Club options and pricing are killing me.

JBones

Warranty was already touched on, but can you imagine the costs involved in all of this? Inventory and logistical nightmare for the companies. With all of the heads being all over the map with lofts, face angles, and weights and now categorizing all of it? Wow.

I love this idea, but I don't think it will ever come to fruition. If you want the opportunities with equipment that come with being a tour player, the easiest way to get access to that is become one. Good luck! :P

Also, if you don't have a consistent swing (good, consistent ball striker), then who cares how exact your equipment is built because you can't benefit from it.

That's exactly it. Too much cost. Not to mention the leftover inventory incurs a tax at the end of the fiscal year... who wants to pay for over-ordering ATTAS's and Iomics?

There's not one person that would benefit from knowing if their driver is 10.3* or 10.5. 9.5 or 10.5, not so much- especially if you believe the loft/launch angle effect TMaG gave Golf Spy T in the haircut article. Or if your face angle is .5* closed and not square. Or if your clubhead weighs 203g and not 200g (3g is normal tolerance). Or if the COR's .82 and not .83 (a whopping 2 yards difference!). You'd be making the experience a LOT more expensive than it'd need to be, which would likely only result in pissing you off for things that aren't truly relevant. I don't know about you, but that's not my cup of tea.

Just do what I do, refuse to buy new. I haven't bought a new c,ub bar wedges in 4-5 years. I still seem to score and play pretty well. Paying retail $$ suck.

That's what I do, it's the only way golf can be affordable. I've bought 3x more shafts in the last five years, than I have clubs, which is one reason I'd like a head only option. My game seems to be in fairly good shape with what I have, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

• SPY VIP

That's what I do, it's the only way golf can be affordable. I've bought 3x more shafts in the last five years, than I have clubs, which is one reason I'd like a head only option. My game seems to be in fairly good shape with what I have, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Sorta makes the case for adjustable/interchangeable drivers doesn't it? As much as I believe everyone should GO GET FIT, I'm a tinkerer at heart, and I do like to occasionally try out different shafts. Of course, when you find a shaft you like, and a new model of your favorite driver comes out, it's also nice to be able to drop that shaft in to a new head without the hassle and risk of a shaft puller and epoxy.

While it's nice that GolfWorks has aftermarket tips available for most adjustable drivers on the market today, I still give all due credit to TaylorMade for making their OEM tips available at retail. Shame on everybody else.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Sorta makes the case for adjustable/interchangeable drivers doesn't it? As much as I believe everyone should GO GET FIT, I'm a tinkerer at heart, and I do like to occasionally try out different shafts. Of course, when you find a shaft you like, and a new model of your favorite driver comes out, it's also nice to be able to drop that shaft in to a new head without the hassle and risk of a shaft puller and epoxy.

While it's nice that GolfWorks has aftermarket tips available for most adjustable drivers on the market today, I still give all due credit to TaylorMade for making their OEM tips available at retail. Shame on everybody else.

One of the reasons I loved the FT9 was because it is an iMix. I have never been bought into the "adjustable" clubs All the early ones did was basically the same thing as taking a stronger or weaker grip and adjust the swing plane. But i have never played with one so they maybe worth it. However, interchangable shafts are awesome. I have been trying to find the right combination for my 909D3 and the shaft that is great in the FT9 spins too much in the 909D3, so it is a stick in and glue. That means I can only test one shaft per day, not to mention the difficulty of getting the old shaft out without damaging it.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I'm also a tinkerer and what you said is the main reason I'm leaning towards TM when I do finally buy a new driver.

I have never been bought into the "adjustable" clubs All the early ones did was basically the same thing as taking a stronger or weaker grip and adjust the swing plane.

I was the same way, but I'm really starting to reconsider. After building clubs for a little while now, it's pretty obvious that you cannot get a club that fits you perfectly unless it's adjustable. The adjustable clubs give you much better loft options and the weight ports make it easy to switch shafts (lighter shaft = lighter SW).

I just wish the component manufacturers would make a driver/fairway with an adjustable hosel and weight ports (I still don't totally buy the ASP plate concept). The BM3 is the closet component I've seen with adjustability, but it's lacking the hosel to tweak loft. Right now, I'm seriously considering a R11 so I can move to a shorter driver than what I have. I may hold off until the end of the season and get one on closeout when the R12 or R11 super tri is released.

... I have been trying to find the right combination for my 909D3 and the shaft that is great in the FT9 spins too much in the 909D3, so it is a stick in and glue. That means I can only test one shaft per day, not to mention the difficulty of getting the old shaft out without damaging it.

I'm only now putting my 909 D3 into play. I bought it experienced, head only, but had an old Roddio that needed a home. The head looked nice and it was cheap so I bought it. The 909 D3 has a poor reputation amongst my golfer friends so it goes cheap.

I assembled it myself and immediately disliked the feel because it needed too much attention, so I retired it for a better day. I worked with friendlier drivers until recently when I thought I could finally handle the 909 D3. So far, it's working well for me.

Some clubs need a bit of time for you to become able to appreciate them. It's a good club and obedient but you need to give it the right orders. I find this to be the case with clubs in general. You just need to find the right marriage.

Shambles