Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

Like many I’m really excited for Anthony Kim’s return. A hype video was put out this morning and it the end it said “Hi Haters I’m Back”. For a guy that seemed to be universally liked did he really have haters? 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

11 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

Like many I’m really excited for Anthony Kim’s return. A hype video was put out this morning and it the end it said “Hi Haters I’m Back”. For a guy that seemed to be universally liked did he really have haters? 

I don’t think he was ever hated. And he’s not hated for going to LIV either. Chalk me up as one that isn’t really moved by his return to any tour after being gone so long. If he makes a splash than maybe there could be some added interest by a lot of people. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

4 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I don’t think he was ever hated. And he’s not hated for going to LIV either. Chalk me up as one that isn’t really moved by his return to any tour after being gone so long. If he makes a splash than maybe there could be some added interest by a lot of people. 

I get that and you’re definitely not alone in that camp. It’ll be interesting to see how he does after being away from competitive golf for so long. I think anything around even par would be a success. 

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I never really liked LIV.  I thought of it as a high-paying exhibition thing.  But the last straw for me was Rahm.  Watching the PGA now feels like watching the JV team.  It' just sad that the two cannot seem to play nicely.  Now guys who barely made cuts before are winning on the PGA.  If you want to see the best players in the world, they're on LIV.

I'll watch golf whether it's LGPA, College, PGA, or LIV.  It's nice that the CW is free, so I have been tuning in recently.

Edited by HighFade

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

1 minute ago, HighFade said:

I never really liked LIV.  I thought of it as a high-paying exhibition thing.  But the last straw for me was Rahm.  Watching the PGA now feels like watching the JV team.  It' just sad that the two cannot seem to play nicely.  Now, guys who barely made cuts before are winning on the PGA.  If I want to see the best players in the world, they're on LIV.

I'll watch golf whether it's LGPA, College, PGA, or LIV.  It's nice that the CW is free, so I have been tuning in recently.

What guys were previously barely making cuts that have now won (outside of Grayson Murray who's awful)? Not denying that the start of the season winners for the PGA tour have not been the massive stars so far, but Knapp is an awesome story, Kirk is a great winner and comeback story, Dunlap is the first Am since Phil to win then Hideki and Clark. I think the bigger issue is that the PGA tour has not capitalized on telling the story of these players. The PGA Tour has gotten so lost in the keeping up with the Jones' (LIV) they've lost the narrative unfortunately.

Pro golf's beauty is that outside of 2000s Tiger, there has always been amazing parity in the top ranks and that any given Sunday a player could win. Pro golf has the best core group of strong competitive young players that it's ever had.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

4 minutes ago, TCUfrog said:

What guys were previously barely making cuts that have now won?

I don't know each person's record, but this is not exactly a who's who of golf...

image.png.35a2d5c4a2683162c0022328e4fce697.png

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

4 minutes ago, HighFade said:

I don't know each person's record, but this is not exactly a who's who of golf...

image.png.35a2d5c4a2683162c0022328e4fce697.png

• Two Major Winners
  • 2 Rookies from KFT showing strength in the youth
  • First Am in 30 years to win
  • 2 multiple time tour winners
  • Grayson Murray

This is not that different from many starts to the PGA Tour season where less top players play the Sony Open, AMEX, Farmers and Mexican Open. Pebble Beach getting only 54 holes set the PGA tour back from an epic Sunday and will struggle until they get depth back for bigger events coming. 

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

AK sporting a man-bun-like-doo and currently searching for something that resembles a tour level golf swing.  The long layoff is certainly showing. Maybe the welcome back party ran late and Pat Perez was assigned to be his chaparone 😆.

I've read that his contract has performance clauses - any details of which I've not been able to find.  But it seems clear Norman's decision to award him a contract is quite speculative and largely based on a bet he'll draw interest... the overriding question "will his game return or will this be a train wreck?"

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

AK sporting a man-bun-like-doo and currently searching for something that resembles a tour level golf swing.  The long layoff is certainly showing. Maybe the welcome back party ran late and Pat Perez was assigned to be his chaparone 😆.

I've read that his contract has performance clauses - any details of which I've not been able to find.  But it seems clear Norman's decision to award him a contract is quite speculative and largely based on a bet he'll draw interest... the overriding question "will his game return or will this be a train wreck?"

I’m hoping he does well.  It was really nice just to see him out and about again playing .  I saw AK’s WITB, it was all Titleist.  

🙃

6 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

I’m hoping he does well.  It was really nice just to see him out and about again playing .  I saw AK’s WITB, it was all Titleist.  

I mean all things considered his 76 wasn’t terrible. It’s gonna take a while for him to find his groove. 

So what's the current over/under on Rory cashing in?  Does he eclipse Rahm's contract if he does?  Is he playing hard to get and trying to get Yasir and Norman to the billion threshold? I've been a bit behind on some golf news and scuttlebutt and completely missed this rumor.  Clearly the "I'd rather retire than join LIV" stance from earlier seems to have softened a bit based on this quote;

"I think at this point, I was maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realise that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."

To be honest, I lost some respect for Rory for the manner in which he trashed those who made the choice to join LIV.  I am glad to see this change of position.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

23 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So what's the current over/under on Rory cashing in?  Does he eclipse Rahm's contract if he does?  Is he playing hard to get and trying to get Yasir and Norman to the billion threshold? I've been a bit behind on some golf news and scuttlebutt and completely missed this rumor.  Clearly the "I'd rather retire than join LIV" stance from earlier seems to have softened a bit based on this quote;

"I think at this point, I was maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realise that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."

To be honest, I lost some respect for Rory for the manner in which he trashed those who made the choice to join LIV.  I am glad to see this change of position.  

Agreed completely

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

56 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

Agreed completely

On 3/1/2024 at 3:17 PM, fixyurdivot said:

If Rory goes to live I think he would get the biggest contract but what I really think it means is a merger is immediate. Maybe 4 seconds after he signs. Lol 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

Anthony Kim did not play well or look well.

Did something happen to his face or was my cable bad?

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

Off the record, I heard from the Club Pro Guy that Rory is entertaining an offer of a Bill$kie from Pop Stroke to start a Global Putting Tour.

The hold up is how to get him OWGR points. 

286657855_CrazyEmoji(1).thumb.jpg.acf4cedda7ae88b52e529a34504584bf.jpeg

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

5 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

I thought he arguably played pretty well. That was such a hard situation to come back from and he did alright. 

As for the face I would just say Father Time is undefeated.  

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

On 3/1/2024 at 6:17 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Based on Rory not being a part of the new PGA Tour Enterprises board, I feel like Rory is going to LIV.  Add Cantlay, Zalatoris and Fitz who were recently vocal about the worthlessness of the OWGR now and there is going to be an exodus.

WITB

• Driver - 9 Degree Callaway Rogue Max LS
  • 3 Wood - 14.5 Degree Taylor Made Sim 2
  • Hybrid - 19 Degree Callaway 
  • Irons - 4 - Gap Mizuno JPX 921 Forged
  • Wedges - 54 & 58 Titleist Vokey SM8
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport+

On 3/2/2024 at 5:27 PM, TylorJudd said:

Agreed completely

Rory laid his reputation on the line for well over a year to protect the PGA Tour and Jay - and then Jay went and stabbed him in the back.  It was at that point that Rory probably figured he wouldn't rule out getting the bag.

I'm actually a fan of LIV (the music during the round aside), but I think guys like Rory, Brooks, Rahm, etc. know that all they care about is majors.  

WITB

• Driver - 9 Degree Callaway Rogue Max LS
  • 3 Wood - 14.5 Degree Taylor Made Sim 2
  • Hybrid - 19 Degree Callaway 
  • Irons - 4 - Gap Mizuno JPX 921 Forged
  • Wedges - 54 & 58 Titleist Vokey SM8
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport+

The stories are pining that the Players field has been somewhat gutted by the LIV defectors. Sure there are 10-12 LIV guys that should be at the Players. Once you get past those 10-12, you fall into the guys that really are past their prime and probably shouldn't be there anyways. This is an opportunity for some lower ranked players to shine. It will not affect the record button being hit and me watching the show! I cannot say the same about any LIV product. Does this affect the way you watch the Players championship? 

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

On 3/6/2024 at 12:02 PM, ShimmyCocoBop said:

I say something similar in the morning....did something happen to my face or does the mirror need cleaning....nope just me getting old.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

9 minutes ago, Mike10487 said:

The stories are pining that the Players field has been somewhat gutted by the LIV defectors. Sure there are 10-12 LIV guys that should be at the Players. Once you get past those 10-12, you fall into the guys that really are past their prime and probably shouldn't be there anyways. This is an opportunity for some lower ranked players to shine. It will not affect the record button being hit and me watching the show! I cannot say the same about any LIV product. Does this affect the way you watch the Players championship? 

I think i will probably turn it on late sunday to see the finish if i am stuck inside.  Missing those 10 - 12 in the field definitely takes the air out of the claim of it being the 5th major.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I say something similar in the morning....did something happen to my face or does the mirror need cleaning....nope just me getting old.

that reminds me of a quote from my dear mother after she had cataract surgery, "well, that is the most expensive surgery i ever had, now i have to get a facelift" 

committed to performance excellence

2 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

Does it affect the way I watch the players? I will have to see, I am enjoying "Live from" but I find myself being a bit more critical of quotes like "the best players in the world are here, and "the deepest field in golf" as I know that is not true, which is what Paul McGinley said to Brandell Chamblee and had Brandell spinning a bit. 

committed to performance excellence

3 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

I’ll definitely be watching as much as I can. Helps that I have the week off but just because a handful of greats chose to quit the Tour doesn’t take anything away from this event for me. So much young talent has taken their place it’s like the game hasn’t missed a beat. It would be a better show if Brooks and Rahm and a couple others were here but Aberg, Dunlap and Hoojgard have filled in nicely. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Rory has one goal in mind, winning the Masters. If he wins, watch the numbers being offered to him by LIV which he will be surely tempted to take and probably will, since he will have his grand slam of majors.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

3 hours ago, jolter1 said:

Rory has one goal in mind, winning the Masters. If he wins, watch the numbers being offered to him by LIV which he will be surely tempted to take and probably will, since he will have his grand slam of majors.

... Some people aren't seduced by money, especially those already set for life and their kids/grandkids are set for life. The Grand Slam would be a jewel for Rory no doubt but that would make 5 Major wins and 7 would pass Michelson and put him in a tie for 6th all time. LIV is just money from a controversial source and I doubt even a Billion would tempt Rory. 

McIlroy currently sits second behind Woods in the PGA Tour's career money list with earnings of over $80m. However, this doesn't factor in his three FedEx Cup victories, which total $43m, meaning the number now jumps over the $120m mark.

On the other side of the pond, and with the DP World Tour, McIlroy sits top of its money list, with over €50m, although there is some overlap with the PGA Tour due to Majors and WGCs. That figure doesn't include his five Race to Dubai victories either, which would have netted him around $12m.

His TaylorMade deal, which he signed in 2017, is said to be worth $10m per year for 10 years. Playing 14 TaylorMade clubs, golf ball and TaylorMade bag, McIlroy also has a Nike contract which was extended in 2017 for 10 years. This is said to be worth $10m per year, having been worth $20m per year from 2013-2016 when he was using Nike clubs, ball and bag. In total, he is estimated to earn around $35m a year from his sponsorships alone.

In 2023, Forbes released the highest paid golfers list and, although LIV golfers dominated, McIlroy placed third with $80m - $40m on-course and an equal amount off-course. The same year, the Sunday Times Rich List estimated his net worth at a staggering £200m ($255m) and it's only likely to increase from there.

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Is it just me or does the LIV guys playing in majors add a little something extra?  Feels like it is LIV vs PGA during majors and I love it.

Driver - Cobra Radspeed

3w - Radspeed

4iron-Gap - Cobra One Length Forged Tec

52° One Length snake bite

58° Avalon

Putter - Odyssey Versa Double Wide