Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cleveland HB3 Irons

• SPY VIP

Just got an email from GG with this image.

hb3.jpg

Single image, but these look much better to me. Sand wedge still looks crazy I bet.

I'll hit them out of curiosity...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one point in my season last year when my swing felt like an unfolded lawn chair... I was considering as an act of desperation going to the Cobra Transition S irons. That set is very similar to the HiBore. Fortunately, my best friend played the part of Romeo and helped me jerk me out of my funk.

I'm not saying you have to be desperate to play the HB3's. I think they are completely relevant for a high handicapper. But, sets of this ilk take shot making completely out of equation. High and straight, high and straight, all day long. And SacTown is right, the short irons are not precision instruments by any stretch of the imagination so don't expect too much.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

At one point in my season last year when my swing felt like an unfolded lawn chair... I was considering as an act of desperation going to the Cobra Transition S irons. That set is very similar to the HiBore. Fortunately, my best friend played the part of Romeo and helped me jerk me out of my funk.

I'm not saying you have to be desperate to play the HB3's. I think they are completely relevant for a high handicapper. But, sets of this ilk take shot making completely out of equation. High and straight, high and straight, all day long. And SacTown is right, the short irons are not precision instruments by any stretch of the imagination so don't expect too much.

If you are looking to grow the game though there i a market for these. Price should be a little more first-timer friendly, but if a 140 golfer can use these and shoot 110, they will enjoy the magic of the clubs and keep playing. Better than starting with dad's dunlop blades or something. Think of them as an inverse players iron.

Volvo Intorqueo

Golfsmith has the original xls for $399.99. I have been told that there are no differences between the xl, xli and the hb3, It's basically denotes the model year. None the less, I (if I play smart golf) play bogey golf on occasion using these. Great for any beginner (hacker).

Golfsmith has the original xls for $399.99. I have been told that there are no differences between the xl, xli and the hb3, It's basically denotes the model year. None the less, I (if I play smart golf) play bogey golf on occasion using these. Great for any beginner (hacker).

They all look pretty similar, that's for sure. At $400, that's a great price.

• SPY VIP

You bet.

Good find on the price. Those were much more expensive not too long ago. If high cappers were exposed to these, they could grow a following. The free six iron promotion from TM could be one option. Think about how these would sell if they were TM or Titleist. Cleveland golf, while an excellent manufacturer, is not as well known as the others.

Volvo Intorqueo

Shotmaking? I play as a single a lot and have seldom played with anybody who was a shotmaker. Some people may have a preferred ballflight but I've run into few players who will play a cut to a back right pin and draw to a back left pin. Nothing wrong with high and straight. That being said, I'd have a hard time playing these but for the guy/gal who doesn't play or practice much--anything to make the game easier and quicker.

I think since the merger of cleveland and srixon the wood offering have been awesome from cleveland. Never hit a hybrid but i would be willin to bet they would be up to par.

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

• SPY VIP

I think since the merger of cleveland and srixon the wood offering have been awesome from cleveland. Never hit a hybrid but i would be willin to bet they would be up to par.

I have the 09 Launcher hybrids and they are excellent. Some don't like the launcher graphic on top, but I find it helpful.

They are long and forgiving. Worth hitting if you haven't.

They actually cause me to think this set may play quite good.

Volvo Intorqueo

I'm not a chop (at least I don't like to think so), but I would have zero problem with high and straight all day. I agree that $600 is probably a little high for the target consumer here. You need to get these to people before they start to think of themselves as "golfers." Why? Because "golfers" go on and on about how they need to have visually appealing blades. This was meant as a joke...sort of. If these were $300 or $400 I think you could convince a new golfer to stretch a little and get these and they would be much happier.

The first thing that hit me about this ad was the word "hollow". To my ear, hollow is a really bad word. Makes it sound flimsy, like it will break if you hit it too hard. I'm sure it's a quality club, and it won't break, but that word...maybe it's just me.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The first thing that hit me about this ad was the word "hollow". To my ear, hollow is a really bad word. Makes it sound flimsy, like it will break if you hit it too hard. I'm sure it's a quality club, and it won't break, but that word...maybe it's just me.

This rubbed me weird too. My first thought was hollow = not solid.

Shotmaking? I play as a single a lot and have seldom played with anybody who was a shotmaker. Some people may have a preferred ballflight but I've run into few players who will play a cut to a back right pin and draw to a back left pin. Nothing wrong with high and straight. That being said, I'd have a hard time playing these but for the guy/gal who doesn't play or practice much--anything to make the game easier and quicker.

I actually owned a set of HiBore Irons for 2 months. Very high, very straight. I had to give them up, because I was unable to hit certain "shots" that I like to hit. Lower flighted curves are nearly impossible to achieve with these.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I actually owned a set of HiBore Irons for 2 months. Very high, very straight. I had to give them up, because I was unable to hit certain "shots" that I like to hit. Lower flighted curves are nearly impossible to achieve with these.

As with a lot of wide soled SGI irons. That is one of the reasons I love a forged cavity back.

• SPY VIP

From playing these rather than just speculation about them, do you think that they are appropriately priced and truly a boon to the high capper?

Volvo Intorqueo

If you are looking to grow the game though there i a market for these. Price should be a little more first-timer friendly, but if a 140 golfer can use these and shoot 110, they will enjoy the magic of the clubs and keep playing. Better than starting with dad's dunlop blades or something. Think of them as an inverse players iron.

I agree. They are a good stepping stone to a more traditional SGI or SG set. We close most beginners in the first year in the game so like I said - they definitely have a place. :D

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

$599 is a really good price, I wonder why so low? Usually these types of SGI clubs are pricey. (see Callaway i-Brids)

Cleveland is usually more competitive in their pricing whereas Callaway is just the opposite. Its a shame because how many people starting out in the game will drop $800 on a set or irons? I'd say Cleveland is taking the better approach in this category.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'm not a chop (at least I don't like to think so), but I would have zero problem with high and straight all day.

I'm surprised to hear you say that given all the wind we play in here in Illinois. I've had to adjust my entire bag since coming here to keep ball flight down and penetrating just so I don't get eaten up playing into the wind on some of these courses.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Cleveland is usually more competitive in their pricing whereas Callaway is just the opposite. Its a shame because how many people starting out in the game will drop $800 on a set or irons? I'd say Cleveland is taking the better approach in this category.

IMO Cleveland has the better price and the better product. The i-Brids have always felt awkward for me to swing. But that's just my 2 cents.

I would love to compare these to my Dyanacraft Avatar XMOI Hybrids ( I won a 5 and a 7 iron/hybrid as a test. I found these hybrids very easy to hit, great feel and very forgiving.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I would love to compare these to my Dyanacraft Avatar XMOI Hybrids ( I won a 5 and a 7 iron/hybrid as a test. I found these hybrids very easy to hit, great feel and very forgiving.

So I went and found those elsewhere. Two questions.

At roughly $50 per club (where I found them) would you go with these over the older Cleveland offering that is around $400 a set?

Were these released before the movie Avatar? The blue coloration is kind of coincidental.

Volvo Intorqueo

At roughly $50 per club (where I found them) would you go with these over the older Cleveland offering that is around $400 a set?

Were these released before the movie Avatar? The blue coloration is kind of coincidental.

50.00 per club is someone reselling them, you can buy them direct at Heriko Golf for 35.50 a club, with all the options you want, shaft, grip, flex. I want to hit the Clevelands first before saying anything, but I do love their feel, and even their online fitting system.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

50.00 per club is someone reselling them, you can buy them direct at Heriko Golf for 35.50 a club, with all the options you want, shaft, grip, flex. I want to hit the Clevelands first before saying anything, but I do love their feel, and even their online fitting system.

Thanks John. At $35 a set that makes these a very competitive introductory set. I am assuming that these are not US made though. Correct?

Volvo Intorqueo

What older Cleveland offerings are you comparing them to? The older Hibores?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

What older Cleveland offerings are you comparing them to? The older Hibores?

Exactly. earlier in the thread someone posted that the originals can now be had for $400.

Volvo Intorqueo

Heriko Golf makes the component over seas, but the clubs are assembled in the US. Golf Spy has reviewed their products before.

MAYBE, we could persuade them to review these!!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Heriko Golf makes the component over seas, but the clubs are assembled in the US. Golf Spy has reviewed their products before.

MAYBE, we could persuade them to review these!!!

Maybe using certain high handicappers on the forum boards?

John is there a "best" site to find these online for purchase and more info?

Volvo Intorqueo

Exactly. earlier in the thread someone posted that the originals can now be had for $400.

Cleveland did build up their remaining inventory of hibore XLI irons and ship them I think. We have them for a bit less than 400, although that seems to be the going rate.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived