Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win

18 minutes ago, berkeleybob said:

“Relentless action.”

– LIV golf announcer

Not sure that’s how I’d describe what I’m watching. Personally, I like it when I just watch one group of players play a round of golf.

That was one thing I kind of noticed as well. There is a lot of bouncing around to the point where it’s kind of hard to follow. I’m usually the guy who likes to watch the featured group coverage so you can watch each shot and the parts in between. Hear what the guys are saying, looking through the shot, and then executing.

2 comments on the actual footage and round:

Why can I not find an online leaderboard?

They didn’t really explain the scoring/team aspect of that. How is it handled? When they started off, I honestly thought that each player was going to play a hole and they just alternate through. That isn’t how it’s done but I was so confused.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 9º (Mitsubishi Diamana PD Stiff)

3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth 15º (Fujikura Ventus Red 5 Stiff)

Hybrids: Taylormade Stealth 19°, 22º, & 25º (Fujikura Ventus Red 7 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 6-Attack (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52º (True Temper Tour Issue S200), Vokey SM8 56S (True Temper AMT Black Stiff) 

Putter: Odyssey 11 Center Shaft

Ball: Taylormade Tour Response, Titleist AVX, Titleist ProV1

Fitted for Driver, 3w, and Irons.

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I get that pros are independent contractors, however there's no other pro sports league that would allow players to hop back and forth that I'm aware of. Maybe soccer does that?? No idea. But if you're in the NFL and that league has backed you, you can't just randomly hop back and forth from there to the CFL. Likewise with the NHL and the KHL. 

Again - I fully understand that we're talking individuals vs players in another sport that are contracted to their specific franchise. So it's not a true apples to apples comparison. But do see the PGA Tour's POV in all of this. 

I am not sure that it is specific to the league but more to the players unions and specific player contracts.  As @chisaghas stated he is loyal to his union because of the benefits the union offers and provides.  Players not going to other leagues may be more tied to their specific contract and injury clauses. WNBA players go play foreign leagues,  lower tier NBA player go play other leagues, auto racers go across classifications .  The example I have was many years ago the pre was a CFL player that wanted to play hockey and joined the local ECHL hockey team.  He played a few games and left due to the fact that his contract had injury clauses and his mortgage was tied to his contract.  If the PGA tour didn’t want players to be enticed by other current and future tours, they should never have granted exemptions in the past to allow players to play other events thAt were not part of the membership agreement.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

27 minutes ago, ZJBogey2 said:

Agreed, I can see both sides here. The difference from other sports may be 1. multi-year contracts where I dont believe MLB/NFL etc are independent contractors and 2. precedent from the tour letting players play across the globe in other tourneys. 

What really bothers me is restricting Korn Ferry membership. These guys arent paid great and need every opportunity they can get to move up the earnings ladder and play higher quality tournaments. 

I still think there is an ecosystem where these two can exist in harmony, similar to WGC events. 

It makes sense because the KF tour is the main route to the pga tour. 3 wins is an automatic promotion to the tour. Why let anyone who broke their agreement have a chance at taking someone’s spot on the KF tour. It’s all one on the same basically. 

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am not sure that it is specific to the league but more to the players unions and specific player contracts.  As @chisaghas stated he is loyal to his union because of the benefits the union offers and provides.  Players not going to other leagues may be more tied to their specific contract and injury clauses. WNBA players go play foreign leagues,  lower tier NBA player go play other leagues, auto racers go across classifications .  The example I have was many years ago the pre was a CFL player that wanted to play hockey and joined the local ECHL hockey team.  He played a few games and left due to the fact that his contract had injury clauses and his mortgage was tied to his contract.  If the PGA tour didn’t want players to be enticed by other current and future tours, they should never have granted exemptions in the past to allow players to play other events thAt were not part of the membership agreement.  

MLB players including some higher profile players play winter ball in the Caribbean during their offseason. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This is on a much smaller scale but people who race dirt bikes for a living are free to race any series or location they want. Does not matter if there is a conflicting event. 

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52º (True Temper Tour Issue S200), Vokey SM8 56S (True Temper AMT Black Stiff) 

1 hour ago, ZJBogey2 said:

I still think there is an ecosystem where these two can exist in harmony, similar to WGC events.

LIV and the PGA Tour? Not a chance. They are polar opposite rivals.

1 hour ago, PeterHenric said:

That was one thing I kind of noticed as well. There is a lot of bouncing around to the point where it’s kind of hard to follow. I’m usually the guy who likes to watch the featured group coverage so you can watch each shot and the parts in between. Hear what the guys are saying, looking through the shot, and then executing.

2 comments on the actual footage and round:

Why can I not find an online leaderboard?

They didn’t really explain the scoring/team aspect of that. How is it handled? When they started off, I honestly thought that each player was going to play a hole and they just alternate through. That isn’t how it’s done but I was so confused.

I can see LIV getting a decent number of viewers for the first one or two event then it dropping like a rock after the curiosity factor is gone.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the team format is, and how scoring works? 18 pages worth of posts and I'm still unsure of the mechanics of the event lol.

• Like 2

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

8 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Does anyone know what the team format is, and how scoring works? 18 pages worth of posts and I'm still unsure of the mechanics of the event lol.

The is an individual component and a team component.   Individual is easy.  Team scores are based on the two plaYers scores on Thursday and Friday and top thr on Saturday.  It is shotgun start so essentially every player has played the same number of holes.  

• Like 5

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Phil looks like a homeless person. The longer hair, the scruff, not a good look.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterHenric said:

https://www.livgolf.com/format

• Like 3

I've enjoyed the coverage so far. The sidebar does a decent job of giving context (hole, shot number, holes to play) and the commentators give enough extra info that you can get the context for each shot.

The smaller field makes it easier to follow as well - watch for an hour and you pretty much get an idea of how everyone is playing.

• Like 4

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - PXG 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV