TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

8 minutes ago, LICC said:

I think if LIV players want to leave LIV and come back, the Tour should selectively take back the ones who would be good to take back, after some suspension time, and definitely not the ones suing. No one should be able to play LIV and also play the PGA Tour in between.

I just don't understand why the PGA tour should welcome any of these guys back at any point in the near future. They have rocked the boat and caused damage and drama that has for me really killed my enjoyment in watching the tour. Not to mention our fantasy leagues, LIV players completely ruined enjoyment of watching golf on so many fronts and it is because the players left. I hope that all should have to serve whatever suspension the tour had cooked up and then take the appropriate process in working their way back onto the tour. If willy Z can't get into the playoffs last year because of his temp status and all that he did well for the game last year why should a LIV player get special treatment when they have only hurt the tour and its members. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Th funniest part about this whole thing to me is that I don’t really see any improvement in the public opinion of the Saudi regime as a result of the “sportwashing.” If anything, it seems to be casting more of a highlight on the human rights violations, etc.  In sum, the Saudis are investing a ton of money to produce an inferior product all while raising even more negative attention to themselves…

The only beneficiaries are those players who either care more about money that competition, were past their prime, or were rarely going to be in contention for the larger checks.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

Wow. Same points and views over and over and over, while nothing substantial has changed. Enjoy.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

9 hours ago, Thin2win said:

6 Or so months into this and I think I want both parties to lose.  The pga tour is fighting to keep its players,  but not its viewers. LIV is still funded by Voldemort.

LIV players saying they joined for every reason other then money annoys me about as much as PGA players saying that playing anything less then 72 holes with a cut isn't actual golf. Guess I've never played golf.

LIV broadcasters talking about the electric atmosphere and the PGA tour ones taking random shots and barbs at those that went to LIV and the format are equally annoying.

LIV doesn't have a major.... neither does the PGA Tour.

That the USGA is my current favorite golf organization is astonishing to me. The US Women's Amateur last week,  and the men's Amateur this week have been great viewing.

The PGA Tour continues to believe they are the end all be all of golf. They have failed in the past and continue to fail to realize they are an entertainment arm and nothing more. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The PGA Tour continues to believe they are the end all be all of golf. They have failed in the past and continue to fail to realize they are an entertainment arm and nothing more. 

I think they realize that which is why they are taking the actions they have to ensure they have the golfers to provide a product for entertainment viewing.

If they just let players come and go as they please they won’t have a product to entertain fans.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think they realize that which is why they are taking the actions they have to ensure they have the golfers to provide a product for entertainment viewing.

If they just let players come and go as they please they won’t have a product to entertain fans.

One of the major issues I've found that is discussed about the pga tours revenue model/TV contracts,  is that it has no real idea who will and won't play any given week.  The Players is going to be a good field,  but who is the biggest name that will show up to 'event x'? People tune in to watch the Yankees,  year after year roster after roster. The Majors in golf have that same appeal.  But the average tour stops don't.

The team model that the PGL presented. And that LIV is attempting does in theory add a huge amount of value to the brand.  if the PGL estimates and calculations are accurate,  LIV could dump 5 billion into this and double that by 2030. I know the common media/ tour talking point is that the amount of money LIV is tossing around is silly and makes no sense.  But it makes compete sense with building a league based on team play with owned teams. If you can promise that team x is going to play every week,  people can get invested in that team.  Players can come and go, but the team is going to stay.

Pro Golf and Pro Tennis and most Olympic sports are individual events.... and they are all the least paid and least watched sports out there. Golf is the most played recreational sport in this country(usa), that it is getting worse viewership then Big 3 basketball is kinda proof that the PGA Tour has failed. 

I'd loved it if the Tour made non major, non elevated events only 3 rounds. tennis only plays best of 5 during the majors.  Golf could do the similar.

I see Tiger made some efforts last night,  which is fine.  But still funny given that he has expressed little interest in the Tour ever,  only in the majors which it isn't part of.

90% of the LIV filled lawsuit vs the PGA looks to be weak and filler. 10% of it looks to be pretty damning.

The times they are A-changin'

-Bob Dylan

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

3 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

One of the major issues I've found that is discussed about the pga tours revenue model/TV contracts,  is that it has no real idea who will and won't play any given week.  The Players is going to be a good field,  but who is the biggest name that will show up to 'event x'? People tune in to watch the Yankees,  year after year roster after roster. The Majors in golf have that same appeal.  But the average tour stops don't.

The team model that the PGL presented. And that LIV is attempting does in theory add a huge amount of value to the brand.  if the PGL estimates and calculations are accurate,  LIV could dump 5 billion into this and double that by 2030. I know the common media/ tour talking point is that the amount of money LIV is tossing around is silly and makes no sense.  But it makes compete sense with building a league based on team play with owned teams. If you can promise that team x is going to play every week,  people can get invested in that team.  Players can come and go, but the team is going to stay.

Pro Golf and Pro Tennis and most Olympic sports are individual events.... and they are all the least paid and least watched sports out there. Golf is the most played recreational sport in this country(usa), that it is getting worse viewership then Big 3 basketball is kinda proof that the PGA Tour has failed. 

I'd loved it if the Tour made non major, non elevated events only 3 rounds. tennis only plays best of 5 during the majors.  Golf could do the similar.

I see Tiger made some efforts last night,  which is fine.  But still funny given that he has expressed little interest in the Tour ever,  only in the majors which it isn't part of.

90% of the LIV filled lawsuit vs the PGA looks to be weak and filler. 10% of it looks to be pretty damning.

-Bob Dylan

I think that is what these big money events will be for. 8 was it? Should help get players like fields for at least 12 weeks a season vs 6 or 7.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

-Bob Dylan

I couldn't disagree more with most of this. Golf ratings compared to other sports isn't the whole picture. The demographics within those ratings matter. Golf viewers are affluent and certain brands will pay a lot for that exposure.

I couldn't care less about golf teams. It's only compelling if there is some basis for the team to be connected- playing for country in the Ryder Cup, playing for your college team, etc. In actual professional team sports the teams are based on their location and local fan base. Nothing about these LIV teams generates any interest for me.

7 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

True but that has always been the case it’s why the players have to play in 25 events a year if they choose not to play in an event that they haven’t played in for 3 or 5 years. It’s why only lifetime exempted members don’t have to do that.

8 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Basketball has always been more popular than golf. It takes up less time to watch a 3on3 game than 6 hours of golf. 
The pga tour has one of the bigger YouTube channels, they are pulling in billions every year and while i haven’t looked in awhile that number trends in the positive each year, so no the tour hasn’t failed. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

You've said these before and we have responded with answers that cover this. 

PGA tour has Play 15 get 50k. So why pay out an additional 5? 

PGA Tour had most all of these new events and such already lined up and discussed for the last couple years however were waiting for the new TV deal. Covid didn't help either. Yes things were moved up a bit, but all of this was still going to happen with our without LIV. 

Mickelson may have said some truth in his many tiraids, but also had so much wrong and was telling of numbers which were way overblown. All of this can be found out as well as they are a non for profit and much of their books are open for most to see and dive into. The fact the players make up numbers or don't care to get involved enough to understand the ins and the outs isn't the tours fault. 

Sure LIV guys can do that, they can probably give 50 million since they have essentially a bottomless pit of money. 

thanks for telling me , look at my 1st line  , as far as the play 15 i'm thinking about the ones that don't play 15 ., as far as what the pga is planning for years i don't know as i am not at their meetings  , i think mickelson knows a lot more about the pga   worlings than any member of this forum , as far as the LIV giving money to local charities i said " liv big shots " , i did not say guys as i have no idea how much the liv players give to foundations/charities .

7 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

... It will be interesting to see what happens around the world. The unique thing about golf is the individual nature of the game and the meritocracy. Easy for me to say sitting in my lazyboy but the drama and pressure of having to make the cut adds an element team sports do not. There is nobody to help you, nobody to rely on and just you and what you bring to the course that day, that week and that year. There is obviously a mental strength required to make a living playing golf. I will watch the Ryder or Presidents Cup but even then I pull for individual players not teams. 

... Watching the Korda sisters is just a great example. On paper they should completely dominate the Great Lakes Bay Invitational but clearly don't play as well together as they do individually and seems like they want to play better for their partners. It just changes the fundamental dynamics of golf. Maybe younger fans feel different or folks in other countries more used to team events like racing will enjoy the team aspect but I have zero interest in team golf. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Just now, shootmyage said:

thanks for telling me , look at my 1st line  , as far as the play 15 i'm thinking about the ones that don't play 15 ., as far as what the pga is planning for years i don't know as i am not at their meetings  , i think mickelson knows a lot more about the pga   worlings than any member of this forum , as far as the LIV giving money to local charities i said " liv big shots " , i did not say guys as i have no idea how much the liv players give to foundations/charities .

Players must play minimum 15 events to keep their cards. Unless they use money list or other exceptions. Less than 15 events they loose their card.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 minute ago, shootmyage said:

Phil may know a lot, but he's also lied even more. Most of the money numbers he pulled out of thin air are not even close to the truth. And it's not like it's something the PGAT can hide. Their books are public.

It's almost like FIGJAM's doing what he's done his entire career. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Just a couple thoughts from what I've noticed about the LIV/PGA Tour debacle...

#1: I've barely watched either except to try and catch a glimpse of Rickie Fowler as he fights to get his game back (that 9 on 18 last week hurt 😞).

#2: The viewer experience for the PGA absolutely sucks and LIV is only marginally better - mostly because they stream on YouTube and don't have to deal with commercials. The constant jumping around makes it difficult to really follow any one player or group and we miss out on player/caddie conversations which can be very entertaining at times.

#3: The PGA Tour is really missing the big picture if they are unwilling to allow LIV players to return at any point in the future. Certainly, there should be some sort of penance to pay, but not taking them back under any condition ever would be a serious misstep. 

#4: The team format has some merit but like @LICC said earlier the only reason it works in other sports is because teams are built around a location. Players often live in and participate in the communities of the cities where their team is located which helps develop their fanbase. It's part of why we get so excited about the Ryder Cup and why High School and College golf work. It's also precisely why the President's Cup is far less of a draw. USA vs. Whoever Qualifies Anywhere Outside of Europe IMO is just kind of dumb.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 8/17/2022 at 4:47 AM, Middler said:

+100. Professional golf may never be the same, whether that’s a good or bad thing remains to be seen. We’re becoming ever more litigious as a society, often as a weapon more than seeking justice.

If pros can play LIV and the four majors, and keep their endorsements/sponsors, the PGA is done (obviously).

As I noted in another thread, when/if this happens to the NFL,NBA and MLB - I wonder what “fans” will say?

I'm not seeing how the PGA tour is done if LiV continues.  It will be altered but there are plenty of very good players in the world and there will be enough that stay on tour because of its tradition to keep the train moving there.  I agree with your opening statement and would go a step further that it will never be the same again.  It remains to be seen if that's good or bad.

As for Reed I've always given him the benefit of the doubt.  That just went out the window with this move.  

I wonder though if the legal action that we are seen isn't being carefully orchestrated by LiV.  Just keep throwing them out there until they gain a foothold.  Could be

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

34 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

Every pro plays 15 events. That’s the minimum required. So they already get the bonus of 50k plus they actually get a paycheck for making the cut with the last place person earning the least

22 minutes ago, Undershooter said:

Phil may know a lot, but he's also lied even more. Most of the money numbers he pulled out of thin air are not even close to the truth. And it's not like it's something the PGAT can hide. Their books are public.

It's almost like FIGJAM's doing what he's done his entire career. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

can you tell me some of phil's lies , also the pga sold the media rights for $8.5 billion , like i said the media in archives is forth a big number so phil's $20 billion is not too far off .. 

1 hour ago, LICC said:

I couldn't disagree more with most of this. Golf ratings compared to other sports isn't the whole picture. The demographics within those ratings matter. Golf viewers are affluent and certain brands will pay a lot for that exposure.

I couldn't care less about golf teams. It's only compelling if there is some basis for the team to be connected- playing for country in the Ryder Cup, playing for your college team, etc. In actual professional team sports the teams are based on their location and local fan base. Nothing about these LIV teams generates any interest for me.

That's fair,  we all get to like what we do and don't.  LIV does look to be setting up regional teams,  with Japan,  Australia,  England, South Africa and other areas starting to form. That structure could provide them an actual ROI option in this. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

What changes do you think the PGA tour should make to keep top tier golfers from defecting to the LIV Tour?  I do believe that the PGA Tour need to make some concessions to help the players, but appearance/signing fees are not one of them as top tier players may only need to show up.  The following are only my suggestions and others may have better ones

1.  Increase the purses, which will allow for more places to be payed, and more for each player.

2.  Reduce number of tournament players from the typical 144 more or less to 120, giving more players a chance to win prize money to offset the money payed for entry fees, travel to and from sites, food, lodging, caddies and other related cost.

3.  Expand cut lines from approx. 70 and ties to 80 and ties to allow for more players to recover expenses.  When they miss the cut the expenses they incur are not reimbursed.  Some have huge sponsors, but most players have limited sponsorships.

If the PGA does not make some changes, I believe there will be a domino effect.  If the top tier golfers are not present at PGA tournament sites, I believe the TV coverage/revenue will eventually be reduced. Spectator admissions, merchandise and food sales will be less.  With no big names volunteer support will be slightly less.  City/town revenue will be reduced as result of less spending by spectators, players and others that support tour events.  Charities will receive less donations.  If that keeps up the LIV may become the dominate tour and the PGA tour will fade.

Let's see how the others out there think how this should be resolved after a round of golf with your buddies.

You may want to post here to keep LIV discussions in a single place.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/17/2022 at 4:47 AM, Middler said:

+100. Professional golf may never be the same, whether that’s a good or bad thing remains to be seen. We’re becoming ever more litigious as a society, often as a weapon more than seeking justice.

If pros can play LIV and the four majors, and keep their endorsements/sponsors, the PGA is done (obviously).

As I noted in another thread, when/if this happens to the NFL,NBA and MLB - I wonder what “fans” will say?

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I'm not seeing how the PGA tour is done if LiV continues.  It will be altered but there are plenty of very good players in the world and there will be enough that stay on tour because of its tradition to keep the train moving there.  I agree with your opening statement and would go a step further that it will never be the same again.  It remains to be seen if that's good or bad.

Note I said if players can play LIV AND the four majors…

If that happens, why wouldn’t more top PGA players make the move? Once there’s a critical mass of top players on LIV, more and more will go. The top PGA players already pick and choose which PGA events they enter, based on $ purse and maybe prestige - money is already a big factor in a PGA players schedule. It’s well known the 4-5 majors are the top players main goal. If they can play 14 LIV events and get paid 3-4X in prize money AND play in majors, how many will stay loyal to the PGA for years to come? The morality of it isn't going to be enough to save the PGA IMO.

The above is also the reason those who think the PGA should just let LIV players enter any events they like, LIV or PGA, are deluded. The huge LIV purses will attract more top players, and the PGAs business model suffers considerably - they’d be shooting themselves in the foot if they allow that. They may well be forced to eventually, but to just acquiesce makes zero sense.

And think about all the lower tier PGA players, and those who haven’t been started their careers, both who don’t have the stars generational wealth - they’re making a living like the rest of us. Guaranteed LIV money versus nothing for missing a PGA cut when you come out of college golf, hoping to establish a life and family?

To be clear I think LIV is a disgrace, but with such deep pockets it’s not a fair fight. Unfortunately my outlook on how this will play out is evolving, in a bad way. If Majors, endorsement/sponsors, broadcasting $ accept LIV, the temptation and momentum will kill the PGA in time. If OTOH OWGR, majors, sponsors, media keep LIV at arms length, the PGA may survive in reasonable health, but not unscathed. Fan support plays a role in the long run too, but that’s an unknown for now. And who knows maybe the Saudis will lose interest in 5-10 years, by then the PGA could be as significant as the Korn Ferry is today. Sad.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

That’s all been thoroughly documented in the other thread? I hope we’re not going to start over or run (another) concurrent thread…

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

3 hours ago, shootmyage said:

can you tell me some of phil's lies , also the pga sold the media rights for $8.5 billion , like i said the media in archives is forth a big number so phil's $20 billion is not too far off .. 

The TV deal is for $7 billion not 8.5 and if you consider $13 billy "not too far off" then wooo boy 🤐

1 hour ago, Undershooter said:

The TV deal is for $7 billion not 8.5 and if you consider $13 billy "not too far off" then wooo boy 🤐

As the $7 billion figure over a nine-year span shows, Mickelson’s $20 billion claim is outlandish. However, there are more than live rights at play. The tour also owns the highlights and a treasure chest of archived assets.

1 hour ago, shootmyage said:

As the $7 billion figure over a nine-year span shows, Mickelson’s $20 billion claim is outlandish. However, there are more than live rights at play. The tour also owns the highlights and a treasure chest of archived assets.

And mickelson and every other pga tour member and past member knows this. It’s no different than sports teams owning their media and being able to use the likeness or names of their players under contract or former players

we all get it you are mickelson homer. Hate to burst the bubble but he’s not the chap you think he or that he claims to be. Maybe pickup Shipnuck’s book and see for yourself 

1 hour ago, shootmyage said:

Not too far off or outlandish? Which is it

And I wasn't going to bring it up before, but since you mentioned it.. Isn't the 20 billi in digital assets all supposed to be archived? So that wouldn't even take into account the 7 billion of tv money.

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And mickelson and every other pga tour member and past member knows this. It’s no different than sports teams owning their media and being able to use the likeness or names of their players under contract or former players

we all get it you are mickelson homer. Hate to burst the bubble but he’s not the chap you think he or that he claims to be. Maybe pickup Shipnuck’s book and see for yourself 

Thats also not to mention the fact they were able to keep the tour running during Covid and host events by using X amount of their reserve funds. They still have to pay staff amongst thousands of other expenses. Its not just as though they get money from the TV contract and can simply put it all as part of prize money for players. Its a business and has a ton of other expenses.  

NLU had a really good pod on it and the DL3 was great in laying out several aspects of the tour business. I dunno ... of course there will be people on both sides of this. I should likely just stop weighing in as it is something I'm pretty passionate about have a hard time seeing how others justify a lot of it. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

13 hours ago, Middler said:

That’s all been thoroughly documented in the other thread? I hope we’re not going to start over or run (another) concurrent thread…

Merged Over. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thats also not to mention the fact they were able to keep the tour running during Covid and host events by using X amount of their reserve funds. They still have to pay staff amongst thousands of other expenses. Its not just as though they get money from the TV contract and can simply put it all as part of prize money for players. Its a business and has a ton of other expenses.  

NLU had a really good pod on it and the DL3 was great in laying out several aspects of the tour business. I dunno ... of course there will be people on both sides of this. I should likely just stop weighing in as it is something I'm pretty passionate about have a hard time seeing how others justify a lot of it. 

Exactly. People forget that despite their non profit status the employees of the tour do earn salaries as do executives and so on. Plus all other expenses like travel, per diem, any contracts they have, anything that’s on the course like tee box trashed signs if they put them up, etc.

I debate every time I come into this thread about responding or posting. As middler mentioned a lot of the same stuff over and over and some posts that provide no value to the thread 

@Middler - I understand your argument - the key would be tournament sponsors. If the tournament schedule as we know it in the US continues under the PGA tour it will retain its fair share of top players. It will be forced to offer larger purses, it’s already doing that, and I believe no cut fields - cuts are really antiquated anyway - tournaments market themselves based on who is in their field and then if a guy gets cut he doesn’t get paid? That makes no sense for the players.

Of course I would agree that if tournaments and sponsors bailed to LiV it would spell even bigger trouble and possibly the end of the PGA tour. I missed that in your original post. I just saw players in the 4 majors and the LiV. I don’t exactly know how you keep players out of the two Opens and only the Masters can keep them out of the Masters. They already have sone preposterous players in their invitational. 

Regardless too this dilutes golf in the short term. Only time will tell how that turns out. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD