Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kenny B's Hitting Bay

Kenny B

Well, the floor for the hitting bay is in except for the turf.  I ordered that yesterday from Big Moss; same putting turf used at Titleist and by Michael Breed.  I must give a shout-out to the guys at Big Moss... Kellen and Tony.  They were very friendly and helpful.  Here is the room waiting for the turf to get here...

IMG_7993.jpeg.ad23b7ca9254139b4b3e0dd6a3a17258.jpeg

The floor is concrete that I covered with interlocking 1/2" foam gym tiles 2'x2' and then 1" foam tiles 2'x2'.  The section where the screen is located is 12'x10'.  Then there is a 3' wide section (that's missing in this photo) that has the 1/2" tiles.  Hitting mats go there; I'm using the Real Feel mats because that's what I've been using for the last 2 years.  The tiles in the foreground cover an area 6'x12' and will be a putting surface in addition to the area in front of the screen.  Area could be usable in a week of so, but still thinking about launch monitors.  SkyTrack is the frontrunner.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Lookin good Kenny.  I am more envious now than when you first mentioned this project.  Keep us posted.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

This is just what I'd like, now I'd add a Billiards table as well as I was quite good back in the day. Except I don't think the body would cope with that much practice anymore, but nice job...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 12/2/2022 at 11:35 AM, Kenny B said:

Area could be usable in a week of so, but still thinking about launch monitors.  SkyTrack is the frontrunner.  

SkyTrak is on sale $200 off!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

SkyTrak is on sale $200 off!!  

If you do get it, recommend looking at the extra metal case. It has leveling legs which you may not need, but the cover is nice to have .. just in case...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Just now, cksurfdude said:

If you do get it, recommend looking at the extra metal case. It has leveling legs which you may not need, but the cover is nice to have .. just in case...

Yeah, they have the package deal with case and Game Improvement software.  That software is really necessary IMO and costs $100/year.  I hate subscription services, but I guess it's the cost of business.  

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Game Improvement software

Definitely try it for a year; you can always drop it and add it back as you want. Or .. of course .. you can spend even more to get more features and sim play capability.

This is one thing I've cheaped out on; just using the basic range to primarily see ball flight and work on wedge distances.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Looks great!  Cant' wait to see the finished product.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Definitely try it for a year; you can always drop it and add it back as you want. Or .. of course .. you can spend even more to get more features and sim play capability.

This is one thing I've cheaped out on; just using the basic range to primarily see ball flight and work on wedge distances.

I will definitely get it for a year; but looking at the plans, the basic only has the practice range and I don't know what that gives me.  It seems like the GI plan has a lot of features that I would like.  Of course now I also have to get an iPad.  Doesn't work with my MacBook and Martha's iPad is too old.  Seems like I just hold my wallet open and say take whatever credit card you want!!  🥴

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Of course now I also have to get an iPad.  Doesn't work with my MacBook and Martha's iPad is too old.  Seems like I just hold my wallet open and say take whatever credit card you want!!  🥴

Wow I've not had a credit card for 30 years, debit for me I don't trust myself lol...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

8 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Wow I've not had a credit card for 30 years, debit for me I don't trust myself lol...

My rule... ALL credit cards are paid off in full at the end of each month.  No exceptions!!!   Plus I get free nights at Marriott and cash back at Costco, in addition to Costco being the cheapest gas in town by 5-10 cents per gallon.

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Of course now I also have to get an iPad.

FYI there's an app for my Android so it'll work on Chrome OS/Chromebooks, and also PCs/laptops, which you may find more cheaply vs ipads .. unless you're comfortable with the iOS and prefer it over the others.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

8 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

FYI there's an app for my Android so it'll work on Chrome OS/Chromebooks, and also PCs/laptops, which you may find more cheaply vs ipads .. unless you're comfortable with the iOS and prefer it over the others.

Have only used Macs and iOS for 20 years!!  Not going back to the dark side!

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

My rule... ALL credit cards are paid off in full at the end of each month.  No exceptions!!!   Plus I get free nights at Marriott and cash back at Costco, in addition to Costco being the cheapest gas in town by 5-10 cents per gallon.

Yup, OUR rule also.  No carrying debt especially at my age.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

19 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Have only used Macs and iOS for 20 years!!  Not going back to the dark side!

I cut my computer teeth on my dad's 8080 processor using NOVEL DOS and Windows 3.1, all command prompts and keyed code.  I couldn't comprehend sending something to Apple to have them do the coding to do whatever was wanted on their iOS because of their proprietary requirements.  I also could not understand how to use their logic that was obvious to Mac users just as the IBM coding was beyond most Mac users, and IBM was open source then and the playing field was wide open with Microsoft a minor player.  Loved OS/2 as the most capable operating system, CompuServe as the best online community, Describe for everything document creation, Magix for everything music and photo/video, SCSI "scuzzy" drives to link peripherals, and the 14.4 kbps modem squawk (that was an improvement on the telephone acoustic coupler).  To this day, despite the move to make iPhone/iPad/iWhatever user friendly and intuitive, I still have problems using them and it's the only kind of phone and computer wife can use 😉  

Funny how we would both look at the other's side as the dark one LOL 🕳️

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

58 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

I cut my computer teeth on my dad's 8080 processor using NOVEL DOS and Windows 3.1, all command prompts and keyed code.  I couldn't comprehend sending something to Apple to have them do the coding to do whatever was wanted on their iOS because of their proprietary requirements.  I also could not understand how to use their logic that was obvious to Mac users just as the IBM coding was beyond most Mac users, and IBM was open source then and the playing field was wide open with Microsoft a minor player.  Loved OS/2 as the most capable operating system, CompuServe as the best online community, Describe for everything document creation, Magix for everything music and photo/video, SCSI "scuzzy" drives to link peripherals, and the 14.4 kbps modem squawk (that was an improvement on the telephone acoustic coupler).  To this day, despite the move to make iPhone/iPad/iWhatever user friendly and intuitive, I still have problems using them and it's the only kind of phone and computer wife can use 😉  

Goodness me what memories you've set off for me, windows 3.1 was amazing technology back in the day. Scuzzy drives and 16gigs of ram and that was top of the range lol, unbelievable that I use to build a desk top and sell it for double what it cost me. Oh man thanks for that, cheers Colin..

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I had Hotels cards in Sydney to book dinner and accommodation at the Hyatt Marriott and another that gave great rewards, had free dinners and rooms also loved the theme dinners ahhh those were the days. Another fabulous memory..

4 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

Ahhh, my favorite 3-finger salute... CTRL-ALT-DELETE   😂

19 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

FYI for the younger crowd - Kenny is referring to the notorious BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

tdOhZxU-blue-screen-of-death-background.png.3b5fe6551a13aac200207fd091f9c526.png

..yes it was a thing way back when...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

10 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

..yes it was a thing way back when...

Still is very occasionally.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Haven’t used that in a loonnng time!

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:36 PM, Kenny B said:

Yes, it's concrete and no I'm not putting anything between it and the foam.  The foam has little nubbins on one side that should provide some airflow, but it shouldn't be an issue anyway.  Remember I live in a desert... it's dry here.  The foam tiles are 24"x24" and interlocking; they are not airtight connections.  I've had these tiles on the old concrete floor (old patio) for a couple of years and no issues.  I can lay these tiles in less than an hour, and remove them just as quickly.  I'm not attaching the fake grass carpet unless it moves when swinging.  This was done in a YT video and the guy had no problems.

The unit is a Daikin; based on the recommendation of a good friend and retired contractor. Remote control, Auto, cool, dry, fan, and heat pump.  It is whisper quiet!!  

IMG_7947.jpeg.bf4bb9636a87e41f2d7558d00df262d7.jpegIMG_7946.jpeg.4bd6d9cfe1651ebe2d3d266c738cfe48.jpeg

And YES!... there are 2 windows in my hitting bay; an outside window next to the exterior man-door, and an existing window into the master bath that was on the exterior of the house originally.  I don't anticipate any issues hitting them; didn't for two years hitting into a net.  I suspect that my wife will want to change that window one of these days, because remodeling the master bath is on her list!!

Like the mini split setup.  The Daikin is a nice unit.  
We went with the Mitsubishi because needed a little bigger unit.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks awesome.  I am envious.  This will make you drop at least 4 pts off that index!!!!

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

16 minutes ago, Caddie1966 said:

Looks awesome.  I am envious.  This will make you drop at least 4 pts off that index!!!!

Thanks!  But I doubt it.  To do that I need way more swing speed, and at my age I'm not going to be gaining much; just hoping not to lose any more!!  But at least I have a place now to keep swinging when the weather is such that I don't want to drive to the course.

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Still working on getting the tension adjusted to minimize bounceback

Do you have the sand/weighted bags on the bottom of the screen to pull it down and make it tighter?

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

4 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

Do you have the sand/weighted bags on the bottom of the screen to pull it down and make it tighter?

Screen comes with weighted tube of sand to extend the bottom flap.  The weight is not enough to pull screen down.  The flaps on all sides cover foam padding which is optional, but I have it. 

The screen with all bungees attached is much too tight.  I had an 8i with my slow swing speed bouncing back past me... 10 feet from screen.  I've removed 3 bungees from each side... ball now comes back to mat.  Still too far, but very convenient!  I will be removing a few more and adjusting it to get the wrinkles out.