GolfSpy Dave

Cleveland HB3 Irons

Just got an email from GG with this image.

hb3.jpg

Single image, but these look much better to me. Sand wedge still looks crazy I bet.

I'll hit them out of curiosity...

At one point in my season last year when my swing felt like an unfolded lawn chair... I was considering as an act of desperation going to the Cobra Transition S irons. That set is very similar to the HiBore. Fortunately, my best friend played the part of Romeo and helped me jerk me out of my funk.

I'm not saying you have to be desperate to play the HB3's. I think they are completely relevant for a high handicapper. But, sets of this ilk take shot making completely out of equation. High and straight, high and straight, all day long. And SacTown is right, the short irons are not precision instruments by any stretch of the imagination so don't expect too much.

At one point in my season last year when my swing felt like an unfolded lawn chair... I was considering as an act of desperation going to the Cobra Transition S irons. That set is very similar to the HiBore. Fortunately, my best friend played the part of Romeo and helped me jerk me out of my funk.

I'm not saying you have to be desperate to play the HB3's. I think they are completely relevant for a high handicapper. But, sets of this ilk take shot making completely out of equation. High and straight, high and straight, all day long. And SacTown is right, the short irons are not precision instruments by any stretch of the imagination so don't expect too much.

If you are looking to grow the game though there i a market for these. Price should be a little more first-timer friendly, but if a 140 golfer can use these and shoot 110, they will enjoy the magic of the clubs and keep playing. Better than starting with dad's dunlop blades or something. Think of them as an inverse players iron.

$599 is a really good price, I wonder why so low? Usually these types of SGI clubs are pricey. (see Callaway i-Brids)

Golfsmith has the original xls for $399.99. I have been told that there are no differences between the xl, xli and the hb3, It's basically denotes the model year. None the less, I (if I play smart golf) play bogey golf on occasion using these. Great for any beginner (hacker).

Golfsmith has the original xls for $399.99. I have been told that there are no differences between the xl, xli and the hb3, It's basically denotes the model year. None the less, I (if I play smart golf) play bogey golf on occasion using these. Great for any beginner (hacker).

They all look pretty similar, that's for sure. At $400, that's a great price.

You bet.

Good find on the price. Those were much more expensive not too long ago. If high cappers were exposed to these, they could grow a following. The free six iron promotion from TM could be one option. Think about how these would sell if they were TM or Titleist. Cleveland golf, while an excellent manufacturer, is not as well known as the others.

Shotmaking? I play as a single a lot and have seldom played with anybody who was a shotmaker. Some people may have a preferred ballflight but I've run into few players who will play a cut to a back right pin and draw to a back left pin. Nothing wrong with high and straight. That being said, I'd have a hard time playing these but for the guy/gal who doesn't play or practice much--anything to make the game easier and quicker.

All those kinds of clubs remind me of the old Spalding Cannons from like the early to mid 1980's.

I think since the merger of cleveland and srixon the wood offering have been awesome from cleveland. Never hit a hybrid but i would be willin to bet they would be up to par.

I think since the merger of cleveland and srixon the wood offering have been awesome from cleveland. Never hit a hybrid but i would be willin to bet they would be up to par.

I have the 09 Launcher hybrids and they are excellent. Some don't like the launcher graphic on top, but I find it helpful.

They are long and forgiving. Worth hitting if you haven't.

They actually cause me to think this set may play quite good.

I'm not a chop (at least I don't like to think so), but I would have zero problem with high and straight all day. I agree that $600 is probably a little high for the target consumer here. You need to get these to people before they start to think of themselves as "golfers." Why? Because "golfers" go on and on about how they need to have visually appealing blades. This was meant as a joke...sort of. If these were $300 or $400 I think you could convince a new golfer to stretch a little and get these and they would be much happier.

The first thing that hit me about this ad was the word "hollow". To my ear, hollow is a really bad word. Makes it sound flimsy, like it will break if you hit it too hard. I'm sure it's a quality club, and it won't break, but that word...maybe it's just me.

The first thing that hit me about this ad was the word "hollow". To my ear, hollow is a really bad word. Makes it sound flimsy, like it will break if you hit it too hard. I'm sure it's a quality club, and it won't break, but that word...maybe it's just me.

This rubbed me weird too. My first thought was hollow = not solid.

Shotmaking? I play as a single a lot and have seldom played with anybody who was a shotmaker. Some people may have a preferred ballflight but I've run into few players who will play a cut to a back right pin and draw to a back left pin. Nothing wrong with high and straight. That being said, I'd have a hard time playing these but for the guy/gal who doesn't play or practice much--anything to make the game easier and quicker.

I actually owned a set of HiBore Irons for 2 months. Very high, very straight. I had to give them up, because I was unable to hit certain "shots" that I like to hit. Lower flighted curves are nearly impossible to achieve with these.

I actually owned a set of HiBore Irons for 2 months. Very high, very straight. I had to give them up, because I was unable to hit certain "shots" that I like to hit. Lower flighted curves are nearly impossible to achieve with these.

As with a lot of wide soled SGI irons. That is one of the reasons I love a forged cavity back.

From playing these rather than just speculation about them, do you think that they are appropriately priced and truly a boon to the high capper?

If you are looking to grow the game though there i a market for these. Price should be a little more first-timer friendly, but if a 140 golfer can use these and shoot 110, they will enjoy the magic of the clubs and keep playing. Better than starting with dad's dunlop blades or something. Think of them as an inverse players iron.

I agree. They are a good stepping stone to a more traditional SGI or SG set. We close most beginners in the first year in the game so like I said - they definitely have a place. :D

$599 is a really good price, I wonder why so low? Usually these types of SGI clubs are pricey. (see Callaway i-Brids)

Cleveland is usually more competitive in their pricing whereas Callaway is just the opposite. Its a shame because how many people starting out in the game will drop $800 on a set or irons? I'd say Cleveland is taking the better approach in this category.

I'm not a chop (at least I don't like to think so), but I would have zero problem with high and straight all day.

I'm surprised to hear you say that given all the wind we play in here in Illinois. I've had to adjust my entire bag since coming here to keep ball flight down and penetrating just so I don't get eaten up playing into the wind on some of these courses.