TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is the best set of irons made by Taylormade ?

Sparkee

... I think TaylorMade might be the most under appreciated iron OEM in golf. They have been making great irons for many years now. There never has been a "best" in golf equipment so this will be a subjective thread but if I had to pick just one, it would be the MC Forged irons. One of those sets in the "I should never have sold mine" category. I would select the P760's as the second best. If they had a clean cavity instead of those tiger like stripes I have to think they would have sold many more sets. And I would be remiss in not mentioning the P790's that were a real game changer with most of the OEM's now making their own players distance version. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

"Best" is very subjective, but I can address which TM iron model has been most popular for at least the last three years running, based on the work that I do at a fitting center that has a TaylorMade account, along with a few other OEM equipment accounts.  Far-and-away, the most popular, most requested iron set -- all manufacturers included -- and the irons that fit the most golfers, from low-handicappers to guys who play to a 15-20 handicap index (and golfers from 25 to 80 years old) is the P790.  Aside from the PGA Pro who owns the fitting center (he plays P760s), all three of the other teaching pros there play P790s.  In addition, I have seen excellent results from a wide selection of male golfers, as well as a couple female golfers, when fitted with the P790 irons.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I'll say these are the best set they've ever made.  

This was the turning point where TaylorMade became a preeminent brand on Tour.  Top players were choosing TM over Mizuno, Titleist and Ping as well some others in the graveyard of phenomenal brands (MacGregor, Wilson & Hogan).

Burner-Bubble-Tour.jpg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Literally so many different directions to go with this. I am going to take out the most recent releases for these as I do think they have done a stellar job with their new releases of irons. P790 are an incredible club for so many, p760 are some of my favourites from a size and shape with some tech. Then some irons that really stood out to me at the time for where I was in my golfing game was the RSI series, specifically the RSI 2. I really wanted these irons and are one set that I never ended up owning, but really wish I had. However the set for me that takes the cake are ... drum roll please!

Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 2014 - Tony Convey did an article on them way back in the day, however these were irons that just were stellar on all accounts for me and we even had a member review done on them way way back in the day!
https://mygolfspy.com/2014-taylormade-tour-preferred-irons/

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have not been a buyer of the TaylorMade brand over the years.  But I remember when the RAC forged irons came out and I thought they are gorgeous!!  Had my financial situation been in a different place, this story would probably include my playing those irons for several years as one of my favorites.  Before I was married, my "golf buddies" were two assistant pro's at my club and one played mizuno and the other played TaylorMade ICW 11's.  My Mizuno buddy was a better player, so subconsciously I gravitated from my Titleist DCI's in that direction - almost forever losing my path to TaylorMade.  

Recently, I purchased my first set of TaylorMade irons (Stealth), and I'm not saying they are the best irons TaylorMade has ever made (though they are eye opening... see my unofficial review in that thread), I believe that distinction belongs to the P790 - they stand at the top of the heap as far as changing the landscape of club manufacturing for all companies.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Ive never purchased TM irons at all. 
I played with a friend the other day that has the new P-790's and they were so nice to hit.

That said, I keep seeing a set of P-760's on the Global Golf Canada website and keep saying to myself if I could afford them, I'd  definitely play them. They are just so pricey.

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 3 HL

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g Stiff

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW - Stiff

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   default_taylormade-small.jpg.f51b0863b47c9f7d3e2ffc3583a5d3da.jpg  Spider S #1 Platinum/White

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize

Ball - Srixon Z-star.....Q-Star in Spring and Fall

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Literally so many different directions to go with this. I am going to take out the most recent releases for these as I do think they have done a stellar job with their new releases of irons. P790 are an incredible club for so many, p760 are some of my favourites from a size and shape with some tech. Then some irons that really stood out to me at the time for where I was in my golfing game was the RSI series, specifically the RSI 2. I really wanted these irons and are one set that I never ended up owning, but really wish I had. However the set for me that takes the cake are ... drum roll please!

Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 2014 - Tony Convey did an article on them way back in the day, however these were irons that just were stellar on all accounts for me and we even had a member review done on them way way back in the day!

I had TM RSI2 irons at one time, and I loved them.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I’m currently playing the 2014 Tour Preferred CBs - they kicked my PXGs out of the bag and that was only as an experiment. I love how they look and they are forgiving enough when I don’t have my game on the day.  It’s funny how technology opens some new doors but keeps plenty of older doors wide open as well.

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

Ive been a Taylormade iron guy for a while now.  Not mentioned but I think were one of the best game improvement in their day, were the Burners.  I got fitted for those when I couldn’t break 100 and they took me to the low 80’s.  Then I went to Tour Preferred MC, they were a bit too much for me so I then went with the Tour Preferred CB’s. Great Irons but still had to hit them consistent which was a weak area of my game.  Wrist and elbow injuries kept me from practicing enough to improve my ball striking.  Then came the 790’s and I dropped to single digit hp.  I’ve have the first edition and my iron game has improved so much.  I’m tempted to go with something smaller (player and ego driven) and since other manufacturers have seen the light there are a lot of players distance irons to choose from.  My golf coach has told me to never let anyone take the 790’s out of my bag.  

Driver Ping 410+ w/  TENSI orange 60 shaft stiff

Ping 3W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 5W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 4 Hybrid orange shaft stiff

Taylormade 790 5 -A irons w/ Aerotech Steelfiber I 95 stiff shafts

Titliest Wedges  SM7 - 54.14 F grind, 58.10 S grind 

Ping Ketcsh Putter

Arccos Sensors

Spoiler

So funny that just 2 out of the first 5-6 entries currently use TM irons.  I've had 2 sets of TM irons in my 32 years of playing, SpeedBlades and RSi2, both were complete garbage!  I'm so anti-TM that if I find a TP5 or TP5X, I throw it jn the water.  Let me explain... got fitted and purchased 2016 M1, awesome driver until the face caved in, I was given an M2 as a replacement, and the face dented also, another M2 replacement and that thing had some serious issues.  Whether it was a manufacturing issue or whatever, it felt, sounded and reacted like a 2nd grader built it, done with their drivers.  Not saying where I purchased it, but it's a prominent golf store in the Melbourne, FL area, didn't get it from ebay if anyone's wondering.  SpeedBlades, had one head fly off and the 4 iron, the insides of the cavity completely shattered, sounded like a second hand baby rattle.  Through a rep had them exchanged for the RSi2. Within 14-18 months, their much heralded speeds slots decided to extricate themselves from the heads, and the 4 iron face started to cave in.  With the cost of equipment today, no idea why ANYONE would buy TM when there's so many others, especially MIZUNO and SRIXON.  Guaranteed if Tiger, Rory, Morikawa, et al weren't paid handsomely, they wouldn't chose TM.  With that being said, wonder how many of those on any tour, would be playing what they do if they WERE NOT paid.  Just my opinion and experience, I can hear the TM fanboys lighting their torches and coming for my head.  Let the ripping begin...

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

2 sets I still have today, will never sell, both need re-shafting down to my current swing speed, R7TP & R9TP, I'm past my CC days, if I foray into a tourney that requires CC, I have post 2010 irons on hand, also need re-shafting.

R9 B stamps, gets my vote. Felt like butter, very playable, and somewhat forgiving. Have a buddy still playing them & has a backup set, for when the groves wear out on the current set. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

My TM M4’s are good - best irons I’ve ever had - but how would anyone really know “What is the best set of irons made by Taylormade” unless they’ve played numerous rounds with ALL the irons TM have ever made 🤔

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Cleveland RTX mid grind 50, 58, 56, 60

Oddysey Versa Sabretooth putter (as used by Inbee Park)

Bushnell Pro X3 Rangefinder 

Quote from  Mikedb26:

“Guaranteed if Tiger, Rory, Morikawa, et al weren't paid handsomely, they wouldn't chose TM.  With that being said, wonder how many of those on any tour, would be playing what they do if they WERE NOT paid.”

Really  Mike,  I don’t doubt your own experiences with irons but do you honestly think that Rory “world No2” would not have played “some other irons” if he thought that’s all he needed to do to win this years Open and the Dunhill last weekend!
I doubt he came off thinking “ide have won if it wasn’t for these damned irons” 🤔😂

Edited by Grasmere5

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

I have always played Ping. Never looked at TM. My wife bought me a new set of irons for my 70th birthday. I pick them up next week (ordered on 7/14/22)!. 
I went with the TM Stealth.Hopefully no one trashes them before I get to the course, haha!

Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 2014 were the best.

I had gotten my son the RAC oversized for his first set and he hit them great. Then moved into forged clubs.

Never hit any newer ones so can't comment on them.

Driver , Taylormade Sim2 10.5, Hzrds black 6.0

3Wood, Taylormade R15, Hzrds blank 5.5

3Hybrid, Taylormade SLDR, Stock stiff shaft

Irons, 4 - P Callaway Apex 19 stiff tour elevate 

Wedges, 48, 52, 59 Vokey SM 6

Ball, Prov1x

On 10/6/2022 at 9:21 PM, Sparkee said:

Hey you TM people ! What do you consider to be the best set of irons made by TM ?

So what do you think Sparkee after these few replies, are looking at getting TM’s 😉

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

I do own a set of TM Rocketballz with graphite senior shafts , also a set of Ping G30 reshafted with UST MAMIYA  Recoil Smac wrap reg flex shafts . A set of Callaway steelhead XR’s reshafted with UST MAMIYA recoil reg flex ( favourite set right now ) . I recently got my hands on a set of PXG pulls , Mitsubishi MMT A flex shafts . So in order to try the MMT shafts I went to our local golf emporium, Caddy Shed , and went through the used bin and found a TM R9 6 iron . I brought it home and promptly inserted the appropriate MMT shaft in it . I then set up my in garage hitting bay with my Voice caddy sc200 and did a comparison of my four 6 irons. It turns out that I hit them all in the low 160 yards except the R9 with the MMT shafts , it went in the mid 150 range . I really liked the look of the R9 at setup and I liked the feel of the shaft too . Well the tinkerer that I am is thinking about maybe hardstepping the MMT’s into a set of R9’s or whatever iron set shows up that I might like . But the next step is putting the 7 iron shaft in the R9 head with an extension to 6 iron length . 

I started playing golf at 14 ; my first set of irons were TaylorMade Tour Preferred TD's.  I played these beautiful blades all the way into college golf.  I currently swing i210's with Steel Fibers and love them.  But I do still have a set of TP TD's that I play with every once in awhile for fun.  I now work in the equipment industry so I do have the chane to try all the new irons, with the P790's  being my favorite from TM.

https://valueguide.pga.com/library/21517/taylormade/iron-set/tour-preferred-t-d/

Driver: Cobra LTDx with Project X Hzrdus Smoke IM10 60 Shaft

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max with Project X Evenflow Riptide 60 Shaft

Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Max

Irons: Ping i210s with Aerotech SteelFiber i95 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Various, but currently a 52° Cleveland, 56° TaylorMade and 60° Titleist

I switch out my wedges often depending on course conditions. Loft, Bounce and Make vary.

Putter: Odyssey ProType Series 7 Putter 33" Blacked Out

The Burner 2.0's when I bought them were so easy to hit, well balanced.  I played them for 10 years.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 1 month later...

This post has been open, but I'm just now stumbling across it, so I'll chime in...

I've been a Taylormade iron player, going back to the original Bubble Burner Oversize irons in the 90's.  I then went to RAC LT's, R7 CGB, Burner 2.0, M6 and most recently the P790 (2021).  I've also hit my son-in-law's the Rocketballz.  The R7 CGB was a incredibly long iron, with great forgiveness - but felt like a rock, the Burner 2.0 was probably my favorite iron due to good combination of distance and forgiveness, but again - didn't feel great.  The P790 is the total package, it's long, feels amazing and is surprisingly forgiving for a players distance iron.  I couldn't be happier with it and would definitely recommend it and say I've played enough of the models to have a somewhat experienced opinion.

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

• 4 months later...

Well, the p770’s are the best ever, cuz I use em… duhhhh

but kidding aside, I have a split set, with the 5 and 6 in the p790, and the 7 - gap in the p770’s. Shafts are the graphite in reg flex, and the clubs just rock…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I was always a fan of the TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC. 

I am gaming the newest P790 right now and they are quite the iron. I am also surprised at the true forgiveness they offer 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'm solidly in the P790 camp.  It's played on tour,  it's played by 20+ hdcps. It's good looking,  better performing.  Its so good.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Taylormade irons have always been a go-to for me. Since getting back into golf at full tilt now I knew I needed to get something I thought looked good at address and also had the opportunity to play different shots. I might be a black sheep here not falling into the p790 category as I found myself a pristine p760 iron set and fell in love! The feel is amazing, the distance control is phenomenal, and I love the look (others might say otherwise). For me I would love to try a combo set from TM but the cost is just too much. This set for me has the best of both worlds.

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg