now has a solid place in my bag. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

3 wood - Mizuno 15 deg (@14) ST200 - Tensei Blue X flex

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

5 iron -  Mp18 MMC Fli Hi - Modus 105x - 7 iron length

Irons - (PW - 6) JPX 900 tour - Modus 105x (6 iron is 7 iron length) 

Wedges (50,55) - Vokey SM7

Wedge (60) Callaway PM Grind        

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

Absolutely, could be the shaft as well.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

I too, used to struggle off the deck with fairway woods. I could tee it up all day, and it would be fine. But couldn’t really consistently hit one off the deck. Around 5/6 yrs ago, I switched to a 3HL. Best decision I’ve ever made. Can hit it off the tee & from the fairway. I’m fairly long, so don’t really need it all that often, but when I do, it’s money. I’m playing the TM M3HL. I think it’s lofted at 17°, but I have it turned down to 16°. I seen where you tried the 4wd option earlier. I tried a Cally XR16 4wood. For whatever reason, idk if it was the shallow face or what, I struggled off the tee with it. Off the deck was fine though. Tried the M3HL at a demo day & haven’t looked back. Turned 2 of my buddies into 3HL players now as well. Albeit they’re playing TSR3 16.5 & a stealth HL. If you’re happing with your scoring the way your bag is now, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Or at least a different shaft.

5 minutes ago, Shinnman said:

Absolutely, could be the shaft as well.

While it’s possible unless he is in a bad fit of a shaft it won’t make as much difference as golfers expect. 

Difficulty with hitting woods or hybrids off the deck is typically a swing issue. Based on the OPs swing he posted not long ago he has similar swing issues I face and it makes hitting lower lofted clubs harder. Typically suggestion would be to use a higher lofted wood but as the OP posted he has tried some 18° woods with no success. This leads it to probably be more of a swing/technique issue 

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While it’s possible unless he is in a bad fit of a shaft it won’t make as much difference as golfers expect. 
Difficulty with hitting woods or hybrids off the deck is typically a swing issue. Based on the OPs swing he posted not long ago he has similar swing issues I face and it makes hitting lower lofted clubs harder. Typically suggestion would be to use a higher lofted wood but as the OP posted he has tried some 18° woods with no success. This leads it to probably be more of a swing/technique issue 

I agree, that's why I noted earlier the OP could probably learn to hit a 3W. My shaft reply was in only response to someone who suggested a different brand - brand and shaft are less likely as causes for the OPs issues with fairway woods IMO. I seriously doubt brand alone would change anything...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

39 minutes ago, Middler said:

I agree, that's why I noted earlier the OP could probably learn to hit a 3W. My shaft reply was in only response to someone who suggested a different brand - brand and shaft are less likely as causes for the OPs issues with fairway woods IMO. I seriously doubt brand alone would change anything...

Correct neither will probably make a difference. The problem is more than likely face control issue. Not able to get it square or holds off to avoid the hook/pull. 

This type of issue gets worse with longer clubs as it becomes harder to get the face square with a steep downswing and room for the arms to swing. Changing the brand won’t change that

On 10/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, vandyland said:

Cobra 3W (15*)
Callaway Epic 4W (16*)
Off brand 3W (16*)

Simple answer to your question is that I did NOT give up on fairway woods at all. Just the opposite in fact. I currently carry 4 fairway wood in my bag. 3-9. This gives me a nice 15 yard gap between all my clubs, from driver down to LW. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Correct neither will probably make a difference. The problem is more than likely face control issue. Not able to get it square or holds off to avoid the hook/pull. 

This type of issue gets worse with longer clubs as it becomes harder to get the face square with a steep downswing and room for the arms to swing. Changing the brand won’t change that

And on second thought, it appears the issue is not with the brand/shaft or club - as the OP has used quite a few different clubs. It's more likely a swing issue of some kind, or a mental block? WADR I know quite a few players who have one or several clubs they're convinced they can't hit, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I don't like my 3H, but I refuse to give up on it, I know my problem is not the club itself. When I catch it right, it fills a gap in my bag, it's up to me to figure out how to do it more consistently...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

And on second thought, it appears the issue is not with the brand/shaft or club - as the OP has used quite a few different clubs. It's more likely a swing issue of some kind, or a mental block? WADR I know quite a few players who have one or several clubs they're convinced they can't hit, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I don't like my 3H, but I refuse to give up on it, I know my problem is not the club itself. When I catch it right, it fills a gap in my bag, it's up to me to figure out how to do it more consistently...

It could be a combo of the mental and swing as you mention about how the brain works.

The op doesn’t specifically say he has issues with hybrids but based on how he worded his post saying when he catches it good leads me to believe it’s a swing issue with longer clubs. He’s a five handicap so he’s able to navigate around the course pretty well but in another thread about his swing I recall he mentioned he has some rounds in the mid upper 80s so he has good and bad days.

He also posted about his swing on wrx and got some feedback there from some good people and they pointed out some of what I saw in his thread on mgs