TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

I think that any pga tour member should be able to play in whatever tour they want but that also means they can't be members of multiple tours. 

I also think these players are taking a big risk to sign up for something this early. Yeah, there might only be 10 events or so, but what about potential media requirements (hearing 90 min per event), ads, appearances, commitment to play in multiple asian tour events, course conditions not up to their standard, hospitality tents and locker rooms different than what they are used to, etc. 

This article was posted today. It might give players a good window into a different type of management style than they are used to. - https://www.wsj.com/articles/expatriate-executives-flee-saudi-arabias-bad-bosses-crown-prince-mohammed-mbs-neom-nasr-11654008823?mod=djem10point

BUT, if money is the most important thing to you, go for it! And don't lie to us saying that this is to grow the game. This is going to get interesting. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

I hope this drama and controversy airs on the upcoming Netflix show (at least leading up to the event as I imagine there wouldn't be any on course footage from it). It looked like they were following Poulter on his jet over the weekend. DJ and Sergio are also part of the Netflix series. Netflix has to be drooling with all the story lines they've had this season. 

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver 

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood or  :ping-small: G410 7 Wood

:taylormade-small: 3 Hybrid or :ping-small: G Crossover 3i
:ping-small:  G410 5i-GW (White Dot, Stiff)  
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser 
:918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Range Finder 

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

All I see here is DJ just made it OK for others to go. 

Pat Perez said it best. You’re the host of something like Pebble Pro Am.  No shot the Tour says DJ can’t play.  Sponsors would sprint away from the event  

Do you really think DJ moves the needle that much on ratings? I don't.

Interesting you used the Pebble tournament as an example, as that is the one DJ has skipped to play in the Saudi event instead the last few years.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Not trying to be a jerk.  But I could care less what NLU has to say.  😐

I will agree coverage would help. 

Not trying to be a jerk, but it is “couldn’t care less”. If you could care less, that means that you do actually care some amount. 😉

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

5 minutes ago, LICC said:

Because they really want to play Doral and Trump Bedminster instead?

For $9,320 you can get all access including being able to walk inside the ropes with players/caddie.  I'm not joking - 

https://tickets.livgolf.com/2022-new-jersey/club-54-premium-2-day

I'm sad that the Club 54 package at Jeddah doesn't include alcohol... But it is much cheaper than Bedminister. Only $5,900

https://tickets.livgolf.com/2022-jeddah/club-54-2-day

1 hour ago, TBS said:

Are we even going to be able to watch? I havent seen anything on tv rights or production/broadcast. Im guessing its going to be on youtube? If so, I hope they keep the comments going live. 

Also, remember this is going to be a team event where teams are drafted and different every week. 

I hear you, but I do tend to agree with them that courses like Southern Hills, Brookline, etc. are much more interesting to watch and more full of drama than TPC Craig Ranch. And looking at the list of courses, it looks like LIV is going to be full of Craig Ranch type courses. If you disagree, can you remember the par 3s at Craig Ranch or par 3s at Whistling Straits...

Pro golf needs an updated product, I just dont think this is the product that the viewers are asking for

The PGA Tour courses are a mix but let's not pretend they don't include quite a number of great and interesting courses- Sea Island, Kapalua, Pebble Beach, Riviera, Sawgrass, Harbour Town, Muirfield Village, and the mix of Fedex Cup lead up courses are usually good.

32 minutes ago, TBS said:

I think that any pga tour member should be able to play in whatever tour they want but that also means they can't be members of multiple tours. 

Why should they be able to play in other tours whenever they want? A tour should be able to say that if you want to be a member, you have to agree not to play on a rival tour without approval.

Just now, LICC said:

Why should they be able to play in other tours whenever they want? A tour should be able to say that if you want to be a member, you have to agree not to play on a rival tour without approval.

Need to clarify - I should edit and remove whenever they want. They have the freedom to change tours and play for a different tour at any time but that could come with consequences.

4 minutes ago, LICC said:

The PGA Tour courses are a mix but let's not pretend they don't include quite a number of great and interesting courses- Sea Island, Kapalua, Pebble Beach, Riviera, Sawgrass, Harbour Town, Muirfield Village, and the mix of Fedex Cup lead up courses are usually good.

Yes I agree, the PGA Tour's problem lies in the bad weeks. At least once or twice a month they play a great interesting course. Its the bad weeks on a bad course where there is opportunity for the PGA Tour to try something new. Mixed events, Team events, PGA Tour U mixed events, etc. 

In all honesty, DJ is the only guy on the tour that I would be interested in watching. Couldn’t care less about the other guys.

30 minutes ago, TBS said:

For $9,320 you can get all access including being able to walk inside the ropes with players/caddie.  I'm not joking - 

https://tickets.livgolf.com/2022-new-jersey/club-54-premium-2-day

I'm sad that the Club 54 package at Jeddah doesn't include alcohol... But it is much cheaper than Bedminister. Only $5,900

https://tickets.livgolf.com/2022-jeddah/club-54-2-day

I have only been to a couple events live and I was honestly disappointed. You had to stand so far away from the guys, you couldn’t hear what they were saying or really appreciate the shots because you weren’t close enough to see it all happen. It would be awesome to be able to walk behind them and hear them talk and stuff.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:35 PM, DaveP043 said:

Thanks, I did find an article about it.  Its an interesting problem, the course owners have signed a contract, and there could be significant financial repercussions if they choose to back out.  There could also be repercussions if members leave the club in protest.  None of us know the "balance of power" between owners and members there, but its possible that the only leverage that the members have is to quit.  I don't know if that's likely, not understanding the availability of good golf in that area.  Time will tell, but I'll be a little surprised (not astounded, just a little surprised) if the club indeed backs out.

Evidently the owners signed a contract with LIV without even telling members, much less get their views. Plus "Eleven local mayors signed a letter opposing LIV Golf Invitational Series coming to Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club on June 30-July 2." And "Despite pushback from local mayors, a U.S. senator and golf club members — several of whom have resigned from the club..." so there have been member resignations already.

Needless to say, there are ZERO corporate sponsors. Getting members to "volunteer" to work the tournament should be a hoot, and evidently there are job postings online for the event. I am hoping the event is a total flop, even though everyone gets paid.

Escalante Golf, which owns and operates Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club outside of Portland, “cut a lucrative back-room deal with a controversial Saudi-funded golf tour” and it did so “without consulting club members or its advisory board,” according to sports reporter John Canzano. Escalante “took the money and signed on to host” an LIV Golf Invitational Series event on July 1-3 at Pumpkin Ridge, but a long line of members at the club “aren’t happy.” One member said, “I don’t know any member who thinks this is good for the club.” Pumpkin Ridge “informed members” about the LIV event on March 16 via email. The “ham-handed announcement described the golf event as ‘unique and unprecedented.’” It also informed members that the course “would be shutting down for eight days in the heart of prime golf season” in order to “make course improvements.” Pumpkin Ridge is not the only course owned by Escalante that “committed to the LIV Golf Invitational Series” as The International Golf Club near Boston “will host the same series” Sept. 2-4. There are "growing concerns about course security and potential protesting." Community leaders also have "discussed how to deal with what will certainly be a tumultuous and emotional weekend" at Pumpkin Ridge.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/03/31/Events-and-Attractions/Pumpkin-Ridge.aspx

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/investigations/controversial-saudi-backed-golf-tournament-oregon/283-b89b7c54-1dd3-4288-8b34-f8c49208047e

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

3 hours ago, Lacassem said:

That’s how I’m looking at it to, PGA Tour’s bluff has been called

Time for the attorneys to get rich...  🙄

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

1 hour ago, TBS said:

Yeah I think so, but know that they don't have to and probably won't make these suspensions public. It will have to come from the players. This is going to end up in court. Allegedly Monahan was in DC a few weeks ago, probably lobbying for some support for updates to anti trust.

If the Tour suspends or bans anyone, you can bet that player (or players) will make it public, as they go to court.  Should be interesting...

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

51 minutes ago, LICC said:

Because they really want to play Doral and Trump Bedminster instead?

The Blue Monster is a great course, and Bedminster was going to host the PGA until they decided to pull it for Southern Hills.

1 hour ago, LICC said:

Do you really think DJ moves the needle that much on ratings? I don't.

Interesting you used the Pebble tournament as an example, as that is the one DJ has skipped to play in the Saudi event instead the last few years.

It was Pat Perez’ quote as an example of how sponsors may threaten the Tour if they do not permit certain players to enter. 

As far as your initial question?

US Open, Masters and 22 other Tour wins.

Yeah he moves the needle. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

48 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

The Blue Monster is a great course, and Bedminster was going to host the PGA until they decided to pull it for Southern Hills.

Neither one is a great course.

52 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

If the Tour suspends or bans anyone, you can bet that player (or players) will make it public, as they go to court.  Should be interesting...

I'd be interested to hear the arguments from the players.  They've made a contract with the PGA Tour, they've broken that contract, but they don't want to face the discipline for breaking the contract that's spelled out in the contract they've made.  Yes, they are independent to an extent, they're also contractors in that they've agreed to a contract.  Both are important, in my mind.

This is only a guess, but I'd bet that the discipline for a single offense is relatively small, perhaps a short suspension.  I don't think the PGA Tour is likely to go beyond what the contract with the players specifically allows for.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

11 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It was Pat Perez’ quote as an example of how sponsors may threaten the Tour if they do not permit certain players to enter. 

I didn't ask if he was good golfer. I asked if he moved the needle on ratings. I don't see it. Have ratings been worse in tournaments that he hasn't played? He hasn't done much this year and no one seems to have missed him in the final round telecasts.

And what sponsor would make a stand against the PGA Tour to insist on them allowing a LIV player to not be suspended? No sponsor would have any legal standing to back out, so the most they could do would be to pull back a future sponsorship. Who would do that to insist on Dustin Johnson being in a field?

Pat Perez isn't a strong reference here.

Edited by LICC

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd be interested to hear the arguments from the players.  They've made a contract with the PGA Tour, they've broken that contract, but they don't want to face the discipline for breaking the contract that's spelled out in the contract they've made.  Yes, they are independent to an extent, they're also contractors in that they've agreed to a contract.  Both are important, in my mind.

This is only a guess, but I'd bet that the discipline for a single offense is relatively small, perhaps a short suspension.  I don't think the PGA Tour is likely to go beyond what the contract with the players specifically allows for.

I agree. It's not like the PGA Tour is trying to enforce a non-compete agreement to sue to stop them from playing in the LIV event. They can make a choice- they are able to play the LIV event but then per their PGA Tour membership agreement they are suspended from some number of PGA Tour events. 

Edited by LICC

10 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I don’t think DJ moves the needle. He rubs more people the wrong way than he does bringing them in. Most people get on him about his boring interviews, perceived lack of intelligence. 

He’s a big name with success but he’s not a needle mover. Not to mention there’s not even a product that is DJ specific to market. 

Put him in a threesome with some random names at an event with other big names in it and I bet you his following around the course is smaller than the other big names at the event 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

This is a pretty sour thread to read.  I’m out.  

It had potential…I’ll join you. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t think DJ moves the needle. He rubs more people the wrong way than he does bringing them in. Most people get on him about his boring interviews, perceived lack of intelligence. 

He’s a big name with success but he’s not a needle mover. Not to mention there’s not even a product that is DJ specific to market. 

Put him in a threesome with some random names at an event with other big names in it and I bet you his following around the course is smaller than the other big names at the event 

You may be right. Time will certainly tell. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

11 minutes ago, LICC said:

I didn't ask if he was good golfer. I asked if he moved the needle on ratings. I don't see it. Have ratings been worse in tournaments that he hasn't played? He hasn't done much this year and no one seems to have missed him in the final round telecasts.

And what sponsor would make a stand against the PGA Tour to insist on them allowing a LIV player to not be suspended? No sponsor would have any legal standing to back out, so the most they could do would be to pull back a future sponsorship. Who would do that to insist on Dustin Johnson being in a field?

Pat Perez isn't a strong reference here.

I agree, DJ isn’t exactly charismatic. The LIV money must be pretty huge. He is missing a tournament of one of his biggest sponsors. A sponsor who made him the centerpiece in their TV commercials.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Some humor for this topic just because. 😂

DC027D02-E251-4A1D-B5EF-60C52A8A80FE.jpeg.8174085ac266b5f16287c87be16c4a86.jpeg

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

11 minutes ago, Shankster said:

This is a pretty sour thread to read.  I’m out.  

Fair point here - to keep this thread positive, what would you like to see in LIV golf? Remove the Saudi aspect, how could a rival tour make pro golf a better product for the viewers?

PGA doesn't want the competition and to adapt...the conflicting events of the Canadian Open, John Deer, and Rocket Mortgage are not flagship events. This could have been an opportunity for the Tour to experiment with different formats while top players got a significantly higher payday at the LIV events. The other LIV events conflict with the wrap-around season events that most top names don't play in anyways. This could be a win win for golf if we got to see the top players play more often. 

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver 

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood or  :ping-small: G410 7 Wood

:taylormade-small: 3 Hybrid or :ping-small: G Crossover 3i
:ping-small:  G410 5i-GW (White Dot, Stiff)  
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser 
:918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Range Finder