Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win

11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Brooks is the poster child for LiV

only cares about money. Not even sure he actually likes playing golf

I can’t stand that dude. So aggravating, and such an egomaniac. He reminds me of the CC kids back in the 70s that showed-up to public tournaments in Ann Arbor and acted like we all owed them something because they were playing in the tournament. I will not miss Koepka in the least!

• Like 5

Driver: Honma TR 460 8.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 S, 45 1/4"; Ping G425 LST, Fujikura Speeder TR 661 S, 45 1/2"

hybrids: Cobra King Tec 17* and 21*, both with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105 X

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4-6, ZX7 7-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil F4, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Good news for Brooks - he should be used to having to wear ridiculous outfits and hats being with Nike, so when LIV begins making players wear LIV uniforms he won't feel out of place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

5 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I can’t stand that dude. So aggravating, and such an egomaniac. He reminds me of the CC kids back in the 70s that showed-up to public tournaments in Ann Arbor and acted like we all owed them something because they were playing in the tournament. I will not miss Koepka in the least!

Amen to that!

On the other hand, I liked Ancer and certainly hope Morikawa doesn't jump ship...

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

It is going to be interesting to see what this ends-up looking like for sure. The pull of money, no cuts, “men’s league” atmosphere is intriguing and I get it. It will be interesting to see what happens when the young bucks aren’t in the 48 man fields and can’t earn even $1 that week! At some point that will happen. Just goes to show that those who have millions, fly private and have no worries about income can STILL be enticed to have more. 
Outside of more money in the weekly purses, what’s the Tour’s answer???

Just now, Kanoito said:

Amen to that!

On the other hand, I liked Ancer and certainly hope Morikawa doesn't jump ship...

Same.

• Like 2

Driver: Honma TR 460 8.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 S, 45 1/4"; Ping G425 LST, Fujikura Speeder TR 661 S, 45 1/2"

hybrids: Cobra King Tec 17* and 21*, both with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105 X

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4-6, ZX7 7-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil F4, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

59 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

From the sounds of it they will have a slow bleed of announcements to keep them relevant in news cycles longer.

Sucks to see Brooks leave at least for me personally.

Yeah I'm not happy to see Brooks leave... but I think I'm still holding onto the pre-covid years Brooks when he was really competitive.

I feel like the trend of higher profile golfers (Michelson, DJ, and now Brooks) that are going over to LIV are guys that have lost passion for the game and don't care about the prestige anymore.  I think that's why guys like Tiger and JT won't go... You can tell that JT cares about the prestige with the way he plays.  He wants those majors, and you can almost never count him out.  

someone can bookmark this and throw it back in my face if JT ever jumps ship... I just don't see a guy like him moving over.

Feels like the LIV tour is going to end up looking like a bunch of dudes out for their Sunday scramble having fun because the stakes and prestige isn't really there, and they all get paid anyway.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120X | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | :ping-small: Traverse | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The tour needs to address some of the problems the players have with the current structure. They took the right stance with banning players but they still are losing players each week. Unfortunately it seems that they won’t make any adjustments until they fall below the required strength of field and sponsors start asking for money back. It’s a shame that it’s come to this with players leaving for a exhibition league, should they get certified for OWGR points their is no telling what would happen. The rumor of morikawa and shauffele leaving isn’t good news. It’s proven that where theirs smoke theirs fire at this point with LIV defectors

• Like 4

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

17 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Yeah I'm not happy to see Brooks leave... but I think I'm still holding onto the pre-covid years Brooks when he was really competitive.

This is an interesting take. Did the break from professional golf due to COVID give players the opportunity to reevaluate their careers?

Brooks clearly came out of COVID with a return to the office attitude. Doing this as a job.

JT came back missing the opportunity to compete.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I feel like the trend of higher profile golfers (Michelson, DJ, and now Brooks) that are going over to LIV are guys that have lost passion for the game and don't care about the prestige anymore.  I think that's why guys like Tiger and JT won't go... You can tell that JT cares about the prestige with the way he plays.  He wants those majors, and you can almost never count him out.  

someone can bookmark this and throw it back in my face if JT ever jumps ship... I just don't see a guy like him moving over.

Feels like the LIV tour is going to end up looking like a bunch of dudes out for their Sunday scramble having fun because the stakes and prestige isn't really there, and they all get paid anyway.

Is there prestige in winning the Travelers this week? Or the JD, or Rocket Mortgage? I dont think the field at JD this year is going to be much more enticing, if at all, then the LIV event. 

I saw an interesting stat this morning that 9 of the last 21 major winners have gone to LIV, that's 40%. That's not a small number. 

I also think it's interesting seeing a lot of people bash the no cut approach yet the WGC's have typically been no cut events, haven't they? 

Breed said on the radio this morning that there is a players only meeting today and another meeting amongst players/administration?. I think Monahan is starting to feel the pressure and a calculated response is coming tomorrow. 

Edited by ZJBogey2
  • Like 6

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver 

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood or  :ping-small: G410 7 Wood

:taylormade-small: 3 Hybrid or :ping-small: G Crossover 3i
:ping-small:  G410 5i-GW (White Dot, Stiff)  
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser 
:918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Range Finder 

2 minutes ago, ZJBogey2 said:

Is their prestige in winning the Travelers this week? Or the JD, or Rocket Mortgage? I dont think the field at JD this year is going to be much more enticing, if at all, then the LIV event. 

I saw an interesting stat this morning that 9 of the last 21 major winners have gone to LIV, that's 40%. That's not a small number. 

I also think it's interesting seeing a lot of people bash the no cut approach yet the WGC's have typically been no cut events, haven't they? 

Breed said on the radio this morning that there is a players only meeting today and another meeting amongst players/administration?. I think Monahan is starting to feel the pressure and a calculated response is coming tomorrow. 

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what the PGA says at the next conference but have they reached a point of no return? I feel like their ego is to big for them to do the right thing without them feeling like they are folding. 

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

I’m a little surprised to see B Koepka jump ship, but I can rationalize that too, aside from money alone. He’s been injury plagued for years now, and it’s in his best interest to cash in while he can - it looks like he’s going to have a shorter career than most for physical reasons. Sorry to see Ancer go too, but he’s not quite a marquee player. All that said, it keeps getting harder and harder to call the Obnoxious Greed League all has been a and also rans. IF they get some true marquee PGA players (DJ is still closest) to sign, the PGA could really be in trouble, so far they’re treading water…

Kinda sad so many people will take dirty money without hesitation, not just golf. Morals are passé nowadays.

• Love 1
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

17 minutes ago, ZJBogey2 said:

Is there prestige in winning the Travelers this week? Or the JD, or Rocket Mortgage? I dont think the field at JD this year is going to be much more enticing, if at all, then the LIV event. 

Prestige? no probably not... but as a "regular" PGA tour event there is still points on the line for the FedEx cup and playoffs.  I can't say I've really read into the LIV event setup, but is there anything at stake beyond the current event?  

Agree it's not a small number, but only 3 or 4 of those guys could be considered close to their prime.

Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia, Louis Oosthuizen, Martin Kaymer, Charl Schwartzel and Graeme McDowell are all past their prime playing years.  I mean Phil was in Champions tour events now.  He had an amazing week at Kiawah, but clearly has taken a step back from the elite talent.

Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Patrick Reed, and now Brooks are all still competitive players, and any week one of those guys could be atop a PGA tour leaderboard.

I don't think a cut/no-cut event really has much of an impact on the outcome outside of maybe how many players you let into the event, so I've got no issues with that.

It will be interesting to see how the PGA handles it as the pressure builds.... probably not well based on the history of organized professional sports screwing things up over the years.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120X | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | :ping-small: Traverse | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

40 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

The tour needs to address some of the problems the players have with the current structure. They took the right stance with banning players but they still are losing players each week. Unfortunately it seems that they won’t make any adjustments until they fall below the required strength of field and sponsors start asking for money back. It’s a shame that it’s come to this with players leaving for a exhibition league, should they get certified for OWGR points their is no telling what would happen. The rumor of morikawa and shauffele leaving isn’t good news. It’s proven that where theirs smoke theirs fire at this point with LIV defectors

I don't see the OWGR giving points to LIV events at a meaningful level. They can't equate these no-cut, small field, 54 hole, shotgun events to the 72-hole, large field events on other tours.

The Tour should institute an actual off-season where events don't apply FedEx Cup points and the top players can play in limited field events if they choose. Maybe the 8-10 weeks between the Tour Championship and the RSM Classic. Otherwise, there aren't any ground-breaking changes the Tour could or should make that I can see.

33 minutes ago, ZJBogey2 said:

So far the defectors have been the past-their-prime players and those that have been problem-child types or unlikeable sorts. If Morikawa and Schauffele go to LIV that would substantially change the dynamic.

Not every tournament every week can be highly prestigious. Other than the majors, there is a hierarchy. Some are high due to the course (I love watching the events at Pebble, Riviera, and certain others), the history and host involvement (Memorial, Bay Hill), the championship relevance (Players, Fed Ex playoffs), or a combination.

Rex Hoggard reporting developments from the player/commissioner meeting this morning. 

• 3-event team series in Fall (Europe, Asia, Middle East), with top 50 from FedEx led by captains chosen from PIP.
  • Other players from Playoffs go into Fall Series for card.
  • No more reach-around...sorry, wraparound schedule beginning in 2023.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, LICC said:

So far the defectors have been the past-their-prime players and those that have been problem-child types or unlikeable sorts. If Morikawa and Schauffele go to LIV that would substantially change the dynamic.

Not every tournament every week can be highly prestigious. Other than the majors, there is a hierarchy. Some are high due to the course (I love watching the events at Pebble, Riviera, and certain others), the history and host involvement (Memorial, Bay Hill), the championship relevance (Players, Fed Ex playoffs), or a combination.

I think this past their prime narrative is just excuses. 1 major winner in '21 (Phil), 2 major winners out of 3 majors in '20 (DJ & Bryson), 2 in '19 (Brooks & Lowry), 3 in '18 (Reed & Brooks x2), 2 in '17 (Sergio & Brooks), and DJ in '16.  Then expand that to runner ups...it's quite a bit of "talent". The PGA Championship would have a LIV player or multiples in the top 2 '17-21.

If the rumors around Hovland, Morikowa, Schauffele happen...yikes PGA is in trouble! Hovland would bring even more Euro fans. Matsuyama leaving would be huge too from a worldwide impact. Ancer has a big following in Mexico. 

This is all just so fascinating to watch unfold.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Hmmm 1

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Rex Hoggard reporting developments from the player/commissioner meeting this morning. 

• 3-event team series in Fall (Europe, Asia, Middle East), with top 50 from FedEx led by captains chosen from PIP.
  • Other players from Playoffs go into Fall Series for card.
  • No more reach-around...sorry, wraparound schedule beginning in 2023.

Interesting! They'll have to provide more insight/update on PIP. The wraparound would hurt the younger/lower tier players though so that doesnt seem right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZJBogey2 said:

I think this past their prime narrative is just excuses. 1 major winner in '21 (Phil), 2 major winners out of 3 majors in '20 (DJ & Bryson), 2 in '19 (Brooks & Lowry), 3 in '18 (Reed & Brooks x2), 2 in '17 (Sergio & Brooks), and DJ in '16.  Then expand that to runner ups...it's quite a bit of "talent". The PGA Championship would have a LIV player or multiples in the top 2 '17-21.

If the rumors around Hovland, Morikowa, Schauffele happen...yikes PGA is in trouble! Hovland would bring even more Euro fans. Matsuyama leaving would be huge too from a worldwide impact. Ancer has a big following in Mexico. 

Morikawa has come out and said he is not at all going. So LIV is 1-1 on the day. 

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

23 minutes ago, ZJBogey2 said:

I was categorizing them as either/or. Either past their prime, or the troublesome or unlikeable types.

Phil is past is prime and past any consistent high level playing. He caught lightning in a bottle at the PGA last year. 

DJ, Sergio, Brooks and Reed are in the unlikeable, problem-child category.

Shane Lowry is going to LIV? I didn't see that. As of a few days he ago he was pretty adamant that he was not. 

• Like 2