Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cleveland HB3 Irons

Maybe using certain high handicappers on the forum boards?

John is there a "best" site to find these online for purchase and more info?

Yes, go straight to the source, www.herikogolf.com I think that's their site, if not, just search Heriko. Get fit and then buy them direct.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Thanks john found it. Crazy putters there. All cheap too. Has the Dynacraft from the other posting.

Check out this one: http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/1633/0/0/0/0/0

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Just got an email from GG with this image.

hb3.jpg

Single image, but these look much better to me. Sand wedge still looks crazy I bet.

I'll hit them out of curiosity...

I just ordered a set of HB3's and should get them in 2 days. I will be playing them the next day, since all I do is play golf and fish at my active retirement community.

This will be my second set of "all hybrid set" from Cleveland. I had the original hibore's when they first came out a few years ago. I used them for about 2 years and sold them and replaced them with Cobra S9s. For the life of me, I can't remember why I changed. I can't remember how they played, although I had the wrong shaft flex (Senior)(A), when I really needed regular. I believe I just wanted something new. I do remember that the S9s had a very good reputation, so I got them and do like them, but I saw these new HB3s and thought "why not"!

I do like the fact that I can use all these clubs without having to change swings from irons to hybrids to fairway woods, etc. I'm considering taking out my driver and possibly 3 wood and just using my 5wood (180 yrs) for drives. I'm tired of purchasing drivers (currently 5) and I can trust my 5 wood to go straight. I hope that these HB3s' will do what they advertise (high and straight), and I will be fine.

Best Regards

Kevin

Just from a blade players perspective that have never tried hybrid clubs like these, do they get spin on them?

One thing that I remember about the original hybores, is, that I could play a draw and fade, even though I prefered to go straight. What I mean by that is that if I had to draw or fade around an obstacle (tree) I could close/open the face and just go for it. Some of my better shots was when I tried to do this. I could also pull off a draw/fade on occasion, but usually I just try to hit the fat part of any green anyhow.

As far as "spin" if you mean spin-back like on the green; I don't think so, but that just might be me, since I don't think I've ever really able to do that with any club. I am usually about a 22-25 handicap, so that might be the reason.

Regards,

Kevin

• SPY VIP

One thing that I remember about the original hybores, is, that I could play a draw and fade, even though I prefered to go straight. What I mean by that is that if I had to draw or fade around an obstacle (tree) I could close/open the face and just go for it. Some of my better shots was when I tried to do this. I could also pull off a draw/fade on occasion, but usually I just try to hit the fat part of any green anyhow.

As far as "spin" if you mean spin-back like on the green; I don't think so, but that just might be me, since I don't think I've ever really able to do that with any club. I am usually about a 22-25 handicap, so that might be the reason.

Regards,

Kevin

Hey Kevin

Are you still bagging these, or have you moved on? If so what are you in now and why?

Volvo Intorqueo

Hey Kevin

Are you still bagging these, or have you moved on? If so what are you in now and why?

No- I sold them to another club member last season and went to Cobra S9s. I read alot of reports about the cobra s9s and thought I give them a try. They are fine, but I've been having a little trouble with my consistency lately and when I saw that cleveland had a new/improved hybrid set, I just went ahead and ordered them. If they don't work out, I will go back to the S9s.

I like the idea that most of my bag will be basically the same looking club and that might help me get my handicap back down. I've been having trouble with hitting it fat and thin. I think that these were good at not doing this. I play the 3rd hardest course in the Carolinas and it has pretty tight lies in the fairway most of the time. This makes hitting the ball just right or else. These clubs, I hope, will help.

Kevin

• SPY VIP

No- I sold them to another club member last season and went to Cobra S9s. I read alot of reports about the cobra s9s and thought I give them a try. They are fine, but I've been having a little trouble with my consistency lately and when I saw that cleveland had a new/improved hybrid set, I just went ahead and ordered them. If they don't work out, I will go back to the S9s.

I like the idea that most of my bag will be basically the same looking club and that might help me get my handicap back down. I've been having trouble with hitting it fat and thin. I think that these were good at not doing this. I play the 3rd hardest course in the Carolinas and it has pretty tight lies in the fairway most of the time. This makes hitting the ball just right or else. These clubs, I hope, will help.

Kevin

good plan. Keep us informed, I think that the new version looks better than the old ones but it would be great to hear the review from someone who played both.

What set make-up are you thinking 3-P or more? I have heard that the SW is kind of crazy looking.

Volvo Intorqueo

good plan. Keep us informed, I think that the new version looks better than the old ones but it would be great to hear the review from someone who played both.

What set make-up are you thinking 3-P or more? I have heard that the SW is kind of crazy looking.

I ordered the 3-PW and also the gap wedge and sand wedge. I'm actually hoping that the sand wedge has a large/wide sole because that will help me in the bunkers. I really have trouble in the green-side bunders. There are clubs made (Natural Golf, etc) that are made just to get out of the green-side bunkers and I was just about to get one. These clubs are made with a very wide sole and lots of bounce so all you have to do is hit it just like a regular shot. You don't have to open your stance or club face.

I will post my reviews after my first round.

Kevin

• SPY VIP

I ordered the 3-PW and also the gap wedge and sand wedge. I'm actually hoping that the sand wedge has a large/wide sole because that will help me in the bunkers. I really have trouble in the green-side bunders. There are clubs made (Natural Golf, etc) that are made just to get out of the green-side bunkers and I was just about to get one. These clubs are made with a very wide sole and lots of bounce so all you have to do is hit it just like a regular shot. You don't have to open your stance or club face.

I will post my reviews after my first round.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

If you can get a picture of the SW I would appreciate it to satisfy my curiosity.

Volvo Intorqueo

Thanks Kevin

If you can get a picture of the SW I would appreciate it to satisfy my curiosity.

Will do!!--- I will be taking many pictures in the next couple of days of all my other clubs to sell them on e-bay. My wife is starting to get on me about all the drivers and farway woods that are just taking up too much space in my garage. I'm also selling all of my guitars and amplifiers that are filling up the closets and I haven't even played in 10 years. Also, it will help pay for the new clubs!!

Kevin

• SPY VIP

Will do!!--- I will be taking many pictures in the next couple of days of all my other clubs to sell them on e-bay. My wife is starting to get on me about all the drivers and farway woods that are just taking up too much space in my garage. I'm also selling all of my guitars and amplifiers that are filling up the closets and I haven't even played in 10 years. Also, it will help pay for the new clubs!!

Kevin

Did the same with a bunch of old stuff in the barn. It is fun to turn the old unused stuff into bright shiny new gear. I always felt that if I bought nice gear, like cameron putters, with the money from selling garage stuff it was a solid investment because I can then play the putter or move it later for the same cash.

Volvo Intorqueo

Kevin

Where do you play at?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Did the same with a bunch of old stuff in the barn. It is fun to turn the old unused stuff into bright shiny new gear. I always felt that if I bought nice gear, like cameron putters, with the money from selling garage stuff it was a solid investment because I can then play the putter or move it later for the same cash.

Exactly---I also have about 5 putters!! I have not yet found the right one-you know- the one that just fits!! I was watching on ebay a couple of weeks ago one of the Scotty Camerons. It was the Red X3, if you know which one that is. I seem to do a little better with that type of putter. My golf club has one in their shop that I keep fooling with whenever I check-in to play. But, at @299.00, I just can't justify it. Hence, looking on ebay for a 33" Scotty Cameron RedX 3. They seem to go for about 120.00. I'm a little concerned about getting a copy though.

Kevin

• SPY VIP

Exactly---I also have about 5 putters!! I have not yet found the right one-you know- the one that just fits!! I was watching on ebay a couple of weeks ago one of the Scotty Camerons. It was the Red X3, if you know which one that is. I seem to do a little better with that type of putter. My golf club has one in their shop that I keep fooling with whenever I check-in to play. But, at @299.00, I just can't justify it. Hence, looking on ebay for a 33" Scotty Cameron RedX 3. They seem to go for about 120.00. I'm a little concerned about getting a copy though.

Kevin

Find a good seller. I like to look for one that actually has a real shop somewhere too. Mortongolf is the one that is located near me and I bought an X5 with the plumber's neck from them last year. easy purchase and a 30 day return where you are only out shipping costs. You may also look into the Mizuno Bettinardi Black Carbon Series Putter - BC3. These are great and you can find them cheap (150 or lower) now that Bettinardi is no longer with Mizuno. Very nice feeling putter.

Volvo Intorqueo

Find a good seller. I like to look for one that actually has a real shop somewhere too. Mortongolf is the one that is located near me and I bought an X5 with the plumber's neck from them last year. easy purchase and a 30 day return where you are only out shipping costs. You may also look into the Mizuno Bettinardi Black Carbon Series Putter - BC3. These are great and you can find them cheap (150 or lower) now that Bettinardi is no longer with Mizuno. Very nice feeling putter.

Will do!! Thanks for the tip!

Kevin

• SPY VIP

Volvo Intorqueo

What kind of insert do they use? Also, how do you compare it to the Scotty Red X5?

Kevin

Never Mind----I just found out that it isn't an insert but milled that way.

• SPY VIP

What kind of insert do they use? Also, how do you compare it to the Scotty Red X5?

Kevin

Never Mind----I just found out that it isn't an insert but milled that way.

No insert, it is all milled carbon steel with a special finish. The face looks like an insert, but that is the special milling to make it softer feeling.

I like it better than the X5 that I rolled by a large margin, but I also am not a fan of most inserts.

LOL

missed the nevermind :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Those Cleveland HB3's and club sets like them aren't my cup of tea...but I've seen more than one guy score in the 70's with them.

I'm glad to hear this. To be honest, I would rather be able to play consistenly with regular irons. It's just that I'm hoping that these will give me more confidence and consistency.

Kevin

• SPY VIP

Volvo Intorqueo

Where do you play at?

I play at Carolina Lakes golf club in South Carolina.

NOW FOR MY REVIEW OF THE CLEVELAND HB3 HYBRID IRONS!!!!!!

Well, I played my first 18 today and thought I'd post my first impressions of the HB3 irons.

First of all- it started out pretty good. It got a little worse and then much better!

First Hole- Bad drive (not cleveland driver) Was left with 181 to the hole (uphill measured w/Bushnell range finder) Usually I'm left with around 140-150. Thought I'd try the longest club 3-hybrid. Result-3 yeards short of the green with a little unwanted fade, but not too bad! If it were straighter by 3 yards, it would have been great! Little chip with the 9 iron-hybrid to about 3 feet and 1 putt! So far, so good.

To make this review much shorter, I will skip through to the 13th hole. Nice drive (200 yrds), which is about my average. That left about 200yards to hole. Pulled the 3 iron-hybrid out again to get acquainted with its true yardage. Ball landed about 10 yards from green, which is a good shot for this par 5, due to water on left. 9 iron chip to about 10 feet from about 80 feet. I was happy, especially since I don't usually use a 9 iron to chip.

To summarize- I find that even though this is the first time with these new clubs, I have found that they seem to do the job very well-especially if you try not to kill the shot! A nice even tempo with good contact have these clubs doing just what I wanted them to do! They go straight and a little longer than the Cobra S9 irons.

Feel- nice

Confidence-inspiring during set-up

Did not chunk any shots-very unusual

Distance-very good for my swing speed (easy set-up and just have confidence that they will go pretty close to where I'm aiming) This was my main objective.

Still getting used to distances-but seem to be 1/2 club longer than Cobra S9s'.

When I get new clubs, I normally take my shot tracking radar unit up to the range and hit about 10 with each club to get an average. Didn't have time to do that, but will in near future and will report findings.

What I think I like the most about having an all-hybrid set again, is having most of the clubs looking almost the same, with the longer iron hybrids (3,4) being easier to grab out of the bag-instead of picking out another type of hybrid (Bobby Jones),or fairway wood. Just grab the 3 or 4 irons on longer shots and go. If these long iron hybrids continue to give me these yardages, I might just take out the fairway woods, due to the fact that the distances will overlap! I don't need a 5 or maybe even a 3 wood, if the 3 and 4 irons go the same, but more accurate. I would always pray when I had to hit a 3 or 5 wood when accuracy was important. On the 18th- I had 175 to hole, with half of the green protected by bunkers. Was able to put the 3 iron-hybrid on the open side of the green!!! A little too much run though (maybe should have tried 4 iron-hybrid)---Very Nice!!!- Since I usually don't get on in 2!!!

Will report back tommorrow after another 18.

Kevin

nice to hear that you had some success with these irons. I sold a set to one of my guys a few years ago, and he promptly went out and won the net club championship 3 weeks later. He was never happier.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

nice to hear that you had some success with these irons. I sold a set to one of my guys a few years ago, and he promptly went out and won the net club championship 3 weeks later. He was never happier.

Thanks- I have a 30-day trial with these clubs. If they don't work out, I can exchange them for another set. I would hope that these will work out in the long-run. So far-so good!!

If anyone has any questions regarding these clubs, I will do my best to answer honestly. I probably left out many things-since I've never done a club review before.

Kevin

Thanks- I have a 30-day trial with these clubs. If they don't work out, I can exchange them for another set. I would hope that these will work out in the long-run. So far-so good!!

If anyone has any questions regarding these clubs, I will do my best to answer honestly. I probably left out many things-since I've never done a club review before.

Kevin

I see that you are a 24 cap, so are you looking for a set that will cover up you misses, or something that will allow you to grow??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I see that you are a 24 cap, so are you looking for a set that will cover up you misses, or something that will allow you to grow??

My intentions with these clubs are not to cover up my misses, but rather to help me make easier/better contact with the ball. Consequently, my accuracy/distance, will improve, which will add up to more fun and better scores.

I'm of the belief that a high handicapper can do better with these type of irons and hopefully get better. I also believe that a good golfer can play with just about any type of irons, but a high handicapper would have a hard time playing with blades. So, when I get better (I'm keeping a positive attitude), I will still play these clubs, as long as they do what I need them to to. If I ever get so good (to be honest here, I don't think I will ever get in the low 80s), that these clubs are lacking in some way, I will replace them.

My realistic goal here is mid to high 80s on a consistent basis, but even more than that, to play solid golf.

High 80s to low 90s in a week or two with good/solid shots would be fantastic!!!

Kevin

Archived