TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

13 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

also think the tour has handled this badly from day one and jay monahan has looked foolish at pretty much every turn. 

What do you think Monahan should have done differently? And don’t say meet with LIV to work together. That was never an option. 

13 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

i think the OWGR is due for a review anyway. the board is rife with conflicts of interest and how does the BMW PGA winner receive less points than the winner of the fortinet?

im not saying LIV deserves points yet. just that there are a LOT of things in professional golf that probably need a second look. 

It was just updated with the new rules starting last month.

4 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I think LIV is a professional golf league putting on events with some of the best golfers on the planet. 

Nobody is denying this

I think the OWGR was setup with no thought that there would ever be a competing Tier 1 league.

Owgr was established in 1986 and has had nearly 20 updates since. It’s not about competing leagues since technically all the tours are competing with each for the best players. But I’m sure you will disagree so won’t really delve deeper into it.

think it's rules for entry were to vet developmental leagues with unknown player quality to determine fair point distribution.

It was to set a standard for determine points awarded in professional tours based on a criteria to determine ranking points

What I think is that a system that doesn't rank DJ, Cam Smith, Joaquin,  Bryson, Gooch, etc is very flawed.

What I want,  is to see the best players in the world competing against each other at the 4 majors. They are the events I tune in for more then a Sunday afternoon.

It’s the players fault for leaving. They knew LIV didn’t have OWGR points for their tournaments. They played chicken with the PGA tour and lost. They thought that they were going to be able to play wherever whenever they wanted or at least would play in the majors only even if suspended by the PGA tour.

Norman doesn’t care about being a part of the system, he wants to break the system up and in his world OWGR is pointless because there would only be one professional global tour and you don’t need to worry about all the stuff in the OWGR rules.

The system isn’t preventing those guys from playing in the majors or being seen in Sunday. Their choice to go after money, easier schedule and whatever other justifications they come up with for their decisions to leave the PGA tour while knowing exactly what the consequences would be, especially those who left after others were suspended. They want their cake and eat it too.

5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

My bias is that DJ and Bryson are two of my 5 favorite golfers. For me, they make golf fun to watch so I watch LIV.

And this sums up all the hot takes and conflict comments in this thread. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 hours ago, LICC said:

What success? LIV's viewership numbers are rock bottom.

The PGA Tour's viewership has been consistently strong for years and its revenues higher than ever.

Of course, you're right......viewership for the rival tour is worst than a sewing video on YOUTUBE.

Paying a bunch of rebels $100M contracts are not considered a success. IMO

i play in a usga tournament every week , about 60 golfers , age 30-85 ( me , easy to shoot my  age ) hc +4 to 25 , i asked everyone i play with if they watch liv golf and about 75% say no , most don't know how to watch it , that's why norman should give liv to fox free for a year or 2 , pick up a lot of viewers , then get a contract with fox . 

as far as  owgr goes  , the board is loaded with arms of the pga so liv is wasting their time , the top 10 players should try and qualify foe the us open and pga championship , forget the open and augusta   , as far as the open goes ben hogan played it only one time so if someone don't play it they are in good company .

as far as jm goes he had a lot of time to enact the payouts they now have and did nothing until the bottom fell out ..

Edited by shootmyage

20 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

as far as  owgr goes  , the board is loaded with arms of the pga so liv is wasting their time , the top 10 players should try and qualify foe the us open and pga championship , forget the open and augusta ( i remember their history   )

The issue for LIV isn’t the people on the board, it’s that the tours format doesn’t meet any of the criteria to be recognized. It could be made up of nobody from the PGA or DP world tour and the issue is still the same. Don’t get why people choose to ignore this or that it’s the players own fault for being in the situation they are in. I know some will claim they were lied to about being able to still play on the PGA tour (even though the tour made it clear) and some left after they saw the repercussions already applied. The players are simply crying to get someone to look past their choices and let them eat their cake.

You do realize that the top 10 automatically qualify for all the majors as does usually the top 50 or so? So why would any need to “try and qualify”

Most of if not all of the top guys that went to LIV have exemptions without needing the world ranking points. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The issue for LIV isn’t the people on the board, it’s that the tours format doesn’t meet any of the criteria to be recognized. It could be made up of nobody from the PGA or DP world tour and the issue is still the same. Don’t get why people choose to ignore this or that it’s the players own fault for being in the situation they are in. I know some will claim they were lied to about being able to still play on the PGA tour (even though the tour made it clear) and some left after they saw the repercussions already applied. The players are simply crying to get someone to look past their choices and let them eat their cake.

You do realize that the top 10 automatically qualify for all the majors as does usually the top 50 or so? So why would any need to “try and qualify”

Most of if not all of the top guys that went to LIV have exemptions without needing the world ranking points. 

w/o getting any points their ranking will be so low they could not play .

as far as the  the owgr " rules " they could be changed  , they have changed them before , but they have the football .

the best thing liv can do is to lean on the players to drop all lawsuits  from the liv side , no broadcaster will even look at them because of the lawsuits 

even augusta had rules and changed them .

Edited by shootmyage

17 hours ago, Thin2win said:

So LIV events shouldn't get as many points as a pga event, Seems fair. But they should get some.

I don't necessarily disagree. Based on the differences in format, I would think LIV could justifiably get 10-25% the level of points of an average PGA Tour event.

13 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

w/o getting any points their ranking will be so low they could not play .

There are automatic exemptions that these players have. They are either from previous major wins or recent wins on the pga tour to name a couple. Every tournament has various exemptions that allow golfers to play in them despite whatever their world ranking points are. 

Example with US Open. It comes with 10 year exemption to the US Open, a 5 year exemption on the PGA tour, along with the same 5 years to the other 3 majors. 

18 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

as far as the  the owgr " rules " they could be changed  , they have changed them before , but they have the football .

They were just changed last year and took effect pst month. They aren’t just going to change overnight because LIV is a thing and in my reading what changed was how points were awarded and not what is needed from a tour to qualify for being a sanctioned tour.

19 minutes ago, shootmyage said:

the best thing liv can do is to lean on the players to drop all lawsuits  from the liv side , no broadcaster will even look at them because of the lawsuits 

There are two lawsuits. One from the tour and one from the players of which players are starting to withdraw from it or considering like mickelson is. Even if the players dropped their lawsuit or changes nothing and by time the legal stuff plays out from the the LIVs lawsuit the ruling on their OWGR request could be answered.

Ill bow out of more responses to the misinformation in your posts to avoid upsetting the mods with possible future responses

3 minutes ago, LICC said:

I don't necessarily disagree. Based on the differences in format, I would think LIV could justifiably get 10-25% the level of points of an average PGA Tour event.

The strength of field thing is somewhat gone and it’s based on strokes gained and several things around strokes gained.

But even so the requirements for sanctioning LIV are a blocker because the way LIV chooses to run the tournaments including no qualifying for an event 

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

But even so the requirements for sanctioning LIV are a blocker because the way LIV chooses to run the tournaments including no qualifying for an event 

This is a good point getting missed. Qualifying is a big factor in being eligible for OWGR points.

21 minutes ago, LICC said:

This is a good point getting missed. Qualifying is a big factor in being eligible for OWGR points.

Its been mentioned a couple of times, just ignored. 😉

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

1 minute ago, Undershooter said:

Its been mentioned a couple of times, just ignored. 😉

Yup, because people keep making emotions based statements even after admitting that LIV doesn’t meet any of the criteria.

Because of popular names they want the rules changes immediately for their self interests. Just like the players sending a letter to Mr Dawson looking for favor to over turn their bad choices

18 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

i think the OWGR is due for a review anyway. the board is rife with conflicts of interest and how does the BMW PGA winner receive less points than the winner of the fortinet?

im not saying LIV deserves points yet. just that there are a LOT of things in professional golf that probably need a second look. 

The new OWGR criteria bring into account the depth of field much more than they used to, so fields can't be as heavily weighted by a couple of top tier players showing up. The middle and bottom end of the field is much more important now than the prior iteration of OWGR. Limited field events also receive a lot less points now too.

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Those that don’t perform well have the Asian tour, similar to those who don’t do well on the pga tour end up on the kft.

I think this needs to be more clearly defined. The difference with LIV and PGA Tour is the contracts. Phil is going to play in every event. He's not getting sent down to play on the Asian Tour. 

(I know he has a lifetime membership to the PGA Tour but he's the only one (I think?). What if Cam goes cold for 2 years. Would they send him down?)

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Somebody check the strength of field for The French Open. Maybe even compare it to the Fortinet...

P Reed just missed the cut as a star LIV player who has been in a few Top 10s in LIV.

Just my opinion, cuts are more important than strength of field. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are automatic exemptions that these players have. They are either from previous major wins or recent wins on the pga tour to name a couple. Every tournament has various exemptions that allow golfers to play in them despite whatever their world ranking points are. 

Example with US Open. It comes with 10 year exemption to the US Open, a 5 year exemption on the PGA tour, along with the same 5 years to the other 3 majors. 

They were just changed last year and took effect pst month. They aren’t just going to change overnight because LIV is a thing and in my reading what changed was how points were awarded and not what is needed from a tour to qualify for being a sanctioned tour.

There are two lawsuits. One from the tour and one from the players of which players are starting to withdraw from it or considering like mickelson is. Even if the players dropped their lawsuit or changes nothing and by time the legal stuff plays out from the the LIVs lawsuit the ruling on their OWGR request could be answered.

Ill bow out of more responses to the misinformation in your posts to avoid upsetting the mods with possible future responses

I mean I am in your camp. There are so many times we can point some in the direction of all the true information. In the end I think there are some on this thread that just enjoy the drama that LIV creates and enjoy bringing it to this thread (thank goodness it is only this one thread). I've said it before and I'll say it once again. This forum has a lot to offer and it is too bad that some quite literally only post in this thread. 

This whole thread is one big circle that keeps going around and around with many on one side vs many on the other side. It is very hard to just see it as golf because of all the law suits, drama and activity around LIV and how it has disrupted the professional golfing world. 

Thankfully there the proper people in places to make the appropriate decisions going forward. OWGR in the hands of the Majors and the other LIV stuff in the hands of the courts. 

One last reason I don't truly feel like LIV should get OWGR is again the investment in making sure they comply with the rules that are there. If they are granted them and then due to low viewers and just less uptake in the league what is stopping it to just fold and that money to be put elsewhere because it is in the better interest in the backers. I do believe lIV is here to stay for a while, however I also would not be surprised if one day the rug was pulled from all of them and they were left out to dry with nothing. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, shootmyage said:

as far as jm goes he had a lot of time to enact the payouts they now have and did nothing until the bottom fell out ..

The increased revenues are from new media rights deals that were just put in place in the past year.

38 minutes ago, TBS said:

I think this needs to be more clearly defined. The difference with LIV and PGA Tour is the contracts. Phil is going to play in every event. He's not getting sent down to play on the Asian Tour. 

(I know he has a lifetime membership to the PGA Tour but he's the only one (I think?). What if Cam goes cold for 2 years. Would they send him down?)

This gets back to the qualifying for events. LIV is going to choose to have the big names play in as many tournaments as possible. Of course those big names have the bigger contracts. So no they aren’t just going to send them down and while I haven’t looked I don’t think it’s performance based, it’s just that when there isn’t a spot on then event roster those not picked have the ability to play Asian tour events because of the partnership.

Correct Phil is the only LIV member with lifetime exemptions, DJ needed to finish this year off to get it.

35 minutes ago, TBS said:

Somebody check the strength of field for The French Open. Maybe even compare it to the Fortinet...

P Reed just missed the cut as a star LIV player who has been in a few Top 10s in LIV.

Just my opinion, cuts are more important than strength of field. 

Strength of field is not longer a criteria as of last month so no need to compare those.

Sorry can't help myself. Read an article (not going to bother finding it again) however P Reed is just a goof. Of course when he joined he was all about joining because it enabled him to spend more time with family and he was saying how much of a grind the tour had been, blah blah blah. Yet he has played 5 weeks in September. I know we all know those talking points are a load of it, but common this one really takes it for me. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Sorry can't help myself. Read an article (not going to bother finding it again) however P Reed is just a goof. Of course when he joined he was all about joining because it enabled him to spend more time with family and he was saying how much of a grind the tour had been, blah blah blah. Yet he has played 5 weeks in September. I know we all know those talking points are a load of it, but common this one really takes it for me. 

In fairness, I'd want to get away from Justine as much as possible too.

36 minutes ago, LICC said:

The increased revenues are from new media rights deals that were just put in place in the past year.

i doubt that the tour was that hard up for money , so i guess the big money to the players would not happen if not for the new $700 million a year for the media deal 

the old media deal was $400 million a year , that was for sure not enough money , chump change 

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I've watched alot of utube video on P Reed interviews and I'm wondering if what he's doing is part of his contract, 1, playing the DP tour and 2, $750 million law suit. That keeps Liv front and center and we all know any news is good news plus it's FREE, and what happens if Reed Wins imagine the PANIC...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

16 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

I've watched alot of utube video on P Reed interviews and I'm wondering if what he's doing is part of his contract, 1, playing the DP tour and 2, $750 million law suit. That keeps Liv front and center and we all know any news is good news plus it's FREE, and what happens if Reed Wins imagine the PANIC...

It may be part of his contract, but he is succeeding at getting on people's nerves along with LIV golf.

4 hours ago, cleve981 said:

It may be part of his contract, but he is succeeding at getting on people's nerves along with LIV golf.

It’s called “taking one for the team”

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

This whole LIV vs. the PGA is off the hook dumb. Play where you want and shut the F up about it. I can see both sides (arguments), but I just don't care. I'm tired of the whole thing already. I'll watch either "tour" if it's on my TV. I don't give two sh**s about the politics of it all. I don't really understand why anyone else does either, but, to each their own, I guess.

Edited by silver & black
spelling

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

This whole LIV vs. the PGA is off the hook dumb. Play where you want and shut the F up about it. I can see both sides (arguments), but I just don't care. I'm tired of the whole thing already. I'll watch either "tour" if it's on my TV. I don't give two sh**s about the politics of it all. I don't really understand why anyone else does either, but, to each their own, I guess.

You could practice what you preach...

14 hours ago, silver & black said:

+1. I hope we end up with two entirely separate tours, PGA and LIV. They can play a tournament once a year to check and see which players prevail, so we’ll know if LIV players are at all competitive with PGA players. Otherwise they shouldn’t play together at all during the year, Greg and all LIV players left voluntarily for the money - no path back. The majors have been built with PGA players, yes I know the PGA doesn’t run any of them but without PGA players where would they be today? If LIV wants to build a tradition of their own separate majors, might as well start now.

I can’t stand LIV, due to source of sportswashing funds and it helps there are only 2-3 players I was sad to see defect (DJ, Cam, Brooks/Ancer sorta) and 3 I despise left (Phil, Bryson and Sergio plus Norman). Watched 5 minutes of Portland out of curiosity, no interest beyond that. But I’ve said my why several times, no need to repeat any of it. I’ve also explained why I even bother to read this thread anymore - for pivotal decisions, the rest is pointless nonsense.

I realize some here are pulling for LIV, and that’s their prerogative. Almost no one ever changes their mind on a forum like this, BTDT, why argue? 

This will all be settled eventually, unfortunately it’s going to take a lot longer than I’d like. Flame away, I couldn’t care less…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

some people post on this thread *like* it’s their job. if I had to guess why they don’t post on other threads, i’d guess the reason to be they don’t actually care about golf, they care about the ratio of pro liv to anti liv posts on message boards like this one. 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

In what could very well be a response to their dwindling streaming numbers, they are switching up the format at the end of October in Miami. 

https://www.livgolf.com/news/liv-golf-announces-details-for-2022-team-championship-in-miami

Definitely sounds interesting

Driver: Titleist TSr 2 @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Taylormade GT Max

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

I really think this thread has run it's course. Maybe we could have a thread about LIV Golf, where we just talk about LIV Golf, rather than hearing the same people tell us over and over again they don't like it?

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18