Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

31 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

Watching the coverage, which is non-stop and shows almost all the players is pretty cool. Completely different than any PGA Tour or major tournament coverage.  I know it probably won’t always be like this once they franchise & sell the teams, but it’s an awesome way to watch golf right now. Also have a good individual and team competition happening right now.  I like JT Poston, but I can watch that finish tomorrow if I wish. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... enjoy the "free ride" while it lasts.  If they really want to win fans, keep it free streaming 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

29 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... enjoy the "free ride" while it lasts.  If they really want to win fans, keep it free streaming 👍

Yeah I hope you’re right but it’s a business and sooner than you/I want they will want a return on investment, I’m ok with that but enjoying it while it last lol plus I’m not really interested in watching the total coverage as I’m bored after 2 hours…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Well, I'm giving the event and coverage a solid 8.5/10. It went off way better than I expected it too.  The quality of play and battle down the the stretch was very good. I liked the booth and on-course commentators - it felt real and unrehearsed. The quality of the course coverage is the portion that surprised me most.  I was expecting this part to be a bit less refined but it was as good as most tour events (Masters aside).

Brendan Grace just earned, in 3 days, 20% of his career earnings over a 15 year campaign, and Carlos Ortiz 25% of his total over a 9 year tenure on the PGA Tour. Heck, even Jediah Morgan's last place finish (+21) will be able to pay some bills with his $120,000 check.

This is going to capture the attention of lots of players across all the other tours.  I suspect a good many sitting on the fence will fall into LIV's pasture. Not so sure how many more top 50 players go, but it would not surprise me that a handful of the middle of the pack take the bait before the Bedminster event.

Like it or not, LIV is indeed moving forward and creating a new era in professional golf.

I don't buy that the reduced schedule and relaxed format is the driving momentum for the players....it's the guaranteed money regardless of how poorly you play (Perez!).  At some point, the tour will have to generate some income to continue the payouts...unless the Saudis continue to finance it endlessly.  

I watched a bit of it yesterday and it seemed more like a golf exhibition--or a club tournament with higher level players.  I liked the commentators and their take on the play, but I found the team portion scoring a bit confusing as I never saw the actual team scores, only heard the scores by the commentators.  Not sure how much of it I will watch in the future.  Time will tell, I guess.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

I don't buy that the reduced schedule and relaxed format is the driving momentum for the players....it's the guaranteed money regardless of how poorly you play (Perez!).  At some point, the tour will have to generate some income to continue the payouts...unless the Saudis continue to finance it endlessly.  

Late to the party?

Anyone who suggests defecting to LIV isn’t about the money first and foremost is kidding themselves, though the LIV players are obligated to give any other PR happy talk reasons to deflect.

The Saudis are behind LIV to distract from/improve their image in the world, not to make money. If that doesn’t happen and/or when oil prices fall again (not anytime soon evidently) - they might reconsider. Showing how many westerners only care about money above all else is a side benefit. Obnoxious greed - the jokes on Phil, and he doesn’t care.

I’ve watched a grand total of about 5 minutes between the first two events. I hate this development and comment less and less, but it’s like looking away from a train wreck, hard to do 100%. I’m no longer confident in how this will play out with LIV and the PGA, but I am sure it’ll take years…so daily/weekly debates seem pointless. We all know what the major inflection points will be, the rest is noise. We might have a slow drip of defections for quite a while, Casey won’t be the last…lots of past their prime, injury prone and/or up and coming PGA players who may sell out.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

32 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I watched a bit of it yesterday and it seemed more like a golf exhibition--or a club tournament with higher level players.  I liked the commentators and their take on the play, but I found the team portion scoring a bit confusing as I never saw the actual team scores, only heard the scores by the commentators.  Not sure how much of it I will watch in the future.  Time will tell, I guess.

Oh for sure, it's largely about the money but I do think the format change is appealing as well.  Speaking of Perez, he bagged $750,000 for being part of Team Aces win, and that's in addition to his T29 $153,000.  Mrs. Perez is liking the new tour  😆.

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Oh for sure, it's largely about the money but I do think the format change is appealing as well.  Speaking of Perez, he bagged $750,000 for being part of Team Aces win, and that's in addition to his T29 $153,000.  Mrs. Perez is liking the new tour  😆.

If I made that much cash the first thing I would do is start ordering an extra slice of cheese on my whopper.

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

On 7/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, MGoBlue100 said:

It’s a brilliant strategy. I’ve heard the agents are lobbying their clients very hard as well. More money = more commission. 

If Freddie Freeman's past agent represents any golfers, they may want to fire him quickly.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

10 hours ago, Middler said:

Late to the party?

Anyone who suggests defecting to LIV isn’t about the money first and foremost is kidding themselves, though the LIV players are obligated to give any other PR happy talk reasons to deflect.

The Saudis are behind LIV to distract from/improve their image in the world, not to make money. If that doesn’t happen and/or when oil prices fall again (not anytime soon evidently) - they might reconsider. Showing how many westerners only care about money above all else is a side benefit. Obnoxious greed - the jokes on Phil, and he doesn’t care.

I’ve watched a grand total of about 5 minutes between the first two events. I hate this development and comment less and less, but it’s like looking away from a train wreck, hard to do 100%. I’m no longer confident in how this will play out with LIV and the PGA, but I am sure it’ll take years…so daily/weekly debates seem pointless. We all know what the major inflection points will be, the rest is noise. We might have a slow drip of defections for quite a while, Casey won’t be the last…lots of past their prime, injury prone and/or up and coming PGA players who may sell out.

I am just hoping if more Americans keep joining the LIV tour, the Saudis will start sending us some oil. Lord knows the US needs some help.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

3 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I am just hoping if more Americans keep joining the LIV tour, the Saudis will start sending us some oil. Lord knows the US needs some help.

... You don't need any gas for your ZIP. Maybe it's time for an electric Ford Lightening 150. 😉

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... You don't need any gas for your ZIP. Maybe it's time for an electric Ford Lightening 150. 😉

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/

Pretty impressive HP and torque specs but I'd need/want at least twice that range or a hybrid for my (current) zip. 

So what I want to know is how these guys are spending all this new free time they have?  23 days until the next event.  Maybe they'll start doing some of those "hanging with so and so" YT videos... of Pat Perez wearing the "pooch pouch" and carrying an arm load of Ashley's Gucci shopping bags 😆.

Any of our NJ region spies planning to check this out first hand?

Bedminster | LIV Golf

None of the participants who played in the first LIV tournament were "banned" from the U.S. Open, if they had previously qualified to play at Brookline. The same will hold true for the Open Championship at St. Andrews according to the R & A. The last post indicated that Ian Poulter will be allowed to play in the Scottish Open.

My guess, and I'm not an attorney, is that no one will be actually "banned" from playing in any tournament that they have qualified for. As soon as that happens, I suspect Greg Norman and his entourage of lawyers will file multiple lawsuits against whichever tour implemented the "ban". The PGA and WP World Tours are smart enough to know that. 

I still don't think the LIV tour, despite it's huge purses, is a bona fide threat to either the PGA Tour or the DP World Tour in the long run.  Just my two cents.

Driver - Taylormade M6; 10.5 Degrees - Diamana BF50R shaft.

Fairway Woods - Tour Exotics (3 Wood) CBX119 EvenFlow Project X 5.5R Tour Exotics (4 Wood) XCG7; Fujikura 50R shaft.

Hybrids - PING G (19,22 and 26 Degree lofts.)

Irons - Mizuno MX300 (7-GW)

Wedges - Cleveland RTX4 (54 and 58 degree)

Putter - Pyramid Altec Series AZ-11

Ball - Bridgestone 330-RTX or Calloway Tour iz

7 minutes ago, Birdieputt13 said:

My guess, and I'm not an attorney, is that no one will be actually "banned" from playing in any tournament that they have qualified for. As soon as that happens, I suspect Greg Norman and his entourage of lawyers will file multiple lawsuits against whichever tour implemented the "ban". The PGA and WP World Tours are smart enough to know that. 

LIV Players were banned from playing in the Scottish open and 3 apparently won a challenge to play in the event.  

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/liv-rebels-win-legal-challenge-to-play-scottish-open

Patrick Reed has been removed as an entrant by the DP tour. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/golf/patrick-reed-is-withdrawn-from-scottish-open-by-dp-world-tour-3754839

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, Birdieputt13 said:

None of the participants who played in the first LIV tournament were "banned" from the U.S. Open, if they had previously qualified to play at Brookline. The same will hold true for the Open Championship at St. Andrews according to the R & A. The last post indicated that Ian Poulter will be allowed to play in the Scottish Open.

I still don't think the LIV tour, despite it's huge purses, is a bona fide threat to either the PGA Tour or the DP World Tour in the long run.  Just my two cents.

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

LIV Players were banned from playing in the Scottish open and 3 apparently won a challenge to play in the event.  

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/liv-rebels-win-legal-challenge-to-play-scottish-open

Patrick Reed has been removed as an entrant by the DP tour. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/golf/patrick-reed-is-withdrawn-from-scottish-open-by-dp-world-tour-3754839

They have been granted a temporary stay on appeal. I’m assuming that means once their appeal is heard they will either be banned or back on tour. This seems similar to other athletes being able to play until their appeal is heard. I’m guessing this process last until at least the end of the FedEx or Race to Dubai but who knows

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 hour ago, Birdieputt13 said:

They’ve been suspended by the pga tour so they are technically banned from any pga tour event they are qualified for and also the Ryder cup. 

US Open run by USGA not PGA tour

The Open run by R&A not PGA tour

PGA Championship run by PGA org not PGA tour

Masters run by Augusta not PGA tour

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My question is why was Wilco Nienaber apparently granted an exemption from the DP Tour to go to Portland to be an alternate for the LIV event?  I don’t know the whole story and honestly haven’t looked into it much but that seems strange for him to get one but the other guys are suspended/banned.  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

19 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So what I want to know is how these guys are spending all this new free time they have?  23 days until the next event.  Maybe they'll start doing some of those "hanging with so and so" YT videos... of Pat Perez wearing the "pooch pouch" and carrying an arm load of Ashley's Gucci shopping bags 😆.

Any of our NJ region spies planning to check this out first hand?

Bedminster | LIV Golf

I imagine some of them will be able to work on their personal branding stuff more. I saw that Bryson had his entire content team following him around during the tournament in Portland, something that the PGA never let him do, so I imagine he'll be releasing a YouTube video at some point that goes behind-the-ropes with him.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS