TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club options and pricing are killing me.

JBones

I'm getting sick of having to spend $500-$700 dollars to get a club that is fit for me. Why don't companies sell heads only at a cheaper price, so I can put my own shaft in it. I was a HUGE fan of the Callaway I-mix series, because you could buy heads only and select from a wide range of shafts. By the time it was all said and done, I had between $500-$700 wrapped up in the I-mix, but it was with 2 different heads and a few different shafts. I have sent emails to Taylormade and Adams asking where I can buy heads only, because I have a plethora of shafts that I love. Their response..."We don't sell heads only. You can find heads only online, but we can't guarantee their authenticity". Now with that being said, Adams does sell their LD heads through authorized dealers online. Even if I only saved $20-$40 by buying a head only, that would be great. I want to have the same damn options that a tour player has; I want to walk into an authorized dealer and say "I want that head, with that shaft, with that grip, and it have a swing weight of D5." We're the ones that are paying all this money, shouldn't we get the same treatment and options. I'm not saying that they should only have that option, some people are fine with walking in and gaming a "stock" club. I'm to the point where I refuse to buy a new club (specifically driver) for $400, only to immediately yank the shaft and spend another $100-$200 on a shaft. If I could spend $400-$450 on a driver that is built for ME, I'd be fine with that. Until then, I'll continue to buy used equipment, so I can afford to get it fit for ME.

/rant

I'm with you, that's why I always look at the component companies. But there are two problems with the component companies: first, you can't try the head before you buy, second big OEM clubs come with all the bells and whistles whereas component heads often have to compromise in one area. I'm not sure if that "one area" is worth the difference in price, but I think it is sometimes.

The problem is most consumers don't think like many MGS readers, they want simplicity. If you give someone who knows little about clubs too many options, it'll scare them off. I don't think it's a profit issue because I'm guessing they make very little to nothing off the stock shafts.

The problem is most consumers don't think like many MGS readers, they want simplicity. If you give someone who knows little about clubs too many options, it'll scare them off. I don't think it's a profit issue because I'm guessing they make very little to nothing off the stock shafts.

I can't speak to what it is, but I'd bet we'd be shocked at what the markup is on those stock shafts.

Don't you love someone who will tell you how to do something and start the process off by saying I have never done it, but...?

I have never done it, but Titleist has a bunches of options with their clubs. I had the heads on some AP2's replaced once and it was relatively painless, But you go the "Authorized Fitting Center" read some place with the Titleist Cart, find the combination you want or select from their book and pay your money and wait for Titleist to send it to you. Some are with an up charge and some are not

I have always assumed that you could do that to any manufacturer.

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/2011_Titleist_Custom_Options.pdf

Now I am not a huge fan of spending $500 and waiting several weeks to get my stuff.

I have not bought a new driver since the Taylormade R580. This was like in May of that year, decade, or century. And then like maybe mid-June or July, TMag designers had an amazing break through came out with the R580xd and told me mine was obsolete, practically useless, and practically challenged my manhood if I failed to up grade and I could now buy that same club that I had just paid $400 for for less than $200. Until last month, I had not swung a TM club since. I understand that every year the price of the clubs goes down but for them to come out with a club in the middle of the year pissed me off. But I am about to get over it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Not that this is a great answer, but a lot of it comes down to warranty. Most of the OEMs do a great job of standing behind their product, but if you start doing your own club work, you're on your own. If they sell you just the head, there's no way they can warranty it. I know that you may not care, but on a large scale, that's not a great business decision because when head's break and they tell people, "You're S.O.L." people will be pissed.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Not that this is a great answer, but a lot of it comes down to warranty. Most of the OEMs do a great job of standing behind their product, but if you start doing your own club work, you're on your own. If they sell you just the head, there's no way they can warranty it. I know that you may not care, but on a large scale, that's not a great business decision because when head's break and they tell people, "You're S.O.L." people will be pissed.

I completely agree with that. I'm not necessarily wanting to do it myself, I want the option at an authorized dealer. In my perfect world, I would have the selections as I stated previous and the authorized dealer would put the club together, thus keeping my warranty intact.

I'm getting sick of having to spend $500-$700 dollars to get a club that is fit for me. Why don't companies sell heads only at a cheaper price, so I can put my own shaft in it. I was a HUGE fan of the Callaway I-mix series, because you could buy heads only and select from a wide range of shafts. By the time it was all said and done, I had between $500-$700 wrapped up in the I-mix, but it was with 2 different heads and a few different shafts. I have sent emails to Taylormade and Adams asking where I can buy heads only, because I have a plethora of shafts that I love. Their response..."We don't sell heads only. You can find heads only online, but we can't guarantee their authenticity". Now with that being said, Adams does sell their LD heads through authorized dealers online. Even if I only saved $20-$40 by buying a head only, that would be great. I want to have the same damn options that a tour player has; I want to walk into an authorized dealer and say "I want that head, with that shaft, with that grip, and it have a swing weight of D5." We're the ones that are paying all this money, shouldn't we get the same treatment and options. I'm not saying that they should only have that option, some people are fine with walking in and gaming a "stock" club. I'm to the point where I refuse to buy a new club (specifically driver) for $400, only to immediately yank the shaft and spend another $100-$200 on a shaft. If I could spend $400-$450 on a driver that is built for ME, I'd be fine with that. Until then, I'll continue to buy used equipment, so I can afford to get it fit for ME.

/rant

I agree with you 110% that's why this year when I went from my 9032LS rack model I was able to get my hands on a Fast 12 LS tour van head through a friend of mine. It made it a lot easier for me to get a custom fit shaft into a head in which I know very well is an exact loft, exact weight, tight tolerances for COR, etc. The whole rig ended up running me $500 out the door, I paid $500 for the shaft and head installed, like you said that is a bargain compared to the $600 or $700 it could have been.

I'll tell you what it sure would be nice to have the tight tolerances of tour equipment to be able to be ordered for an average consumer. I'm sure that they wouldn't get a lot of business but I think a lot of people would pay $250 for a driver head only to know what they are getting especially the ones that want to custom fit a shaft to the head.

I honestly think there is a solid market out there for companies to do some of the following

Drivers / Fairway / hybrids ~ loft, lie, face angle, cor checking and given specs

Irons ~ loft, lie, groove depth/ width, weighed each head before the builder gets them (would cut down on build time)

Wedges - same as irons

A man can dream right? As is stands now you have to know people to get that kind of equipment which sucks.

Majority of the time I have had stock shafts professionally pulled and after market shafts installed, if I have had a head break on me (I have cracked the faces of a few drivers due to cold weather) then I take it into the place i got the shaft work done and have them warranty the head. So if they sell the heads to authorized builders so to speak then they shouldn't have an issue with warranty either. Really a lot of companies will still warranty something as long as it was purchased new with-in a given amount of time from a authorized dealer.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I honestly think there is a solid market out there for companies to do some of the following

Drivers / Fairway / hybrids ~ loft, lie, face angle, cor checking and given specs

Irons ~ loft, lie, groove depth/ width, weighed each head before the builder gets them (would cut down on build time)

Wedges - same as irons

The problem with this is it would devalue anything not within tight tolerances. People who feel they have to pay for the face angle/cor service or if they don't, they would feel they're going to get a sub quality product. Worse yet are customers who don't know about this option coming back later angry because they were sold the bottom of the barrel gear. Finally, all this would take a lot of time for golf shops, who prefer to sell in high volumes.

With irons/wedges, it's not a big deal. When you buy a new set, you should have it checked for loft/lie.

I've been annoyed by this before too. I'd like to option to buy heads only. I guess the bottom line as to why most companies won't do this is quite simply the bottom line. It just isn't worth it to them. Catering to a a very small minority of very picky people is much more difficult and time consuming than marketing to the masses.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

The problem with this is it would devalue anything not within tight tolerances. People who feel they have to pay for the face angle/cor service or if they don't, they would feel they're going to get a sub quality product. Worse yet are customers who don't know about this option coming back later angry because they were sold the bottom of the barrel gear. Finally, all this would take a lot of time for golf shops, who prefer to sell in high volumes.

With irons/wedges, it's not a big deal. When you buy a new set, you should have it checked for loft/lie.

Ping offers digital lofting. I'm not sure it devalues the "normal" product because most people don't know that the digital lofting service exists. Also, I would bet that most people would say, "I'm not good enough to need that."

I've been annoyed by this before too. I'd like to option to buy heads only. I guess the bottom line as to why most companies won't do this is quite simply the bottom line. It just isn't worth it to them. Catering to a a very small minority of very picky people is much more difficult and time consuming than marketing to the masses.

You are correct. We are the...maybe 5% (probably less) that creates 50% (probably more) of the complaining :lol:

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

What a great topic! this same issue has been killing me recently (I'm trying to build a new set) and was forced to drop 300 on the R11 and then another 200 on the shaft. I mean, the head itself doesn't cost too much to build - the cost is mostly in the shaft, but the blur has no resale value... which leaves me out a 100 that could have been put to a better use elsewhere...

Oh well.

I could rant for hours.

I have been buying the heads and shafts separately for years on eBay. I would love to order MB2 from Adams and KBS shafts and ferrules and my preferred grips and some glue. But instead I am forced to get a mis matched set and take then apart.

I have been buying the heads and shafts separately for years on eBay. I would love to order MB2 from Adams and KBS shafts and ferrules and my preferred grips and some glue. But instead I am forced to get a mis matched set and take then apart.

I had a set of hogan heads for 6 years before I found shafts I wanted and felt worth the noney

You have a good point coming from my stand point however not offering the service is a bit like robbing someone because indirectly they are forcing people that are very knowledgeable to buy a bottom of the barrel and then customize and fit it to them with adjustments and shafts. OEMs also market and play on average golfers thinking. 'Cure that slice' 'Hit it longer' 'White gives you a better alignment' whatever it might be.

If we fit every golfer out there the first time they got a full set of clubs OEM would flat lose a lot of business because people wouldn't buy product as often unless they got better and something changed in their game. What we have currently in the high volume shops around the country is a lot of the same. Which to me is sub par quality products for the price they charge consumers.

If you were to grab five drivers off the rack all marked the same flex and same loft (Stiff Flex, 9.5 for example). I would be willing to guess that ALL of these clubs would come out with different numbers for the following:

1) CPM on shaft is going to end up being anything from a Regular Flex to a X-Stiff Flex

2) effective loft is going to be a wide range of numbers probably from 9.0 to 10.5 i would guess could be off more

3) most likely the face angle is going to be slightly off from manufacture specification.

So it would be nice for the small community that wants it to have the ability to order directly or go to a small custom shops that can get heads only that are a bit tighter of tolerances then what is on the self in high volume stores. I know that would never happen but it would be very nice if it existed. Kind of a Miura fitting for the big OEMs would be great.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Warranty was already touched on, but can you imagine the costs involved in all of this? Inventory and logistical nightmare for the companies. With all of the heads being all over the map with lofts, face angles, and weights and now categorizing all of it? Wow.

I love this idea, but I don't think it will ever come to fruition. If you want the opportunities with equipment that come with being a tour player, the easiest way to get access to that is become one. Good luck! :P

Also, if you don't have a consistent swing (good, consistent ball striker), then who cares how exact your equipment is built because you can't benefit from it.

here is an interesting read at GolfSmith --> http://www.golfsmith.com/display_page.php?page_num=cm_lp_mag0508_clubmaking_tip

Lofts all over the map compared to the stated on a blind test.

Just do what I do, refuse to buy new. I haven't bought a new c,ub bar wedges in 4-5 years. I still seem to score and play pretty well. Paying retail $$ suck.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I had a set of hogan heads for 6 years before I found shafts I wanted and felt worth the noney

Rick, do you realise MB2s come stock with KBS shafts.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Rick, do you realise MB2s come stock with KBS shafts.

Yes, I spent too much time at the 19th hole yesterday and did not say exactly what I meant to say.

A few weeks ago, I saw some MB2's heads on eBay and bid on them. They ended up going for more than I wanted to spend. At least too high when I have two sets of really good irons and am not looking to replace them right now. And if I were I would probably look towards the Ping S series. But the MB2's looked really cool and I would have goten them to go on some existing shafts for the right price.

I have never tried KBS Shafts but did reseach them when I first saw the MB2's I decided that I would periodically check to see if some one was selling these cheap and get some if I ever saw them for the right price.

I am not really in the market for either but would buy either if I saw the price low enough. The price on them together is more than I want to spend.

We were talking about components and I made that statement. Not only did it not come out right, it posted twice.

Rick, I got mine for 415.00 brand new, course they are last years, but KBS shafts, and they are great irons

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Warranty was already touched on, but can you imagine the costs involved in all of this? Inventory and logistical nightmare for the companies. With all of the heads being all over the map with lofts, face angles, and weights and now categorizing all of it? Wow.

I love this idea, but I don't think it will ever come to fruition. If you want the opportunities with equipment that come with being a tour player, the easiest way to get access to that is become one. Good luck! :P

Also, if you don't have a consistent swing (good, consistent ball striker), then who cares how exact your equipment is built because you can't benefit from it.

That's exactly it. Too much cost. Not to mention the leftover inventory incurs a tax at the end of the fiscal year... who wants to pay for over-ordering ATTAS's and Iomics?

There's not one person that would benefit from knowing if their driver is 10.3* or 10.5. 9.5 or 10.5, not so much- especially if you believe the loft/launch angle effect TMaG gave Golf Spy T in the haircut article. Or if your face angle is .5* closed and not square. Or if your clubhead weighs 203g and not 200g (3g is normal tolerance). Or if the COR's .82 and not .83 (a whopping 2 yards difference!). You'd be making the experience a LOT more expensive than it'd need to be, which would likely only result in pissing you off for things that aren't truly relevant. I don't know about you, but that's not my cup of tea.

Just do what I do, refuse to buy new. I haven't bought a new c,ub bar wedges in 4-5 years. I still seem to score and play pretty well. Paying retail $$ suck.

That's what I do, it's the only way golf can be affordable. I've bought 3x more shafts in the last five years, than I have clubs, which is one reason I'd like a head only option. My game seems to be in fairly good shape with what I have, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

• SPY VIP

That's what I do, it's the only way golf can be affordable. I've bought 3x more shafts in the last five years, than I have clubs, which is one reason I'd like a head only option. My game seems to be in fairly good shape with what I have, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Sorta makes the case for adjustable/interchangeable drivers doesn't it? As much as I believe everyone should GO GET FIT, I'm a tinkerer at heart, and I do like to occasionally try out different shafts. Of course, when you find a shaft you like, and a new model of your favorite driver comes out, it's also nice to be able to drop that shaft in to a new head without the hassle and risk of a shaft puller and epoxy.

While it's nice that GolfWorks has aftermarket tips available for most adjustable drivers on the market today, I still give all due credit to TaylorMade for making their OEM tips available at retail. Shame on everybody else.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Sorta makes the case for adjustable/interchangeable drivers doesn't it? As much as I believe everyone should GO GET FIT, I'm a tinkerer at heart, and I do like to occasionally try out different shafts. Of course, when you find a shaft you like, and a new model of your favorite driver comes out, it's also nice to be able to drop that shaft in to a new head without the hassle and risk of a shaft puller and epoxy.

While it's nice that GolfWorks has aftermarket tips available for most adjustable drivers on the market today, I still give all due credit to TaylorMade for making their OEM tips available at retail. Shame on everybody else.

One of the reasons I loved the FT9 was because it is an iMix. I have never been bought into the "adjustable" clubs All the early ones did was basically the same thing as taking a stronger or weaker grip and adjust the swing plane. But i have never played with one so they maybe worth it. However, interchangable shafts are awesome. I have been trying to find the right combination for my 909D3 and the shaft that is great in the FT9 spins too much in the 909D3, so it is a stick in and glue. That means I can only test one shaft per day, not to mention the difficulty of getting the old shaft out without damaging it.

I'm also a tinkerer and what you said is the main reason I'm leaning towards TM when I do finally buy a new driver.

I have never been bought into the "adjustable" clubs All the early ones did was basically the same thing as taking a stronger or weaker grip and adjust the swing plane.

I was the same way, but I'm really starting to reconsider. After building clubs for a little while now, it's pretty obvious that you cannot get a club that fits you perfectly unless it's adjustable. The adjustable clubs give you much better loft options and the weight ports make it easy to switch shafts (lighter shaft = lighter SW).

I just wish the component manufacturers would make a driver/fairway with an adjustable hosel and weight ports (I still don't totally buy the ASP plate concept). The BM3 is the closet component I've seen with adjustability, but it's lacking the hosel to tweak loft. Right now, I'm seriously considering a R11 so I can move to a shorter driver than what I have. I may hold off until the end of the season and get one on closeout when the R12 or R11 super tri is released.

... I have been trying to find the right combination for my 909D3 and the shaft that is great in the FT9 spins too much in the 909D3, so it is a stick in and glue. That means I can only test one shaft per day, not to mention the difficulty of getting the old shaft out without damaging it.

I'm only now putting my 909 D3 into play. I bought it experienced, head only, but had an old Roddio that needed a home. The head looked nice and it was cheap so I bought it. The 909 D3 has a poor reputation amongst my golfer friends so it goes cheap.

I assembled it myself and immediately disliked the feel because it needed too much attention, so I retired it for a better day. I worked with friendlier drivers until recently when I thought I could finally handle the 909 D3. So far, it's working well for me.

Some clubs need a bit of time for you to become able to appreciate them. It's a good club and obedient but you need to give it the right orders. I find this to be the case with clubs in general. You just need to find the right marriage.

Shambles

Archived