Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

The Fitting Corner - Fitting Education & Tips from Around the Internet

null

If you find a new video or article that you think will help your fellow Spies, post a link to it in your own post below, along with a two or three sentence blurb as to what the article or video is about.  I will continue to update the first post with links as we build our own "wiki-like" thread for fitting information.

I like to refer people to these two articles when they second guess a fitting or wonder why two fitters give different answers.  Kind of lays out some basic things about a fitting that should be understood before you start. 

https://pluggedingolf.com/your-club-fitting-was-not-a-bad-day/

https://pluggedingolf.com/there-is-no-perfect-fit/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I like to refer people to these two articles when they second guess a fitting or wonder why two fitters give different answers.  Kind of lays out some basic things about a fitting that should be understood before you start. 

Great stuff @cnosil!  I remember when TaylorMade released the SLDR and launched there "17 & 1700" campaign -- as if 17 degrees of launch and 1700 rpms of backspin was the holy grail that every golfer should try to get during their fitting.  Man that was awful and a detriment to so many golfers!

On 10/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Great stuff @cnosil!  I remember when TaylorMade released the SLDR and launched there "17 & 1700" campaign -- as if 17 degrees of launch and 1700 rpms of backspin was the holy grail that every golfer should try to get during their fitting.  Man that was awful and a detriment to so many golfers!

Oh No!  You aren't going to mention the SLRD-C, are you??!!  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Linking to another thread (Articles of Interest) about shaft flex fitting.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I think a lot of us are in this similar boat with tweaking their drivers vs going through full fits. Found this one interesting and well of course happy to see Matt back with TXG

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'll admit not my favourite youtuber, but SAS (he seems a bit bouncy) did have this interesting video about his used fitting business startup. It has some good points and does mention it is more popular in the US which I am curious about. There isn't much in terms of used fitting here, nearly all brand new. He makes some good suggestions on questions to ask and what to think about and look for in used fitting club situation. Stock may be limited of course, but also this wouldn't necessarily be for many and more tailored for budget golfers or new golfers. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

There aren't many good and useful guides on the internet and the ones that are really helpful are paid. I would prefer offline education, which is definitely of good quality and for me would be interesting and informative. There are indeed problems with educational services today. It is not easy to find exactly what you need. But I am sure that this service:  https://samploon.com/free-essays/community-service/ will be very useful for you as students. There are free essays on all kinds of topics and you can use them for your papers. What do you think? 

Edited by Troy_Clark

1 hour ago, Troy_Clark said:

There aren't many good and useful guides on the internet and the ones that are really helpful are paid. I would prefer offline education, which is definitely of good quality and for me would be interesting and informative. What do you think? 

Check out the various videos above. All are free!

As we are a online community it is a bit more difficult to suggest offline what may work and would often cost more in terms of books or lessons. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think a lot of us are in this similar boat with tweaking their drivers vs going through full fits. Found this one interesting and well of course happy to see Matt back with TXG

Thanks for sharing. I think this is my biggest struggle. I very rarely mess around with settings on the driver and probably should especially throughout the season as things change.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

11 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Thanks for sharing. I think this is my biggest struggle. I very rarely mess around with settings on the driver and probably should especially throughout the season as things change.

I think I'm on the opposite side and tweak too much haha 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think I'm on the opposite side and tweak too much haha 

I could use a slightly more open face bias right now....maybe ill mess around before tomorrow 🤔

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 2 weeks later...

@Golfspy_Lukes Was there anything that stood out to you in the recent TXG Matt fit videos, whether it be his driver, 3 wood or 5 wood? I know Matt has speed a lot of us can only dream of, but curious if there were any take aways that you may have noticed which could be relevant to us on the equipment side or swing side which was pointed out?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 10/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

@Golfspy_Lukes Was there anything that stood out to you in the recent TXG Matt fit videos, whether it be his driver, 3 wood or 5 wood? I know Matt has speed a lot of us can only dream of, but curious if there were any take aways that you may have noticed which could be relevant to us on the equipment side or swing side which was pointed out?

The biggest thing that had stood out is how simple swing changes could impact the optimum bag setup.  Matt had gotten steeper with his swing  since he hadn't been practicing much, so his hybrid and fairway wood didn't hit the right gaps anymore:  His hybrid was going as far as his 4 iron and his 5 wood was ballooning and losing a ton of distance.  

I had a similar issue with my driver when I gained a bunch of speed.  The standard G410 began spinning too much because of my increased swing speed.  My fitter recommended a simple switch to the LST head and that fixed everything.

It really is important to understand how the clubs, the swing and the fit all play together and affect each other

• 4 weeks later...

This is a must watch for everyone without question.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 2 weeks later...

Another good one to give a look at!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Another article on plugged in golf.    I think Matt puts out some insightful articles

https://pluggedingolf.com/will-new-golf-clubs-raise-your-floor-or-ceiling/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 3/22/2023 at 8:47 AM, cnosil said:

Another article on plugged in golf.    I think Matt puts out some insightful articles

https://pluggedingolf.com/will-new-golf-clubs-raise-your-floor-or-ceiling/

Agreed!! .. And that was a *great* article imho!

..essentially consider .. whether you're looking for new gear or not .. what's better *for you* as a golfer and for *your game* vis-a-vis where it's at - eg will you benefit more from raising your ceiling (help your best shots) vs raising your floor (help your worst shots)...

::poster raises hand and waves it in the air to the second part::

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, cnosil said:

Just wanted to put this out there that I definitely fall into the category of thinking “I’m not good enough yet to get a fitting” and I needed to read these. Was on the edge of do one or not do one, this helped a ton. Gonna set up an appointment here in a couple weeks for one. Appreciate you posting these

Driver: King Radspeed
3 Wood: Mizuno JPX 
Hybrid: 19* Taylormade SLDR
5 Wood: King Cobra Offset SS Hyper Steel
4-PW: Nike Covert VrS with Aldila VS Proto shafts
Putter: Wilson Buckingham

• 7 months later...

Guys, what are the most important signs that my club fitter may identify as indicators of a need for adjustment and how can I best prepare for the club fitting session to ensure receiving the most accurate and effective recommendations? I am preparing to be student at one of the best universities and I am already consulting sources like https://ca.papersowl.com/write-my-thesis to get prepared in time and obtain help with my Master's thesis. Therefore, the educational proccess is very imprtant for me in this period of time and I value any professional help from academic experts.

Edited by kikiteo

On 11/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, kikiteo said:

Guys, what are the most important signs that my club fitter may identify as indicators of a need for adjustment and how can I best prepare for the club fitting session to ensure receiving the most accurate and effective recommendations?

Ball flight if outdoors, launch monitor numbers regardless of indoors or outdoors, contact point on face and your swing 

prepare by being open minded, know what you are looking for from the fitting do you know whether your getting it or not both in terms of the fitting itself and the clubs that are shown to be a nester option or if what you have is the best option. Let the fitter do his/her job and communicate your thoughts and feelings about the club and shaft you are swinging 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Hey that's me in the third video of the first post....the one about buying clubs 🙂   Yeah, I know it's been shared here many times. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 10/12/2022 at 11:08 AM, GolfSpy TCB said:

Linking to another thread (Articles of Interest) about shaft flex fitting.  

Can you repost this? Video shows unavailable. Thanks.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Here's another PiG article I ran into after reading a few of the others posted earlier on this page. It's an older one, but I feel the concept of the article still holds up today. Just because you swing X mph or have Y tempo, doesn't mean you have to be in Z shaft. They're all different and flexes have different meanings at different manufacturers. So fitting is always the answer.

https://pluggedingolf.com/shaft-flex-matter-golf-myths-unplugged/

I'm drooling over a set of JPX921 HM Pro's with blacked out Project X LZ 5.5 shafts at a very discounted price. Usually I wouldn't consider them due to that 5.5 flex. I play stiff in my current DG120's and have played the LZ's in 6.0 before. But I'm considering the possibility that a 5.5 might be just fine with my smoother tempo, even at mid to upper 80's with a 7 iron. For the price, I may just give them a go.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder