TESTERS WANTED! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

59 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

There was a LIV event this weekend?

Right before reruns of Young Sheldon.  Seriously I did check in with the CW broadcast Sunday and ice again I don’t like like the goofy names and broadcast personalities banter.  I do see a few things I like but not a lot.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I just played a round with 3 guys who drove over to attend Friday and Saturday rounds.  One of them has a sister who lives in Marana and they crashed there.  All in all they liked it.  Definitely way fewer people than WM (which they also attended) but said it made access and viewing really good.  One of them has a grandson that knows Matthew Wolff from college and he met up with them at the course and followed him around both days.  I asked about the music and they said it was definitely different but nothing annoying.  I asked if they thought the caliber of play was good and the resounding answer was yes.  I also asked if they would attend another and they replied yes.  I had thought about going but had a conflict this week.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Had some friends go to the event and they loved it. They've done lots of PGA events and liked the high end feel of LIV. For me, I didn't know the event was going on. Seems that they need to actually advertise when the events are going on. I'm not one to follow social media for that sort of thing. I miss the live YouTube to be honest. I could just turn it on and watch, and it had a reminder on it.

I recorded the event, along with the PGA event. I will say, in spite of what some are saying, the PGA event was pretty boring, and the LIV was better as I got to see some players I enjoy watching. 

I think this whole thing is going to hit peak interest, do or die, at and after the Masters. If some LIV players finish high, I believe the following will grow. If the LIV players play bad, then the whole "there's no motivation or incentive", "those guys are washed up" is going to gain ground. Lots of pressure on the LIV players to play well. 

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No 1
Bridgestone B RXS

I wish that LIV, the PGA, and the LPGA would come up with a way to let you choose who you are watching. I have favorite players in all of the leagues and even if they aren’t battling for the lead, I would still like to watch them. 

I would think this would be easiest for LIV because of the limited field size. Make it happen!

In regards to these players getting rusty/soft, I’d say it’s entirely possible that it’s happening. It will be very interesting to see how they do at the Masters.

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

21 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

I wish that LIV, the PGA, and the LPGA would come up with a way to let you choose who you are watching. I have favorite players in all of the leagues and even if they aren’t battling for the lead, I would still like to watch them.

... Amen. That is hard to do on just one tour. Frustrating to see Patty Tavatanakit near the top 10 and completely ignored on the telecast. I would rather watch her take one swing than the 9 different putts from others they show. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

It is getting better and technology is available but probably cost prohibitive.    Watch ESPN+ weekly and the online Masters and there are specific broadcasts for individual holes and featured groups.   To show each player, you’d need about 40 separate broadcasts to cover each group on the course and the support structure for each group.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

It is getting better and technology is available but probably cost prohibitive.    Watch ESPN+ weekly and the online Masters and there are specific broadcasts for individual holes and featured groups.   To show each player, you’d need about 40 separate broadcasts to cover each group on the course and the support structure for each group.  

yeah, that’s why I was saying that LIV would be the most capable because the field size is so small.

• 2 weeks later...

So DJ isn't wearing any Adidas clothing or shoes anymore. Not sure what brand of shoes they are but I'm wondering if he's getting paid to wear those?

Speaking of DJ, he looks like he fully enjoyed their off season. Got a little belly going on right now.

3 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

So DJ isn't wearing any Adidas clothing or shoes anymore. Not sure what brand of shoes they are but I'm wondering if he's getting paid to wear those?

Speaking of DJ, he looks like he fully enjoyed their off season. Got a little belly going on right now.

He is wearing Footjoy and not under sponsorship. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This tour seems to be tracking down hill. The event did not present well today at all..

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Really looking forward to seeing how the LIV guys are treated this week at Augusta. The champions dinner already sounds like it's going to be a bit uncomfortable, will be interesting to see if anyone skips it. Also interested to see if the LIV guys get any TV coverage at all.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

7 hours ago, Headhammer said:

Really looking forward to seeing how the LIV guys are treated this week at Augusta. The champions dinner already sounds like it's going to be a bit uncomfortable, will be interesting to see if anyone skips it. Also interested to see if the LIV guys get any TV coverage at all.

I’m rooting for a Liv player winning 🏆 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

18 hours ago, shootmyage said:

i think the us open / pga championship have overall stronger fields

So its the Master's not the course that you think is overblown.  It's still a Major though.  I would agree that it is the weakest of the four in regards to strength of field but as I reflect getting into the field is more of a lifetime achievement rather than a monthly or annual one.  The thing that is confounding me about Player's comment is this crack at the course.  Other than Lee Trevino I've never read a complaint about the course and Trevino's complaint had to do with it favoring high ball hitters.  One could argue that the US Open set ups of his era favored his style of play.  I do like that the four majors have traditionally favored differing skill sets - a guy who wins the grand slam is truly a remarkable champion because he must win on a wide variety of course types.

I do agree that the Master's will be the best chance for a LiV player to pick off a Major because of the limited field.  It's just extremely difficult to assess their form coming into the event.  My gut is that Cam Smith is the only one to truly worry about although there are others who are capable - we just don't know how they are playing at this time.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

29 minutes ago, LICC said:

Maybe, by a small margin, but that is only one aspect of what makes a tournament great.

Agreed - the Master's has a brilliant formula - a part of it is limiting the field - if you have 85 or so in your field a number of whom have no chance to win you are guaranteed to have a leader board full of big names that also happen to be the top players in the game,  Throw in an exciting course at the time of the year when many people are itching to get out to play and you have a great tournament.  The only reason that I rarely watch the Masters is that my season is coming to a close and I don't want to miss out on one of the last nice golfing days - I'd rather play than watch.  When the final round falls on Easter, like it does this year, I'm way too tired to play so I watch.  Looking forward to it.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

the Master's has a brilliant formula - a part of it is limiting the field - if you have 85 or so in your field a number of whom have no chance to win you are guaranteed to have a leader board full of big names that also happen to be the top players in the game,  Throw in an exciting course at the time of the year when many people are itching to get out to play and you have a great tournament. 

... Most of us know the back 9 at Augusta like we have played it our entire lives. For me this is what separates the Masters from all the others. Granted the Open Championship rotation is small enough that we have some familiarity with most of their courses and playing Major golf on an original design where good and bad breaks are plentiful and playing the ball on the ground more than in the air is always fascinating.

... But it is rare for any other venue to have the excitement of #12, #13 and especially #15 on Sunday. There are so few holes that can produce an eagle/birdie and a double or worse for the top players. Seeing the best players in the world hit it in the water on the very short par 3 12th or go long in the Azalea bushes is riveting. I played a replica of that hole in Dallas and it was a very easy hole playing with friends for fun and showed me just what that much pressure and the swirling winds can do a number on a Pro in a Major. Watching the leaders decide whether to lay up on #15 leaving a very difficult wedge shot or risking coming up short and depending on pin positions almost equally as disastrous going long with their 2nd shot is just as good as it gets for me. Open Championship is my favorite followed closely by The Masters then the US Open and the PGA Championship a distant 4th.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Most of us know the back 9 at Augusta like we have played it our entire lives. For me this is what separates the Masters from all the others. Granted the Open Championship rotation is small enough that we have some familiarity with most of their courses and playing Major golf on an original design where good and bad breaks are plentiful and playing the ball on the ground more than in the air is always fascinating.

... But it is rare for any other venue to have the excitement of #12, #13 and especially #15 on Sunday. There are so few holes that can produce an eagle/birdie and a double or worse for the top players. Seeing the best players in the world hit it in the water on the very short par 3 12th or go long in the Azalea bushes is riveting. I played a replica of that hole in Dallas and it was a very easy hole playing with friends for fun and showed me just what that much pressure and the swirling winds can do a number on a Pro in a Major. Watching the leaders decide whether to lay up on #15 leaving a very difficult wedge shot or risking coming up short and depending on pin positions almost equally as disastrous going long with their 2nd shot is just as good as it gets for me. Open Championship is my favorite followed closely by The Masters then the US Open and the PGA Championship a distant 4th.  

Agreed - 

In some ways the course makes this tournament - it's beautiful, it's treacherous, anything can happen - I'm thankful they were able to add the additional property to increase the length of 13 and 15 so that the suspense is back in those holes - it doesn't really matter what club they are hitting into 12 because the green is so narrow that it's got to be exactly the right club for the conditions or else

Really all the holes on the back can make or break a round - 10 and 11 are brutally difficult - 12 has already been mentioned, 13-17 present all sorts of options - often a birdie on 17 seals the deal - and the drive on 18 is treacherous.  It's my favorite course to watch.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

21 hours ago, chisag said:

For me, its tough to choose between the Masters and the US Open as the best. The Masters has the majesty, and they just do everything right with the tournament to every detail. The US Open has had some screw-ups, but I love most of the courses and getting to see them every few years, on top of the great challenge. The Open is right up there as a close 3rd. The PGA is great but a distant 4th as it mostly feels like a glorified Tour event. It barely justifies being a major.

What number do we think will be higher?

• LIV golfers to finish in the top 20
  • LIV golfers that dont make the cut
Edited by Reed all about it

Does a FIR care WHICH fairway its in?

:PXG: Gen 5 - MCA Diamana S+ 60g - S

:PXG: 0211 3W MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 75 - S,

:PXG: 0211 22 Hybrid MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 - S

:PXG: 6i - Pw - V2 Elevate Tour S

:cleveland-small: CBX2 54, 58

:PXG: Gunboat

18 LIV golfers in the field. I think at least 10 bow out after friday. Only 1 or 2 finish top 15. None of which in the top 10. 

I'd argue that more make the cut than not, maybe 11 to 7, but think only 3-4 will finish in the top 15. 

So let's say 7 won't make it, 4 in top 15

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

34 minutes ago, Invader Zim 315 said:

I'd argue that more make the cut than not, maybe 11 to 7, but think only 3-4 will finish in the top 15. 

So let's say 7 won't make it, 4 in top 15

Koepka, Cam Smith, Neimann, DJ would be my best bets to be those 4. I just have no idea how any of them are playing anymore. Even if you look up stats, its hard to figure how the team style translates back to the grind that is a major. 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, Swing Pastor said:

I miss the live YouTube to be honest. I could just turn it on and watch, and it had a reminder on it.

That makes two of us.  I thought the YT feed was actually pretty cool and overall coverage good.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Golf Digest:

However, according to The Times, the DP World Tour's authority to fine and suspend its players for competing on the LIV Golf circuit without permission will be upheld, with the official ruling coming later this week.

An official decision would be a major loss to LIV Golf on a number of fronts. Because suspensions can be handed down for every event LIV Golf event that a DP World Tour member plays in without permission, those with ties to the tour—like Poulter, Westwood and Reed—will likely resign in order to avoid further monetary penalties. Moreover, LIV members can be prohibited from competing in DP World Tour events, which can be problematic should LIV not ultimately be rewarded Official World Golf Ranking accreditation. LIV golfers had been able to earn OWGR points while playing in DP World Tour events as the case was still being decided.

The ruling also likely ends the chances of LIV Golf players competing in the Ryder Cup. 

I've stopped watching the players interviews at the masters because the media are asking questions that they think will get a derogatory answer, there trying to Start a slanging match between the PGA and LIV which is deplorable. For example Bubba was asked what he thought about rumors of bad comments about LIV players, he said "your asking me to comment on rumors how can I do that" media trying to Start issues without any facts typical behavior...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…