TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

As a mod team while we go through some of this we will temporarily suspend/lock this thread.

We are on the border here and while it is so easy to link politics and golf on this particular topic we need to try and keep it to golf and Golf only. 

We will reopen it when we determine the best path forward on this specific topic.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

As this is such a prominent topic in golf and we want to encourage the conversation about LIV golf from a golfing standpoint we will reopen this thread. 

That said, we all know the backside of this story and as much as it has a place to be discussed it falls too close to the political side which we do not allow in the forum. So we ask that the conversation moving forward focuses on the golf, field, courses and other news related to LIV and avoids the back stories which we all know and are aware of. 

I trust that us as a community can stay to this and we can have solid conversations, debates and discussions moving forward around LIV and the news that follows it. 

We all have our opinions on the "other stuff" just as I have some pretty strong feelings on it, however they are not meant for this forum and really only lead down a path where we have to lock up this thread again. 

This is not a warning to all, but a request from the mod team that we keep the discussion about the golf which will start next week with LIV. Lets just avoid the mess that we know will lead to warnings and other nonsense that will get heated or lead to us having to intervene and enjoy the LIVely debate we can have on this thread. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As this is such a prominent topic in golf and we want to encourage the conversation about LIV golf from a golfing standpoint we will reopen this thread. 

That said, we all know the backside of this story and as much as it has a place to be discussed it falls too close to the political side which we do not allow in the forum. So we ask that the conversation moving forward focuses on the golf, field, courses and other news related to LIV and avoids the back stories which we all know and are aware of. 

I trust that us as a community can stay to this and we can have solid conversations, debates and discussions moving forward around LIV and the news that follows it. 

We all have our opinions on the "other stuff" just as I have some pretty strong feelings on it, however they are not meant for this forum and really only lead down a path where we have to lock up this thread again. 

This is not a warning to all, but a request from the mod team that we keep the discussion about the golf which will start next week with LIV. Lets just avoid the mess that we know will lead to warnings and other nonsense that will get heated or lead to us having to intervene and enjoy the LIVely debate we can have on this thread. 

Thanks and I apologize for losing the Plot, as you say we all feel for those suffering at the hands of those inflicting pain. 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if I am rehashing something. The PGA Tour obviously sees this as a threat. They obviously know more than I, but I’m not sure how much of a threat it is as currently constructed. I’m not sure most golf fans are interested in watching 54 hole tournaments that seem more exhibitions than contests. I know I’m not. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

5 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if I am rehashing something. The PGA Tour obviously sees this as a threat. They obviously know more than I, but I’m not sure how much of a threat it is as currently constructed. I’m not sure most golf fans are interested in watching 54 hole tournaments that seem more exhibitions than contests. I know I’m not. 

I agree with not watching PGA golf with the expense involved not value for money in my view, LPGA golf I'm happy to pay for but here there's way too many commercials so I've dropped Sports and watch the LPGA on utube. Yeah it's not the game playing at this moment but it's golf and most interviews are live, I'm saving $100 per month watching free to air television only. Works for me lol...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

10 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

The main initial threat is LIV poaching away the PGA Tour's top and thus most marketable players.

7 hours ago, LICC said:

The main initial threat is LIV poaching away the PGA Tour's top and thus most marketable players.

As to initial, so far they haven't been able to attract any of the really top PGA players, DJ and Phil are not at the top and about 75% are near nobodys. However, with the money involved I've read some more big name PGA stars are waiting to see how the first batch of players make out, and to see what if anything the PGA actually does to players who sign on for LIV, or how the courts rule on samecwhich will take a while. Makes sense to me, no need to be first in the frying pan...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, LICC said:

Norman has to be the worst salesman who ever lived, but that does not surprise me - he’s been bitter about several issues since his golf career ended years ago. He keeps giving us one reason after another to not like LIV with all his whining - it’s nothing but a huge unprincipled money grab that he’s glad to “promote.”

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

52 minutes ago, LICC said:

Yep I just got that about an hour ago on one of my FB feeds

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I just saw that Phil is going to LIV as is Rickie Fowler. The way Rickie has been playing, I can’t say that I’m surprised. He seems lost. Correction: Rickie has not committed to LIV but was in talks and hasn’t ruled it out.

33 minutes ago, Middler said:

Norman has to be the worst salesman who ever lived, but that does not surprise me - he’s been bitter about several issues since his golf career ended years ago. He keeps giving us one reasons after another to not like LIV with all his whining - it’s nothing but a huge unprincipled money grab that he’s glad to “promote.”

Greg accusing Rory of being brainwashed is funny coming from a guy who has been blinded by money. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by MattWillGolf
Made a correction after learning more.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

12 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Greg accusing Rory of being brainwashed is funny coming from a guy who has been blinded by money. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Rory like a dozen others making pots of dosh don't need to worry about money as yet, but I'm betting that greed will change their minds once they see how much is on offer...

On 6/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, LICC said:

LIV is trying to take players away from the PGA Tour. What is "offensive and disgusting" about protecting your business? What if the Saudi's decided to start a new football league and tried to convince Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Derrick Henry to go play in its league, and the NFL said (as it would) that they couldn't or else they would be suspended? Would that be offensive and disgusting?

I think the main difference is the players on tour don't play in every single tournament. It's very common for them to play a stretch and then take a month off. The LIV tour isn't competing every single weekend against the PGA. Some weekends, yes. In your example, a QB would have to leave the league completely because their team would need them as long as they were healthy.

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

9 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

I think the main difference is the players on tour don't play in every single tournament. It's very common for them to play a stretch and then take a month off. The LIV tour isn't competing every single weekend against the PGA. Some weekends, yes. In your example, a QB would have to leave the league completely because their team would need them as long as they were healthy.

None of that matters. If the top players jump to another tour, it is damaging. The NFL or MLB or any pro league would never agree to its players going to another rival league in the offseason. 

Unfortunately this still shows that if the tour was a polished product and viewership each week was as good as it could be, another competing league wouldn’t be coming for their space and money. The tour should refine and adjust to get more viewership consistently each week and take into consideration a few things to appease the players. Front loading the fed ex points this year forced a lot of the older players who take that time off to play a more jam packed schedule later in the year to catch up, can’t see the players loving that. Also viewership is hit or miss depending on the tournament, sponsors are still paying but can’t be thrilled with the lack of eye balls. Cord cutting is certainly a factor but other sports such as the NFL continue to push the threshold week in and week out

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

2 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Unfortunately this still shows that if the tour was a polished product and viewership each week was as good as it could be, another competing league wouldn’t be coming for their space and money. The tour should refine and adjust to get more viewership consistently each week and take into consideration a few things to appease the players. Front loading the fed ex points this year forced a lot of the older players who take that time off to play a more jam packed schedule later in the year to catch up, can’t see the players loving that. Also viewership is hit or miss depending on the tournament, sponsors are still paying but can’t be thrilled with the lack of eye balls. Cord cutting is certainly a factor but other sports such as the NFL continue to push the threshold week in and week out

This isn't a typical challenger by any means. There just aren't many organizations willing to throw such big money into challenging the PGA. Their product has withstood, and continues to, any challenger on a level playing field?

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I see Dustin Johnson has resigned from the PGA now as well. Like others have said, they're probably doing it to avoid being formally banned, to keep their options open if they want to play some US events or the tour in the future. I'll bet many players will formally resign before the PGA acts - or maybe this was orchestrated in the background so the PGA wouldn't have to ban anyone?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/golf-johnson-resigns-from-pga-tour-to-play-in-liv-invitational-series/ar-AAYaN6G?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

24 minutes ago, Middler said:

I see Dustin Johnson has resigned from the PGA now as well. Like others have said, they're probably doing it to avoid being formally banned, to keep their options open if they want to play some US events or the tour in the future. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/golf-johnson-resigns-from-pga-tour-to-play-in-liv-invitational-series/ar-AAYaN6G?ocid=uxbndlbing

As others said before, if you can afford to resign from the tour its the best move. It allows for an easy re-entry if LIV fails. The issue will be the amateurs and other young talent. Let's say LIV sticks around for a few years  and OWGR does not give any points to LIV events, Gooch falls out of the rankings quickly. Andy Ogletree and Pinot are even further away from getting their card then they would be now, if they tried to go to the PGA tour. 

I never really cared about the older Euro guys; Phil was on his way out, although I would loved to see him come to Bham AL for the Regions Classic on the Senior tour. And DJ wants to cost into retirement.

Its the younger players who I'm starting to feel something about. Go listen to Andy Ogletree interview.

He's complaining that its hard to get on tour because he has to travel around to try to win minitour events and Monday Qs to get KFT status and LIV gets him comfy guaranteed starts. Say what you will about the product of the PGA tour but the best thing about it is that the only way to get on tour and stay on tour is by winning. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Phil apparently did not resign from the PGA: https://www.si.com/golf/news/exclusive-phil-mickelson-on-liv-golf-and-his-pga-tour-status

Waiting to see what the PGA does with him.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

So the alternative LIV Golf is ready to launch its first event. Are you watching? My understanding is it's only going to air on a streaming service YouTube or the LIV golf website.  
Thoughts?  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

5 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Zero interest.

Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

I don't know even know when or where it will be broadcast. But I couldn't care less, won't be watching. I'm only interested at all, to see it fail...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Nope - couldn't care less about LIV  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, Middler said:

This isn't a typical challenger by any means. There just aren't many organizations willing to throw such big money into challenging the PGA. Their product has withstood, and continues to, any challenger on a level playing field?

If LIV makes it through this year and once the Fed ex cup finishes I would expect more defectors. Players will take the money regardless of where it comes from. How much it will challenge the product the tour puts out has yet to be seen. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I have very little time to both watch and play golf - given the choice I always play.  For example I haven't seen the final round of a Masters in years because I'm normally playing at that time.  I also enjoy Hockey and Baseball more than watching golf.  Plus frankly its a pretty lean field - just not interested at this time beyond the attempt of a go at it and how the dynamic between the two major world tours and the LIV will play out.  I do recall the days of the AFL and ABA so I know it's possible for an alternative league to start and succeed but for every success there has been multiple failures.  I was very young but I do recall all the lawsuits between the AFL and NFL, the alternative drafts where players had to choose - it worked out in the end - 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't watch any other minor sports leagues where washed up former pros go, so why would I watch this one?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It'll also be interesting to see how the individual player sponsors handle this, i.e. Michelson and KPMG. Will sponsors like this drop the players?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

So for those who formally resign their membership, what is the process they would have to do in order to reapply to get back on tour if they chose to?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Zero interest.  I really hope no major network will pick it up either.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I said this in the other LIV thread, but yeah I'm going to tune in for at least a little bit out of the curiousity for how bad or average the coverage is. I'm not going to set my alarm to watch, but my curiosity definitely has me interested to see how this first event goes and what the product is like. 

I'm not a supporter or fan of this series, however as it effects my other golf watching I feel I should at least see what its like even if only for 20 minutes. No Faldo is also a bonus...

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW