Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

When did you give up on traditional fairway woods? What was your ultimate replacement?

vandyland

you might want to try a different shaft, one designed just for a faireay wood, and not for a driver.  All my woods have fairway wood shafts that weigh 85 grams and are made just for woods. You might want to try one and see if that helps. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The op doesn’t specifically say he has issues with hybrids but based on how he worded his post saying when he catches it good leads me to believe it’s a swing issue with longer clubs. He’s a five handicap so he’s able to navigate around the course pretty well but in another thread about his swing I recall he mentioned he has some rounds in the mid upper 80s so he has good and bad days.

This is all true. For the most part I have settled into less volatility since I shrunk my bag down to 11 clubs. I have that nagging thought in my head that I need a long range club between my 4hybrid and driver but with all the clubs I threw out in the initial post, none of those have gained strokes for me typically over just laying back. 

On WRX I have been getting help implementing the NTC swing from Monte and that (along with getting me to stop crowding the ball) has made me fall back in love with my 5iron. So for a long time I struggled with longer clubs (just from a length of the club perspective) but as I improve I guess I expected the fairway wood to improve as well but it hasn't. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I have a Callaway Rogue 7 wood 215 yds and 5 wood 230 yds.  My driver is around 260 on a good strike on firm fairway.  The 7 wood flies extremely high with a carry of around 200 yds.  The 5 wood is great for second shots on par 5 holes.  It has a respectable carry and a good rollout.  I struggle with it from the tee but am working to understand the changes needed to manage it from the tee.

Ping G430 Max Driver

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood

:callaway-small: Rogue 7 wood

:mizuno-small: Irons Hot Metal Pro 4 - G

:titleist-small: Wedges 52 and 56

:ping-small: Putter Fetch

Take lessons if a swing issue.  Watch swings with fairway woods on instagram after you take the lessons so you can equate to what you learned and identify what you are doing wrong then to make those changes.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

17 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

The hy-wood works well for me as a replacement club off the deck.

I am intrigued by the Hy-wood. I was reading the reviews on Golfwrx where they had a members testing run. I think it is getting short listed to try along with Callaway UW, Callaway Super Hybrid and similar clubs in the 17*-18* range. I don't think I can go much lower than that. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

6 hours ago, vandyland said:

I am intrigued by the Hy-wood. I was reading the reviews on Golfwrx where they had a members testing run. I think it is getting short listed to try along with Callaway UW, Callaway Super Hybrid and similar clubs in the 17*-18* range. I don't think I can go much lower than that. 

I like my hy-wood. The good shots are great and the mishits are playable. I have a senior shaft. Haven't hit the Callaways.  

• 2 months later...

Callaway Utility Wood. 

Honestly it’s a ridiculous club, teamed with a Tour AD DI 8X it’s probably the best club I’ve ever played. 

just want a 15 degree one now. 

*** Also learn to swing like Nelly Korda. Game changer from the deck. 

Edited by PankaGolf

"C'mon be good"