TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

11 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

So are you saying to let the big-name players leave if they want to because they will just have new big-name players in the near future? 

If so, I don’t think you are necessarily wrong, but it would be a bold move.

Not all big name players are willing to leave. Phil is at the end of his career anyway and really hasn't been missed if we're being honest. DJ and Cam Smith are by far and away the biggest loss for the PGA Tour. I would be far more inclined to follow Will Zalatoris, Collin Morikawa, Scottie Scheffler, Justin Thomas or Matt Fitzpatrick than anyone currently playing LIV with the noted exception of Cam Smith. 

LIV fields still aren't overly loaded. They are better than they were in June but still pail in comparison to what we saw from the Playoffs. That Zalatoris win a few weeks ago was as exciting as anything golf has seen in years. Those guys are the future. Build around that and the Tour will be just fine. 

44 minutes ago, Middler said:

So LIV is planning on helping out the little guys? Of course not, they are pushing the "little guys" off the bottom of the roster after every tournament. If both big and little names are important, why does LIV continue to throw big money at recruiting PGA players with name recognition?

The PGA has a long tradition of feeder tours (DP, KF) for the little guys and potential future stars, and a post tour (Champions). I don't see any evidence LIV is planning to develop feeder tours, they just want to poach from every other tour. They are straight up buying a tour, not developing anything for the future.

Your construction experience, while like most of our careers, is not analogous to PGA v LIV at all. Though your foreman would be (much) harder to replace than the rest of the crew - kinda like elite players...

Because of your perceived notion that I am this big Pro LIV guy and that they can do no wrong, you misread what I said. I was not referring to LIV in any way, shape, or form. I was responding to what Hahn was saying about the PGA taking care of the big names and neglecting the little guys.

I actually agree strongly that LIV is jacking the little names as soon as they get new names to fill the spots. The only bright side that I think I see is that the people getting the boot are from the Asian Tour where they didn't get black listed. They can go back to their tours (at least I think so).

Driver: Titleist TSr 2 @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Taylormade GT Max

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

2 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

The PGA needs to keep their big names, absolutely. But there will be no tour with only big names. You have to focus on both the big and little names at the same time. I know they did some things for the little guys but they probably could have done more.

43 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

Because of your perceived notion that I am this big Pro LIV guy and that they can do no wrong, you misread what I said. I was not referring to LIV in any way, shape, or form. I was responding to what Hahn was saying about the PGA taking care of the big names and neglecting the little guys.

I actually agree strongly that LIV is jacking the little names as soon as they get new names to fill the spots. The only bright side that I think I see is that the people getting the boot are from the Asian Tour where they didn't get black listed. They can go back to their tours (at least I think so).

I don’t think I misread anything. YOU said the PGA has to “focus on both the big and little names at the same time.” Why should the PGA protect the “little names” while PGA “big names” are being poached? And if focusing on the little names (along with the big) is a better strategy for the PGA to defend their tour, why shouldn’t LIV, especially since they have FAR greater $ resources at their disposal? I honestly don’t care what you prefer, just trying to make sense of your POV…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I’m still wondering if any more sponsors will reduce or withdraw endorsements from their players who’ve gone to LIV. There were some initial withdrawals by RBC, Rocket Mortgage and UPS plus Amstel, KPMG, Workday dropped and Callaway “paused” Phil - arguably a special case. But nothing since. They’re certainly not getting the same TV or direct (actual fans at tournaments) exposure they were so far with LIV. The Tour Championship had about 4 million viewers vs 60,000-90,000 LIV viewers on YT and FB. I assume sponsors are all laying low taking a wait and see approach watching to see how customers react.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

The PGA needs to keep their big names, absolutely. But there will be no tour with only big names. You have to focus on both the big and little names at the same time. I know they did some things for the little guys but they probably could have done more.
I work in construction and look at it like this: I need my foreman just as much as I need the rest of the guys on the crew. Without both of them, the work is not going to get done.

The little names are irrelevant to the Tour's success other than ensuring the young up-and-comers have an avenue to play on the Tour while they develop and become big names.

13 minutes ago, Middler said:

I don’t think I misread anything. YOU said the PGA has to “focus on both the big and little names at the same time.” Why should the PGA protect the “little names” while PGA “big names” are being poached? And if focusing on the little names (along with the big) is a better strategy for the PGA to defend their tour, why shouldn’t LIV, especially since they have FAR greater $ resources at their disposal? I honestly don’t care what you prefer, just trying to make sense of your POV…

The PGA and LIV have completely different modes of operation and plans for the future. LIV doesn’t have to worry about caring for the little guy and bringing up talent. They go after what they want with their bookoo bucks. Like it or not, their feeder series is the PGA.

The PGA can’t do that so they need to worry about losing their big guys as well as bringing up new talent to replace the guys that they lose to LIV. That’s what I mean when I say that PGA needs to look out for and invest in all of their talent, big and little.

This is not a perfect comparison but imagine if Apple or Google just poached a bunch of talented employees from smaller companies with less ability to pay the insane wages and perks that Apple can. Those smaller companies need to try and keep their stronger talent but they sure better be training and bringing up the new people to replace the ones that they just lost.

9 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

The PGA and LIV have completely different modes of operation and plans for the future. LIV doesn’t have to worry about caring for the little guy and bringing up talent. They go after what they want with their bookoo bucks. Like it or not, their feeder series is the PGA.

The PGA can’t do that so they need to worry about losing their big guys as well as bringing up new talent to replace the guys that they lose to LIV. That’s what I mean when I say that PGA needs to look out for and invest in all of their talent, big and little.

This is not a perfect comparison but imagine if Apple or Google just poached a bunch of talented employees from smaller companies with less ability to pay the insane wages and perks that Apple can. Those smaller companies need to try and keep their stronger talent but they sure better be training and bringing up the new people to replace the ones that they just lost.

So LIV can just let their current roster age out and become irrelevant with no one coming up, or they can plan to poach from the PGA, DP and Asian tour forever. Which? The latter I assume to be your view.

The considerable threat to the PGA is RIGHT NOW, holding on to stars is all that matters NOW. If they lose that battle, their bench won’t matter.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

3 minutes ago, Middler said:

So LIV can just let their current roster age out and become irrelevant with no one coming up, or they can plan to poach from the PGA, DP and Asian tour forever. Which?

Like I said in my post, as people "age out and become irrelevant" LIV will just keep poaching from the other tours the way they did to get their series started. I have no idea if LIV will ever actually try to develop an in-house development series. If, or until they do, they will use all of their money to buy who they want and replace whoever they don't feel is of value to them anymore. I don't know why you keep trying to say that I'm saying conflicting things.

3 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

I work in construction and look at it like this: I need my foreman just as much as I need the rest of the guys on the crew. Without both of them, the work is not going to get done.

Hahn's entire point of view is extremely short sighted imo. The PGAT is in essence taking care of the little guy by doing what they are, because the little guys have nowhere to go if all the best players leave for liv. The Tour's TV contract crumbles, and the fan support falls off the face of the earth. People don't show up to see the Hahns of the world, they come for the big names.

His issue with non-elevated events being made irrelevant with the new schedule doesn't hold a lot of water either, since those events are already pretty irrelevant. 3M, John Deere, Barbasol, and Sanderson for example are all generally snoozers because they lack star power.

Keith Mitchell made a great point on the NLU pod by saying, what if you rotated those type of events to "elevated" once every 5 years. The sponsor would get so much more out of that than randomly getting a top 20 player or 2 every couple of years, if their schedule worked out perfectly.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

looking at the liv lineup for boston this weekend i see liv dropped the japanese players , in the team events they did very bad with only one very good player they could not complete .

i think liv was thinking they had a chance to get matsuyama to head up the japanese team but that may have fell through for now so good by japanese team ..

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

The Tour hasn't done a good enough job promoting the feeder tours like KFT. Just my opinion but they could get rid of the Senior Tour and put KFT on TV more often. Especially now that the PGA Tour will have an actual offseason. 

Six nailed it.  The Tour has failed to adapt to their environment and they have themselves to blame.  

Rather than treat their individual players like a commodity they should have realized the evolution of player branding meant these guys will take every opportunity to set themselves apart.  Anyone with a modicum of success has an initial branding and social media team who is preparing them for life during and after competitive golf

When the off-season arrives they'll (players) will still need a means of generating revenue.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

So I think I just had a bit of an “ah-ha” moment. If someone were just in a bad car crash and got really injured, the medics show up and the first thing they do is stop the bleeding and try to get them stable. Once they are stable, the doctors will go to work fixing things and help the person get healthy again. 

The PGA just got seriously injured and the first thing they need to do is stop the bleeding. Don’t lose any other tour players. Once they get stable, they can try to get better. Start focusing on the KFT and lesser known PGA players to bring them up.

That what some of you are saying?

17 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thank you all for the reviews! Appreciate getting them up on time and the job you put into them. I've posted the banner so hopefully we see a bit more traffic over the next week or so with them. 

Also I've added your Tester 22 badges! 

Again thank you so much, you were a great simple and easy group to work with and we really appreciate the work you did with the reviews.

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Nobody outside of diehard golf lunatics (like me) knew who Scottie Scheffler was three years ago. Now, he's the #1 ranked player in the world. I'm old enough to remember when you could replace Scheffler with Rory McIlroy in that analogy. The big names weren't always big names.

The Tour hasn't done a good enough job promoting the feeder tours like KFT. Just my opinion but they could get rid of the Senior Tour and put KFT on TV more often. Especially now that the PGA Tour will have an actual offseason. 

Great point on the feeder tours. It brought to mind something I heard last week on successful MLB teams, they invest heavily in their farm systems. This is what has hurt the LA Angels, they invested in their stars but let their farm system flounder. The Dodgers are praised for the quality of their farm system. Their farm system let them trade for stars but their money lets them keep the stars.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

So I’m thinking LiV should adopt some of our rules. Often when I play with friends, including mini tour friends, for a few bucks, we play with very different rules. Call backs would be so much fun. Could you imagine watching a team event where they could call back a hole out or made 40 footer?

wouldn’t you love an event where Cam Smith could call back Bryson’s remarkable drive on a 350 hole to 3 feet?

Do it again, Bryson!!! 🤣

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

So I’m thinking LiV should adopt some of our rules. Often when I play with friends, including mini tour friends, for a few bucks, we play with very different rules. Call backs would be so much fun. Could you imagine watching a team event where they could call back a hole out or made 40 footer?

wouldn’t you love an event where Cam Smith could call back Bryson’s remarkable drive on a 350 hole to 3 feet?

Do it again, Bryson!!! 🤣

I’m actually in on this. If it’s going to be a 54 hole exhibition for winnings taken out of signing bonus, at least make it entertaining. 

They should be able to bet some of their signing bonus too. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

18 minutes ago, TBS said:

I’m actually in on this. If it’s going to be a 54 hole exhibition for winnings taken out of signing bonus, at least make it entertaining. 

They should be able to bet some of their signing bonus too. 

Yes! That’s what would make it fun - let’s have some new golf - something different - presses - all the kind of stuff we do. 

Oh wait - look at that water tower - can you hit a 4 iron over that? I bet I can hit my 3 over it! 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

16 hours ago, Middler said:

I’m still wondering if any more sponsors will reduce or withdraw endorsements from their players who’ve gone to LIV. There were some initial withdrawals by RBC, Rocket Mortgage and UPS plus Amstel, KPMG, Workday dropped and Callaway “paused” Phil - arguably a special case. But nothing since. They’re certainly not getting the same TV or direct (actual fans at tournaments) exposure they were so far with LIV. The Tour Championship had about 4 million viewers vs 60,000-90,000 LIV viewers on YT and FB. I assume sponsors are all laying low taking a wait and see approach watching to see how customers react.

I saw that older Rory & DJ TM ad during the playoffs a number of times and wondered if TM was using it as a test balloon for DJ & LIV.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

14 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

So I think I just had a bit of an “ah-ha” moment. If someone were just in a bad car crash and got really injured, the medics show up and the first thing they do is stop the bleeding and try to get them stable. Once they are stable, the doctors will go to work fixing things and help the person get healthy again. 

The PGA just got seriously injured and the first thing they need to do is stop the bleeding. Don’t lose any other tour players. Once they get stable, they can try to get better. Start focusing on the KFT and lesser known PGA players to bring them up.

That what some of you are saying?

@tommc23it’s actually ‘shooing” the doctors and bystanders away from the crash before treating the injured from my personal experience🙂

Just some levity…it’s a good analogy…

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

24 minutes ago, bens197 said:

@tommc23it’s actually ‘shooing” the doctors and bystanders away from the crash before treating the injured from my personal experience🙂

Just some levity…it’s a good analogy…

Yea definitely keeping doctors away because they do nothing but mess things up on a car accident I know from experience. The hospital is where they belong but I get the analogy as well

15 hours ago, bens197 said:

Six nailed it.  The Tour has failed to adapt to their environment and they have themselves to blame.  

Rather than treat their individual players like a commodity they should have realized the evolution of player branding meant these guys will take every opportunity to set themselves apart.  Anyone with a modicum of success has an initial branding and social media team who is preparing them for life during and after competitive golf

When the off-season arrives they'll (players) will still need a means of generating revenue.  

Which was Tiger's beef long before Phil's.  The PGA paid lip service to both of them for years leading up to this and that continued right up to the point Phil chose his controversial path with public comments and move to LIV.  Imagine for a moment had Jay and staff brought these two in to discuss the new changes before Phil's signing. Does anyone not think this would have likely changed where we stand now?  It's my belief that, had they been able to keep Phil from signing, LIV is DOA. 

I know lots of folks here do not like Phil, but hell, even Chamblee acknowledges how huge a loss Phil is to the PGA Tour. If Jay had all these new, monetary rich, changes in hand during the lead up to LIV, why not pull Tiger, Phil, Rory, Speith, Thomas, etc. into a meeting to discuss and get input?  I'm not saying Phil might not have still have been lured away by the $200M, but I suspect not.  Jay has played this hand of cards really poorly IMO.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

Which was Tiger's beef long before Phil's.  The PGA paid lip service to both of them for years leading up to this and that continued right up to the point Phil chose his controversial path with public comments and move to LIV.  Imagine for a moment had Jay and staff brought these two in to discuss the new changes before Phil's signing. Does anyone not think this would have likely changed where we stand now?  It's my belief that, had they been able to keep Phil from signing, LIV is DOA. 

I know lots of folks here do not like Phil, but hell, even Chamblee acknowledges how huge a loss Phil is to the PGA Tour. If Jay had all these new, monetary rich, changes in hand during the lead up to LIV, why not pull Tiger, Phil, Rory, Speith, Thomas, etc. into a meeting to discuss and get input?  I'm not saying Phil might not have still have been lured away by the $200M, but I suspect not.  Jay has played this hand of cards really poorly IMO.

i agree with all above , chamblee wants to kick phil and norman out of the world golf hall of fame , it was that kind neg talk   that  put gas on the fire , people are now finding out that mickelson was much more correct than he was wrong . 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think that there is a pretty good chance that you are correct. If nothing else, it would’ve made, LIV up their price tags even higher to get the big names to leave the PGA TOUR.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Most CEOs/Commissioners wouldn't be planning for an upstart competitor with 4X the $$$$ to appear. No enterprise could prevent that kind of overwhelming $ attack. We'll see how it turns out but it would be miracle if the PGA to come out of this without major damage - all depends on OWGR, majors, sponsors/endorsements and fan support now - tbd. If LIV gets their players in on all that, the PGA has no chance...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Jay has played this hand of cards really poorly IMO.

1000%

This is old time, corporate boomer logic being played out in real life.  “Be grateful for what you have” worked in the 60’s & 70’s and up until maybe the early 2000’s…but that style of leadership will only leave you with your nuts in your hand.  

Jay is the wrong guy for the moment.  He’s proven it.

6 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Yea definitely keeping doctors away because they do nothing but mess things up on a car accident I know from experience. The hospital is where they belong but I get the analogy as well

I’m a doctor how can I help?

You can get back in your car and leave.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

16 minutes ago, Middler said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Most CEOs/Commissioners wouldn't be planning for an upstart competitor with 4X the $$$$ to appear. No enterprise could prevent that kind of overwhelming $ attack. We'll see how it turns out but it would be miracle if the PGA to come out of this without major damage - all depends on OWGR, majors, sponsors/endorsements and fan support now - tbd. If LIV gets their players in on all that, the PGA has no chance...

Might this be considered a "hostile takeover"?  Actually, I think the PGA will eventually win the day and remain the dominant and most followed professional golf tour for years, maybe decades to come.  I say this even if LIV players get OWGR's, majors, major OEM sponsors, major broadcast contracts, and fan support.  LIV at best just becomes the PGA's main competition but I think the long and rich history of the PGA tips it in their favor.

Personally, I just like watching golf events - all venues.  I'll continue to watch the PGA, Champions Tour, feeder tours, LPGA, USGA, college, etc, and now LIV.  Considering that 90% of the programs they currently offer as television entertainment makes my eye's bleed, another golf venue is all good. 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

25 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Might this be considered a "hostile takeover"?  Actually, I think the PGA will eventually win the day and remain the dominant and most followed professional golf tour for years, maybe decades to come.  I say this even if LIV players get OWGR's, majors, major OEM sponsors, major broadcast contracts, and fan support.  LIV at best just becomes the PGA's main competition but I think the long and rich history of the PGA tips it in their favor.

Personally, I just like watching golf events - all venues.  I'll continue to watch the PGA, Champions Tour, feeder tours, LPGA, USGA, college, etc, and now LIV.  Considering that 90% of the programs they currently offer as television entertainment makes my eye's bleed, another golf venue is all good. 👍

While I want to agree the PGA could fare well, I don't think that's possible if LIV (players) get OWGR points, major eligibility, keep their endorsement contracts, TV contracts and fan support. If LIV players can pick and choose their events, play the LIV schedule, play majors and play in PGA tournaments at will (sounds like it will be after Jan 2024 before we'll have any idea) - I would expect even more (top) PGA players will sign with LIV, and it would be hard to blame them for cashing in on their golf prowess. Even if they don't get big signing bonuses like top LIV players have, why wouldn't they play LIV events for the huge purses, play majors for prestige (the priority for all top PGA players), and throw in some richer more prestigious PGA tournaments e.g. Players, Memorial, Bay Hill, Genesis. If that sort of chaos is the ultimate situation, the PGA Tour with annual revenues of $500M are not going to survive a $2B (to start) challenge from the Saudis. $2B is a trivial part of PIF, they could throw FAR more at golf if they want to. I can't imagine PGA corporate sponsors and PGA reserves will quadruple their revenues just because they need to. We'll see what the PGA elite tournaments do, and I'd like to be proven wrong, but if LIV gets their way I still think the PGA will be a shadow of it's former league. And as I've said before, if the Saudis decide they're not getting the return or PR benefits they are looking for - who's to say they won't pull the plug in 5 years. PIF has always been investments that are expected to provide good $ returns in the long run. Then we'll have real chaos as the then decimated PGA tries to reconstitute itself.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I certainly feel like it's a hostile takeover attempt from LIV. As many in the professional golfing world have said throughout this whole ordeal, GN has had a 30-year vendetta against the PGA Tour that he finally found funding for. None of his actions throughout while poaching talent from the PGA Tour has been amicable and there's never been an attempt from him or LIV to actually work with the PGA Tour. I continue to have no interest in LIV, mainly because of this hostility in how LIV has come in and disrupted professional golf. Honestly, my interest in professional golf as a whole has suffered since this LIV situation came to fruition. Just makes me sad to see how fractured professional golf has become.

I have my own feelings on the source of the funding of LIV which I've already mentioned in a past post in this thread so I won't rehash it, but lately I've been thinking this whole LIV situation may have played much better with the PGA Tour, DP World Tour, and whatever other tours, if they came in and were like we want to team up to put on a global series of big money team golf exhibitions instead of how they've gone about it.

Ultimately, people can criticize Monahan until the cows come home saying he reacted too harshly but he reacted to a threat that was hellbent on destroying the establishment that is his duty to protect.

Another thing that I've really not enjoyed since the announcements of the new changes to how the PGA Tour will operate is all of the thinkpieces of how "Phil was right" and deserves to be "forgiven" for all he did. There is so much more to things than just being right. How you go about it also matters quite a lot. The ends don't always justify the means.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Some pretty harsh words from a Golf Saudi ambassador for LIV:

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

i don't think the pga tour hase anything to worry about , looking at the pga top 25 there is about 15 which are super A player , looking at the liv lineup i think they have 6 golfers that could match up with the top 15 tour players ., if the top 7 pga players play their A game the only liv players that could play with them is dj , cam s, if they play their best .

one thing the tour cannot do is lose any more top players like cantly , matsuyama , scott .. 

biggest liv waste of money ---pat perez 

Edited by shootmyage

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I have my own feelings on the source of the funding of LIV which I've already mentioned in a past post in this thread so I won't rehash it, but lately I've been thinking this whole LIV situation may have played much better with the PGA Tour, DP World Tour, and whatever other tours, if they came in and were like we want to team up to put on a global series of big money team golf exhibitions instead of how they've gone about it.

Well said. For all those who’ve said the PGA blew it, they should have tried to work with LIV - how about the upstart new kid on the block try to find a way to work with the PGA? LIV has been nothing but adversarial from the start. And if the Saudis wanted to improve their reputation via sportswashing, maybe working WITH the PGA would have done more toward gaining acceptance than trying to destroy them. I have to believe Greg and Phil wanted to harm the PGA first and foremost, make a bunch of money for themselves and sportswashing was further down THEIR personal priorities (Phil has admitted same).

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1