Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New MACHINE Custom Mokume Gane Cavity Medallion

Choeppner

Hey Everyone,

I am happy to advise that we are now making the first Mokume Gane Logo Medallions as a new option for our Custom MACHINE putters.

We commissioned a foundry here in the US that follows the ancient techniques, and make them using advanced forging equipment to our custom sized billets so that we can CNC mill them to the exact sizes and dimensions we require for our medallions. We square up the raw billets, cut them into smaller sheet stock, and then mill the medallions out using multiple fixtures, tools, machining and finishing steps. Dave then hand patina the medallions, and then we engrave through the patina, and additional hand finishing and “secret sauce” to bring out the logo luster.

The first Mokume Medallion shown below on M10 Proto ART Putter ISS #1, has a Torched Hot Sauce patina on a Brass, Nickel Silver and Bronze in a Double Random Mokume pattern, which I think pairs very nicely with the Hand Hammered Peening in the shoulders and the Modular Center Shaft-Over hosel.

post-15142-0-56334700-1330448558_thumb.jpg

post-15142-0-68069800-1330448535_thumb.jpg

The second Mokume Medallion shown below is a Bronze and Nickel Silver Mokume with dark antique patina, paired with its new Garage Putter home, a M2A Converter in Aluminum Bronze with Beefy Back, Hand Hammered Peening, and a new 18 sided hand cut faceted hand bent hosel in Aluminum Bronze.

post-15142-0-15630400-1330448823_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks

-Chris

MACHINE Custom Putters Rep

Feel free to contact me with any questions at:

[email protected]

It makes me sad that that medallion is worth more than my putter itself. lol Love the way they look, really, really cool stuff.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Looks like machine has been checking out the Bruce Sizemore line of putters. Bruce made an all mokume gane putter over 10 years ago. Check out the mokume stuff from the 2012 PGA show. It might look very familiar.

Hey Everyone,

I am happy to advise that we are now making the first Mokume Gane Logo Medallions as a new option for our Custom MACHINE putters.

We commissioned a foundry here in the US that follows the ancient techniques, and make them using advanced forging equipment to our custom sized billets so that we can CNC mill them to the exact sizes and dimensions we require for our medallions. We square up the raw billets, cut them into smaller sheet stock, and then mill the medallions out using multiple fixtures, tools, machining and finishing steps. Dave then hand patina the medallions, and then we engrave through the patina, and additional hand finishing and “secret sauce” to bring out the logo luster.

The first Mokume Medallion shown below on M10 Proto ART Putter ISS #1, has a Torched Hot Sauce patina on a Brass, Nickel Silver and Bronze in a Double Random Mokume pattern, which I think pairs very nicely with the Hand Hammered Peening in the shoulders and the Modular Center Shaft-Over hosel.

post-15142-0-56334700-1330448558_thumb.jpg

post-15142-0-68069800-1330448535_thumb.jpg

The second Mokume Medallion shown below is a Bronze and Nickel Silver Mokume with dark antique patina, paired with its new Garage Putter home, a M2A Converter in Aluminum Bronze with Beefy Back, Hand Hammered Peening, and a new 18 sided hand cut faceted hand bent hosel in Aluminum Bronze.

post-15142-0-15630400-1330448823_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks

-Chris

Looks like machine has been checking out the Bruce Sizemore line of putters. Bruce made an all mokume gane putter over 10 years ago. Check out the mokume stuff from the 2012 PGA show. It might look very familiar.

Thanks for the comments. I know Bruce well (we have several long-time mutual friends) and am an admirer of his work and his fortitude in moving forward with his career and new partners at Super Stroke. As far as I know, Bruce is one of the few putter designers that says he intentionally ignores other contemporary work, which I find fascinating. I don't know how he does it, especially with the dynamic digital world we live in, but no doubt his putters are very unique, he is highly skilled and creative, and I think you can spot his designs no matter what brand name is on them.

Personally, I try to study everything out there that has come before, that we compete with now, and that I and our customers are interested in. Many if not most players I know and work with usually like to have some tie to tradition, usually a familiar look or head shape they feel most comfortable with, and confident with, but are also looking for something new. So, I study the most popular and successful designs out there, and then try to make my own interpretation of what I think players want and like, adding my own technologies, concepts, twists and turns. I try to push the envelope in new directions while respecting what has come before and also what others are doing. However, I never accept just copying someone else's work. I hope that shows and is self evident in my work.

FYI, I met Bruce at the PGA Show in 2009 when he had some of his Damascus and Mokume Gane inserts, which were beautiful. He also had a Sterling Silver grip that looked similar in many ways to our CNC milled MACHINE grips, that we had been doing for years, though his was forged by hand, and had its own unique shape. Of course I have also seen Damascus putters from many other makers, some whom came before Bruce. Tad Moore also has used Mokume in inserts in the face of the putter, similar to the way Bruce does. Frankly, I am not sure which of the two were first.

I met Bruce at the PGA Show again this year, and he showed me more of his inserts and complete putters. I was amazed and impressed when he told me he forges his own Mokume. On the other hand, he also seemed a little surprised to learn that I own a patent on clubs with inserts and certain interchangeable back components and adjustable weights, and have more IP pending in the field with modular heads and hosels, adjustable weights, etc. (Bruce had a "fitting kit" with numerous heads, hosels and back flanges all protected in cut outs in a foam lined case, much like our fitting kits we have been doing for years). So it appears we each learned something new. And if you aren't learning, you are going backwards, at least in my point of view.

For the record, my dad introduced my brother and me to collectible knives, swords and antique firearms when we were kids. I believe I first saw Mokume Gane in the late 70's or early 80's as I started growing my own pocket knife collection, including knives with Damascus, Mokume and other exotic materials. The use of these materials in knives and swords and presentation firearms pre-dates golf clubs considerably. It is also natural for designers like myself, Tad Moore, Bruce Sizemore and Scotty Cameron, etc., to look outside of golf for materials, techniques and technologies that we can possibly learn from, adopt or employ in new ways for our own creations.

I love the complexity, beauty, and contrast in the folded patterns that gives these metals an organic look. And, I've been using medallions and multi-materials in my putter designs since the first HOG models in 1994. So it seemed natural for me to go in this direction, and also explore all the layers of milling, finishing and hand patina work that goes back to my training and experience with sculpture.

I like the fact that our Damascus and Mokume Medallions are interchangeable, and that our customers who have other medallions can swap them out, and upgrade to these new materials if they wish. We also have new designs and technologies that will "spring from" the medallion port, which I am also very excited about. So, I hope you will see that while we may be working with some similar materials, we are doing it in different ways, and providing golfers with even more choices between us! :)

All the best,

-Dave

Archived