TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

59 minutes ago, ryan.mzzz said:

you don’t buy products promoted by any golfer ever? we all do, and we are the audience that’s sold to the advertisers by the tour. I don’t mean it to be personal to you specifically, but in general.

Nope,  I am a try it and see if it works for me kind of person.  The product is may  be promoted by a player but I don’t select or use products based on who endorses. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 minutes ago, LICC said:

Money is part of it. Not all of it, and not none of it, but part of it. 

Maybe they should cap career earnings once they have enough to support  themselves.  That would prevent PGA players from appearing so greedy; once they reach that threshold, they can play those meaningful events and play simply for the glory. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I read the letter from the tour…increase money, higher tier events for top name players, guarantee to get in other events….almost like all of this is about money.   If the players are right about it being about winning majors and the traditions of the PGA tour,  they should t need to increase money, the players should just come because they are the best “employer” and have the best product, and provide the measuring stake for how players want to be judged.   Guess it really all comes back to money even on the PGA Tour.  

3 hours ago, TBS said:

Well- I think Jay needs to really be clear where this money is coming from. He didnt just meet with the CFO and say find the extra millions that we have hidden. This has been years long play when they renegotiated TV contracts long before LIV. So the tour is doing exactly what its setup to do pay the players as much as possible. 

Months ago in one of his first pressers, Monahan said many Corporate sponsors contacted him and asked what they could do to help defend the PGA, that's where a significant part of the new money came from. That was discussed here long ago, but this thread is doomed to repeat itself over and over again.

Anyone who assumes the PGA was just hiding money (as has been alleged before), on what basis?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t buy any product based on what celebrity, athlete, talking head on tv promoters it’s.

For sports gear it has to perform for me to buy it. For electronics I read up on the tech, see what the professionals in the field have to say and then determine what’s best for my use.

No one believes they buy a product because of a celebrity athlete endorsement. It goes to brand perception and more of a subconscious perception that affects peoples'  buying decisions.

3 minutes ago, LICC said:

No one believes they buy a product because of a celebrity athlete endorsement. It goes to brand perception and more of a subconscious perception that affects peoples'  buying decisions.

You may well be right for many.

I will admit to considering a product because a favorite player endorses it, but I won't buy it unless I am otherwise convinced it's the best option for the product I am in the market for. And again, I use MGS as a primary resource for all golf purchases. If Sergio or Bryson endorse it, I won't buy even if MGS recommends it...

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34452133/top-pga-tour-golfers-commit-play-more-events-12-tournaments-purses-15-million-20-million

"Top players from the PGA Tour are committing to compete in at least 20 events starting next season, including 12 elevated tournaments that will have average purses of $20 million, commissioner Jay Monahan announced Wednesday."

Good lord - I guess that's how you try to stop the bleeding.  Also, the PIP goes from $50 mill purse to $100, with winner getting $15 million (and rest of purse split amongst other 19 (up from the current top 10)).

It makes sense - top stars are being asked to only commit to 20 weeks, and 12 of those weeks will be purses of $20 mill - that's a huge uptick.  

Thoughts? 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

17 minutes ago, Middler said:

Months ago in one of his first pressers, Monahan said many Corporate sponsors contacted him and asked what they could do to help defend the PGA, that's where a significant part of the new money came from. That was discussed here long ago, but this thread is doomed to repeat itself over and over again.

Anyone who assumes the PGA was just hiding money (as has been alleged before), on what basis?

Never questioned where the money came from nor do I care.  In my opinion it shows that the tour believes it is about money and not winning specific events and tradition.   Few of the players will admit that it is about money. The solution the PGA tour seems to come up with is catering to the top 30 player by throwing more money at them.  Why won’t the PGA tour just come out and say we are going to throw as much money as we can to the top players so we can keep them here.   Change from non profit status and let’s just pay them to be a member of the tour.  

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Never questioned where the money came from nor do I care.  In my opinion it shows that the tour believes it is about money and not winning specific events and tradition.   Few of the players will admit that it is about money. The solution the PGA tour seems to come up with is catering to the top 30 player by throwing more money at them.  Why won’t the PGA tour just come out and say we are going to throw as much money as we can to the top players so we can keep them here.   Change from non profit status and let’s just pay them to be a member of the tour.  

I think the basically are now doing that. There will be a minimum earnings of 500,000 for all tour players, plus 5,000 for each missed cute to help cover travel. So they are really attacking both ends. The top 30 or so and those just getting their card or struggling. Interesting to see how it all plays out.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, LICC said:

What are you basing that on? Increased spending on PIP and purses? That is not an A to B conclusion you can make without more facts and analysis.

Did you watch the press conference? One of the reporters asked Monaghan where they got the money for all of these increased purses and funding. His response was 3 things but I'll only cite the first one as it is most applicable and it was the #1 reason. He said they have money in the bank because they were frugal with their spending. You have got to think that the amounts they have in the bank are substantially larger than what they just promised because they said this is the plan going forward. I don't know what the total dollar amount everything adds up to be but it has to be substantial and for them to promise all of this money for the foreseeable future, it has to be a lot of money sitting in the bank. They did say that sponsors will step up but the majority of the money was from the PGA bank account.

IMO, Phil's comments were actually pretty accurate.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

I read the letter from the tour…increase money, higher tier events for top name players, guarantee to get in other events….almost like all of this is about money.   If the players are right about it being about winning majors and the traditions of the PGA tour,  they should t need to increase money, the players should just come because they are the best “employer” and have the best product, and provide the measuring stake for how players want to be judged.   Guess it really all comes back to money even on the PGA Tour.  

I agree. The top players that this will affect most (I think), are already very well paid. This will only make them even higher paid. This is going to help try to keep some of the top tier guys from jumping ship but it is not about "growing the game" like everyone says. Want to grow the game? Put all that money into local scenes, schools, and programs to get young kids up and running playing golf. I know that they already do that to some extent but they would need to significantly increase that spending.

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I can't understand your point here. Money is part of it. The PGA Tour has said that. It's not the only part, otherwise every player would jump to LIV which regardless of these changes pays more. Therefore, money is part of it, but not the only part. So what?

5 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

Did you watch the press conference? One of the reporters asked Monaghan where they got the money for all of these increased purses and funding. His response was 3 things but I'll only cite the first one as it is most applicable and it was the #1 reason. He said they have money in the bank because they were frugal with their spending. You have got to think that the amounts they have in the bank are substantially larger than what they just promised because they said this is the plan going forward. I don't know what the total dollar amount everything adds up to be but it has to be substantial and for them to promise all of this money for the foreseeable future, it has to be a lot of money sitting in the bank. They did say that sponsors will step up but the majority of the money was from the PGA bank account.

The PGA Tour's finances are public record. They do not have secret money in a bank that is funding the next decade of increased payouts and purses. Please post his exact quote and we can discuss it.

2 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

I agree. The top players that this will affect most (I think), are already very well paid. This will only make them even higher paid. This is going to help try to keep some of the top tier guys from jumping ship but it is not about "growing the game" like everyone says. Want to grow the game? Put all that money into local scenes, schools, and programs to get young kids up and running playing golf. I know that they already do that to some extent but they would need to significantly increase that spending.

The PGA Tour didn't say this is about growing the game. It is about competing against a predatory rival to ensure its survival. 

The PGA Tour has been putting money into local programs for years. Unfortunately those programs may be a victim of the LIV competition forcing the PGA Tour's hand to redirect resources.

4 minutes ago, LICC said:

The PGA Tour's finances are public record. They do not have secret money in a bank that is funding the next decade of increased payouts and purses. Please post his exact quote and we can discuss it.

Jump to 11 minutes, 45 seconds. https://www.pgatour.com/news/2022/08/24/pga-tour-top-players-make-unprecedented-commitment-to-pga-tour-future-schedule.html

26 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. He didn’t say which if any of the three sources were the “#1 reason.” But at least your consistent with your PGA bashing agenda. You’re welcome to prefer LIV, some of us don’t.

When asked how the Tour is planning to fund the cash infusion to tournament purses and other expenses to reward and identify the top players, Monahan said, “The Tour is having its strongest year in history of the PGA Tour and is performing well ahead of budget.

“Secondly, as you’ve heard me talk about before, the Tour through the years has been very prudent in managing its finances and building reserves and being in a position to be able to invest in programs that are going to help the Tour grow. That’s what they’re there for, and that’s what we’ll continue to use them for.

“I would say additionally our partners, our sponsors, and all of our partners who want to get behind and are getting behind the direction that we’re going in, want to be a part of the continued growth and evolution of the Tour. They recognize that with the changes we’re talking about today, the changes that we’ve made prior to today, and the direction we’re heading in, we’re going to be creating more value.

“When you create more value, you’re going to get more income coming into the business.

Those are the three primary things that really help us to make this move.” today and will help us grow as we go forward.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

5 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

He said increased revenue this year, strong reserves, and increased future projected revenue from corporate partners. He didn't say one was more attributable than another. There is nothing untoward in any of that.

17 minutes ago, LICC said:

I can't understand your point here. Money is part of it. The PGA Tour has said that. It's not the only part, otherwise every player would jump to LIV which regardless of these changes pays more. Therefore, money is part of it, but not the only part. So what?

As you have pointed out in the past taking more money is simply greed. 

6 minutes ago, Middler said:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. He didn’t say which if any of the three sources were the “#1 reason.” But at least your consistent with your PGA bashing agenda.

Meh, agree to disagree. Typically, when you list reasons, you list the most important reason first. 

I am not bashing the PGA, and don't think I ever have. I have talked about things I don't like about the tour as well as things I do like about the tour. I do think that Monaghan really mishandled this whole LIV situation. You are just upset because I haven't given the tour my undying devotion the way you have. I am here to be entertained, not to choose sides because of politics. I watch both PGA and LIV events. Sorry, not sorry.

Meh, agree to disagree. Typically, when you list reasons, you list the most important reason first. 

I am not bashing the PGA, and don't think I ever have. I have talked about things I don't like about the tour as well as things I do like about the tour. I do think that Monaghan really mishandled this whole LIV situation. You are just upset because I haven't given the tour my undying devotion the way you have. I am here to be entertained, not to choose sides because of politics. I watch both PGA and LIV events. Sorry, not sorry.

For the record, he didn't mention the reserves first. He mentioned the higher than expected revenue this year first.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The legacy BS that we have heard for the last year was just that, BS!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

11 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

The first thing he mentioned was “The Tour is having its strongest year in history of the PGA Tour and is performing well ahead of budget.”

But keep kidding yourself.

Not at all upset that you prefer LIV over the PGA, it’s the stream of self serving misinformation you spew that’s tiresome. Like obviously misstating what Monaghan said…and trying to defend it.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

FWIW, I am actually bummed that LIV exists. It has fragmented the players and makes it so that only half of the players I want to actually watch are on the tour. The other half went to LIV. My reaction to that is that I will watch these players wherever they are. PGA or LIV, it doesn't matter. I'm not drawing a line in the sand.

FWIW, I am actually bummed that LIV exists. It has fragmented the players and makes it so that only half of the players I want to actually watch are on the tour. The other half went to LIV. My reaction to that is that I will watch these players wherever they are. PGA or LIV, it doesn't matter. I'm not drawing a line in the sand.

What exactly do you think Monahan mishandled? What is it that you think he should have done differently that would have led to LIV not happening? Norman had been working with Mickelson for a long time on LIV and the Saudis were launching it no matter what Monahan would have done.

3 minutes ago, LICC said:

What exactly do you think Monahan mishandled? What is it that you think he should have done differently that would have led to LIV not happening? Norman had been working with Mickelson for a long time on LIV and the Saudis were launching it no matter what Monahan would have done.

If these changes were done prior to LIV starting very few if any of the players would be with LIV. And LIV would not exist without them. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

image.png.3af2365d811848f9fabee84977f82552.png

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

7 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

If these changes were done prior to LIV starting very few if any of the players would be with LIV. And LIV would not exist without them. 

Disagree. A decent number of the LIV players would have left for more money anyway.

I looked at the public pga tour financial statement earlier this year and i believe they had a $700M reserve.  I would have to make sure my memory is accurate later when i can look it up on a laptop and not my phone.  i dont remember what year the statement was filed for.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

32 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

To a point, I agree with you. I think some guys would have jumped ship regardless but I would guess that they could have retained some of the players.
 I saw on Twitter where Dan Rapaport said that a lot of these changes are what Mickelson had been calling for the entire time. 

25 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I looked at the public pga tour financial statement earlier this year and i believe they had a $700M reserve.  I would have to make sure my memory is accurate later when i can look it up on a laptop and not my phone.  i dont remember what year the statement was filed for.

Earlier this year Monahan said the PGA Tour's reserves were $225 million. Which is not excessive for an organization with $3.8 billion in assets.