Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cleveland HB3 Irons

My intentions with these clubs are not to cover up my misses, but rather to help me make easier/better contact with the ball. Consequently, my accuracy/distance, will improve, which will add up to more fun and better scores.

I'm of the belief that a high handicapper can do better with these type of irons and hopefully get better. I also believe that a good golfer can play with just about any type of irons, but a high handicapper would have a hard time playing with blades. So, when I get better (I'm keeping a positive attitude), I will still play these clubs, as long as they do what I need them to to. If I ever get so good (to be honest here, I don't think I will ever get in the low 80s), that these clubs are lacking in some way, I will replace them.

My realistic goal here is mid to high 80s on a consistent basis, but even more than that, to play solid golf.

High 80s to low 90s in a week or two with good/solid shots would be fantastic!!!

Kevin

I only ask because I had a failed experiment with Hibore irons myself, and wanted another players opinion.

Thanks..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great goal Kevin. If my burners an I had not come to an understanding in recent weeks, I would seriously be looking at these too.

That's funny because Taylor-Made just sent me a burner 6-iron for free to try to get me to purchase a set! They say "it's better than the 6 iron your playing now". They were having some sort of promotion a while back that I must have enrolled in when I was thinking about a new set. They sent me a graphite/regular flex. Nice looking club!! But, I don't want to confuse the situation now that I have my new set, so- it will join the masses of other try-out clubs in my garage. I must start selling all these clubs on e-bay or my community or I won't be able to get my golf cart in the garage.

Kevin

I got the free burner 6i last year. Got me to switch from my set of RAC OS2's

still not totally sure that was a good idea :wacko:

Quick question about the Burners: is the swingweight on yours really high? I got the demo 6I and felt like the swingweight was off the charts. I never measured it, but was much heavier than my Mizunos.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Quick question about the Burners: is the swingweight on yours really high? I got the demo 6I and felt like the swingweight was off the charts. I never measured it, but was much heavier than my Mizunos.

No clue

got rid of the stock grips instantly

feels great with the itomics,

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

FWIW, the new SuperDuper fast Burner Driver SW out at D8...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

No clue

got rid of the stock grips instantly

feels great with the itomics,

Hmmm... I wonder if the grips were it, I used midsized Tour Velvets on my Mizzy's.

Itomics are the Tacki-Mac version of Iomics, right? They've held up pretty well for you?

• SPY VIP

Hmmm... I wonder if the grips were it, I used midsized Tour Velvets on my Mizzy's.

Itomics are the Tacki-Mac version of Iomics, right? They've held up pretty well for you?

So far. My 7i is showing some wear, as is the driver. both probably from range use.

as per nic I am going for white gas tomorrow to clean them.

hopefully they won't dissolve

am thinking about going back to the sharpro multi-compounds though

Volvo Intorqueo

So far. My 7i is showing some wear, as is the driver. both probably from range use.

as per nic I am going for white gas tomorrow to clean them.

hopefully they won't dissolve

am thinking about going back to the sharpro multi-compounds though

are they dirty, or wearing out??? If it is wear, I would love to know it.

• SPY VIP

are they dirty, or wearing out??? If it is wear, I would love to know it.

Driver is wear. It is the white model. I just noticed it today. May be from rubbing in the bag, but the wear is there. I am not one to hit 100 balls with driver at the range either...

7i is dirty, and a touch worn

Volvo Intorqueo

Driver is wear. It is the white model. I just noticed it today. May be from rubbing in the bag, but the wear is there. I am not one to hit 100 balls with driver at the range either...

7i is dirty, and a touch worn

distressing. I do not like to hear that those are wearing out. makes me sad.

• SPY VIP

distressing. I do not like to hear that those are wearing out. makes me sad.

Me too for some reason. I'll look more tomorrow and post some pictures after cleaning.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Sactown, you mentioned going back to Sharpros...have you had good experience with them? I saw that they make a version of the GPTV, but everything I found on other forums said that Sharpros are terrible. Thoughts?

Used them last year and I miss them a little. Maybe a comfort thing.

Started a grip thread to give this one back to...

HIBORE!!!!

Volvo Intorqueo

Used them last year and I miss them a little. Maybe a comfort thing.

Started a grip thread to give this one back to...

HIBORE!!!!

Second Review of the HB3s'

Greetings all- Just a quick little additional review of the HB3 all-hybrid irons (3-SW).

Played another 18 today- Took 5 stokes off my game from yesterdays!!!

Got used to hitting these very quick-only one chunked shot! (Bad set-up).

Never had to use the 3 or 5 wood and didn't and game didn't suffer at all. Actually, I think I might even take the woods out of the bag!

Conclusion---------

Length- about the same as Cobra S9s.

More confidence-inspiring at set-up.

Just easier to use!! ===== I even used the 3 iron/hybrid to hit a 40 yard chip and run that turned out great (didn't want to go to the cart for another club). I will now try to perfect this shot more than trying to flop a shot, that I used to do with the 60 degree wedge.

I found that this set has giving me a whole new range of shots to try with more confidence.

These are keepers!!!

Kevin

• SPY VIP

Fantastic news. I can really tell that you are enjoying playing golf. That is probably the best recommendation for these clubs.

Dropping 5 is most fantastic.

Still would like to see a picture of the SW if you get the chance.

your post was inspirational to this fellow high capper :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Still waiting for my 6I, would love to try it out~~

I am also. I don't care for Taylormade all that much but I thought I might hit it just to see what all the fuss is about. They are not endearing themselves at this point. Keep sending me emails, but no club. :angry:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I am also. I don't care for Taylormade all that much but I thought I might hit it just to see what all the fuss is about. They are not endearing themselves at this point. Keep sending me emails, but no club. ;)

How dare they make you wait for a free club!!!

IMO, you're going to be disappointed. You're too knowledgeable to believe that their 6I is longer (in distance), you know it's just the jacked up loft and length (of the club). Personally, I never got beyond the crazy headweight to get it on grass to test the sole or really see the forgiveness in full flight.

• SPY VIP

I am also. I don't care for Taylormade all that much but I thought I might hit it just to see what all the fuss is about. They are not endearing themselves at this point. Keep sending me emails, but no club. ;)

Call customer service. Made all the difference when I got my free 6i last year...

Volvo Intorqueo

Call customer service. Made all the difference when I got my free 6i last year...

Why should I? It's a matter of principle at this point. Either they are going to send me the club from their stupid survey or they won't.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Why should I? It's a matter of principle at this point. Either they are going to send me the club from their stupid survey or they won't.

I found with TM if you take the time to call, things happen. I hadn't got mine, called, and they overnighted it to me. YMMV

Volvo Intorqueo

Despite my smart remark, I am sorry that they aren't giving a better showing. I got mine quite quickly, but it was very early in the promotion. They might be back ordered at this point.

First post! Nice to see an SGI thread taken seriously. I bought the XLi's and am happy with the purchase. I do have to use a soft ball like the Noodle to gain better feel. I am curious about when to switch to the HB3. Was there a big gain?

Greetings!

First post! Nice to see an SGI thread taken seriously. I bought the XLi's and am happy with the purchase. I do have to use a soft ball like the Noodle to gain better feel. I am curious about when to switch to the HB3. Was there a big gain?

Greetings!

Welcome...

it seems like the main difference between the HB3 and the XLI is a paint thing. The clubs look the same, act the same, and cost the same. I would stick with the XLI's and not pony up for the HB3's, unless you got in on the free iron promo from Cleveland golf... then I would do it.

Welcome...

it seems like the main difference between the HB3 and the XLI is a paint thing. The clubs look the same, act the same, and cost the same. I would stick with the XLI's and not pony up for the HB3's, unless you got in on the free iron promo from Cleveland golf... then I would do it.

Thanks for the Welcome! I do have the promo. So, I was wondering if I should wait until

the very end and swap later or if it was a big improvement - switch now. I thought of

converting to something a little more traditional like a launcher combo ( those hybrids don't do it for me, the DST's look good ). But, I would be afraid to give up the forgiving XLi's. I now love par 3's!!!

Do you find a particular balls works well with them?

Thanks for the Welcome! I do have the promo. So, I was wondering if I should wait until

the very end and swap later or if it was a big improvement - switch now. I thought of

converting to something a little more traditional like a launcher combo ( those hybrids don't do it for me, the DST's look good ). But, I would be afraid to give up the forgiving XLi's. I now love par 3's!!!

Do you find a particular balls works well with them?

The launcher combo might be a really nice upgrade. As far a balls go, I would probably trend towards something a bit on the softer side.. Bstone 330RXS, Trispeed Tour, TF Gamer. Try a few, and find a winner. I would probably not wait until the very end of the promo to trade.. Give yourself a few weeks just in case....

Weird how last year I was all about a hybrid set, now my irons are on fire, and now I am considering blades. Dynacraft and Powerbilt make some nice Hybrid sets. And welcome also

!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of Cleveland HiBore Irons and I tell you, with the clubs all the way up to 9 iron & even my HiBore pitching wedge I can easily `shape' shots, so don't know what these other forum users are on about?

Yes the shot making is most probably not as precise as sharp soled blades, but I'm telling you from 100 yards out if I pick a particulat quarter of the green to play to and play accordingly, these HiBore hybrid irons are perfect, & relatively easy to use!!!

Cleveland \'06 HiBore Hybrid Irons.jpg

RosscoH

Archived