Jump to content

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News


Thin2win

Recommended Posts

As a mod team while we go through some of this we will temporarily suspend/lock this thread.

We are on the border here and while it is so easy to link politics and golf on this particular topic we need to try and keep it to golf and Golf only. 

We will reopen it when we determine the best path forward on this specific topic.

  • Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

 ⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As this is such a prominent topic in golf and we want to encourage the conversation about LIV golf from a golfing standpoint we will reopen this thread. 

That said, we all know the backside of this story and as much as it has a place to be discussed it falls too close to the political side which we do not allow in the forum. So we ask that the conversation moving forward focuses on the golf, field, courses and other news related to LIV and avoids the back stories which we all know and are aware of. 

I trust that us as a community can stay to this and we can have solid conversations, debates and discussions moving forward around LIV and the news that follows it. 

We all have our opinions on the "other stuff" just as I have some pretty strong feelings on it, however they are not meant for this forum and really only lead down a path where we have to lock up this thread again. 

This is not a warning to all, but a request from the mod team that we keep the discussion about the golf which will start next week with LIV. Lets just avoid the mess that we know will lead to warnings and other nonsense that will get heated or lead to us having to intervene and enjoy the LIVely debate we can have on this thread. 

  • Like 8
  • Love 1

 ⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As this is such a prominent topic in golf and we want to encourage the conversation about LIV golf from a golfing standpoint we will reopen this thread. 

That said, we all know the backside of this story and as much as it has a place to be discussed it falls too close to the political side which we do not allow in the forum. So we ask that the conversation moving forward focuses on the golf, field, courses and other news related to LIV and avoids the back stories which we all know and are aware of. 

I trust that us as a community can stay to this and we can have solid conversations, debates and discussions moving forward around LIV and the news that follows it. 

We all have our opinions on the "other stuff" just as I have some pretty strong feelings on it, however they are not meant for this forum and really only lead down a path where we have to lock up this thread again. 

This is not a warning to all, but a request from the mod team that we keep the discussion about the golf which will start next week with LIV. Lets just avoid the mess that we know will lead to warnings and other nonsense that will get heated or lead to us having to intervene and enjoy the LIVely debate we can have on this thread. 

Thanks and I apologize for losing the Plot, as you say we all feel for those suffering at the hands of those inflicting pain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if I am rehashing something. The PGA Tour obviously sees this as a threat. They obviously know more than I, but I’m not sure how much of a threat it is as currently constructed. I’m not sure most golf fans are interested in watching 54 hole tournaments that seem more exhibitions than contests. I know I’m not. 

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if I am rehashing something. The PGA Tour obviously sees this as a threat. They obviously know more than I, but I’m not sure how much of a threat it is as currently constructed. I’m not sure most golf fans are interested in watching 54 hole tournaments that seem more exhibitions than contests. I know I’m not. 

I agree with not watching PGA golf with the expense involved not value for money in my view, LPGA golf I'm happy to pay for but here there's way too many commercials so I've dropped Sports and watch the LPGA on utube. Yeah it's not the game playing at this moment but it's golf and most interviews are live, I'm saving $100 per month watching free to air television only. Works for me lol...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies if I am rehashing something. The PGA Tour obviously sees this as a threat. They obviously know more than I, but I’m not sure how much of a threat it is as currently constructed. I’m not sure most golf fans are interested in watching 54 hole tournaments that seem more exhibitions than contests. I know I’m not. 

The main initial threat is LIV poaching away the PGA Tour's top and thus most marketable players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LICC said:

The main initial threat is LIV poaching away the PGA Tour's top and thus most marketable players.

As to initial, so far they haven't been able to attract any of the really top PGA players, DJ and Phil are not at the top and about 75% are near nobodys. However, with the money involved I've read some more big name PGA stars are waiting to see how the first batch of players make out, and to see what if anything the PGA actually does to players who sign on for LIV, or how the courts rule on samecwhich will take a while. Makes sense to me, no need to be first in the frying pan...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LICC said:

Norman has to be the worst salesman who ever lived, but that does not surprise me - he’s been bitter about several issues since his golf career ended years ago. He keeps giving us one reason after another to not like LIV with all his whining - it’s nothing but a huge unprincipled money grab that he’s glad to “promote.”

  • Like 3
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, LICC said:

Yep I just got that about an hour ago on one of my FB feeds

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just saw that Phil is going to LIV as is Rickie Fowler. The way Rickie has been playing, I can’t say that I’m surprised. He seems lost. Correction: Rickie has not committed to LIV but was in talks and hasn’t ruled it out.

33 minutes ago, Middler said:

Norman has to be the worst salesman who ever lived, but that does not surprise me - he’s been bitter about several issues since his golf career ended years ago. He keeps giving us one reasons after another to not like LIV with all his whining - it’s nothing but a huge unprincipled money grab that he’s glad to “promote.”

Greg accusing Rory of being brainwashed is funny coming from a guy who has been blinded by money. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by MattWillGolf
Made a correction after learning more.
  • Haha 2

Ping CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

PXG 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide 

Ping G410 Crossover 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

PXG 0211 5 - GW w/True Temper Elevate 95

Callaway MD3 54°/12° S Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold

Callaway MD3 58°/09° W Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold

Evnroll ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Review

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Review

Kirkland Signature v2.0

Clicgear 3.5+

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Greg accusing Rory of being brainwashed is funny coming from a guy who has been blinded by money. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Rory like a dozen others making pots of dosh don't need to worry about money as yet, but I'm betting that greed will change their minds once they see how much is on offer...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, LICC said:

LIV is trying to take players away from the PGA Tour. What is "offensive and disgusting" about protecting your business? What if the Saudi's decided to start a new football league and tried to convince Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Derrick Henry to go play in its league, and the NFL said (as it would) that they couldn't or else they would be suspended? Would that be offensive and disgusting?

I think the main difference is the players on tour don't play in every single tournament. It's very common for them to play a stretch and then take a month off. The LIV tour isn't competing every single weekend against the PGA. Some weekends, yes. In your example, a QB would have to leave the league completely because their team would need them as long as they were healthy.

  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 9º (Mitsubishi Diamana PD Stiff)

3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth 15º (Fujikura Ventus Red 5 Stiff)

Hybrids: Taylormade Stealth 19°, 22º, & 25º (Fujikura Ventus Red 7 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 6-Attack (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52º (True Temper Tour Issue S200), Vokey SM8 56S (True Temper AMT Black Stiff) 

Putter: Odyssey 11 Center Shaft

Ball: Taylormade Tour Response, Titleist AVX, Titleist ProV1

Fitted for Driver, 3w, and Irons.

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

I think the main difference is the players on tour don't play in every single tournament. It's very common for them to play a stretch and then take a month off. The LIV tour isn't competing every single weekend against the PGA. Some weekends, yes. In your example, a QB would have to leave the league completely because their team would need them as long as they were healthy.

None of that matters. If the top players jump to another tour, it is damaging. The NFL or MLB or any pro league would never agree to its players going to another rival league in the offseason. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately this still shows that if the tour was a polished product and viewership each week was as good as it could be, another competing league wouldn’t be coming for their space and money. The tour should refine and adjust to get more viewership consistently each week and take into consideration a few things to appease the players. Front loading the fed ex points this year forced a lot of the older players who take that time off to play a more jam packed schedule later in the year to catch up, can’t see the players loving that. Also viewership is hit or miss depending on the tournament, sponsors are still paying but can’t be thrilled with the lack of eye balls. Cord cutting is certainly a factor but other sports such as the NFL continue to push the threshold week in and week out

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Unfortunately this still shows that if the tour was a polished product and viewership each week was as good as it could be, another competing league wouldn’t be coming for their space and money. The tour should refine and adjust to get more viewership consistently each week and take into consideration a few things to appease the players. Front loading the fed ex points this year forced a lot of the older players who take that time off to play a more jam packed schedule later in the year to catch up, can’t see the players loving that. Also viewership is hit or miss depending on the tournament, sponsors are still paying but can’t be thrilled with the lack of eye balls. Cord cutting is certainly a factor but other sports such as the NFL continue to push the threshold week in and week out

This isn't a typical challenger by any means. There just aren't many organizations willing to throw such big money into challenging the PGA. Their product has withstood, and continues to, any challenger on a level playing field?

  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see Dustin Johnson has resigned from the PGA now as well. Like others have said, they're probably doing it to avoid being formally banned, to keep their options open if they want to play some US events or the tour in the future. I'll bet many players will formally resign before the PGA acts - or maybe this was orchestrated in the background so the PGA wouldn't have to ban anyone?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/golf-johnson-resigns-from-pga-tour-to-play-in-liv-invitational-series/ar-AAYaN6G?ocid=uxbndlbing

  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Middler said:

I see Dustin Johnson has resigned from the PGA now as well. Like others have said, they're probably doing it to avoid being formally banned, to keep their options open if they want to play some US events or the tour in the future. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/golf-johnson-resigns-from-pga-tour-to-play-in-liv-invitational-series/ar-AAYaN6G?ocid=uxbndlbing

As others said before, if you can afford to resign from the tour its the best move. It allows for an easy re-entry if LIV fails. The issue will be the amateurs and other young talent. Let's say LIV sticks around for a few years  and OWGR does not give any points to LIV events, Gooch falls out of the rankings quickly. Andy Ogletree and Pinot are even further away from getting their card then they would be now, if they tried to go to the PGA tour. 

I never really cared about the older Euro guys; Phil was on his way out, although I would loved to see him come to Bham AL for the Regions Classic on the Senior tour. And DJ wants to cost into retirement.

Its the younger players who I'm starting to feel something about. Go listen to Andy Ogletree interview.

He's complaining that its hard to get on tour because he has to travel around to try to win minitour events and Monday Qs to get KFT status and LIV gets him comfy guaranteed starts. Say what you will about the product of the PGA tour but the best thing about it is that the only way to get on tour and stay on tour is by winning. 

  • Like 1

 :taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Phil apparently did not resign from the PGA: https://www.si.com/golf/news/exclusive-phil-mickelson-on-liv-golf-and-his-pga-tour-status

Waiting to see what the PGA does with him.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 939X 4H

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the alternative LIV Golf is ready to launch its first event. Are you watching? My understanding is it's only going to air on a streaming service YouTube or the LIV golf website.  
Thoughts?  

  • Like 1
  • Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...